/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Revert but keeping it a secret

Rabi Mansur
08-25-2009, 03:56 AM
:sl:

Is there anything wrong with reverting to Islam but not telling family? Or friends?

I know this sounds kind of weird but I really can't think of a single person who would understand if I reverted. I would be disowned by family, shunned by friends, etc. So if I did revert, would there be anything wrong with keeping it a secret for a few years until things change and I move to a different area? The closest mosque is probably a 6 or 7 hour drive from me so there would nowhere to go for Friday prayers right now anyway. I'm in the northwest of the USA in the middle of nowhere. Just wondering if this is ok or not.

شكرا

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Strzelecki
08-25-2009, 10:15 AM
I did this.
In short, there's nothing wrong with it. The most important thing is that you become Muslim, if you wholeheartedly believe it. Everything is secondary to your imaan, Rabimansur. :)

May Allah (swt) make it easy for you. Ameen.

zakirs
08-25-2009, 10:32 AM

brother take you own time and make your imaan , knowledge stronger.Let others know when the right time comes , i.e when you feel you are ready

Thinker
08-25-2009, 10:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by rabimansur

Is there anything wrong with reverting to Islam but not telling family? Or friends?

I know this sounds kind of weird but I really can't think of a single person who would understand if I reverted. I would be disowned by family, shunned by friends, etc. So if I did revert, would there be anything wrong with keeping it a secret for a few years until things change and I move to a different area? The closest mosque is probably a 6 or 7 hour drive from me so there would nowhere to go for Friday prayers right now anyway. I'm in the northwest of the USA in the middle of nowhere. Just wondering if this is ok or not.

شكرا
When you say ‘revert’ do you mean that you were once Muslim and rejected and have now reverted back to it? If so – why would your family and friends (who are/were Muslims) be upset with you reverting?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
08-25-2009, 10:59 AM
^Generally, revert means that we are all born muslim but may be raised as christians/jews/bhuddist etc and therefore by embracing Islam (again) you are reverting to the natural state you were born in.

Hi Rabimansur,

When the time comes, you can keep your reversion a secret, but you may find it is easier to be honest aout it in the long run. For reverts, who haven't disclosed their faith to their families, there is the added stress of explaining away th change in behavior and food preferences, i.e. why you don't want to eat pork or drink alcohol etc. But I think this concenr is best dealt with when the time comes.

For now, it is better to concentrate on increasing your knowledge of Islam and clearing any misconceptions you have, so that when you revert, God willing) you will be firm in your beliefs and less prone to leaving Islam because you have come across something you cannot accept.

Please ask anything you don't fully understand. :)

Rabi Mansur
08-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Shukran for your answers. This helps me to feel better about the process. Actually I don't drink alcohol at all, don't smoke, rarely eat pork so those things would be easy to explain. No stress there.
But the prayers would have to be done in secret because I would be persecuted big time for that.
I'm still taking it all slow and learning.

Peace.

Rabimansur

format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
^Generally, revert means that we are all born muslim but may be raised as christians/jews/bhuddist etc and therefore by embracing Islam (again) you are reverting to the natural state you were born in.

Hi Rabimansur,

When the time comes, you can keep your reversion a secret, but you may find it is easier to be honest aout it in the long run. For reverts, who haven't disclosed their faith to their families, there is the added stress of explaining away th change in behavior and food preferences, i.e. why you don't want to eat pork or drink alcohol etc. But I think this concenr is best dealt with when the time comes.

For now, it is better to concentrate on increasing your knowledge of Islam and clearing any misconceptions you have, so that when you revert, God willing) you will be firm in your beliefs and less prone to leaving Islam because you have come across something you cannot accept.

Please ask anything you don't fully understand. :)

zakirs
08-25-2009, 12:52 PM
But the prayers would have to be done in secret because I would be persecuted big time for that.
Dont worry bro , pray to Allah and lets hope that he will protect you from harm :).

Thinker
08-25-2009, 01:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rabimansur
Shukran for your answers.

Generally, revert means that we are all born muslim but may be raised as christians/jews/bhuddist etc and therefore by embracing Islam (again) you are reverting to the natural state you were born in.
How irritating. Language is all about communication and good language is about clear communication and avoidance of ambiguity. What is the point of using misleading terms just to make some useless and petty point? So, what then is a convert? And, what do you call someone who was (for example) born a Muslim, rejected Islam by failing to comply with the 5 pillars then at a point in the future ‘reverts’ back to Islam?

aamirsaab
08-25-2009, 01:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
How irritating. Language is all about communication and good language is about clear communication and avoidance of ambiguity. What is the point of using misleading terms just to make some useless and petty point? So, what then is a convert? And, what do you call someone who was (for example) born a Muslim, rejected Islam by failing to comply with the 5 pillars then at a point in the future ‘reverts’ back to Islam?

A revert.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.