/* */

PDA

View Full Version : When do you know to stop asking for forgiveness & for a particular need?

AnonymousPoster
08-27-2009, 02:10 PM
I have read before that you should have faith in Allah's forgiveness and believe he was forgived you, but obviously you also need to ask for forgiveness enough and repent enough..so when do you know you can stop asking for forgiveness for that sin? Obviously i know you should always be asking Allah for forgiveness as we are always sinning, but i mean for this specific sin because right now it's taking over my life.

I am repenting for a very major sin that really upsets me. At the moment 80/90% and sometimes 100% of my dua is dedicated to asking forgiveness for this sin after every single salaat and every dua opportunity. I obviously cannot carry on like this forever as it takes it's toll on me and i am not making enough time and dua for other things in life.

Also i am asking for something to NOT happen, but i feel i can never stop asking for this as it could happen anytime in my life. This is also a major worry of mine and it's combined with the asking for forgiveness for my sin and is taking over my life.

I am in constant worry and fear..:cry:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cat eyes
08-27-2009, 06:34 PM
it would help to know bro/sis what the actual sin you did because would you believe some people think a minor sin to be a major sin and a major sin to be minor sin..if your sure its major then i would advise you to continue to ask forgiveness and it should not matter weather it takes up your duaa or not, weather your duaa takes longer then normal it would be for your own good..

just also remember that Allah forgives all sins weather minor or major as long as you repent thats all Allah asks for after all the bad things you did, you came back to him in the end and its enough for Allah to know this.

why are you praying for this thing not to happen? now you have to be careful what you are saying in your duaas also. Allah don't grant bad things. kufir people ask shaytaan for these things and you are not one of those people...

Don't do something dumb that will put you in helfire. pray for good things only do you understand

AnonymousPoster
08-28-2009, 12:17 AM
I know my sin is major and i have been asking forgiveness and salvation from my own sins for a long time. But i have read you should not think Allah has not forgiven you and keep stressing and worrying, which is what i am doing right now. So that is why i am asking, and i'm afraid your answer doesn't answer this for me. If i keep up this obsession with this sin, i will go mad in my life and never be able to lead a healthy life and concentrate on better things.

I am not asking for a bad thing by asking Allah for something not to happen. I am asking for safety and protection from something by asking for it not to happen, there is no good at all in that event happening, it would be a bad thing to happen for anyone and everyone.

cat eyes
08-28-2009, 02:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
I know my sin is major and i have been asking forgiveness and salvation from my own sins for a long time. But i have read you should not think Allah has not forgiven you and keep stressing and worrying, which is what i am doing right now. So that is why i am asking, and i'm afraid your answer doesn't answer this for me. If i keep up this obsession with this sin, i will go mad in my life and never be able to lead a healthy life and concentrate on better things.

I am not asking for a bad thing by asking Allah for something not to happen. I am asking for safety and protection from something by asking for it not to happen, there is no good at all in that event happening, it would be a bad thing to happen for anyone and everyone.
well it would help if i knew what you are talking about:statisfie you are anonymous after all

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sari
08-28-2009, 02:39 AM
I don't feel there is a need for OP to say what the sin is, afterall you don't have the knowledge to say "such and such a sin would be forgiven by now".

Woodrow
08-28-2009, 02:45 AM
I have read before that you should have faith in Allah's forgiveness and believe he was forgived you, but obviously you also need to ask for forgiveness enough and repent enough..so when do you know you can stop asking for forgiveness for that sin? Obviously i know you should always be asking Allah for forgiveness as we are always sinning, but i mean for this specific sin because right now it's taking over my life.

I am repenting for a very major sin that really upsets me. At the moment 80/90% and sometimes 100% of my dua is dedicated to asking forgiveness for this sin after every single salaat and every dua opportunity. I obviously cannot carry on like this forever as it takes it's toll on me and i am not making enough time and dua for other things in life.

Also i am asking for something to NOT happen, but i feel i can never stop asking for this as it could happen anytime in my life. This is also a major worry of mine and it's combined with the asking for forgiveness for my sin and is taking over my life.

This is a part of the pain sin causes each of us when we sin. It is a horrible pain and we want it to stop.

Now is the time to stop asking for forgiveness. It is time to change your du'as to asking for strength and the ability to defeat this sin.

You need the strength to conquer this sin so you can stand up with conviction and know you will never repeat it.

