/* */

PDA

View Full Version : magrhib b4 or after iftar

Tony
08-29-2009, 10:34 PM
This is going to sound a dumb question to some ofyou,but I need guidance.
I have been praying magrhib salaat b4 breaking fast, I thought this was right and it seems right. But, tonight some Turkish friends came for iftar and as soon as Adhan was called they sat to eat, I was perplexed and while we ate the isha adhan was called (40 mins after magrhib), my friend said its ok to leave magrhib for sometime, and that they break fast first.
So who can tell me whats right, I prefer to pray magrhib then break fast, it feels right, also can u offer any hadiths etc to back up. Many thanks in advance

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nora.
08-30-2009, 01:37 AM
break you fast as soon as you hear the adhan
with dates or water .. then pray al-maghrib ..
after finishing from praying .. eat whatever you want :)

here's some articles talks about your question
hope you benefit from them :)

The messenger Sallahu Alaihi wa sallam said: when one of you do Iftaar then do it on dates because it is Barakah. If he does not find (any dates) then do Iftaar on water because it is pure. (Tirmithi 658 Abu dawood 2355 Ahmed 4/17) Mishkaat 1990

Anas Ra narrates that The Messenger Sallahu Alaihi wa sallam would break his fast before he performed Salah on some fresh dates, if the were none then on some dry dates and if these were also not available then he would drink some sips of water. (Tirmithi 696 abu Dawood 2356) Mishkaat 1991

Is it better to break one's fast after the sun has set, or to wait until the light has disappeared from the sky?.

Praise be to Allaah.

The Sunnah is to hasten to break the fast, which means breaking fast straight after the sun has set. Delaying the fast until after the stars have come out is the practice of the Jews, and the Raafidis (Shi’ah) followed them in that, So it is not correct to delay it deliberately until later in the evening(after adhan) or to delay it until the end of the adhaan. All of that is contrary to the teachings of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

It was narrated from Sahl ibn Sa’d that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The people will continue to be fine so long as they hasten to break their fast.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1856; Muslim, 1098.

Al-Nawawi said:

This hadeeth means that we are encouraged to hasten to break the fast after ascertaining that the sun has indeed set. What this means is that the ummah’s affairs will continue to be in order and they will be fine so long as they adhere to this Sunnah. But if they delay breaking the fast, that will be an indication of some misguidance that they are following.

Sharh Muslim, 7/208

It was narrated that Abu Awfa (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I was with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) on a journey, and he fasted until the afternoon. Then he said to a man, “Go and prepare a specific kind of food for me.” The man said, “Why not wait until it is evening?” He said, “Go and prepare (that food) for me, and when you see that night has come from this direction, then the fasting person should break his fast.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1857; Muslim, 1101.

It was narrated that Abu ‘Atiyyah said: Masrooq and I entered upon ‘Aa’ishah and said: O Mother of the Believers, there are two men among the companions of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), one of whom hastens to break his fast and pray, and the other delays breaking the fast and prayer. She said: Who is it that hastens to break the fast and to pray? We said, ‘Abd-Allaah (meaning Ibn Mas’ood). She said: That is what the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to do.

Narrated by Muslim, 1099.

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said:

Note:

One of the reprehensible innovations that have appeared in our times is giving the second adhaan approximately twenty minutes before Fajr in Ramadaan, and extinguishing the lamps which indicate that it is haraam to eat and drink for those who want to fast. Those who do this claim that they are erring on the side of caution with regard to an act of worship, but no one knows of this practice except a few. As a result of that, they have started not to give the adhaan until a while after sunset, so as to be certain of the time, as they claim. So they delay breaking the fast and they hasten to eat suhoor, thus going against the Sunnah. Hence they do little good and do a great deal of evil. And Allaah is the One Whose help we seek.

Fath al-Baari, 4/199.

don't forget me from you Du'a

your sister in Islam ,
Nora

Beardo
08-30-2009, 01:45 AM
For me, I eat first and then pray Salatul Maghrib. Interesting question though. I know in some Masajid, they first eat dates and water. Then after Salaah they bring the real deal.

