/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Brushing your teeth

Omar_4
08-24-2009, 04:22 AM
You know those morning when you wake up in Ramadan and your mouth is dry and your breath isn't pleasant....well, i brush my teeth. Some people say its okay while other say it is not permitted. Many of my peers skip the step of rinsing their mouth during Wudu in Ramadan...I don't. I was just curious if someone could elaborate on the topic and give me your reasoning if it is permitted or not.

Thank you, Ramadan Mubarak

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
happynur
08-24-2009, 08:48 AM
it is permitted bro. prophet muhammad did so. called seewak...

there are hadith for this also... next time i will quote for you...

:)

zakirs
08-24-2009, 09:22 AM
My friend says we cannot do brush but only seewak .. Can anybody clarify this also .. please ? :sl:

Aayah
08-24-2009, 11:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Omar_4
You know those morning when you wake up in Ramadan and your mouth is dry and your breath isn't pleasant....well, i brush my teeth. Some people say its okay while other say it is not permitted. Many of my peers skip the step of rinsing their mouth during Wudu in Ramadan...I don't. I was just curious if someone could elaborate on the topic and give me your reasoning if it is permitted or not.

:sl:

bro it's makr'uu (undesirable) 2 brush ur teeth and if u brush ur teeth and water or tooth past go down ur throat ur fast will break.Qada will become waajib but not kaffarah.

hope this will help u inshallah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Salahudeen
08-24-2009, 11:44 AM
QUOTE(Fatwah Online)
Using toothpaste, ear, nose and eye drops whilst fasting

Question: What is the ruling concerning toothpaste, ear drops, nose drops and eye drops for one who is fasting?

Response: In the Name of Allaah and all Praise is for Allaah. Cleaning the teeth with toothpaste does not break the fast just as using the miswaak doesn't. He needs to be careful that nothing passes down (his throat) to his stomach. However, if this happens without intention, he does not have to make this fast up. The same applies to eye and ear drops, that is, they do not break the fast according to the correct of the two opinions. But, should he find the taste of these drops in his throat, it is safer to make up this fast although it is not obligatory. This (being not obligatory) is because they (the eyes and the ears) are not an inlet for food and drink. As for nose drops, then these are not permissible, as they are an inlet. Because of this, the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) said: ((Exaggerate in taking water into the nose (during ablution) except if you are fasting)). So, one who does this must make up (the fast) due to this hadeeth and that which constitutes this and thus finds its taste in his throat.

And Allaah is the Provider of Success.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz
Fataawa Ramadhaan - Volume 2, Page 511, Fatwa No. 473;
Majmoo' Fataawa Samaahatu ash-Shaykh 'Abdul Azeez ibn 'Abdullaah ibn Baaz

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
08-24-2009, 11:51 AM

The use of the miswaak either before or after zawaal is a Sunnah as it is a Sunnah at other than these times. This is because the Hadeeth regarding the use of the miswaak is general and does not exempt the one who is fasting either before zawaal or after zawaal. The Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) said: ((The miswaak is a purifier for the mouth, (and) much liked by the Lord, . . .)). Also, he (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) said: ((If it were not that I feared inconvenience for my Ummah, I would have ordered them to use the miswaak before each prayer)).

Fataawa Ramadhaan - Volume 2, Page 491, Fatwa No. 440;
al-Fataawa libni 'Uthaymeen - Kitaab ad-Da'wah, Volume 1, Page 167

It is permissible for one who is fasting to use toothpaste , being careful that nothing from the solution goes down his throat. It is preferable he clean his mouth with a miswaak and other than it from that which doesn't reach the throat, just as one should not exaggerate whilst gargling the water in the mouth during ablution (wudoo).

Fataawa Ramadhaan - Volume 2, Page 496, Fatwa No. 445;
al-Muntaqaa min Fatawaa ash-Shaykh Saalih ibn Fowzaan - Volume 3, Fatwa No. 158

Cleaning the teeth with toothpaste does not break the fast just as using the miswaak doesn't. He needs to be careful that nothing passes down (his throat) to his stomach. However, if this happens without intention, he does not have to make this fast up. The same applies to eye and ear drops, that is, they do not break the fast according to the correct of the two opinions. But, should he find the taste of these drops in his throat, it is safer to make up this fast although it is not obligatory. This (being not obligatory) is because they (the eyes and the ears) are not an inlet for food and drink. As for nose drops, then these are not permissible, as they are an inlet. Because of this, the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) said: ((Exaggerate in taking water into the nose (during ablution) except if you are fasting)). So, one who does this must make up (the fast) due to this hadeeth and that which constitutes this and thus finds its taste in his throat.