Now is the time to make Du'as thanking Allaah(swt) for putting you through this while you are still alive. You have found remorse and it is through remorse our pleas for forgiveness are sincere. Thank Allaah(swt) you suffered now and not after you enter the grave.

syilla
08-28-2009, 04:20 AM
Hadrat Aghir bin Yasār al-Muzanī (may Allāh be pleased with him) relates that the Holy Prophet Muhammad (may Allāh's blessings and peace be upon him) has advised his followers: ?Turn to Allāh, O people, offer repentance and seek His forgiveness. I myself offer repentance to Allāh a hundred times a day." (Muslim)
Ask forgiveness every single day... but at the same time you have to have TawakallAllah too.. InshaAllah.

Snowflake
08-28-2009, 05:12 AM

Please don't.. :)

Too much fear and worry is dangerous because it can prevent us from having hope in Allah's subhana wa ta 'ala mercy and forgiveness and keep us in a state of despair. This is what the shaytaan wants for us. Allah, Exalted be He, has told us, He will forgive our sins even shirk (subject to conditions), which is the gravest of all, if we repent and seek forgiveness from Him. So we must believe Him when He says that. :)

Allah loves those who put their trust in Him) (Aal `Imran 3:159).

So if you trust Him to forgive you, Allah will love you. And when Allah loves you, the despair will vanish. Allah, The Glorified and Praiseworthy, also mentions in hadith Qudsi, that, "I am, as My servant think of me." Meaning you will find Allah as you believe Him to be. :)

As for when to stop asking for forgiveness. I will say never. Our blessed Prophet, may Allah's peace and blessings be upon him, made astaghfaar 70x a day (someone correct me if I'm wrong). And he was the most magnificent human being to have ever walked on this planet. So in general, it is good to keep seeking forgiveness, as it is better for us, But, Allah likes ease for us and does not want us to make matters difficult for ourselves. So be moderate in everything, meaning that seek forgiveness sincerely and have full conviction in Allah's Mercy. Surely that is better in the eyes of Allah than to seek forgiveness in a manner that it becomes a punishment for you and still your heart remains void of hope.

Also, for your peace of mind, seek forgiveness in Tahajjud (and in sujoods.) It is a great blessing that Allah has given us this opportunity. There is no veil between you and your Lord. Cry unashamedly to Him. You know how a child cries when he wants something from his mother and kicks up a fuss? Know that Allah loves you 70x more than your own mother. Then if a mother's heart will melt at her child's cries, will Allah not respond to yours? I promise you He will. My Lord never lies. :cry:

And I promise you this also. If your repentance is sincere, you will feel peace descend in your heart and you can be sure Allah has heard your pleas. After that, don't forget it but remember His Kindness and worship Him in gratitude. Please don't let the shaytaan tell you Allah won't forgive you. Curse him and seek protection from him in Allah. InshaAllah, you will be alright. :)

May Allah bless you, forgive you, protect you and be pleased with you. Ameen.

cat eyes
08-28-2009, 08:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sari
I don't feel there is a need for OP to say what the sin is, afterall you don't have the knowledge to say "such and such a sin would be forgiven by now".
hahaa i didn't say i will forgive him his sins for him did i...

what i mean't was it would be helpful to know what the major sin is he has done so because mabe this major thing needs to be taken up with a scholar and not on forum. he can advise him better because you just don't ask anybody now. if he has done something serious, none of us qualified to guide him anyway sister!
if its major so its major. ask forgiveness thats all we can tell you if we don't know what it is brother then what do you want us to say

IslamicRevival
08-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Salaam. Bro/Sis.

Keep asking for forgiveness and ask Allah SWT to remove the darkness from your heart and fill it with light. Also may i remind you Laylatul Qadr is inshAllah approaching so we will all have the opportunity to wipe our sins away.

May Allah SWT forgive us all in this blessed month. Allah Hu Akbar :cry:

Rasema
08-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Assalamu Alikum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatuh

Sorry to hijac your thread sister,for a second. I get stuck when it gets to forgivness as well.

About asking for something not to happen,I don't know why but I find that wrong. Your heart should be in tranquility. Whatever happens,happens because the creator of the heavens and the earth wills it to happen.

