/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My knowledge increased, but my fear also increased!!!

AnonymousPoster
08-28-2009, 02:02 AM
:sl:

I know some of you will find this weird but this is what I am passing through at the moment.
Well, on my first days when I was here in LI I was kinda active in debating other people from different religions and went into really strong and effective debates sometimes in other forums (non-muslims). I even was a frequent advice-giver to other people when I saw someone need an advice on the board.
Later on, I decided that I need to learn more about religions especially Islam so when I will debate with someone it will come out of an accurate effective knowledge! but I don't know what happened to me now!! I become more afraid of going into debates or even have a discussion about religions with other people as if I fear saying something wrong that I am not sure of!

I become very skeptic before posting here, thinking hundred times before post anything!!! whats really wrong with me now? is this something normal?

there is nothing wrong with my Eman, I feel a really strong push of Eman every time I know something new about Islam or even about any other religions, but still!!

My knowledge had increased a lot since I came here to LI Alhumdulilah, I read a lot about other religions and about Islam as well, I am in my way to be a hafidh but I just don't know why I have that kind of fear to post on comparative religions section or even post on the other forums I am in to debate. I want to show the whole humanity the beauty of my deen, I wanna defend my deen in any way I can, I wanna correct the misconceptions people have about Islam

above all of that, My aim is to be active in Dawah, so can anyone enlighten me here?

I will appreciate any advice since I am in a really dire need of it. So please don't ignore my problem or think of it as something trivial, this is very important to me!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syilla
08-28-2009, 03:18 AM
This mean you have taqwa... and you shouldn't be worry too much? :)

Imam al-Ghazali divides taqwa into three levels:

‘Taqwa in the Quran has three meanings. First is fear and a sense of awe. The second includes obedience and worship. Third is freeing the heart from sins, which is the reality and essence of taqwa. In summary, taqwa is to guard oneself against the anger of God and His punishment by fulfilling His commandments and abstaining from what He has prohibited. The reality of taqwa is that your Lord never sees you where He has forbidden you to be, nor does He miss you where He has commanded you to be’[3]
[3] Quoted in Imam al-Haddad, Mutual Reminding & Good Manners, p.6-7

Abu Darda (R) said: “From the completion of Taqwa is that the servant fears from His Lord even with regards to things, the weight of an atom." Abu Darda's advice for servants who wish to accomplish a character of 'taqwa' should fear to commit the smallest of sins.

The messenger of Allah said in a Hadith, reported in the Sahih Muslim that, “Taqwa is here”, and he pointed to his chest.

Taqwa is profoundly explained in a discussion between 'Umar and Ka'b who were companions of the prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him.

'Umar asked Ka'b the meaning of 'taqwa,' as Ka'b was renowned for his deep understanding of the Qur'an Al Kareem.

Kaab (R) then inquired from Umar (R), whether he had walked through a thorny bush path with his cloak. Umar (R) replied that he had done so on numerous occasions. Kaab (R) asked Umar (R) to describe his movements through this thorny path. Umar (R) replied that he moved very cautiously, so as not to tear his clothing. Kaab (R) said that was the description and the meaning of Taqwa.

The path that inculcates and embraces a character of Taqwa is one that must be carefully and cautiously treaded. On this path one must be completely aware of oneself and one’s surroundings, to be disciplined with the correct action and behavior which will achieve one’s closeness to Allah.

Snowflake
08-28-2009, 03:40 AM
Sometimes it is good to have setbacks as it reminds us that only Allah is Perfect and we aren't. Also if we continously excel at being good at something, it can lead us to feeling proud and arrogant. So if now and again Allah pulls us back, it's because He is helping us to avoid falling into the shaytaan's trap, and we can't deny we are all vulnerable.. Therefore, please don't see your fear as something negative, but a sign of Allah's blessings on you. It is just a phase and I can say, I go through similar emotions in many many things I get involved with. It will go, inshaAllah.

