/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan Koranic Read-thru Thread :)

IAmZamzam
08-25-2009, 09:53 PM
It is customary to read through the Koran at least once during Ramadan. I will, God willing, be reading through A.J. Arberry's lovely translation twice-- which comes out to 47 pages per day--while working excessively on my book every day. Given that one of the countless remarkable things about the Koran is the way that, for such a short and repetitive book, it is one you find something new in every time you read it, I thought we should have a thread for people to post quotes that inspire or otherwise strike them or seem memorable as they re-discover the book for the whatever-number-of-times-it-is time. As you go along, when you find a passage that strikes you as particularly worthy of note (for whatever reason), post it here.

Here are mine so far (we've been doing this at the Understanding Islam board too):

Say: “If the Last Abode with God is yours exclusively, and not for other people, then long for death--if you speak truly.” But they will never long for it, because of that their hands have forwarded; God knows the evildoers; and thou shalt find them the eagerest of men for life. And of the idolaters; there is one of them wishes if he might be spared a thousand years, yet his being spared alive shall not remove him from the chastisement. (surah 2, verses 94-96, Arberry)

The likeness of those who expend their wealth, seeking God’s good pleasure, and to confirm themselves, is as the likeness of a garden upon a hill; a torrent smites it and it yields its produce twofold; if no torrent smites it, [there will still] yet [be] dew. (surah 2, verse 265, Arberry)

His similitude is that of a dog: if you attack him, he lolls out his tongue, or if you leave him alone, he (still) lolls out his tongue. That is the similitude of those who reject Our signs. (surah 7, verse 176, Yusuf Ali)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.