/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fasting when travelling

reelss
08-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Assalam-o-Alaikum,

My job requires me to travel every week. I am currently travelling between Chicago and Los Angeles and intend to keep all my fasts. There is a 2 hour time difference (Chicago is ahead).

The question I have is when to start and end my fast on days I travel. For example, this morning, I started my fast according to Chicago time. Now that I am in LA, should I end my fast according to LA time? If I do so, I would have fasted approximately 2 hours longer than I would have if I weren't travelling.

Also, there will be times when I will be airborne when the time for sahoor or zahoor comes. How should I calculate the 'local' time for starting/ending a fast when I am airborne?

Thank you!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
08-25-2009, 04:35 AM
A good question.

I am not so sure about the answer.
In the past, whenever I traveled by plane, me (and other plane passengers) would break/end our fast according to the time where we started the fast.
I think this is also the correct one, because otherwise you could be fasting for 24 hours if you fly east-west (for example from dc to jakarta via la and singapore)

Ramadhan
08-25-2009, 04:40 AM
If you fly in majority muslim countries or in a islamic country airplane, the pilot would announce the sahoor time or the iftar time, so that would be no problem.

normally, the sahoor time should correspond to the sahoor time of the nearby land/location. maybe you can use gps and a free islamic calendar software to determine when the sahoor time is at the exact location of your plane

reelss
08-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Thank you. But unfortunately, I am not flying to/from a muslim country, or taking one of their airlines. Also, use of GPS devices is strictly prohibited on air planes.

So the question still stands. Yesterday due to my travels, I ended up fasting 2 hours longer than I needed to. I was advised to do so by some of my family members. I don't mind the extra time, I just want to know what the right way is, and if I am doing something wrong fasting those extra hours.

Any thoughts anyone?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
08-25-2009, 04:35 PM
:wa:

format_quote Originally Posted by reelss
Assalam-o-Alaikum,

... If I do so, I would have fasted approximately 2 hours longer than I would have if I weren't travelling.

!

you are allowed not to fast , if it's difficult to calculate / understand when to break fast , u may make up fasts later.

{... And whoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast) the same number of days. Allah desires for you ease; He desires not hardship for you ...} [Baqarah 2 :185]

"He wishes to grant you ease and He does not wish to impose hardship on you" (Al-Hajj: 78)

link :

canada -
ProfessionQuestion I have to travel from Canada to the U.S. for 5 days. Leaving on Monday, and coming back on Friday. The distance is few hundred miles. Do I have to fast on those five days. Please advise. Jazakum Allah Khayran.

AnswerIn The Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon his Messenger

"As far as fasting while traveling is concerned. It is all up to you; you have a choice of fasting if there is no hardship involved; if however, it involves hardships then it is better to skip fasting while traveling.

As far as the traditions of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) are concerned, we are told that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon) sometimes fasted during the travel and sometimes he broke his fast. He only advised against fasting while traveling if it was extremely hard on the individual. In such cases it is not considered a virtuous act."

Allah Almighty knows best.

http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa...GuestID=Tg3TuH

reelss
08-25-2009, 04:38 PM
But I want to fast and get the benefit of fasting in ramadan. Fasting longer is not a major inconvenience for me...I just want to make sure I do it right.

Muslim Woman
08-25-2009, 04:59 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by reelss
But I want to fast and get the benefit of fasting in ramadan. Fasting longer is not a major inconvenience for me...I just want to make sure I do it right.
Can u talk to your local Imam ?

Traveler's Salat
By Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Q 1.) When does the travel start? While leaving home or when the plane exits the runway?A 1.) The calculation of Safar (88 kms.) or more commences from home.

[ I read elsewhere that it's 48 miles ]

However, a Musaafir (traveller) will make Qasr (perform two Rakaats in Dhuhr, Asr and Esha Salats) upon leaving the housing area of the vicinity.

Q 2.) Is it necessary for a person in airplane to make Wudu or Tayammum and then perform Qasr Salat?A 2.) It is necessary to have Wudhu before performing Salat in the airplane.

Q 3.) If we know the approximate Qibla direction then is it necessary to be in its direction on the seat of plane?A 3.) If it is possible for one to stand and perform Salat in the plane, it will not be permissible to sit and perform Salat in the plane.

Q 4.) How we will do Ruku and Sujood on the seat?A 4.) Ref 3

Q 5.) How we will know that in that specific region from which the plane is passing, the time of Salat has started or it's ending?A 5.) One can inquire from the flight attendants the times for different regions.

Q 6.) How the Jamaat can be performed on the seats? Should the Imam be ahead of other Muqtadi?A 6.) Due to shortage of space, Salat in the plane should be performed individually.

Q 7.) When does the travel end? When the plane reaches the destination airport or when we reach the hotel or some other place?A 7.) Safar (travel) ends only upon returning home.
In principle, a Musaafir is exempt from performing the Sunnat-e-Muakkadah (emphasized Sunnats) before and after Fard Salats. However, if time permits, it will be meritorious for him to perform the Sunnah Salats as well.

http://www.albalagh.net/qa/traveler_salat.shtml

Ramadhan
08-26-2009, 07:13 AM
Here are some rulings from islamqa:

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/37670

When should the person who is travelling by plane break his fast?.

Praise be to Allaah.

If the sun sets and he breaks his fast on the ground, then when the plane takes off he sees the sun, he does not have to refrain from eating and drinking, because he has completed his fast in full, and there is no need to repeat the act of worship after he has finished it. If the plane takes off before sunset, and he wants to complete that day’s fast whilst travelling, then he should not break his fast until the sun sets in the place where he is in the air. It is not permissible for the pilot to take the plane down to a level where the sun cannot be seen so that the people can break their fast sooner, because this is a kind of trick. But if he descends for a valid technical reason and the disk of the sun disappears, then he should break his fast.