May Allah bless you and make your work as a da'ee the means for bringing millions of people into Islam. Ameen.

alcurad
08-28-2009, 03:44 AM
the more you learn, the more you will avoid conflict. everyone owns a part of truth, But this should never prevent you from having an opinion yourself.

keep in mind that generally whatever the scholars say is simply what they reached and concluded, and is not binding/compulsory to follow.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ibn Abi Ahmed
08-28-2009, 04:05 AM

I want to show the whole humanity the beauty of my deen, I wanna defend my deen in any way I can, I wanna correct the misconceptions people have about Islam
{So rely upon Allah ; indeed, you are upon the clear truth.}[an-Naml; 79]

AnonymousPoster
08-28-2009, 11:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
This mean you have taqwa... and you shouldn't be worry too much? :)

Imam al-Ghazali divides taqwa into three levels:

[3] Quoted in Imam al-Haddad, Mutual Reminding & Good Manners, p.6-7

format_quote Originally Posted by Maalik
{So rely upon Allah ; indeed, you are upon the clear truth.}[an-Naml; 79]
jazakum Allah khair sis syilla and brother Maalik, but how long I will be in this situation? I am really worried that this will be for long time, I dont wanna keep on that feeling, its something that I start ti get worried about.

format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
Sometimes it is good to have setbacks as it reminds us that only Allah is Perfect and we aren't. Also if we continously excel at being good at something, it can lead us to feeling proud and arrogant. So if now and again Allah pulls us back, it's because He is helping us to avoid falling into the shaytaan's trap, and we can't deny we are all vulnerable..
Very True

Therefore, please don't see your fear as something negative, but a sign of Allah's blessings on you. It is just a phase and I can say, I go through similar emotions in many many things I get involved with. It will go, inshaAllah.
Have you got a similar fear and then got rid of it?

May Allah bless you and make your work as a da'ee the means for bringing millions of people into Islam. Ameen.
Ameen. Jazaki Allah khair sis

format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
the more you learn, the more you will avoid conflict. everyone owns a part of truth, But this should never prevent you from having an opinion yourself.

keep in mind that generally whatever the scholars say is simply what they reached and concluded, and is not binding/compulsory to follow.
having an opinion in religious issues is different than having an opinion in something else. I cant say my opinion in this Islamic issue is such and such....there are many things in Islam dont accept giving opinions, they are absolute, I think you got what I want to say brother.

Thats why I dont look at it as giving my opinion thing but more like defending the truth itself!

Snowflake
08-29-2009, 12:21 AM
=AnonymousGender;1211850]
Have you got a similar fear and then got rid of it?
Yes, I think it's similar in nature. There are times, I really withdraw into my shell and find I cannot interact on the forum and feel reluctant to give advice as it feels its not effective or sensible. I experience similar times of withdrawal from seeing people in my real life. So, I avoid doing what I find hard and simply take time out. It doesn't take too long before I feel confident enough to face the world again. Perhaps a week or two? Then I'm ok again. Do you think taking a break might help? :)

Ameen. Jazaki Allah khair sis
Wa iyaak. May Allah grant you ease by His Mercy and blessings. Ameen.

cat eyes
08-29-2009, 12:22 AM
i think getting this type of a fear might be a sign to stop what you are doing.. when i get a sudden fear not to do something, i don't do it.. i respond to it because i believe its Allah telling us be careful and hes watching but an ignorant person might not know where this fear came from so he will proceed to do it. so i am happy you are not of the ignorant and you want to gain knowledge first. we always have to be careful when talking about islam and not having the proper knowledge. this goes for all of us. some people get to proud and arrogant.. its true scents of jannah.

Snowflake
08-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Allah knows best sis. We are all prone to feeling proud. The Prophet (saw) said, no man is without sin, but the best of men are those who repent. We must continously, seek protection in Allah against pride and arrogance, and be quick to repent when we feel its stirrings. A Shaykh once said, "The dirty robe is more in need of soap than perfume." Meaning that the sinner is more in need of repentance than praising Allah.

