/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Modesty in Islam- need your ideas

Ummu Sufyaan
08-26-2009, 06:26 AM
:sl:
Inshallah I am going to add a section to my blog named "modesty in Islam" were i intend on posting anything about modesty in Islam in regards to both sisters and brothers.
I so far have thought of some points which could be included but need some input in case i have forgotten anything.

ones i have so far thought up are:

• lowering the gaze
  • the hijaab, what it is, its conditions etc
  • gheerah?
  • the man and woman's awrah is
  • softening the voice/flirting
  • male/female interaction/interaction on then net

plz add what other points you think could be added that go under the heading "modestly in Islam for brothers and sisters"

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
08-27-2009, 12:51 PM
:sl:
*bump...

Karl
08-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Hi, you forgot women must never walk in front of husband but follow a few paces behind. The woman should never but in while men are speaking. I don't know if this is modesty, manners or tradition. If a woman is respectful of her man she will always get the best out of life.

Rasema
08-28-2009, 11:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karl
Hi, you forgot women must never walk in front of husband but follow a few paces behind. The woman should never but in while men are speaking. I don't know if this is modesty, manners or tradition. If a woman is respectful of her man she will always get the best out of life.
Assalamu Alikum

In front of her husband? are you sure?

Awesome thread sister.

Stay at home is all I can think of,stay away from men areas..
Sisi,can you define those terms?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
zakirs
08-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Modesty in living. (i.e not being too indulgent and luxurious ) ? does that come under modesty?

Beardo
08-29-2009, 12:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zakirs
Modesty in living. (i.e not being too indulgent and luxurious ) ? does that come under modesty?
We buy things we don't need,
With the money we don't have,
To impress people we don't know.

zakirs
08-29-2009, 12:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
We buy things we don't need,
With the money we don't have,
To impress people we don't know.
exactly :)

Karl
08-30-2009, 02:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rasema
Assalamu Alikum

In front of her husband? are you sure?

Awesome thread sister.

Stay at home is all I can think of,stay away from men areas..
Sisi,can you define those terms?
Yes, as the husband is the leader of the household so he cannot walk behind his wife(s) as though he is being lead like a lowly house slave. This is only in public of course.
And very important for the wife(s) never to nag or critisize or put down husband as it says in the Holy Koran a womans words can cut like a knife.
Best to be very diplomatic about any domestic problems. Calmness is the key.

Salahudeen
08-30-2009, 03:03 AM
^ hmm so it's haraam for a women to walk infront of her husband in public?

Ramadhan
08-30-2009, 03:58 AM
we eat when we're hungry and stop eating before we're full (it's a hadist)
when we must eat, the proportion of our stomach content should be 1/3 food, 1/3 water and 1/3 air (it's also a hadist)

well, this is not exactly modesty, but moderation.

Rasema
08-30-2009, 06:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
^ hmm so it's haraam for a women to walk infront of her husband in public?
The brother said yes:D

Salahudeen
08-30-2009, 07:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rasema
The brother said yes:D

Interesting I never knew that, you learn something new every day :statisfie

where does it say in the Qur'an that this is haraam? or is there a hadith that I can quote to proove it's haraam?

If I tell people it's haraam for the wife to do that, they're gonna ask for daleel to proove it. "Just because you, or i say it's haraam doesn't mean it is" as Dr Zakir Naik says lol

Rebel
08-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Yes, as the husband is the leader of the household so he cannot walk behind his wife(s) as though he is being lead like a lowly house slave.
Are you taking the piss?

Is it okay for men to "butt in" while women are speaking?

Why is it okay for the wife to look as if she's "being lead like a lowly house slave" then?

Oh, sorry... that's exactly what she is, innit? Why can't she just walk beside her husband? Dunno about you, but the last thing I'd want is for my wife to look like a "lowly house slave"!

I mean, what's this got to do with him being the "leader of the household"? It looks like you've completely misunderstood the meaning of "qawamah".

And respect goes both ways.

And very important for the wife(s) never to nag or critisize or put down husband as it says in the Holy Koran a womans words can cut like a knife.
Ayah?

Man, I've read some seriously strange posts in the last few days I became active here. Whatever happened to common sense?

I'm starting to wonder if we're actually following the same religion :hmm:

zakirs
08-30-2009, 09:38 PM
I find this a bit :| as rebel said.Not because its false or so but you could have pointed out the requirements of modesty of men.It is always sad to point out at women's rules for everything :P.It sometimes gives a wrong message.

Any way peace guys :)

Hope Ramadan is going well to all :).

13th Yarba
08-31-2009, 07:21 PM
In Britain following the suffragette movement it would be considered immodest of a woman to walk behind or infront of her husband as this would suggest she is inferior/superior - although a gentleman should always walk on the road side of the woman because that way he provides a shield from puddle splashes and things. regarding the quote about a womans stomach being 1/3 air etc it is always worth remembering that you should eat and drink seperatley as fluid in the intestine will inhibit the uptake of nutrients.

Salahudeen
08-31-2009, 08:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
A random person on the internet can say anything he wants, doesn't make it correct. I'd advise you to be more stringent in judging what you accept as fact. Did you see what he said in his first post? "I don't know if this is modesty, manners or tradition". Yet even then you're so easily convinced that it's haraam?

I would advise all members to verify whatever they read on forums with real live trustworthy scholars in their locality!

I never actually accepted it as haraam akhi, the point was to see if he did, and then ask him to produce his evidence from the book of Allah or the sunnah of his messenger. ;D am not that silly brother please give me more credit lol :p

what you or I, or so and so says doesn't hold any weight, what Allah and the rasool say holds all the weight ;D

Anyone can say this and that is haraam but unless they produce their proof it's worth nothing :) that's why I asked a few posts later for proof in a polite manner. :embarrass

Karl
09-03-2009, 01:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
A random person on the internet can say anything he wants, doesn't make it correct. I'd advise you to be more stringent in judging what you accept as fact. Did you see what he said in his first post? "I don't know if this is modesty, manners or tradition". Yet even then you're so easily convinced that it's haraam?

I would advise all members to verify whatever they read on forums with real live trustworthy scholars in their locality!
Excellant post ...I never said anything about haraam, but people do get carried away...they don't see the forest for the trees, getting caught up in religious technicalities. The answer is so simple the wife(s) just ask their husband what would please him for them to walk infront, beside or behind that is respect and modesty.
If I said you don't stroke a cat from tail to head. I'd get people scoping the Sunnahs and the Hadith and debating about it being haraam or not.:p

Happy Ramadan

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.