/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can we celebrate US thanksgiving ?

markislam
08-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Can muslims celebrate US thanksgiving ?

or no

what US holidays can we celebrate ? :nervous:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
08-27-2009, 06:37 PM
No we cannot. The only celebrations allow in Islam are the two eid's. All other celebrations such as birthdays, thanks giving, new years, valentines etc are not part of Islam.

Rabi Mansur
08-27-2009, 06:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
No we cannot. The only celebrations allow in Islam are the two eid's. All other celebrations such as birthdays, thanks giving, new years, valentines etc are not part of Islam.
Why not? :confused:

UmmSqueakster
08-27-2009, 08:09 PM
My husband and I observe Thanksgiving not as a festival (which I believe is the literal meaning of the word eid), but rather as the one time during the year when my entire family comes together to share a meal and spend time with each other.

As a general rule, AbuS and I don't celebrate any american holiday that has a serious religious origin - no christmas, no (saint) valentines day, no easter, no saint patrick's day, no halloween. We do enjoy ourselves on non religious, national holidays like memorial day, fourth of july, labor day and thanksgiving.

An answer from Imam Suhaib Webb, an american convert studying at al Azhar

As a convert to Islam and based on my humble legal training, I agree with the second opinion. Many of us, those of us who have converted to Islam, can use these moments to share the beauty of our faith with our families and loved ones in an non-hostile environment. Perhaps, by giving gifts to our parents we can heal wounds, build relationships and move forward. At the same time, such celebrations are based on the foundations of our faith: honoring one’s parents. Therefore, we should engage such holidays with the intention of fostering noble relations and spreading the beauty of our faith with others.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
markislam
08-27-2009, 08:34 PM
ok thanks for the info :)

Omar_4
08-27-2009, 09:49 PM
You should be Thankful to Allah every day of the year :)

but my family has thank giving dinner every year...Just the dinner. We don't say grace of course. If you celebrate it with the intention of just having dinner, i see nothing wrong with that.

cat eyes
08-27-2009, 10:43 PM
just don't go to any religious massas or pray at the table thats what they do in america isen it? don't join people in this.

Humbler_359
08-27-2009, 11:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
just don't go to any religious massas or pray at the table thats what they do in america isen it? don't join people in this.
You are correct, I agreed. We can Thankful to Allah (SWT) only. I think, we should not do same day as US thanksgiving day.

It is not required but it is up to them.

Chuck
08-27-2009, 11:23 PM
I see no problem if turkey is halal ;)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.