And Allaah is the Provider of Success.:statisfie

:wa:

Sarahd
08-24-2009, 02:57 PM

Brother, It is Makruh to brush ur teeth while fasting, if toothpaste goes down the throat, the fast will break. And I dont see any way one can brush the teeth without toothpaste going down the throat.
If one gargles the mouth while fasting, and u know that u are fasting(It was not forgetful, like in your situation,) & water goes down the throat, the fast will break, Qadha will become Wajib, but not Kaffarah.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-24-2009, 05:46 PM
I don't use toothpaste but it doesn't necessarily go down your throat.

Salahudeen
08-24-2009, 06:04 PM
hmm I think different madhabs have different views on it, I know according to Hanafi Fiqh you have to make the fast up cos it's classed as broken even though it was accidental and you didn't intend for it to happen.

According to shaykh ibn baaz if you swallow the toothpaste accidently then you don't have to make the fast up but should you find the taste of toothpaste in your throat it is safer to make the fast up but not obligatory according to shaykh ibn baaz.

Omar_4
08-25-2009, 04:52 PM
I'd like to thx everyone who posted...I think I will continue brushing my teeth. God understands that I have the intentions of fasting...if i some tooth paste accidentally goes down my throat, i don't think its a big deal.

Sarahd
08-25-2009, 08:12 PM
I feel realy sorry for you brother, it is a big deal if toothpaste goes down your throat, your fast is broken. But anyway,
May Allah guide you to the straight path, Ameen.

Salahudeen
08-25-2009, 08:19 PM
His fast isn't broken if he swallow's it unintentionally according to Shaykh 'Abdul Azeez ibn 'Abdullaah ibn Baaz but it's safer to make it up but not obligatory.

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
08-25-2009, 09:09 PM
I'd like to thx everyone who posted...I think I will continue brushing my teeth. God understands that I have the intentions of fasting...if i some tooth paste accidentally goes down my throat, i don't think its a big deal.

You're most welcome to have a beneficial time here insha'Allah. It is NOT PROHIBITED to BRUSH ur teeth but you should concentrate & try your utmost best so that the toothpaste doesn't go down your throat insha'Allah as Ash-Shaykh 'Abdul Azeez ibn 'Abdullaah ibn Baaz said & i quoted once again below. . . . .

Cleaning the teeth with toothpaste does not break the fast just as using the miswaak doesn't. He needs to be careful that nothing passes down (his throat) to his stomach. However, if this happens without intention, he does not have to make this fast up.

You can visit www.fatwa-online.com for more details insha'Allah.

cat eyes
08-25-2009, 09:55 PM
i don't brush my teeth at all just incase the paste goes down my throat and it will be your fault if it dose so it will break your all fast altogether, better not to chance it! just brush your teeth before fajir..

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Am I the only one for whom it doesn't go down the throat...:p

Muslimah4Eva x
08-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Salamalaikum,

The breath of a fasting person is more beloved to Allah than perfume for that person is fasting for the sake Allah (Abstaining from eating and drinking).

Omar_4
08-26-2009, 10:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah4Eva x
Salamalaikum,

The breath of a fasting person is more beloved to Allah than perfume for that person is fasting for the sake Allah (Abstaining from eating and drinking).
Just like in the story of Moses

but when I'm at school or at work interacting with people, I just don't feel comfortable. I'm its not comfortable for them either.

Salahudeen
08-27-2009, 02:13 AM
^ doesn't go down my throat either, I know when it does cos I choke and begin to have an urge to puke that only fizzy pop can cure.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-27-2009, 02:14 AM
^^Thank God I'm not alone...:p

Salahudeen
08-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Just like in the story of Moses

but when I'm at school or at work interacting with people, I just don't feel comfortable. I'm its not comfortable for them either.
my breath smells even when i do brush my teeth lol because i get a dry mouth

abu_musab461
08-28-2009, 12:39 AM
alhmadulliah ive always been bad breath concious so i cant go for 10 minutes if i thought my breath was unpleasant. even when i wasn't muslim i use to keep up oral hygine

syilla
08-28-2009, 01:58 AM
salams...

oh well...maybe i'm wrong. :hmm: (I thought it is better to refrain onself from brushing...hmm.. i read it somewhere...)

But whatever it is it won't invalidate your fast.