From the fatwas of Shaykh Ibn Baaz. See the booklet Sab’oon Mas’alah fi’l-Siyaam (Seventy Issues related to Fasting).

The Standing Committee said:

If the fasting person is on board an airplane and he finds out through the clock or the telephone that a nearby city has broken the fast, but he can see the sun because the plane is high up, then he is not allowed to break his fast because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“then complete your Sawm (fast) till the nightfall”

[al-Baqarah 2:187]

This does not apply in his case so long as he can still see the sun.

But if he broke his fast in that city after the day ended for him, then the plane took off and he saw the sun, then he should continue to break his fast because he comes under the ruling of the city from which he took off, where the day ended whilst he was still there.

In another fatwa, the Standing Committee said:

If a person is in an airplane during the day in Ramadaan, and he is fasting and wants to continue fasting until night-time, it is not permissible for him to break his fast until the sun has set.

Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 10/136-137

And Allaah knows best.
-------------------------------------------------

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/38007/...avel%20fasting

With regard to fasting, I started fasting in London and broke my fast in Riyadh. What is the ruling on the time difference?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Your fast is valid, because with regard to breaking the fast, what matters is the place where the fasting person is when the sun sets; the time difference does not matter, whether the day is long or short.

In Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (10/296) it says:

The scholars are unanimously agreed that the fast lasts from dawn until sunset, and each person who fasts is subject to the rulings on the place where he is, whether he is on the ground or in a plane that is in the air.

In another fatwa (10/295):

The basic principle is that with regard to starting to fast, breaking the fast and the time of prayer, each person is subject to the ruling of the land he is in or the air through which he is travelling. If the plane he is in takes off a few minutes before sunset and the day continues for him, it is not permissible for him to break his fast or to pray Maghrib until the sun sets from the point of view of the air through which he is travelling, even if he passes through the airspace of a city whose people have broken the fast and prayed Maghrib, so long as he can see the sun.

Based on this, whoever starts to fast then travels in a plane towards the west should break his fast when the sun sets in the place where he is. Similarly if he travels by plane towards the east and wants to fast, he should not break his fast until the sun sets in the place where he is. The time difference does not matter.

And Allaah knows best.
--------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/106475...avel%20fasting

A person was traveling from Karachi to Saudi at the time of ‘Asr in Ramadan. Some time after taking off, the host announced that it is iftaar time in Karachi. But the sun was still visible for all travelers on the plane. Is the fasting valid of the ones who broke it then?.

Praise be to Allaah.

The scholars are of the view that the fast lasts from dawn until sunset, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and eat and drink until the white thread (light) of dawn appears to you distinct from the black thread (darkness of night), then complete your Sawm (fast) till the nightfall”

[al-Baqarah 2:187].

And it is proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When night comes from here and departs from here, and the sun sets, then the fasting person breaks his fast.”

Every fasting person is subject to the ruling of the place where he is, whether he is on the ground or in a plane in the air.

Based on that, if a person breaks his fast whilst on board a plane according to the timetable of some city although he knows that the sun has not set, then his fast is invalid, because he has broken his fast before the sun has set for him, and he has to make up that day.
----------------------------------

reelss
08-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Great...thank you!

Muslim Woman
08-28-2009, 05:12 AM
:sl:

Samih - Canada

Title
Prayer Times on the Plane

Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada states:

“In this case the most practical thing to do is to follow the timings of your point of departure until such time that you have arrived at your final destination if you are not stopping over in-between. If, however, you are stopping over at a third point, then while you are there you should follow the local timings and continue to follow the same until you arrive at your final destination.

Let me illustrate this as follows: Suppose you are flying to India or any point in the Middle East such as Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and so on, via London or Paris, you should follow the timings of Toronto until you have landed in London or Paris. From that point onwards until you have arrived at your destination, follow the timings of London or Paris. What I normally do in this case is pray both Zhuhr and `Asr Prayer at home combined (assuming I am starting at the time of Zhuhr Prayer); then pray both Maghrib and `Isha’ Prayer during the flight as combined and shortened. Then finally I would pray Fajr Prayer during the flight before landing in London. While in London I would pray Zhuhr and `Asr as combined and shortened. I would do the same with Maghrib and `Isha’ Prayers, and so on, until I land.

If, on the other hand, there is no stop over since it is a non-stop flight of seventeen hours, then you should simply follow the timings of Toronto until you have landed at your final destination.

You need not confuse yourself or be overly concerned about some mix-up in timings due to differing time zones. It is a source of great relief for us to know that Islam is a simple and natural religion. We are only required to do what we can in a given situation according to the best means available. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Remain conscious of Allah, according to the best of your ability.”

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.muslims.ca

You can also read:

When Can a Traveler Combine Prayers?

Shortening Prayer while Traveling

Modes of Performing Prayers during Travelling

Shortening and Combining Prayers while Traveling

Allah Almighty knows best.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...EAskTheScholar

reelss
08-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Thank you. This makes things a little interesting when I am going back from LA to Chicago.

All times in Central Time Zone:

Time for Maghrib in LA: 9:30 PM
Time for Maghrib in Chicago: 7:30 PM
My Landing time in Chicago: 8:30 PM

So if I wait until landing in Chicago, I am late by an hour. I am travelling today so I will end my fast around 7:30 or until I can not see the sun anymore.

I appreciate all the help!

angelic
08-28-2009, 06:18 PM
This thread has helped me a lot. Thanks.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.