When I know that I did wrong,well, not sure, but I freak out at my mother for a good reason in a wrong way. I want to ask Allah,spw, for forgivness but I can't because there are certain requirements that have to be met. I do regret but one of the requirements after repenting to Allah is to ask that person for forgivness and I can't do it. Can I just swich it into a good deed(with her) instead of asking her for forginess?

Thanks

Snowflake
08-28-2009, 11:24 PM
May Allah increase us all in imaan knowledge and piety and protect us from the shaytaan. Ameen.

I have been gaining alot of pleasure and peace by making sincere dua to Allah and crying like a child to his mother, as you also said. And about Tahajjud, i am so glad you mentioned that as just after Isha today i made intention to pray Tahajjud for the 1st time in my life (apart from when i was in Hajj) as i read there is no veil between Allah and his servant at that time when he prays alone in the darkness and cries to him.

I am in UK, what time can i pray Tahajjud? It will be easier right now due to waking up for Sehri in awhile anyway.
You're welcome.

MashaAllah, your reply was heart-warming and I smiled reading it. My own imaan gets a boost when I see Allah's servants turning to Him for their needs. May Allah love you for that. Praying Tahajjud will be the icing on the cake. :statisfie

Hope this helps inshaAllah..

Recommended Time for Tahajjud:

Tahajjud may be performed in the early part of the night, the middle part of the night, or the latter part of the night, but after the obligatory `Isha’ Prayer (night Prayer).

While describing the Prophet’s way of performing Prayer, Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) said:

“If we wanted to see him praying during the night, we could see him praying. If we wanted to see him sleeping during the night, we could see him sleeping. And sometimes he would fast for so many days that we thought he would not leave fasting throughout that month. And sometimes he would not fast (for so many days) that we thought he would not fast during that month.”

(Al-Bukhari, Ahmad and An-Nasa’i.)

Commenting on this subject, Ibn Hajar says:

“There was no specific time in which the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) would perform his late night Prayer; but he used to do whatever was easiest for him.”

Best Time for Tahajjud:

It is best to delay this Prayer to the last third portion of the night. Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) quoted the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying:

“Our Lord descends to the lowest heaven during the last third of the night, inquiring: ‘Who will call on Me so that I may respond to him? Who is asking something of Me so I may give it to him? Who is asking for My forgiveness so I may forgive him?’”

(Al-Bukhari)

`Amr ibn `Absah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that he heard the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) saying:

“The closest that a slave comes to his Lord is during the middle of the latter portion of the night. If you can be among those who remember Allah the Exalted One at that time, then do so.”

(At-Tirmidhi)

Abu Umamah narrates that the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam said: "Allah does not listen to anything from His slave as He does to the two rak'at (of prayer) that he offers. Mercy descends over the servant's head as long as he remains in prayer" (Ahmad and at-Tirmizhi).

InshaAllah, by the leave of Allah, with all the effort you are exerting, your duaas will suffice in preventing what you don't want to happen. May Allah, The Glorified and Praiseworthy, preserve you and protect against all harm. Ameen. InshaAllah, relax your heart in Him and let go of that fear. :statisfie

AnonymousPoster
08-28-2009, 11:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
May Allah increase us all in imaan knowledge and piety and protect us from the shaytaan. Ameen.

You're welcome.

MashaAllah, your reply was heart-warming and I smiled reading it. My own imaan gets a boost when I see Allah's servants turning to Him for their needs. May Allah love you for that. Praying Tahajjud will be the icing on the cake. :statisfie

Hope this helps inshaAllah..

Recommended Time for Tahajjud:

Tahajjud may be performed in the early part of the night, the middle part of the night, or the latter part of the night, but after the obligatory `Isha’ Prayer (night Prayer).

While describing the Prophet’s way of performing Prayer, Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) said:

“If we wanted to see him praying during the night, we could see him praying. If we wanted to see him sleeping during the night, we could see him sleeping. And sometimes he would fast for so many days that we thought he would not leave fasting throughout that month. And sometimes he would not fast (for so many days) that we thought he would not fast during that month.”

(Al-Bukhari, Ahmad and An-Nasa’i.)

Commenting on this subject, Ibn Hajar says:

“There was no specific time in which the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) would perform his late night Prayer; but he used to do whatever was easiest for him.”

Best Time for Tahajjud:

It is best to delay this Prayer to the last third portion of the night. Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) quoted the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying:

“Our Lord descends to the lowest heaven during the last third of the night, inquiring: ‘Who will call on Me so that I may respond to him? Who is asking something of Me so I may give it to him? Who is asking for My forgiveness so I may forgive him?’”

