/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How To Control Nerves?

AnonymousPoster
08-26-2009, 01:54 AM
Salaam. When i am nervous i feel scared and honestly just want to die because i really do not have the strength to face anyone.(Say for example i have to go see someone) I'm at a loss to explain why i feel like this.

Anyone know how to cope with this kind of 'symptom'? Is it normal?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
08-26-2009, 02:20 AM
hmmm could it be SAD social anxiety disorder??? I had it/ still have it sometimes.

it comes when your not "out going" and don't mix with people and just sit in your house all the time. Are you very out going or a homely person???

mathematician
08-26-2009, 02:53 AM
maybe it's your age. How old are you? As you get older you will insha'Allah get stronger.

AnonymousPoster
08-26-2009, 04:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
hmmm could it be SAD social anxiety disorder??? I had it/ still have it sometimes.

it comes when your not "out going" and don't mix with people and just sit in your house all the time. Are you very out going or a homely person???
Salaam, I would consider myself as someone who doesn't like to socialize and not outgoing

Obvious answer would be to get out more and socialize i guess? How did you pull through?

JazakAllah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
08-26-2009, 07:12 AM
This is what I personally do.. I either carry a brown paper bag to breathe into, when I am really overcome with anxiety or do a serial of three or seven backwards from 100 in any situation that I consider to be highly stressful.. the count is your time and it actually helps you shift focus and concentrate on something else, once your count time is up you have to face the situation head on come what may...

:w:

Eric H
08-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Greetings and peace be with you AnonymousGender;

Salaam. When i am nervous i feel scared and honestly just want to die because i really do not have the strength to face anyone.(Say for example i have to go see someone) I'm at a loss to explain why i feel like this.
If there are arrangements to see someone, do you go ahead and meet them most times, or do you find reasons to back out most times?

In the spirit of striving for an inner strength.

Eric

AnonymousPoster
08-26-2009, 12:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you AnonymousGender;

If there are arrangements to see someone, do you go ahead and meet them most times, or do you find reasons to back out most times?

In the spirit of striving for an inner strength.

Eric
Hi, I back out now and again but if i have to be there i do go ahead

Snowflake
08-26-2009, 01:24 PM
I feel the same, but do have brief periods of confidence which wane again..

I suggest increasing salah and voluntary ibadah.. that's what makes me more confident :)

Btw, doesn't S.A.D stand for 'seasonal affective disorder'@Squiggle?

Woodrow
08-26-2009, 02:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
Salaam, I would consider myself as someone who doesn't like to socialize and not outgoing

Obvious answer would be to get out more and socialize i guess? How did you pull through?

JazakAllah
:wa:

True and the obvious cure for insomnia is to get some sleep.

The problem is it is difficult to get to the answer when the problem is the inability to act upon the answer.

Some things that help first and foremost are Du'as.

After that try to learn some relaxation techniques, Sister Gossamer Skye mentioned some.

Next place your self where you can meet your anxiety under your terms. Volunteer for teaching young children, become active in a youth group etc.

Eric H
08-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Greetings and peace be with you AnonymousGender; there have been some good replies from some very nice people.
Hi, I back out now and again
You think of all the things that can go wrong, so in order not to make any mistakes and making a fool of yourself, you don’t go out. In a way you almost have to make arrangements to meet up, and just go, even if it seems scary. In a way the meetings that seem a bit scary and you would normally cancel are the ones to go to, this is where you will find an inner strength.

Part of any conversation is listening to the other person and showing an interest in them, the more you listen to them and pay attention to what they are saying, and then they will enjoy your company more.

Many conversations are just chit- chat with no great meaning, do not worry too much about what to say as this can make you nervous.

Some people even say, I am nervous about meeting people for the first time. And the person they are talking to will say, oh you can say anything to me, don’t worry. Most people are very kind and helpful, you only have to read some of the stuff here to understand that.

I am sure if you bumped into anyone on this forum in the streets, you could hold a conversation with them.

As others have said, fasting and prayer helps.

In the spirit of praying for an inner strength

Eric

Salahudeen
09-19-2009, 04:43 AM
sorry for the late reply brother, but I dealt with it by telling myself it's illogical for me to feel nervous and anxious because the situation doesn't warrent it. All I'm doing is engaging in harmless social interaction with another person.

It's not as if I'm going to fight on the front line or jump out of an aeroplane so it's illogical for me to feel the way I do.

Then I started thinking it's only talking not as if I'm gonna jump out an aeroplane. and it went away.

Just put things in perspective, tell your self this is stupid all I'm doing is socializing no harm is going to come to me nothing bad is going to happen so why do I feel nervous.

Then you inshallah realise that there's nothing to be nervous about cos nothing's going to happen.

cat eyes
09-19-2009, 11:55 PM
dearest bro/sis
first ask Allah swt to help you then
the only way you can overcome it is if you put yourself in that situation daily of a group of people thats the first baby step you have to take then after a while you will say i can't believe i was afraid of this thing. you will be enjoying to much joking and chatting to much that you will forget or even have time to be nervous because you will feel so comfortable then after a while you don't care to make a fool out of yourself infront of your friends ;D just keep on putting yourself in these places where there is a lot of people weather you know them or not make small conversation with them and you will see the results.

Ayesha_Hanif
09-20-2009, 12:01 AM
do you feel you are lacking in confidence?

There is nothing to be nervous about, its best to tackle these issues head on

Pray to Allah to help you overcome this.

Santoku
09-21-2009, 04:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender

Anyone know how to cope with this kind of 'symptom'? Is it normal?
Have you tried yogic breathing.

Breathe in slowly and deeply, try to take 15 - 20 seconds to inhale - hold it for 30 swconds and then exhale slowly over 20 seconds, paus ffor ten seconds and repeat twenty times. It is very tiring and, if you inhale properly, almost painful, but it is very calming,

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.