/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Smelly breath in Ramadan

Hamayun
08-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Salam Alaikum my Brothers and Sisters,

I know this is probably a silly question but what can I do about my smelly breath during fasting?

I work with Non Muslim colleagues who sit on the same desk as me and can smell my breath when I speak to them :(

They didn't say anything but I can tell from their facial expression :embarrass

What can I do about it?

Am I allowed to rinse my mouth with mouthwash? (Non Alcoholic of course).

Jazakallah khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
mohammed_alim
08-23-2009, 12:24 AM
when u wake up in the morning b4 fajr to eat brush ur teeth b4 eating and after uv finished eating b4 going back to sleep dats if u are.. use mouthwash for 1min and str8 after brush ur teeth with toothpaste. it really works!

Alphadude
08-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Fasting and bad breath during Ramadan may come hand in hand, and a lot of this has to do with the dryness of the mouth during the fast. This is not unexpected. With no food and water, your salivary glands are not producing enough saliva to keep your breath fresh. Naturally, this results in bad breath.

There are many ways to deal with fasting and bad breath during Ramadan without crossing any line. First of all, the main thing you need to do is to continue to brush your teeth normally. Just be absolutely sure that you don't swallow anything. Even if you're not eating during the day, you should still brush your teeth when you wake up like you always would. You then want to brush them after eating at Sehri. Some Muslims recommend using a Siwak or tooth stick to keep the mouth fresh and clean during Ramadan.

There are other things that you can do as well. Often, having a dry mouth can cause bad breath. During Sehri, if you drink 2 to 3 glasses of water, it should help with this. Drinking plenty of water will help keep your mouth from drying out, and causing bad breath. It may also help keep you hydrated during the next day. You should also remember to floss between your teeth as part of your normal dental hygiene routine. Mouthwash is acceptable for Ramadan as well, since you are not actually swallowing anything. However, you should stay away from alcohol based mouthwashes since they can dry the mouth out more and make the problem worse.

To summarize, remember to brush your teeth normally during Ramadan, floss, use mouthwash or a Siwak, and remember dont forget to brush your tongue, and remember to drink plenty of water. Following these tips will help you avoid bad breath during Ramadan or other fasting times.

Rasema
08-23-2009, 01:01 AM
Assalamu Alikum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatuh

To remind you,don't swallow water or anything while fasting.

Just don't talk to them then. Sorry,can't help. "....The changed breath in the mouth of the faster is more fragrant to Allah than the scent of musk."

Try these tips.

http://www.righthealth.com/Health/Ba...-sb-7460722696

In a variant of Muslim, "Every action of the son of Adam is multiplied. A good action receives from ten to seven hundred times. Allah Almighty said, "Fasting is Mine and I repay it. He leaves his appetites and food for My sake. The faster experiences two joys: a joy when he breaks his fast and a joy when he meets his Lord. The changed breath in the mouth of the faster is more fragrant to Allah than the scent of musk."

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamayun
08-23-2009, 01:05 AM
Jazakallah for all your replys. I will try the above mentioned. :)

Beardo
08-23-2009, 01:11 AM
I have the same problem, except at school. lol

Alphadude
08-23-2009, 01:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
I have the same problem, except at school. lol
what do u do then about it can u share the secret lol

Beardo
08-23-2009, 01:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by khalid84
what do u do then about it can u share the secret lol
Well, I brush my teeth right before Suhoor time ends, and my school ends before noon, and I typically don't sleep after Suhoor, so the smell only starts to come at school...

جوري
08-23-2009, 01:50 AM
if you truly can't remedy your bad breath with the usual methods, then just speak through a tissue...

like this

also try the body mint although that will take a good four weeks to take effect.. mouth wash is good..

:w:

Gubbleknucker
08-23-2009, 02:32 AM
Scrape/brush the back of your tongue until it is clean, then rinse well.
If you get all of the bacteria out, your breath will not smell.

nebula
08-23-2009, 02:37 AM
Question: Is it permissible for one who is fasting to use toothpaste during the day?

Response: It is permissible for one who is fasting to use toothpaste , being careful that nothing from the solution goes down his throat. It is preferable he clean his mouth with a miswaak and other than it from that which doesn't reach the throat, just as one should not exaggerate whilst gargling the water in the mouth during ablution (wudoo).

