/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Feel like crap... ugh

convert
08-23-2009, 01:36 PM
So I am traveling today (across 4 time zones, in fact) and will be making up my fast. I am sitting in an airport and I see brothers and sisters working here who I know are fasting and I just... well... I feel like garbage. Its like I let Allah down but I know its permissible for the traveler to make up a fast. Anyone else ever go through this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
08-23-2009, 01:39 PM
It's perfectly acceptable for a traveler to break his fast, there is nothing to feel bad about- halal is halal.

IbnAbdulHakim
08-23-2009, 06:29 PM
lol may Allah bless you

Allah is most merciful and has allowed islam to be easy for us Alhamdulillaah.

Take comfort in that :)

zakirs
08-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Wow you are awesome.I traveled last 2 ramadaans losing 2-3 fasts and never that bad :( .i envy your imaan :(

Quran says that its ok for travelers if they don't fast :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Misz_Muslimah
08-23-2009, 09:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zakirs
Wow you are awesome.I traveled last 2 ramadaans losing 2-3 fasts and never that bad :( .i envy your imaan :(

Quran says that its ok for travelers if they don't fast :)
In the Name of Allâh, the Most
Beneficent, the Most Merciful.

1. Say: "I seek refuge with (Allâh) the Lord of the daybreak,

2. "From the evil of what He has created;

3. "And from the evil of the darkening (night) as it comes with its darkness; (or the moon as it sets or goes away).

4. "And from the evil of the witchcrafts when they blow in the knots,

5. "And from the evil of the envier when he envies."

"Or do they envy men (Muhammad (PBUH) and his followers) for what Allah has given them of His Bounty?'' (4:54)

Envy is one of the major sins which are bound to destroy virtues as fast as the fire burns the wood and dry grass to ashes.

GreyKode
08-23-2009, 09:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by convert
So I am traveling today (across 4 time zones, in fact) and will be making up my fast. I am sitting in an airport and I see brothers and sisters working here who I know are fasting and I just... well... I feel like garbage. Its like I let Allah down but I know its permissible for the traveler to make up a fast. Anyone else ever go through this?
I am will go through the same thing tomorrow :(. But I'll try to keep my fast insha'allah.

zakirs
08-24-2009, 06:07 PM

Envy is one of the major sins which are bound to destroy virtues as fast as the fire burns the wood and dry grass to ashes.
Oops .. :(
may god forgive me :(

ژاله
08-24-2009, 11:20 PM
theres a hadith that says that good people are those who dont fast when they are travelling. may be someone can provide you with the complete text and reference.
so nothing to bother about inshAllah:) you wont be doing excellent had you been fasting while travelling,so mashAllah you are following what islam says,so why be sad? be happy....
I am will go through the same thing tomorrow . But I'll try to keep my fast insha'allah
it will be better if you dont.
wsalam.

ژاله
08-24-2009, 11:38 PM
well i couldnt find the hadith but i remember the essence was: good people are those who dont fast while they are travelling or sick and enjoy qasr,i.e avail the concessions they are allowed. the rawi is i think Imran bin Hussain RA.and i read this(not exactly sure) in lulu' wal marjan,so its muttafaq 3alaih,unless my memory is not terribly misleading me!
can anyone find this? any particularly good website for such purposes?
edit: i found this from islamicvoice though
“Narrated Hafs Ibne Asim that he accompanied Abdullah Ibne Umar in a journey to Makkah. He led him (and others with them) in two rakats of Zuhar. When he came back to the tent he saw people offering salat and asked what they were doing. Hafs answered they were offering nafils. Ibne Umar said: If I had to offer nafil also I would have preferred to offer my farz (of four rakats). I have accompanied the Prophet (Pbuh) and he did not offer more than two rakats (of Zohar, Asr and Isha). Abu Bakr, Umar and Usman also practised likewise”. (Bukhari, Muslim)

Salahudeen
08-24-2009, 11:47 PM
^ Allah loves it when a slave takes advantage of his mercy like the traveller who prays 2 rakaats instead of 4. Umar was travelling with the prophet pbuh and said I can read 4 easily but the messenger told him to shorten it cos Allah likes it when a slave takes advantage of his mercy.

The same with fasting

Danah
08-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Its totally alright to break his fast brother

and to be more sure about that here is the fatwa for that:

If a fasting person travels during the day, he is allowed to break his fast
If I intended to fast from the night before, and I started fasting in the morning, then I decided to travel during the day, is it permissible for me to break my fast or do I have to complete it?.

Praise be to Allaah.
Yes, it is permissible for a fasting person to break his fast if he travels during the day. This is the view of Imam Ahmad (may Allaah have mercy on him).
See al-Mughni, 4/345.
This is indicated by the Qur’aan and Sunnah.
Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days”
[al-Baqarah 2:185]
Whoever sets out during the day is “on a journey” so he may break his fast and avail himself of the concession granted to travelers.
With regard to the Sunnah: Ahmad (26690) and Abu Dawood (2412) narrated that ‘Ubayd ibn Jabr said: I traveled with Abu Basrah al-Ghifaari, the companion of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), in a ship from al-Fustaat in Ramadaan. He set off then lunch was brought (according to a report narrated by Ahmad: when we sent off from Marsana he ordered that his food be brought). Then he said: ‘Come and eat.’ I said, ‘Can’t we still see the houses?’ Abu Basrah said: ‘Don’t you want to follow the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)?!’
Ibn al-Qayyim said in Tahdheeb al-Sunan:
This is evidence for those who say that it is permissible for the traveler to break his fast on the day on which he travels during the day. This is one of the two reports narrated from Imam Ahmad, and the view of ‘Amr ibn Shurahbeel, al-Shu’bi and Ishaaq. It was also narrated from Anas and it is the view of Dawood and Ibn al-Mundhir.
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 25/212.
If a traveler sets out during the day, is it permissible for him to break his fast? There are two well-known scholarly views, both of which were narrated from Ahmad. The more likely to be correct says that that is permissible, as it is proven in al-Sunan that some of the Sahaabah used to break the fast if they set out during the day, and they said that this was the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). And it is proven in al-Saheeh that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) intended to fast on a journey then he called for water and broke his fast while the people were looking on.
See al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 6/217.
But he should not do that until he has started his journey and left his city. It is not permissible for him to break his fast while he is still in his city.
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said in al-Sharh al-Mumti’ (6/218):
If he sets out during the day, he is allowed to break his fast, but is that subject to the condition that he leaves his village first, or if he has decided to travel can he break his fast (before departure)?
The answer is that two views have been narrated from the salaf. The correct view is that he should not break his fast until he has left his city or village, because he is not yet traveling, rather he has the intention of traveling. Hence it is not permissible for him to shorten his prayers until he has left his town, so by the same token it is not permissible for him to break his fast until he has left his town.

Islam Q&A
source

convert
08-25-2009, 03:51 AM
well, i was in alaska for the first day of the fast (little before 4am until around 10pm) and left the next day. i would have tried to fast that day but traveling that far back to the east coast would have really complicated things. i can just make up the day whenever throughout the year, correct?

Hidaya
08-25-2009, 03:55 AM
Yes, I believe you can make it up any time of the year. (:

Subhanallah, I'm traveling overseas next week, and I don't think I would have ever felt or thought like that, Mashallah at your Imaan :thumbs_up

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.