/* */

PDA

View Full Version : IB Arabic Writing Contest - Brainstorm

Na7lah
08-22-2009, 10:32 PM
:sl:

First Arabic Writing Contest!

Ok, so there'll be two categories? One for the arabic speaker where they have to write minimum 500 words, and one for the non arabic speakers with a minimum of 200 words. Agreed? Yes? No? Please state below..

Deadline? Sometime after Ramadan?

And judges? We need 3 to 5 judges. (Must be fluent arabic speakers) If you're willing to judge PM Danah or Me and we'll put your name down in the list.

Any other comments or suggestions, please post.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Danah
08-22-2009, 10:44 PM
^ jazaki Allah khair sis for that

we need all participants to post and choose the level they want here so we will be having an initial view of how many participants we will get inshaAllah

Sarahd
08-23-2009, 05:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Na7lah

First Arabic Writing Contest!

Ok, so there'll be two categories? One for the arabic speaker where they have to write minimum 500 words, and one for the non arabic speakers with a minimum of 200 words. Agreed? Yes? No? Please state below..

Deadline? Sometime after Ramadan?

And judges? We need 3 to 5 judges. (Must be fluent arabic speakers) If you're willing to judge PM Danah or Me and we'll put your name down in the list.

Any other comments or suggestions, please post.
No sister i don't agree, for a non arabic speaker it should be only 100 words!:cry:

Danah
08-23-2009, 11:50 AM
^ don't you think sis that 100 words is very short to write story?
you may not even explain a story in 100 words!

Can I ask sis, how far you are in learning Arabic?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhaba
08-23-2009, 01:02 PM
well, i am so excited. I can't wait to submit the story.

Sarahd
08-23-2009, 01:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
^ don't you think sis that 100 words is very short to write story?
you may not even explain a story in 100 words!

Can I ask sis, how far you are in learning Arabic?

ok...ok 200.:D
I am not realy far in Arabic but i'll tell my sis to write, she realy knows her Arabic well.

Soulja Girl
08-23-2009, 05:46 PM

I say non Arabic speakers should have 250 words to write cuz then it won't be so fair on teh Arabic speakers, what say you all?

And yesh, I'd like ter participate. :)

:wa:

ژاله
08-25-2009, 11:49 AM
^ i dont think 50 words are doing any injustice to arabic speekers. their arabic will be far better than us anyway,its us who need some relaxation,dont you think so?

Muhaba
08-25-2009, 12:02 PM
50 or 100 words are way too little. It's a challenge to write a story in 100 words or fewer. I expect my story will be over 500 words.

Nájlá
08-25-2009, 09:34 PM
200 words for non arabic speakers and 500 words for arabic speakers is fine.

This sounds good i might take part...

If i do participate can i join the non arabic speakers? I know i can speak arabic but its not that good and my reading and writting is really bad!

or won't that be fair?

hmm okay if i can't then I'll try to participate anyway.

Will there be a theme? or can we write about anything but has to be islamic etc?

:)

Soulja Girl
08-25-2009, 09:58 PM

200 + 50 Another 50 more words won't do any harm :p Come on peeps, use your brains :D

Nájlá
08-25-2009, 10:03 PM
fine, fine just for crazy ladeh we'll add another 50 <_< but hey its not upto me :X

Danah
08-25-2009, 11:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sarahd
ok...ok 200.:D
I am not realy far in Arabic but i'll tell my sis to write, she realy knows her Arabic well.
well, then I think she will need to register first in the board then submit her entry inshaAllah

format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady

I say non Arabic speakers should have 250 words to write cuz then it won't be so fair on teh Arabic speakers, what say you all?

And yesh, I'd like ter participate. :)

No dear, lets make it 200 words as a minimum, I know many non-arabic-speakers will think its hard to write 250 words
Arabic speakers can write more than 500 hundreds words without any problem.

format_quote Originally Posted by Luloah
200 words for non arabic speakers and 500 words for arabic speakers is fine.

This sounds good i might take part...

If i do participate can i join the non arabic speakers? I know i can speak arabic but its not that good and my reading and writting is really bad!

or won't that be fair?

hmm okay if i can't then I'll try to participate anyway.

Will there be a theme? or can we write about anything but has to be islamic etc?

:)
I think you dear have to be with the Arabic speakers because that will not be fair to the other group :)

about the theme, you can write about anything but within the Islamic limit as you said sis
format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady

200 + 50 Another 50 more words won't do any harm :p Come on peeps, use your brains :D

as I said dear, 200 will be the minimum and you can write more if you want

any more concerns brothers and sisters?

syilla
08-26-2009, 04:30 AM
this is so hard :uuh:

malayloveislam
08-26-2009, 07:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
200 words minimum I guess is about two or three short paragraphs. How can we send our entries?

Maybe you can introduce about yourselves using a dictionary if you don't know some words, that's the most simple thing, but you will find so many things to tell and surprisingly using many range of words, give it a chance :statisfie

syilla
08-26-2009, 07:41 AM
^^^ still...

to compete with them. I'm not from a religious school... so erm... :uuh:

But you can go ahead :D

Muhaba
08-26-2009, 09:32 AM
^I first wrote the story in english, then wrote it arabic transliterated in english (that is, english letters) becuase i can type english faster than i can type or write arabic and I needed to keep the thoughts flowing. now i have to type it in arabic. It's pretty easy that way. you can do it too.

