/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How Ramadan lanterns are made

جوري
08-24-2009, 06:53 AM
Media Tags are no longer supported
all the lanterns in the Arab world are hand made from Egypt, but now the Chinese want in .. but they haven't touched the Egyptian ones yet except for the small lanterns, according to this maker..

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
08-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Interesting. This thread has add my knowledge about ramadhan tradition in other places. There is no ramadhan lanterns in my country.

But Egyptian lantern makers must carefull if Chinese want to sell their ramadhan lanterns to Arab countries. Chinese always use 'Dumping strategy', sell their products in 'Imposible price'. Very cheap !.

IbnAbdulHakim
08-25-2009, 05:58 PM
do other countries do lots of decorations for the ramadan season like they do for christmas here in UK?

I would be amazing to see the city lit up to welcome ramadan

subhanAllah

Nájlá
08-25-2009, 10:21 PM
^In some arab countires they do it but not sure about other countries.

Something like this

I've seen better decorations than this one but can't find some picz at the moment.

The decorations are really amazing!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
08-25-2009, 10:35 PM
I just really love Ramadan in middle eastern countries, the feeling is magical, completely different.. too bad my nieces and nephews don't quite understand what that feeling is all about..
I remember my friend knocking on every door and all the kids would come out with our fanoos.. my parents always mad worried that we'd start a fire, and they follow us every where to make sure the candle stays in place lol
and then when they would cut off the lights, (as they often do) we'd all be walking around with our lanterns.. it was fabulous..

I had a spectacular fanoos when I was a kid, each door a different shape, everyone opens in a special style, and each compartment would have a place for just one candle.. I haven't see that style in ages.. I suppose the style evolves yearly...

:w:

Nájlá
08-25-2009, 10:44 PM
^ah memories imsad

I remember my friend knocking on every door and all the kids would come out with our fanoos.. my parents always mad worried that we'd start a fire, and they follow us every where to make sure the candle stays in place lol
....and sing Ramadan Nasheeds and our laughter fills the skies =D

I can't remember how my fanoos looked or how it worked but i think we used to light it with a lighter... not sure though :/

IbnAbdulHakim
08-25-2009, 10:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Luloah
^In some arab countires they do it but not sure about other countries.

Something like this

I've seen better decorations than this one but can't find some picz at the moment.

The decorations are really amazing!
loool those decorations just look like a huge mess!

they should put up a few in a certain pattern !

everytime i look at the picture i feel like re-arranging it :uuh:

جوري
08-25-2009, 10:55 PM
yeah we used to chant and I liked making those paper decorations.. I am not sure how we did it, but we followed patterns and when we pulled them apart they all looked the same, really cute.. we used to decorate the neighborhood....

and we had awesome fresh food every day which I never ate lol.. I remember loving Ramadan so much because I was never punished especially for throwing my food (which I had quite the history of doing) but I suspect it was because everyone was so tired all the time that no one bothered to chase me.... good days man those were good days..

جوري
08-25-2009, 10:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fighting4Iman

that is the beauty of it.. how haphazardly arranged, how everyone adds to it in a random fashion.. how everyone is genuinely interested in the festivities...:shade:

IbnAbdulHakim
08-25-2009, 11:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
that is the beauty of it.. how haphazardly arranged, how everyone adds to it in a random fashion.. how everyone is genuinely interested in the festivities...:shade:
lol i see - its about the gathering not the looks

جوري
08-25-2009, 11:03 PM
yeah I think you could say that.. I was trying to think if they would ever have anything similar in Europe.. I suppose they have occasional bazaars but this isn't a bazaar.. it is just a feeling that everyone shares I guess.. at least I assume we all share it.. it is a comforting familiar happy feeling..

Nájlá
08-25-2009, 11:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fighting4Iman

Lool they probli been put up for sale? see that boy, he looks like he's salein some decorations?

But your right they look a mess, couldn't find any better pic. Sheikh google isn't much of a help today <_<

But thats how they decorate in some countires i think....

yeah we used to chant and I liked making those paper decorations.. I am not sure how we did it, but we followed patterns and when we pulled them apart they all looked the same, really cute.. we used to decorate the neighborhood....
Like this?

We used to make some like these but i can't remember how we used to make them either... and we'd decorate our house with them including the trees =p

and the kids used to go around giving some neighbours ifataar we make... =D

جوري
08-25-2009, 11:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Luloah

Like this?
yeah but alot less professional looking.. I mean we did it ourselves and colored it.. they looked goofy but it was fun :p

جوري
08-25-2009, 11:17 PM
this is alot more realistic of how it was lol

some might call it litter .. but to us kids (of the time) it was world class decorations

syilla
08-26-2009, 04:36 AM
:salamext:

Interesting video ukhtee :)

Our tradition is usually go to masjid, visit relatives and friends, and eat, and eat and eat and eat...then the kids get their eid rm2 money then...watch tv, gather with family, kids playing through out the day.

And of course fire crackers including those that goes to the sky...which is illegal of course :hmm: :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.