/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Obligatory to seek knowledge

Rasema
09-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Assalamu Alikum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatuh

I've read a pleanty of times that we're obligated to seek knowledge. It increases your iman.

I spend hours on this forum, and for some reason I realise that this is not the way to seek knowledge. Just because I don't spend time on waistfull and haram things doesn't mean I'm seeking knowledge.

"It's not about how much you know,it's about how much you act upon it"

I want knowledge that I've mentioned in this quote,which knowledge would that be?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Beardo
09-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Such as the 5 pillars. That's what most of the scholars agree upon, that knowledge in that Hadith refers to the compulsory (such as the 5 pillars). It definitely refers to Islamic knowledge, NOT secular knowledge.

Sampharo
09-01-2009, 01:20 PM
I spend hours on this forum, and for some reason I realise that this is not the way to seek knowledge.
You're absolutely right, but this place was not made to increase knowledge much. You will get to learn a few things here certainly, but no way you will actually GAIN serious Islamic knowledge. To do that you need to read secondary Islamic books and sit for lectures with scholars in your area or through an education online portal. It's also good to measure how much you know now and what books and curriculum you need to study to get where you want to be.

The obligatory amount of knowledge though is like Rashed said, is concerned with your individual obligations (Fard Ain). These are learning basics of reciting Quran, along with enough Arabic to do so, and learn all the requirements of your required worship and the five pillars of Islam, we're talking ablution, prayer, basic supplications, fasting rules and allowances, zakat payment, haj steps, major (kabaer) and minor sins, halal and haram basis, and basics of Aqeedah (faith, creed) and Tawheed (belief in the one God, that his Shariah trumps all laws, etc.).

Non-obligatory are specialized or advanced knowledge such as fiqh, principals of fiqh, science of hadith and narration etc., or community obligation (fard Kefaya) such as funerals, Takfeen, Roqya, etc., or unislamic knowledge such as worldly knowledge of science and math or professional skills such as medicine or farming.

May God lead you to the path of enlightenment

cat eyes
09-03-2009, 08:33 PM
salaam sister

it is also my passion to seek knowledge and i do take tension about it sometimes and worry that i am waisting my time but you know i believe internet helps me alot. and i believe this forum is helping me also in many area's like i have came across very pious advice from a couple of members and it makes me want to change my behaviour in some ways and help me to be a bit more sincere. i really prefer people to help and realise what i am doing wrong then judge me and there is alot of people like that, and i do find alot of that. of course its not healthy to be glued to the laptop.. But i do find its helpful. i am starting a course soon

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Humbler_359
09-03-2009, 11:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rasema
Assalamu Alikum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatuh

I've read a pleanty of times that we're obligated to seek knowledge. It increases your iman.

I spend hours on this forum, and for some reason I realise that this is not the way to seek knowledge. Just because I don't spend time on waistfull and haram things doesn't mean I'm seeking knowledge.

"It's not about how much you know,it's about how much you act upon it"

I want knowledge that I've mentioned in this quote,which knowledge would that be?

Assalam O Alaikum Rasema,

It is great question to ask, What's this forum about? Why spending quality time here? What's ur responsible? Will this help you better? heat debate?

I am glad to join this forum in right time, I want to be fellowship with Muslim brothers and sisters. I can show them verses with my knowledge and research, which is my responsible. I don't have to be involved in wasting times in hot debating in every topics/threads.

It is individual's how much they gain their knowledges and motivation from reading Qur'an, pray, research, Sunnah, and du'a everyday.

With my due respect and humble, I can help people anything they ask or they help me better. So I appreciate my time here with Islamicboard-The best forum! :D

Good Thinking, Rasema!

أبو سليمان عمر
09-04-2009, 01:37 AM
wa alaykumus salam wa rahmatullah wa baaraktuh

Mashallah great question first things first Tawheed
ok we should start with the basics of islam them move up once we have established that arabic is important as well but here are somebooks inshallah they can benefit

Explaining the Foundations of Faith — Shaykh Ibn Al-’Uthaymeen, rahimahullaah
Thalaathat al-Usool – The Three Fundamental Bases of Islamic Theology (pdf) <<, a book every muslim should read and even try to memorize 22 pages
Q.We would like some advice about the books which the seeker of Islamic knowledge should obtain, study and refer to.
A. Books Recommended by Shaik Ibn Uthaimeen

Dr Saleh As-Saleh rahimahullaah (Books) <<< this is a selection of good books to read as well and there are many many more

so inshallah this will be of some benefit
May Allah increase us in knowledge Ameen

Rasema
09-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Assalamu Alikum wa rahamtullah wa baraktuh

Thank you broter Umer. I asked for something to act upon and you gave it to me.

Brothers and sisters, please don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to bash the forum. Forums help when it comes to other people challenging you about Islam. The negative effect of the forums I experience is, for example, if you spend a great amount of time watching pictures it would interfear with your salah. Those pictures would be in your head during salah,to make my self clearer.

If I read about salah, my salah becomes desirable and more skilled.

Thanks again:statisfie

alcurad
09-06-2009, 05:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Such as the 5 pillars. That's what most of the scholars agree upon, that knowledge in that Hadith refers to the compulsory (such as the 5 pillars). It definitely refers to Islamic knowledge, NOT secular knowledge.
Not brother, the scholars are not the prophet.

increasingly the Muslims have fallen behind in all matters for many centuries now for the simple reason they don't know much about 'secular knowledge', don't make it worse please.

also, IB is quite beneficial in it's own way, during Ramadan the activity dies down so perhaps that's why you feel like that. and remember, reading lots of books/asking many questions does not necessarily equal knowledge.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.