/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Long or Short Taraweeh?

Beardo
08-31-2009, 12:02 AM
What do you like... Please do comment as well!

Actually, the reason I made this topic is because I realized my taraweeh is not exactly slow. It's on the faster side... I just can't read slow at the end of the day.

My teacher said I should read slowly. He said you'll get more Musallis if you recite fast, but for my own self, slower the better. lol... My teachers used to call me Bullet, because I read so fast. :X

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rasema
08-31-2009, 12:38 AM
Is it obligatory to go to Taraweeh?

I never went.
I know that the whole Qur'an is recited. How long would it take them?

I went to my(European) mosque once and I wont go again due to bidat. The imam was extremely fast and I like to take my time. I think that he has to go fast because of the hadeeth.
If you know Arabic, for God's sake enjoy the suras.

The thing that I don't understand, If we have to pause after each aja of the srah Al-Fatiha,than why are we so fast during Salat.

Humbler_359
08-31-2009, 01:02 AM
Most people including me go to Taraweeh during Isha times.

I would say one hour if you want up to 10 short, if you want full 20 long- it takes about 2 hours or less.

Some people prefer 4 or 6 (30 minutes), up to you..

Humbler_359
08-31-2009, 01:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rasema

I never went.

I went to my(European) mosque once and I wont go again due to bidat. The imam was extremely fast and I like to take my time. I think that he has to go fast because of the hadeeth.

The thing that I don't understand, If we have to pause after each aja of the srah Al-Fatiha,than why are we so fast during Salat.
For my mosque, Imam is speaking all English, not only Arabic. It is good listening Imam's speech during Taraweeh. I enjoyed it. :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
abdullah_001
08-31-2009, 03:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rasema

I never went.

:sl:

Sister, I have to say I agree with you. Some of the imams recite so fast its like they're not even taking from what they're reciting or even trying to understand, like they just want to finish.

I'd rather the imam takes longer but recites slowly so we can at least try to understand the meaning n such.

But some of the imams recite so beautifully you would never want them to stop, only Allah swt knows best.

Ummu Sufyaan
08-31-2009, 03:04 AM
you should put a "i don't mind, i'll pray as much as my heart contents be it long or short" option

Tony
08-31-2009, 03:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
you should put a "i don't mind, i'll pray as much as my heart contents be it long or short" option
excellent answer, defines the meaning of the prayer:D

Na7lah
08-31-2009, 03:16 AM
I don't really mind, here we have three Imams, one is pretty fast and the other is kinda slow and the last is really slow and they take turns leading alhamdulillah

Beardo
08-31-2009, 07:02 AM
In all honesty, I'm okay with moderation or fast. But there's one Imam here who recites too slow, really. No kidding, people groan or let out an "oof" when he starts. I find that rude, but I can't blame them either.

I'd prefer a rather fast taraweeh to be honest. :X Though I'm noticing mashallah there's a lot of pious people on this forum who enjoy the long taraweeh! Masha'Allah! May Allah increase their piety, and the piety of us all. Ameen.

ژاله
08-31-2009, 07:16 AM
As long as the imam recites beautifully, i am okay with the slowest of the taraweeh.

aadil77
08-31-2009, 11:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
In all honesty, I'm okay with moderation or fast. But there's one Imam here who recites too slow, really. No kidding, people groan or let out an "oof" when he starts. I find that rude, but I can't blame them either.
lool sound like desi's

Al-Zaara
08-31-2009, 11:18 AM
As long as the imam recites beautifully, i am okay with the slowest of the taraweeh.
Ah, me too personally! I can take it all really, but there are many cases in which I just don't like the way the one reciting speaks, be it the voice or way of making pauses or saying the words.

Moderate is the way to go, I think.

Cabdullahi
08-31-2009, 11:35 AM
I think short is the best because we have children ,those of old age and mothers who started their day standing infront of the stove until sunset cooking so it would be best to keep it at a reasonable pace

short segments of a surah can be absorbed better by the masses in terms of contemplation

but we have to look at how many rakats and at what speed exactly the prophet prayed and that will give us the answer

Far7an
08-31-2009, 11:38 AM
I prefer fast like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55jNgcq5pLY

But not as fast as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUDXBxTZq34

Güven
08-31-2009, 11:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an

subhanAllah , That's just soooo wrong. :\

I prefer the more balanced one , Not too fast and not too slow.

