/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fasting and ramadan

markislam
09-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I am having some issues with fasting.

I did start fasting on ramadan day but could not continue.

I am fasting every fridays, and this friday to monday i will be fasting. I am off friday to sundays.

i drive 125 miles every day to work and i work 10 hour shifts.

i drive on high way and it is really dangerous driving while fasting, as you cant give full concentration on road.

So i am planning to make up for fasting i missed during ramadan all through the year.

I want your inputs on this. :nervous:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
rpwelton
09-02-2009, 02:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by markislam
I am having some issues with fasting.

I did start fasting on ramadan day but could not continue.

I am fasting every fridays, and this friday to monday i will be fasting. I am off friday to sundays.

i drive 125 miles every day to work and i work 10 hour shifts.

i drive on high way and it is really dangerous driving while fasting, as you cant give full concentration on road.

So i am planning to make up for fasting i missed during ramadan all through the year.

I want your inputs on this. :nervous:
See this answer from Islam Q&A:

I am a man who travels all the time for work purposes and I always perform all the obligatory prayers whilst travelling, but I do not fast during Ramadaan. Do I have the right to do that?.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible for you, whilst travelling, to shorten the four-rak’ah prayers and to combine Zuhr and ‘Asr at the time of either of them, and Maghrib and ‘Isha’ at the time of either of them. It is also permissible for you not to fast during Ramadaan when you are travelling, but you have to make up the days that you did not fast during Ramadaan, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days”

[al-Baqarah 2:185]

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon his family and companions.
source: http://islamqa.com/en/ref/27027/fast...aveling%20work

Also see this one:

I travel aproximately 40 miles to work by car everyday between Monday and Friday, leaving the vicinity of my city. I return home each day in the evening. May I shorthen my prayers at work even if I am travelling everyday?

Praise be to Allaah.

If a person travels 100 km from his town, or thereabouts, he may follow the rulings of travel by shortening his prayers, not fasting, combining his prayers and wiping over his socks [in wudoo’] for three days, because this distance is considered to be traveling. The same applies if he travels 80 km or thereabouts; that is considered to be the distance which dictates that prayers may be shortened according to the majority of scholars.
source: http://islamqa.com/en/ref/10993/fast...aveling%20work

In regards to the above, it appears to be that you are considered a traveler (125 miles = approx 200 km) even though you commute every day to work, and as a traveler you can shorten prayers and do not need to fast (but must make it up later). It's best if you can find someone of knowledge to confirm this, because each situation is unique and you can't always apply one fatwa to different situations.

markislam
09-02-2009, 03:57 PM
i do the 5 prayers every day, my question is about the fast.

S_87
09-02-2009, 04:06 PM
i think the brother posted those things because although your question is about fasting those answers are with regards to salah and travelling..and if youre a traveller then the ruling of salah changes just like the ruling of fasting and an 125 mile journey makes ones a traveller. and from the same site:

The Qur’aan and Sunnah, and the consensus of the ummah, indicate that a person who is travelling during the day in Ramadaan is allowed not to fast. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days”

The fuqaha’ (may Allaah have mercy on them) stated that the traveller who is allowed not to fast is one who is travelling the distance at which it becomes permissible to shorten the prayers, and is travelling for a permissible purpose.

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/50758/fasting%20travel

however for your particular question i think it is better to ask a scholar so he can give a ruling to your situation, as this is a general ruling and if possible it is preferrable to still fast

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
أبو سليمان عمر
09-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Q 6: which is better, observing Sawm (fasting) or breaking Sawm while traveling?

A: Many Sahih (authentic) Hadiths which reported the sayings and the deeds of the Prophet (peace be upon him) proved that it is better for a traveler to break Sawm, whether there is hardship in travel or not. However, it is permissible for a traveler to observe Sawm.It was narrated by Imam Muslim (may Allah be merciful with him), from Hamzah ibn `Amr Al-Aslamy that he said, "O Messenger of Allah! I am strong enough to observe Sawm during travel; is there any sin in doing that?" Thereupon, the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, "It is a Rukhsah (concession) from Allah; whoever takes advantage thereof is approved and whoever prefers to observe Sawm has no sin incurred."

( Part No : 10, Page No: 210)

May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family and Companions!

Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta'

The fasting of a traveler

( Part No : 10, Page No: 200)

First question from Fatwa No. 10604

Q 1: What is the ruling on offering Salah and observing Sawm during travel? Which is better: Offering Salah in full and observing Sawm (Fast) or adopting the concessions [shortening Salah and breaking the fast] taking into consideration that far distances have become near in our present time and travel hardships have been removed?

A: It is better for a traveler to break his fast during Ramadan and shorten the four-Rak`ah Salahs (Prayer consisting of four units). It has been authentically reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, Allah likes you to make use of His concessions just as He loves you to abide by His firm commandments Similarly, the Prophet says, It is not righteousness to fast on a journey.

May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions!

Second question from Fatwa No. 7652:

Q 2: what is the distance of travel in which a traveler may break their Sawm (Fast)? what if a traveler does not break it?

A: Some scholars made it permissible to shorten a four-Rak`ah Salah (Prayer) and break Sawm during the day of Ramadan as long as the person is in a state of travel. The Majority of scholars determined the distance to be approximately eighty kilometers.

As for a person who observes Sawm during travel, their Sawm is valid due to the evidence in support of its validity unless harm is expected due to fasting in which case a traveler should break their Sawm, for the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “It is not righteousness to fast while traveling.”

( Part No : 10, Page No: 204)

May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions!

For more regarding this matter pls go Fasting of a traveler

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.