AnonymousPoster
08-29-2009, 01:28 AM
Do you think taking a break might help? :)

Wa iyaak. May Allah grant you ease by His Mercy and blessings. Ameen.
It has been like that since the last Ramadan.....I still keep telling myself that I am too early to be involved in such discussion, I know its hard to know everything in a certain topic because the more I read the more I got. So I always said to myself:"No you still need to know more about that thing"!

I have been like that since I started offecially to educate myself in all means before around 7 months

format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
i think getting this type of a fear might be a sign to stop what you are doing.. when i get a sudden fear not to do something, i don't do it.. i respond to it because i believe its Allah telling us be careful and hes watching but an ignorant person might not know where this fear came from so he will proceed to do it. so i am happy you are not of the ignorant and you want to gain knowledge first. we always have to be careful when talking about islam and not having the proper knowledge. this goes for all of us. some people get to proud and arrogant.. its true scents of jannah.
Allahu A'alam sis, I really dont know myself. but I always keep this hadeeth in my mind:
"If Allâh wants to do good for a person, He makes him comprehend the deen"

so do you think that this is something I really have to stop learning about my deen and how to defend it?

cat eyes
08-29-2009, 01:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
It has been like that since the last Ramadan.....I still keep telling myself that I am too early to be involved in such discussion, I know its hard to know everything in a certain topic because the more I read the more I got. So I always said to myself:"No you still need to know more about that thing"!

I have been like that since I started offecially to educate myself in all means before around 7 months

Allahu A'alam sis, I really dont know myself. but I always keep this hadeeth in my mind:

so do you think that this is something I really have to stop learning about my deen and how to defend it?
i am totally the same as you. i want to defend my deen but when i get that rush of fear.. i hold back because mite be saying something not right so now i am seeking knowledge at the moment and inshallaah i can defend my deen when i know more:statisfie knowledge is like a river.. its never stops flowing, you can never know enough also. may Allah grant you loads of knowledge. ameen:)

Snowflake
08-29-2009, 02:05 AM
AnonymousGender;1211883]It has been like that since the last Ramadan.....I still keep telling myself that I am too early to be involved in such discussion, I know its hard to know everything in a certain topic because the more I read the more I got. So I always said to myself:"No you still need to know more about that thing"!

Seven months is nothing brother. I have 'projects' I started 2-3 years ago in which I faced one set back after another, but which alhumdulillah now are taking their baby steps. From what I see, you have good intentions and the capabilities to do what you want, but something is hindering you from making progress. Two things come to mind.

1) This is not the right time for you to be engaging yourself in these matters (giving dawah). Sometimes, for reasons Allah knows best, things don't go the way we want, because there might be more harm in it for us than good. (Just like my 'projects' are just beginning to take off now.) :)

2) You may have been afflicted with the evil eye. Your abilities may have caused envy in someone's heart? Of course there is no way to prove it, but it seems a likely cause for your situation.

Which explanation is your heart inclined towards believing the most?

If I may answer the question.. There is no reason to stop learning the deen and doing so will not achieve anything. This is fardh upon us all. InshaAllah, you will defend the deen bro and bi idhnillah, many will revert from what they hear from your mouth, but while you await progress, utilise this time to increase salah, repentance and duaa and seek advice from knowledgable people who will be able to understand your situation far better and thus advise you much more effeciently than we can. I will pray for you inshaAllah. :statisfie

Woodrow
08-29-2009, 03:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender

I know some of you will find this weird but this is what I am passing through at the moment.
Well, on my first days when I was here in LI I was kinda active in debating other people from different religions and went into really strong and effective debates sometimes in other forums (non-muslims). I even was a frequent advice-giver to other people when I saw someone need an advice on the board.
Later on, I decided that I need to learn more about religions especially Islam so when I will debate with someone it will come out of an accurate effective knowledge! but I don't know what happened to me now!! I become more afraid of going into debates or even have a discussion about religions with other people as if I fear saying something wrong that I am not sure of!