Na7lah
08-31-2009, 11:56 AM
:skeleton: its like they aren't even getting a chance to say anything during the salah :hmm: ...wow

Beardo
08-31-2009, 12:15 PM
Someone said that video was fast forwarded. Either way, I cracked up big time while watching it. I shot an email to my teachers with the link saying "Assalamu Alaykum. Last night I had emailed you guts saying I read a little fast. Here's an example."

but really... Those brothers get some really good exercise...

AhmadibnNasroon
08-31-2009, 05:03 PM
Assalamu 3laykum,

4. Or a little more; and recite the Qur'ân (aloud) in a slow, (pleasant tone and) style (Surah Muzzammil:4)

I can't understand how some masaajid read and the speed they do. There is no khushoo' at all. One cannot contemplate on the speech of Allah sub7anahu wa ta'3la. It's as if its a race to see how face you can finish taraweeh. May Allah save us from this.

As for Salaat'ul Taraweeh, it is not obligatory but I definitely enjoy praying it in the masjid during Ramadan. The masaajid I go to read about 1-2 pages of the mushaf per rakah which is cool. And I love du3a qunoot in jamma3ah.

Rasema
09-01-2009, 12:38 AM
This is the best Taraweh I've heard. Listen, you won't regret it, he cries at the end,it seems.

Yasir Ad-Dowsary | Touching & Emotional | Taraweeh 1428

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8yg4..._embedded#t=24

Every time I listen to it it makes me wheep.

IslamicRevival
09-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Salaam I have to say i feel infuriated when people complain Taraweeh is 'too long' I mean these are the words of Allah SWT being read and people are saying its "too long"? :raging:

I mean come off it please! The longer the better! I want to listen to our creator, Allah SWT's words and i dont care if it takes an hour or an hour and a half! Sorry, Had to get that off me chest :)

IslamicRevival
09-01-2009, 01:03 AM
PS. I noticed Sa'ad Al Ghamdi was reciting Taraweeh in Madinah a few days ago! I was shocked but overjoyed at the same time when i heard his voice as its very rare you get to hear someone like Al Ghamdi reciting Taraweeh in Madinah! If you are in the UK, go to channel 841 (Peace TV Urdu) at around sehri time and it might be on again. He reads 10 Raka'at and Al Budair (if that's correctly pronounced) takes over. Recitation was just stunning!:cry:

Ibn-Shakoor
09-01-2009, 01:06 AM
I personally would like to have a moderate taraweeh. I have to be honest,but I feel extremely exhausted by the time it ends. Everyone has their Patience tested one day or another. Though the recitation should be soothing enough to relax me after an exhausted day. The meaning of the recitation matters for me than the speed.
:w:

IslamicRevival
09-01-2009, 01:12 AM
That cannot be real, has to be fast forwarded. I felt a little uneasy watching it

Rasema
09-01-2009, 01:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Shakoor
I personally would like to have a moderate taraweeh. I have to be honest,but I feel extremely exhausted by the time it ends. Everyone has their Patience tested one day or another. Though the recitation should be soothing enough to relax me after an exhausted day. The meaning of the recitation matters for me than the speed.
:w:
There is a hadeeth that speeks about a similar situation. I think that the prophet,saws, encouraged us to keep Salat moderate,im not sure since I don't have the hadeeth present.
Wasalam

abu_musab461
09-01-2009, 01:38 AM
the Quran should be read slowly with tarteel, i hate it when they read fast, you can undertsand what they are saying and its mockry of the Quran

so i prefer slow recitation. Green Lane Masjid is tops!

the messenger of Allah said "Whoever compleates the prayer behind the imam it will be recorded for him as though he prayed the whole night"

nightingale
09-01-2009, 02:09 AM
SubhanAllah...that is fast

:hmm: I feel this is a modified video, how can everybody be fast in such unison. I see one person bowing down even before the imam....

Beardo
09-01-2009, 02:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightingale
SubhanAllah...that is fast

:hmm: I feel this is a modified video, how can everybody be fast in such unison. I see one person bowing down even before the imam....
I initially thought it was modified too. So many people, are you telling me NONE of them complained at the speed? :X Though, I don't know... But if it really is that fast, i guess you are sort of required to go down before the Imaam...

