/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Beating wife?

Mohamed_
08-23-2009, 11:24 PM
I was looking on the internet for some extra informations about the Islam family, then I've found this. I'd like to share it with you and ask your opinions!

A muslim man was talking about how to control a wife. I don't know it's allowed to beat a wife.

He was saying this "If the husband wants to use beatings to treat his wife, he must never ever do it in front of a children. It must remain between him and her. It must be done according to the following conditions: He must not cause or bruise her body. He should avoid her face and other sensitive parts of her body. As we've said, the limitaions on beating are: The must not cause bleeding, they should not break any bones, they should not be on the face and they should not bruise her.
If the husband violates these rules, he violates the rules of Allah. If she has been hurt, the husband is liable for what he has done, because the woman is not his merchandise.
He cannot do to her whatever he wants. Even if the wife forgives his husband, it does not mean the same Allah will do the same on Judgment Day."

So, is it true or false? And what do you think about it?

I could never hurt a girl, especially a wife. If I ever have a wife, I would never hurt her or make her sad!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuestFellow
08-24-2009, 03:38 AM
Asslamu Alikum.

I know some Muslim men feel they have the right to hit or beat their wives. In the Quran there is one verse that speaks of it from my knowledge. It is mentioned specifically in connection with divorce proceedings in cases of wife's nushuz (refusal to listen to reason).

''As to those women on whose part you fear nushuz (disloyalty and ill-conduct), rebuke them, and refuse to share their beds, beat (or overcome) them; if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance).''

Surah 4.34

It is now important to refer to the Sunnah of the Prophet P.B.U.H.

The Prophet made is very clear:

1. He never used this sanction.
2. He never struck any women (or children)
3. He pointed out that a man could hardly hit his wife and then expects her to share his bed later that night.
4. The Prophet despised any sort of abuse.

If a husband who had not been at fault that his wife was conducting herself to his shame, then as a protector of his household he should not just ignore it but it is his duty to do something about it.

Nushuz or rebellion meant ill-will every kind of deliberate bad behaviour of a wife towards a husband and family (including children of the family, old people or dependent household staff). With luck it would be enough to draw attention verbally and resolve this matter through communication.

The next verse advised if the marriage was breaking up, then the court should call in help of two supporters one for each spouse, who would listen to everything that needed saying and help claim things down. If the couple wish for peace, Allah will show a way of reconciliation.

There was never any suggestion that one spouse should ever hit the other out of anger, frustration, irritation, annoyance or disappointment. People would ultimately be held accountable for that kind of behaviour on the Day of Judgement.

The husband cannot bruise his wife. The wife can sue the husband if he had beaten her.

''A wife has no religious obligation to take a beating. She can ask for and get a divorce any time...If the husband beats a wife without respecting the limits set down by the Qur'an she can take him to court and if ruled in favour has the right to apply law of retaliation and may have the husband beaten as he beat her''

{Dr Ahmad Shafaat}

Only REASONABLE force should be used. Not to leave any mark and not to hurt the wife either. Like a slap on the wrist.

Hope this answers your question.

format_quote Originally Posted by Mohammed_
I could never hurt a girl, especially a wife. If I ever have a wife, I would never hurt her or make her sad!
It's fine. Then don't do it.

Zarmina
08-24-2009, 03:41 AM
Beating your wife is not allowed in Islam. Not even "reasonable force". Period. No beating. Women are not men's possession to be beaten.

GuestFellow
08-24-2009, 03:44 AM
^This topic has been discussed before...

http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...e-beating.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.