Nájlá
08-26-2009, 10:15 AM
I think you dear have to be with the Arabic speakers because that will not be fair to the other group :)

about the theme, you can write about anything but within the Islamic limit as you said sis
Okay sounds good and I'll try to write something....

Oh btw does this have to be in al fusha? or? I think if we write in al fusha that would be much easier because otherwise you'll end up having entries with mix arabic...

Danah
08-26-2009, 02:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
I think it will be very challenging if you write a story of 100 words!! it will be very short that you yourself will not be able to describe it very well

Listen dear! I know you are scared of the words number, so dont think about it now, just start on writing the story and after finish it count the words and you will find that you yourself write more than what u expect yourself to write

format_quote Originally Posted by malayloveislam
200 words minimum I guess is about two or three short paragraphs. How can we send our entries?

Maybe you can introduce about yourselves using a dictionary if you don't know some words, that's the most simple thing, but you will find so many things to tell and surprisingly using many range of words, give it a chance :statisfie
Exactly, you are right

and the entries due date will be after Ramadan, but it isnt decided yet, we will announce it after a week or so inshaAllah

format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
^I first wrote the story in english, then wrote it arabic transliterated in english (that is, english letters) becuase i can type english faster than i can type or write arabic and I needed to keep the thoughts flowing. now i have to type it in arabic. It's pretty easy that way. you can do it too.
very good way indeed :)

format_quote Originally Posted by Luloah
Okay sounds good and I'll try to write something....

Oh btw does this have to be in al fusha? or? I think if we write in al fusha that would be much easier because otherwise you'll end up having entries with mix arabic...
sure dear, you have to write it in Fusha

Soulja Girl
08-26-2009, 09:10 PM

^Fusha meanin Quran Arabic riighttt??? :?

Danah
08-26-2009, 11:21 PM
^ yeah it is the Quran Arabic

Pen Marks
08-27-2009, 12:17 AM
I want to join too :D I speak Araby, so I'm with the Arabic speakers.

Danah
08-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Just wanna clarify something here.

because I got some questions about that issue
For those who will participate, you don't have to write the story by your hand, its okay if you wanna type it in your computer, but if you dont have Arabic keyboard you can write it in a paper and scan it...

either ways are fine inshaAllah as long as it will be clear :)

bint_ali
09-07-2009, 06:15 PM
this sounds like a great idea I wana join in inshAllah.

I am a non Arabic speaker so I would be doing the 200 word count or is it 250?

What do we do introduce ourselves or something?

Is this the thread everyone is posting their stories in?

Danah
09-07-2009, 10:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bint_ali
this sounds like a great idea I wana join in inshAllah.
I am a non Arabic speaker so I would be doing the 200 word count or is it 250?
you can write from 200 to 250 words inshaAllah

What do we do introduce ourselves or something?
You mean what you will write? if so then you have to write a short story about anything you want, but you gotta make sure that its not about something un-islamic

Is this the thread everyone is posting their stories in?
No sis, this thread is just to get the participants ideas or questions about the contest itself, and about the entries we will decide later the judges who will receive the entries from participants as PMs inshaAllah.

Muhaba
09-07-2009, 11:08 PM
will the judges know who wrote which story and will members be able to read each others' stories

Danah
09-07-2009, 11:38 PM
^ there will be one judge who will receive all entries and then the judge will forward all entries to the other judges without the names of the writers.

After the contest done and the winners be announced we will post all entries in another thread so each one will get benefit of reading the other stories. Its up to participant if they dont want stories to be anonymous without their names though

Danah
09-23-2009, 09:29 PM
One more question for those who are welling to participate.

How long you think you will need to write your stories? we are about to specify a due date for receiving your entries inshaAllah

Muhaba
09-25-2009, 07:27 AM
I think it should be maximum one month. Shouldn't take longer than that insha-Allah.

Caller الداعي
09-25-2009, 11:29 AM
im ready inshallah sounds very intresting!

Caller الداعي
09-25-2009, 11:29 AM
but 1 month is too much time

Danah
09-25-2009, 04:44 PM

Well, what about 3 weeks?

malayloveislam
09-26-2009, 12:05 PM

Well, what about 3 weeks?
3 weeks are cool :statisfie I've just coming home from my village for Eidulfitri and now I'm going to start my writing and scan it in my PC insya-Allah... I'm excited to read others' writing as well :p

Caller الداعي
09-26-2009, 03:20 PM
cool 3 weeks so when shall is the deadline i mean date?

Muhaba
09-26-2009, 05:04 PM
I have already written mine, so i don't need a month. I just need to type it in Arabic. it may take a week. I just thought everybody else might need longer. Three weeks are fine with me.

Danah
09-27-2009, 06:19 PM

okay then we will have it for three weeks

I will announce the exact due date in another thread along with the rules inshaAllah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.