Hameedah
08-30-2009, 02:27 AM
yeah dates and water is good, as long as we don't fill our stomache with food
It was Narrated that: "Nothing is worse than a person who fills his stomach. It should be enough for the son of Adam to have a few bites to satisfy his hunger. If he wishes more, it should be: one-third for his food, one-third for his liquids, and one-third for his breath." (Tarmazi, ibn Majah and Hakim)

*so maximum is one third

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd al-Baari
08-30-2009, 02:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
For me, I eat first and then pray Salatul Maghrib. Interesting question though. I know in some Masajid, they first eat dates and water. Then after Salaah they bring the real deal.
Yup, it's better to break the fast with dates/water, then perfom Salaatul Maghrib, and then the 'real deal'. Maghrib Salaah shouldn't be delayed. :D

:w:

Banu_Hashim
08-30-2009, 02:44 AM
I know in some Masajid, they first eat dates and water. Then after Salaah they bring the real deal.
Yep, that's how we roll. :shade:

IbnAbdulHakim
08-30-2009, 02:45 AM
always after iftar :D

i normally break it wiv a date+water then go straight to salaah :)

Banu_Hashim
08-30-2009, 02:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tony
This is going to sound a dumb question to some ofyou,but I need guidance.
I have been praying magrhib salaat b4 breaking fast, I thought this was right and it seems right. But, tonight some Turkish friends came for iftar and as soon as Adhan was called they sat to eat, I was perplexed and while we ate the isha adhan was called (40 mins after magrhib), my friend said its ok to leave magrhib for sometime, and that they break fast first.
So who can tell me whats right, I prefer to pray magrhib then break fast, it feels right, also can u offer any hadiths etc to back up. Many thanks in advance
When the adthan goes you should definitely eat something, even if it is just a date.

Salahudeen
08-30-2009, 02:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Yep, that's how we roll. :shade:
Standard, on the level :shade:

When the adhaan goes, eat a date then go pray then come back to eat. The time for maghrib prayer goes quickly so it's not good to delay it cos the time to pray it could expire.

Hidaya
08-30-2009, 03:02 AM
We normally break our fast with date and/or water, pray Salaatul Maghrib, and then eat the good stuff.
=]

Ramadhan
08-30-2009, 04:22 AM
I know in some Masajid, they first eat dates and water. Then after Salaah they bring the real deal.
This is also how we do it here in Indonesia.
You should not eat too much before maghrib, other wise it will be very difficult to get up and pray.

Najm
08-30-2009, 05:42 AM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Yes thats, Have a Date, then water, then salaah and then have a date + Real Deal :statisfie

Alhamdulillah

FiAmaaniAllah

جوري
08-30-2009, 05:52 AM
I personally drink and eat three dates then pray.. it gives the body a chance to adjust to this sudden introduction of food.. however, it also depends largely on whether or not I have wudoo. .. If I don't then I have my drink, three dates, then proceed and afterward I pray .. but usually the first is best..

:w:

aadil77
08-30-2009, 07:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tony
But, tonight some Turkish friends came for iftar and as soon as Adhan was called they sat to eat, I was perplexed and while we ate the isha adhan was called (40 mins after magrhib), my friend said its ok to leave magrhib for sometime, and that they break fast first.
That must have been annoying to miss salah because of some food. We used to eat a full meal before praying maghrib in my family, but you shouldn't delay maghrib because the time is really short (max probably 30 mins) so now we just eat a bit then pray, then eat the rest afterwards

zakirs
08-30-2009, 08:27 AM
View Post
roger that :shade:

Cabdullahi
08-30-2009, 08:46 AM
for shizzle thats how get down brother!!! fat chicken drums and oily pokora lumps

Tony
08-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Jazak Allah Khair for all your responses, so its 3 dates and water, salaatul Magrhib then eat. Seems I have been getting slightly wrong by not breaking fast first. Thanks so much brothers and sisters for your guidance, may Allah reward you for your efforts, Ameen

Sari
09-01-2009, 08:49 PM
We break fast with water and dates, have a couple of savouries and tea quickly, and then pray Maghrib. Then we come back to the table for the main meal.

Laila01x
09-02-2009, 01:58 PM
we usually break our fast with dates and have a lil sumthing to eat - then straight to magrib prayers...then come back and have our main meal too.

- IqRa -
09-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Dates and water - Maghrib - Iftaar

Normal routine

AhmadibnNasroon
09-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Grab a few dates, drink a sip of water, pray maghrib...then bust out the biryani! :D

MaiCarInMtl
09-02-2009, 05:46 PM
The people I break my fast with usually do it like this: dates & water, iftar, maghrib. But, mind you, we have over an hour between maghrib and isha so we're never late.

Although I would like to change it to the standard everyone else does: dates & water, maghrib, iftar. Ok, that's it! I'm doing the change! I'll start a new trend with my iftar crowd!