Bukhari1986
09-03-2009, 07:06 AM
for myself i prefer loooong taraweeeh

Method
09-04-2009, 04:43 AM
Personally I prefer long taraweeh, short taraweeh you don't really have time to ponder over whats being read.

أبو سليمان عمر
09-04-2009, 05:26 AM
far7an subhan Allah i hope the second one is just someone making it fast like fast forwarding or speeding it up inshallah if not then may Allah guide them ameen this is 100% wrong ass for me i like the reading to be normal not to slow not to fast but like him to read Alot (atleast 2 pages a rakat) thats just me thou

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-05-2009, 12:12 AM

I prefer the qiyam to be lengthy..and the recitation to be something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPGywOrdbiQ

But I don't mind the kind of speed in the first video posted by Br. Far7an. As long as it isn't super fast and the recitation is understandable..Alhamdullilah its good.

MMohammed
09-05-2009, 12:18 AM
You Should add an option "Depends on Time" because sometimes I am right not in the mood to perform a long Taraweeh.And sometimes when the faith has rose to its top, I can perform Long Taraweeh.
Taraweeh is not obligatory.Our Beloved Prophet(S.A.W) also leaved it sometimes.You can although do some other worship at the times of Taraweeh when you are not performing it.

*Yasmin*
09-05-2009, 02:11 AM
i love and do prefer long taraweeh but when i like the imam's voice
honestly yani once i went to pray taraweeh the imam asked from another person to replace him .. and he has how do i say annoying voice ,, and he is not slow , he was too slow!!!
when i finishd salah i was able to destroy walls *kidding*^^ but i was waiting to the last minute, to the end of the salah so hard, and i couldn't focus too!!

Ansariyah
09-05-2009, 03:34 AM
I prefer the middle one..Islam is easy why make it difficult? Imagine if these super lengthy taraweehs put some people off taraweeh? Giving them more excuse not to attend it.

MMohammed
09-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Agree with Yanoorah.

Misz_Muslimah
09-05-2009, 12:50 PM
I think it all depends on the imam that is reciting the quran..the better he is..the more you wanna stay and pray

MMohammed
09-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Yah Right.When you are in Makkah.You are just lost in the rythm!
They indeed select the NO.1 Imams!

Bub
09-05-2009, 07:57 PM
I go to mosque where it is near my home in evenings actually i do not understand what Iman says according to my deafness but i read Qur'Ran instead so i would say slow so i have more time to read Qur'Ran LOL , Taraweeh is important in Ramadhan, apparently. Prayer during nights shall be forgive? Correct my error, Ameen

MMohammed
09-05-2009, 08:45 PM
There is no use of reading Quran unless you know its meaning.

Misz_Muslimah
09-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Anyone correct me if Im wrong or if im not allowed..but I read along with the imam with an english translation so i can understand what he's saying coz theres no point of me standing there not knowing what he's saying..

Not sure if its allowed so could anyone post and correct me if im wrong:?

Bub
09-05-2009, 10:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Misz_Muslimah
Anyone correct me if Im wrong or if im not allowed..but I read along with the imam with an english translation so i can understand what he's saying coz theres no point of me standing there not knowing what he's saying..

Not sure if its allowed so could anyone post and correct me if im wrong:?
im doing the same as u, my mother read too but in arabic. i do not understand arabic but im learning it by step and step, very slow at moment due to my bad memory, might Allah make it easy for me, insha'Allah. So its allowed :D

Bub
09-05-2009, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MMohammed
There is no use of reading Quran unless you know its meaning.
sorry i do not understand u :embarrass

The Ruler
09-05-2009, 10:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bub
sorry i do not understand u :embarrass
I believe what he was trying to say was: just reading the Qur'an is not enough. You must try to understand it too. Understanding it is what will allow you to comprehend the true beauty of the words you're reciting.

Bub
09-05-2009, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
I believe what he was trying to say was: just reading the Qur'an is not enough. You must try to understand it too. Understanding it is what will allow you to comprehend the true beauty of the words you're reciting.
of course i do understand it expect some... i need to take Arabic class by Allah's Willing.