(Al-Bukhari)

`Amr ibn `Absah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that he heard the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) saying:

“The closest that a slave comes to his Lord is during the middle of the latter portion of the night. If you can be among those who remember Allah the Exalted One at that time, then do so.”

(At-Tirmidhi)

Abu Umamah narrates that the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam said: "Allah does not listen to anything from His slave as He does to the two rak'at (of prayer) that he offers. Mercy descends over the servant's head as long as he remains in prayer" (Ahmad and at-Tirmizhi).

InshaAllah, by the leave of Allah, with all the effort you are exerting, your duaas will suffice in preventing what you don't want to happen. May Allah, The Glorified and Praiseworthy, preserve you and protect against all harm. Ameen. InshaAllah, relax your heart in Him and let go of that fear. :statisfie
Thankyou for your lengthy reply, i am glad i have helped you feel better aswell.
So i could pray Tahajjud anytime after Isha, until anytime before Sehri? Will i get less reward/sincerity out of my actions if i am awake until then, rather than waking up from sleep and making an effort to leave behind something i desire - i.e. sleep? I just find it easier to stay awake till Sehri anyway.

Snowflake
08-29-2009, 12:00 AM
You're welcome :)

Yes, you can pray Tahajjud anytime after Isha up to Fajr. But according to scholars and the Prophet (saw) the best time is the last portion of the night. Also, if you are not in the habit of waking for tahajjud and find yourself staying awake for its time, my heart says, The Most Beneficent and Merciful will still accept your salah and duaa as if you had risen from your sleep to perform it. InshaAllah, Allah will look at your sincerity, hope, fear and dedication with which you will be standing before Him, in His Presence. :)

AnonymousPoster
08-29-2009, 12:14 AM
Oh i really hope so, i would find it too hard right now to wake from deep sleep and be grumpy and most probably go back to sleep or not have my heart in it. I can work towards that in the future, inshaAllah once i've tried it the easier way my love and enthusiasm for it will increase and make it easier to wake up in the future.

So by the last portion of the night, is that just before Fajr?

Snowflake
08-29-2009, 12:32 AM
Oh i really hope so, i would find it too hard right now to wake from deep sleep and be grumpy and most probably go back to sleep or not have my heart in it. I can work towards that in the future, inshaAllah once i've tried it the easier way my love and enthusiasm for it will increase and make it easier to wake up in the future.

So by the last portion of the night, is that just before Fajr?
True, it takes time to getting used to performing such feats lol. It doesn't matter if you are reaching out to the Creator with shaky steps. The main thing is you are doing it. Bi idhnillah, I believe one day you will become one of the lovers of tahajjud prayers. Ameen :statisfie

Snowflake
08-29-2009, 01:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rasema
Assalamu Alikum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatuh
About asking for something not to happen,I don't know why but I find that wrong. Your heart should be in tranquility. Whatever happens,happens because the creator of the heavens and the earth wills it to happen.
No sister.. while it is correct that everything happens by the will of Allah and if Allah's wills something, nothing can stop it, it doesn't mean you are not accepting Allah's will by asking Him to prevent or protect us from something that may harm you. We don't even know what Allah's will, will be, so we are not unaccepting of it. Not accepting His will means grudging Him and blaming Him for something that happened which you dislike. There are specific duaas one can make in order to ask Allah to prevent something from happening if you fear it will harm you. This proves that no matter what it is, we must ask Allah for all our needs and we are attesting to this at least five times a day, everytime we pray salah/al-Fatiha.

Iyyaka na'budu wa iyyaka nasta'een - You Alone we worship and You Alone we ask for help. (v.4) :)

Snowflake
08-29-2009, 02:07 AM
Assalamu alaykum Anonymous

Are you here? Now would be a good time to prepare for tahajjud. :)

AnonymousPoster
08-29-2009, 11:24 PM
I prayed 4 rakaat Tahajjud before Sehri and then another 4 rakaat just before Fajr. I am very pleased i did, but i really hope inshaAllah Allah accepted my prayers and my duas.
I felt quite tired and wish i had had more energy to make longer and more stronger dua.

When i make intention for praying Tahajjud, do i say i am praying 4 rakaat sunnat, or 4 rakaat nafil?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.