Najm
09-02-2009, 06:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A
Dates and water - Maghrib - Iftaar

Normal routine

AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

MashaAllah! This is the best way!

That way nobody forgets or becomes lazy to pray.

FiAmaaniAllah

Al Ansari
09-02-2009, 07:54 PM
:sl:

Ramadhan Mubarak

Don't fill yourself, you don't want to feel the food coming back up during Taraweeh.

Fi amaan al Kareem

hajibala
09-02-2009, 09:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nora.
break you fast as soon as you hear the adhan
with dates or water .. then pray al-maghrib ..
after finishing from praying .. eat whatever you want :)

here's some articles talks about your question
hope you benefit from them :)

The messenger Sallahu Alaihi wa sallam said: when one of you do Iftaar then do it on dates because it is Barakah. If he does not find (any dates) then do Iftaar on water because it is pure. (Tirmithi 658 Abu dawood 2355 Ahmed 4/17) Mishkaat 1990

Anas Ra narrates that The Messenger Sallahu Alaihi wa sallam would break his fast before he performed Salah on some fresh dates, if the were none then on some dry dates and if these were also not available then he would drink some sips of water. (Tirmithi 696 abu Dawood 2356) Mishkaat 1991

Is it better to break one's fast after the sun has set, or to wait until the light has disappeared from the sky?.

Praise be to Allaah.

The Sunnah is to hasten to break the fast, which means breaking fast straight after the sun has set. Delaying the fast until after the stars have come out is the practice of the Jews, and the Raafidis (Shi’ah) followed them in that, So it is not correct to delay it deliberately until later in the evening(after adhan) or to delay it until the end of the adhaan. All of that is contrary to the teachings of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

It was narrated from Sahl ibn Sa’d that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The people will continue to be fine so long as they hasten to break their fast.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1856; Muslim, 1098.

Al-Nawawi said:

This hadeeth means that we are encouraged to hasten to break the fast after ascertaining that the sun has indeed set. What this means is that the ummah’s affairs will continue to be in order and they will be fine so long as they adhere to this Sunnah. But if they delay breaking the fast, that will be an indication of some misguidance that they are following.

Sharh Muslim, 7/208

It was narrated that Abu Awfa (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I was with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) on a journey, and he fasted until the afternoon. Then he said to a man, “Go and prepare a specific kind of food for me.” The man said, “Why not wait until it is evening?” He said, “Go and prepare (that food) for me, and when you see that night has come from this direction, then the fasting person should break his fast.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1857; Muslim, 1101.

It was narrated that Abu ‘Atiyyah said: Masrooq and I entered upon ‘Aa’ishah and said: O Mother of the Believers, there are two men among the companions of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), one of whom hastens to break his fast and pray, and the other delays breaking the fast and prayer. She said: Who is it that hastens to break the fast and to pray? We said, ‘Abd-Allaah (meaning Ibn Mas’ood). She said: That is what the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to do.

Narrated by Muslim, 1099.

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said:

Note:

One of the reprehensible innovations that have appeared in our times is giving the second adhaan approximately twenty minutes before Fajr in Ramadaan, and extinguishing the lamps which indicate that it is haraam to eat and drink for those who want to fast. Those who do this claim that they are erring on the side of caution with regard to an act of worship, but no one knows of this practice except a few. As a result of that, they have started not to give the adhaan until a while after sunset, so as to be certain of the time, as they claim. So they delay breaking the fast and they hasten to eat suhoor, thus going against the Sunnah. Hence they do little good and do a great deal of evil. And Allaah is the One Whose help we seek.

Fath al-Baari, 4/199.

don't forget me from you Du'a

your sister in Islam ,
Nora
yes i agree with you.

Ibn-Shakoor
09-02-2009, 09:52 PM
:sl:
I personally perform wadhu before breaking the fast as it then helps me stay awake after a exhausting day. I drink water,eat a few dates then lead the prayer for my family(My father,2 elder brothers,1 elder sister,1 younger brother and my mother) alhumdulilah that is what I do. I do know that the maghrib Saalah should not be delayed as the Isha Saalah. Though many opinions vary through different personailities and circumstances.
:wa:

syilla
09-03-2009, 01:55 AM
:salamext:

Our way is to do iftaar right after maghrib... but we have to eat little not too much because we have to catch up with maghrib prayers. Usually it takes only 10-15 minutes.

We do this because it is to clean up the table right away then you can concentrate on prayer and stuffs. After that you can just relax and do a bit of quran reading....InshaAllah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.