/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can you make dua for non-Muslims?

Sari
08-27-2009, 02:36 PM
:-\

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- IqRa -
08-28-2009, 08:27 AM
That Allaah guides them...yes.

But I don't think we are allowed to pray for them after their death.

Allaahu Aalim.

Asim Khan
08-30-2009, 08:55 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A
But I don't think we are allowed to pray for them after their death.

Allaahu Aalim.
I don't have the reference either but I think that's only for those we know for certain died doing major shirk, like the case of Abu Talib. It would be a waste of our prayers the more it had become clear to the person about RasoolAllah's (saw) prophethood, but (on a little different matter) I heard Dr. Israr Ahmed say that we can't assess another Muslim's nifaq: for the worst level (hatred for people of eman, falsely swearing by Allah for excuses) our prayers certainly go to waste:

9:80. Ask forgiveness for them, (O Muhammad), or do not ask forgiveness for them. If you should ask forgiveness for them seventy times never will Allah forgive them. That is because they disbelieved in Allah and His Messenger, and Allah does not guide the defiantly disobedient people.

Ali_008
08-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Hadhrat Umar ibn-Khattaab (RadhiAllahu Anhu) entered Islam after Prophet Muhammad :saws: prayed for his guidance. Like T.I.A said, you can pray for their guidance. Can't pray for their forgiveness. Don't know if you can pray for any material benefit to them.
:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Asim Khan
08-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Hmm, it would be nice to see evidence for it being haram (rather than just a waste) to pray for non-mushrik non-Muslim deceased. Dr. Zakir was asked (in the currently running series with Yusuf Chambers, last Ramadan) if we can pray for a Muslim that comitted suicide. From his answer we see that anything dealing with eternal ****ation in Quran and hadith is conditional under 4:116:

Lo! Allah pardoneth not that partners should be ascribed unto Him. He pardoneth all save that to whom He will. Whoso ascribeth partners unto Allah hath wandered far astray.

Sari
08-31-2009, 12:26 AM
I actually meant if you can make dua to benefit their life/health/worries/tragedies in some way. But the topic you guys have bought up is interesting too.

I was wondering as ofcourse most of us will have non Muslim friends and neighbours in our lives and we do not like to see them suffer or go through bad times, and our response to a Muslim person would usually be to make dua for them, so can you do this for non Muslims?

Rasema
08-31-2009, 12:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sari
I actually meant if you can make dua to benefit their life/health/worries/tragedies in some way. But the topic you guys have bought up is interesting too.

I was wondering as ofcourse most of us will have non Muslim friends and neighbours in our lives and we do not like to see them suffer or go through bad times, and our response to a Muslim person would usually be to make dua for them, so can you do this for non Muslims?
No, you should not have love for them,for their kufr. You can just pray so they become Muslims!

Humbler_359
08-31-2009, 12:49 AM
Some or most non-Muslims is speaking against Allah, we make dua for them to realize the truth one-day about Islam and the purpose of this life. There is no other god but Allah only.

Sari
08-31-2009, 03:08 AM
Hmm but surely we DO have to have love for all mankind and help all mankind. Maybe actually making dua is not permissible, but to have no love? That would mean not helping the elderly, being friends with non muslims, not living in harmony with non muslims. The Prophet SAW even helped non believers, even if they were nasty to him personally?

Asim Khan
08-31-2009, 09:14 AM
Yeah, of course we need to distinguish between them and what they do. :) We should not wish them their pagan anniversaries, but our behaviour towards them itself should be inviting them to Islam.

format_quote Originally Posted by Sari
[...] and our response to a Muslim person would usually be to make dua for them [...]
At the back of our mind we always want overall good: we'd want to see our Muslim brother/sister get closer to Allah swt while coming out of the ordeal. We must be even more concerned for non-Muslims that Allah swt may save them from earning (not sure if this is the right translation) to be given rope, as Ali_008's signature refers to:

Allah (Subhaanahu Wa Taala) does not inspire seeking forgiveness in a slave whom he wishes to punish. Ali (RadhiAllahu Anhu)

Danah
08-31-2009, 08:05 PM
I think this page will help you sis
http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showthread.php?t=4899

Asim Khan
09-01-2009, 07:00 AM
"It says in Tuhfat al-Muhtaaj: It is haraam to pray for a kaafir and for one whose Islam is in doubt with regard to matters of the Hereafter, even if that is one of his parents. (3/141)."

Can we get some clarification on this, because Ibn Kathir's tafsir for 9:80 seems to oppose this:

http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=9&tid=21736

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.