Many people avoid brushing their teeth during the day in Ramadan. This is a mistake, since there is no contradiction between observing the fast and brushing one's teeth. Moreover, Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: “Were it not for the hardship that I would be placing upon my people, I would have ordered them to engage in siwâk for every prayer.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (887) and Sahîh Muslim (252)]

We must understand that the word “siwâk” does not just refer to the tree branches that are used as tooth sticks, but to the act of brushing the teeth itself. It is derived from the verb sâk, meaning to rub, clean, buff, or polish. [Tarh al-Tathrîb (2/63)]

Regarding the question of what can be used for brushing the teeth, Ibn `Abd al-Barr writes: “The siwâk of the people had been from the arâk and bashâm trees. Anything that polishes the teeth without harming them and sweetens the taste of the mouth is permitted for the purpose of brushing the teeth.” [al-Istidhkâr (3/272)]

It is permitted to brush one's teeth at any time during the day while fasting in Ramadan. As for the hadîth that reads: “When you fast, brush your teeth in the mornings, but do not brush your teeth in the afternoon.” – it is an extremely weak hadîth. It is related in Sunan al-Bayhaqî, Sunan al-Daraqutnî, and other sources. Its chain of transmission is too weak to allow it to be used as evidence.

Therefore, the ruling regarding brushing the teeth in Ramadan remains general. It is encouraged at all times. This ruling is evident in the hadîth mentioned above as well as in the hadîth: “Were it not for the hardship that I would be placing upon my people, I would have ordered them to engage in siwâk every time they perform wudû'.” This means that it is recommended to brush one's teeth after every wudû' and for every prayer, regardless of whether one is fasting or not, and regardless of whether it is in the morning of Ramadan or the afternoon. The Zuhr and `Asr prayers are include in this general ruling just as the Fajr, Maghrib, an `Ishâ' prayers are included.

In fact, there are six occasions where brushing the teeth I recommended:

1. It is recommended before each prayer.

2. It is recommended for every wudû'.

3. It is recommended when reciting the Qur'ân. The following is related by `Alî . Abî Tâlib and others: "Indeed, your mouths are pathways fro the Qur'ân, so make those pathways agreeable with siwâk." [Sunan Ibn Mâjah (291) but with a weak

4. It is recommended upon entering the home. The father of al-Miqdâm b. Shurayh had asked `Âishah: "What was the first thing that the Prophet (peace be upon him) used to do when he entered the house?" She replied that he would brush his teeth. [Sahîh Muslim (253)]

5. It s recommended when a person has bad breath. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "Siwâk cleanses the mouth and pleases the Lord." [Sunan al-Nisâ'î, (5), Musnad Ahmad (6/47) and Sunan al-Dârimî (684)]

6. It is recommended upon waking from sleep. Hudhayfah relates that when the Prophet (peace be upon him) got up at night, he would brush his teeth with a toothstick." [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

It is recommended for a Muslim to brush his or her teeth on these occasions whether or not he or she is fasting.

Some people assume that brushing the teeth while fasting is discouraged on the basis of the hadîth where the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “I swear by Him in whose hand is my soul, the khalûf of a fasting person is more pleasant to Allah than the scent of musk.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (1893) and Sahîh Muslim (1151)]

The assumption that this hadîth discourages brushing one's teeth while fasting is incorrect for two reasons:

1. The khalûf is the smell that comes from the stomach when it is empty of food and is not a smell emanating from the mouth.

2. Many scholars explain that the pleasantness of this khalûf for Allah on the Day of Judgment, as indicated by the narration of the hadîth in Sahîh Muslim: “I swear by Him in whose hand is my soul, the khalûf of a fasting person is more pleasant to Allah on the Day of Judgment than the scent of musk.” It does not relate to the affairs of this world, so brushing the teeth will have no affect on it. If anything, brushing the teeth will provide an additional dimension of pleasantness, since it is in itself something pleasing to Allah. It is something Allah enjoined upon the Muslim's through the words of His Messenger (peace be upon him).

As for any remnants of the tooth stick that may remain in the mouth of the fasting person, these should simply be removed as best as possible. The fasting person should not allow suspicions and misgivings about it to worry him. Many people go to excesses in this matter and impose upon themselves unnecessary hardships. For instance, some people go to extremes in removing what remains in their mouths after brushing their teeth or in removing the food that remains in their mouths in the morning from their pre-fasting meals. There are those who find great difficulty in inhaling water and rinsing their mouths when performing wudû'. Worse still, there are some fasting people who go to the extreme of spitting out their saliva, thereby subject themselves to a considerable degree of suffering.

All of these are difficulties and constraints that Allah has spared the Muslims from. Allah says: "Allah does not burden any soul with more than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns. (Pray): Our Lord! Condemn us not if we forget or fall into error; our Lord! Do not place on us a burden like that which You placed on those before us." [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 286]

Allah has removed from us the burdens that He had existed for the communities of faith that came before. Therefore, it behooves us to keep things easy for ourselves and for those around us in these matters.

Engaging in siwâk brings many benefits. It cleans and refreshes the mouth. It reduces phlegm. It eases the stomach and facilitates digestion. It improves the voice. It invigorates a person for the reading of the Qur'ân and for remembrance and prayer. Most importantly, it pleases our Lord. It brings joy to the angels and adds blessings to our deeds.

Sheikh Salman Al-Oadah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.