Shaykh Ibn Fowzaan
Fataawa Ramadhaan - Volume 2, Page 496, Fatwa No. 445;
al-Muntaqaa min Fatawaa ash-Shaykh Saalih ibn Fowzaan - Volume 3, Fatwa No. 158

www.fatwa-online.com

Najm
08-23-2009, 03:32 AM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Alhamdulillah!! Wow you only have it during Ramadhan!! Some of the brothers, have it all 12 months ;D MarshaAllah thats a lot of fasting!:embarrass

My suggestion is to (in order)....

1) Drink plenty of water
2) Eat fruit

3) Brush your teeth
4) Scrape you tongue
5) Antibacterial mouthwashes

Hope you smell well :D

FiAmaaniAllah

Ramisa
08-23-2009, 04:19 AM
:sl:

My friend also has foul breath..:embarrass..I gave her these suggestions:
•Have a better diet in Iftaari.
•Brush your teeth throughly.
•Avoid eating garlic and onions for your Iftaari.

All the best as I may have to use these when school resumes,Insha'Allah.May Allah make it easier for you and all Muslim males and females.

:w:

aadil77
08-23-2009, 10:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nebula
Question: Is it permissible for one who is fasting to use toothpaste during the day?

Response: It is permissible for one who is fasting to use toothpaste , being careful that nothing from the solution goes down his throat. It is preferable he clean his mouth with a miswaak and other than it from that which doesn't reach the throat, just as one should not exaggerate whilst gargling the water in the mouth during ablution (wudoo).

Shaykh Ibn Fowzaan
Fataawa Ramadhaan - Volume 2, Page 496, Fatwa No. 445;
al-Muntaqaa min Fatawaa ash-Shaykh Saalih ibn Fowzaan - Volume 3, Fatwa No. 158

www.fatwa-online.com
I knew it, you are allowed to brush your teeth :shade:

Far7an
08-23-2009, 11:16 AM
:sl:

Use a siwak.

Misz_Muslimah
08-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Asalamalaikum wa rahmatu laahi wa barakaatu

Brush your teeth regulary, scrape your tongue and use mouth wash

Hamayun
08-23-2009, 12:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Alhamdulillah!! Wow you only have it during Ramadhan!! Some of the brothers, have it all 12 months ;D MarshaAllah thats a lot of fasting!:embarrass

My suggestion is to (in order)....

1) Drink plenty of water
2) Eat fruit
3) Brush your teeth
4) Scrape you tongue
5) Antibacterial mouthwashes

Hope you smell well :D

FiAmaaniAllah

Haha! :D

Jazakallah to all of you for your replies. I will give this a try and keep you all updated with the status of my breath :D

Hamayun
08-25-2009, 07:25 AM
I have had some success :D

Drank about 6 glasses of water at Sehri time, brushed after Iftar, then brushed again after Sehri and used mouthwash, brushed again in the morning.

Only problem with drinking that much water is that you end up going to the toilet like 5 times in the night :D

Also I wear very strong perfume to mask the bad odour :D

syilla
08-25-2009, 07:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun
I have had some success :D

Drank about 6 glasses of water at Sehri time, brushed after Iftar, then brushed again after Sehri and used mouthwash, brushed again in the morning.

Only problem with drinking that much water is that you end up going to the toilet like 5 times in the night :D

Also I wear very strong perfume to mask the bad odour :D
Ukhtee... Just remember this hadith.

The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, "Every good deed of the son of Adam will be multiplied. He will receive ten-fold to seven hundred fold reward for a good deed. Allah the Glorious and Majestic has said 'but fasting is exceptional, for it is done for Me and I will give reward for it, since one abandons his passion and food for My sake. There are two occasions of joy for one who fasts, joy when he breaks it and joy when he meets his Lord; and the breath (of an observer of fast) is sweeter to Allah than the fragrance of musk." [Related by AI-Bukhari and Muslim].

so i guess if you have a worse bad breath...than InshaAllah is much sweeter to Allah swt .

Not that i'm translating it literally...huhu

Hamayun
08-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Jazakallah for that Sis :)

I hope I am not disappointing Allah by trying to be too hygeinic.

Muslimah4Eva x
08-26-2009, 04:05 PM
The smell of a fasting muslim is more beloved to Allah than musk (perfume) because that person is fasting for the sake of Allah (Abstaining fom eating and drinking)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.