I become very skeptic before posting here, thinking hundred times before post anything!!! whats really wrong with me now? is this something normal?

there is nothing wrong with my Eman, I feel a really strong push of Eman every time I know something new about Islam or even about any other religions, but still!!

My knowledge had increased a lot since I came here to LI Alhumdulilah, I read a lot about other religions and about Islam as well, I am in my way to be a hafidh but I just don't know why I have that kind of fear to post on comparative religions section or even post on the other forums I am in to debate. I want to show the whole humanity the beauty of my deen, I wanna defend my deen in any way I can, I wanna correct the misconceptions people have about Islam

above all of that, My aim is to be active in Dawah, so can anyone enlighten me here?

I will appreciate any advice since I am in a really dire need of it. So please don't ignore my problem or think of it as something trivial, this is very important to me!!

To begin with Sister Syilla gave you some good information about Taqwa.

Now to add to that remember that every time you speak the truth and stand up to spread that truth in debate. Doubts will rush to you and weaken your ability to speak what you mean. Perhaps it is the voice of Shaytan trying to weaken you or it may be simply a sudden loss of confidence or even a combination of both.

You made a good point with these words:

I become more afraid of going into debates or even have a discussion about religions with other people as if I fear saying something wrong that I am not sure of!
To me that is a sign you are growing in wisdom. Youthful enthusiasm is not affected with those thoughts as Youth has yet to understand that all they know is just a minute part of the truth. It seems complete when we are too ignorant to know there is more..

As a person ages and learns more they begin to realize that the more they learn the more they know they know very little. A wise genius will know he/she only knows a very tiny bit more then what a baby is born with. When we realize how little we each know, fear strikes in, we suddenly think we are ignorant. We all are very ignorant. It is just that as we learn we do not necessarily become smarter until we understand we are not smarter then anybody, only slightly less ignorant in some subjects.

There is no courage involved in speaking what we believe, when we are ignorant. It is required when we learn we understand that we can say things wrong or be mistaken. This is where courage comes in there is no courage involved when a fool rushes into a battle and does not understand danger. It takes courage to stand up for our beliefs, no matter how much fear we have, as we discover we do not fully understand all we believe.

It is good to have fear that we may be in error,but we need to make Du'a for the strength to overcome this fear as it is vital for us to speak what we have found to be true and become willing to speak even in the face of ridicule or persecution.

AnonymousPoster
08-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Seven months is nothing brother. I have 'projects' I started 2-3 years ago in which I faced one set back after another, but which alhumdulillah now are taking their baby steps. From what I see, you have good intentions and the capabilities to do what you want, but something is hindering you from making progress. Two things come to mind.
Jazaki Allah khair sis, u really made me have a hope, I do consider my learning now as a big project in my life that is attached to some other projects.
I am a sis btw :)

1) This is not the right time for you to be engaging yourself in these matters (giving dawah). Sometimes, for reasons Allah knows best, things don't go the way we want, because there might be more harm in it for us than good. (Just like my 'projects' are just beginning to take off now.) :)
I thought of that before few months since I was busy with studies and such so I thought that this feeling may be due to me not being concentrating in one thing, but since I graduated now, I keep drawing many plans for my way in life and I really made a very good progress in learning Alhumdulilah but that fear is still there. The more deep I go in certain topic the more fear I get subhanAllah

2) You may have been afflicted with the evil eye. Your abilities may have caused envy in someone's heart? Of course there is no way to prove it, but it seems a likely cause for your situation.
Maybe thats true, to be honest with u, I dont like to talk about my interests to anyone, the dawah here is kinda of something not been interested in by people, some people here got surprised if they know about it, thats why I try to keep my affairs and interests to myself!!!