Misz_Muslimah
09-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Jazaakalahu khayran sister Bub..may allah make it easy for you to learn arabic inshallah :statisfie

Banu_Hashim
09-08-2009, 01:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaak
ditto. While I don't to stand until I have pins and needles down my leg I want the Imam to mean and understand every word he's saying.

studentof_Islam
09-08-2009, 03:30 PM
I know that the Sahabah (RA) would sometimes pray taraweeh from Isha prayer all the way up to the Suhoor so i'm with long.

Also I love listening to the Noble Quran.

Sawdah
01-09-2010, 05:17 PM
As long as I understand what is being read, I'm good. :)
The Taraweeh I go to is not too fast but not too slow either.

Beardo
05-19-2010, 03:35 AM
It's quite apparent that Ramadhan is drawing closer since this thread is reliving.

shuraimfan4lyf
05-19-2010, 04:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muraad

I prefer the qiyam to be lengthy..and the recitation to be something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPGywOrdbiQ

But I don't mind the kind of speed in the first video posted by Br. Far7an. As long as it isn't super fast and the recitation is understandable..Alhamdullilah its good.
Whoaa thats Irving masjid and I see Sheikh Zia in the back! lol..But I attend the center masjid. And we have two imams for taraweeh. One imam reads in medium pace but he doesnt read alot. And our other Imam(my fav) Sheikh Masood, he reads fast but with tajweed and I really enjoy his qirat. I think taraweeh should be in medium pace, like you dont want the imam to read like minshawi and basit in salat lol. Sheikh Shuraim is a great example, his speed and qirat is awesome! mashaAllah.

brotherubaid
05-20-2010, 09:59 PM
May Allah bless u all

I do not know whats even the use of reciting FAST!

What the wisdom behind taraweeh brothers n sisters?

u will see some peple n specially mostly desi imams (india/pak.bangla) they recite soo fast one can never benefit from them , the ayahs that would make ur sking shiver n make u cry only if some one would recite it a bit slowly n with a LITTLE CARE go past one after the other and u get absoltely ni khushoo , so end of the day u get notthing out of ur taraweeh apart form the fact that u can telll all your mates i pray at the masjid that is doing the khatam, WOW! great ! and i even see people boast like our mosque completes THREE QURANS in taraweeh! SubhanAllah , i have seen what some may Allah guide them do in trying to finish one quran , i cant even imagine how three qurans would feel like , u wont even get to hear what the guy is saying.

The nights of ramadan are for qiyaam , and for quran , Jibreel alihi as salam used to revise the quran with the Prophet sala lahu alihi wa sallama nd he did it twice in the the last raadan of the prophet sala lahu alihi wa sallam , to me taraweeh is about benefitting from the quran , pondering overits meanings , getting benefit from the ayahs , getting a change of heart or tawbah and returning To Allah.

The taraweeh should be long , and the recitation should be moderate , wallahi its really wrong how some recite ,

check salah bu khatir for example on youtube , all his recitations on there are from taraweeh , see how he recites , See how the taraweeh i masjid al haram is , how shuraim n them do it , mahir specially , very moderate , atleast soem will benefit from it

but if u just wana do a drill , which ends up with distributing sweeets on the khatam of quran than hey! dosent even matter long or sort , fast or slow.

Some of the 11 rakat taraweehs is have been to have been more beautiful n more benefitting than the whole past life of 23 rakats in high-speed. did not benefit a word! and i speak read and write arabic since childhood, whata waste of about 20years that was!

Salah bu khatir completes a quran in ramadan , prays BEAUTIFUL 11 rakats taraweeh , and last ten days prays 11 ralat taraweeh n then later 8 rakat tahajud late in the night in the same mosque and both combined completes the quran , others like sheikh abu ubaid comeplete a juz in 8 rakats , very beutiful n moderate.

so its all about benefetting in my opinion and giving the quran its right.

BlackMamba
05-25-2010, 08:54 PM
I agree that the pace that the imams of the haramain recite in taraweeh is the standard and is the best pace for taraweeh, no question about it. I think going a little faster than that is acceptable, because lets be honest, the imams like Sheikh Shuraim/Juhanee/Sudais/Budair/Maher are the best in the world. Not all imams have as much control on their pace as those imams do. But reading so fast that words are eaten up and tajweed is ignored is unacceptable.

Salam:)
07-14-2010, 06:58 AM
In the mosque I attend we pray 20 rakah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.