If I may answer the question.. There is no reason to stop learning the deen and doing so will not achieve anything. This is fardh upon us all. InshaAllah, you will defend the deen bro and bi idhnillah, many will revert from what they hear from your mouth, but while you await progress, utilise this time to increase salah, repentance and duaa and seek advice from knowledgable people who will be able to understand your situation far better and thus advise you much more effeciently than we can. I will pray for you inshaAllah. :statisfie
Exactly!! this is what I think as well, I dont think that I should stop learning about my deen
Ameen to ur duaa sis, jazaki Allah khair

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
As a person ages and learns more they begin to realize that the more they learn the more they know they know very little. A wise genius will know he/she only knows a very tiny bit more then what a baby is born with. When we realize how little we each know, fear strikes in, we suddenly think we are ignorant. We all are very ignorant. It is just that as we learn we do not necessarily become smarter until we understand we are not smarter then anybody, only slightly less ignorant in some subjects.
This is the exact thing I feel now subhanAllah, you explained it very perfectly Uncle Woodrow!

It is good to have fear that we may be in error,but we need to make Du'a for the strength to overcome this fear as it is vital for us to speak what we have found to be true and become willing to speak even in the face of ridicule or persecution.
I always have the fear of making mistakes when talking about my deen that may lead someone away from Islam. That is my main concern. InshaAllah I will keep making duaa that Allah will grant me strength and confidence to be a good image of my deen

Jazakum Allah khair everyone, your advices were very much appreciated, plz keep me in your duaa inshaAllah :)

Snowflake
08-29-2009, 10:38 PM
AnonymousGender;1212359]Jazaki Allah khair sis, u really made me have a hope, I do consider my learning now as a big project in my life that is attached to some other projects.
I am a sis btw :)
Wa iyyaki

You're a sis yay! :statisfie That makes you special then because I'm even more impressed by your intentions and goals knowing you're a sis.. Although my current projects a only a few years old, I was actually 17 when I decided I wanted to be a business woman, and its took over 20 years for that dream to be almost realised. And looking back now sis, I feel if I'd succeeded then, I sure would've made a mess of things, misused my wealth and Allahu alim whatelse. I learnt one thing.. and that is to never worry when things seem to be going the way you want.

I thought of that before few months since I was busy with studies and such so I thought that this feeling may be due to me not being concentrating in one thing, but since I graduated now, I keep drawing many plans for my way in life and I really made a very good progress in learning Alhumdulilah but that fear is still there. The more deep I go in certain topic the more fear I get subhanAllah
I won't pretend I fully understand why this is happening sis. As you say you've now graduated and if it is still happening despite your brain not being over-loaded with too much info. I would suggest revising what you've learnt with someone knowledgable. It may be that once you have their seal of approval the fear will subside and you will be able to go ahead with your work wholeheartedly. I also noticed that sitting with learned people makes a lot of difference to how we feel about ourselves. It's as if their confidence rubs off on you. In fact it benefits us in countless way. So that might be something you can do, if you're not already. :)

Maybe thats true, to be honest with u, I dont like to talk about my interests to anyone, the dawah here is kinda of something not been interested in by people, some people here got surprised if they know about it, thats why I try to keep my affairs and interests to myself!!!
Yeah, we never know sis. Keep seeking protection regularly and if you think it's worth it, perform ruqyah over yourself for getting rid of the affects of the evil eye. www.missionislam.com

Exactly!! this is what I think as well, I dont think that I should stop learning about my deen
Ameen to ur duaa sis, jazaki Allah khair
Wa iyyaki sweety :statisfie

This is the exact thing I feel now subhanAllah, you explained it very perfectly Uncle Woodrow!
I agree, mashaAllah, its such a blessing to have Br. Woodrow amongst us. May Allah bless him and grant him a long and happy life so we may continue benefitting from his words of wisdom and knowledge. Ameen :statisfie

Jazakum Allah khair everyone, your advices were very much appreciated, plz keep me in your duaa inshaAllah :)
Wa iyyaki. It'd be a pleasure sis. Please also remember me &fam and the muslimeen in your duaas. JazakiAllahu khayr. :statisfie

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.