/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam views on suicide?

AnonymousPoster
09-04-2009, 01:05 AM
:sl:

What's the Islamic rules on suicide?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
أبو سليمان عمر
09-04-2009, 01:21 AM
Response: Suicide is when a person kills himself intentionally by whatever means. This is haraam and regarded as amongst the major sins, and likewise included in the general statement of Allaah (Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala):

{And whoever kills a believer intentionally, his recompense is Hell to abide therein, and the Wrath and the Curse of Allaah are upon him, and a great punishment is prepared for him}, [Soorah an-Nisaa, Aayah 93].

And it is established from the Sunnah on the authority of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) who said:

((Indeed, whoever (intentionally) kills himself, then certainly he will be punished in the Fire of Hell, wherein he shall dwell forever)), [Bukhaaree (5778) and Muslim (109 and 110)].

In reality, the one who commits suicide, generally does so because of his desperate situation, either as a direct result of an act of Allaah or a human being. So you find him unable to cope with that which has afflicted him, and in actual fact he is like one who is calling for help from the scorching heat of the fire. So he has progressed from that which was tough (bad) to that which is worse. And if he was patient, then Allaah would have assisted him in dealing with the difficulty.

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
Kayfa Nu'aalij Waaqi'unaa al-Aleem - Page 120

Suicide

Fatwa No. 10914

Q: For more than a year I have been suffering from the stress of a horrible mental conflict which ended up with me contemplating suicide . Even though I have the courage to do it, I fear that I may incur the displeasure of Allah (may He be Exalted) if my life ended in this way.

There is a variety of reasons, both related to this life and the Hereafter. Since my early childhood I have been a sort of 'ill-fated' person, if I may use the term. After finishing intermediate school, the financial conditions of my family meant that I could not complete my university studies like the rest of my brothers, sisters, and all my friends. Six years ago I packed up my luggage and left Egypt hoping that Allah (may He be Exalted) would make it up for me. Amazingly enough,

( Part No : 3, Page No: 537)

after six years of hard work, I could not even save enough money to get married. I used to endure it patiently knowing that Allah (may He be Exalted) is on the side of those who are patient. However, I could not stand being patient any longer. I started to experience a state of mental break-down. I was no longer able to endure my own shadow moving with me wherever I went. I used to restrain myself from treading the path of Satan who would prompt me to commit immoral acts. Now I feel I am not the person I used to be. I fear that Satan may tempt me to commit theft or adultery. I have always hoped to die after a blameless life. Therefore, I would rather commit suicide than do an act that is displeasing to Allah (may He be Exalted). Is it permissible for me to do that? Allah (may He be Praised) knows best that I intend to do this for His sake. Please guide me. May Allah reward and protect you and guide your steps. May His peace, mercy and blessings be upon you. I hope that your reply will be in accordance with the teachings of the Qur'an and Sunnah (whatever is reported from the Prophet).

A: It is not permissible for you to attempt suicide because it is Islamically prohibited and is considered one of the major sins. Allah (may He be Exalted) says:Surah Al-Nisa', 4: 29 And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allâh is Most Merciful to you. It has been authentically narrated that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:

( Part No : 3, Page No: 538)

Verily your blood, your property, and your honour are as sacred and inviolable. The Prophet (peace be upon him) also said: "He who kills himself with something, will be tormented with it on the Day of Resurrection." This Hadith is agreed upon ( narrated by Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

You should know that your preferring to die while not committing an act that displeases Allah (may He be Exalted) is an evil insinuation that is prompted by Satan. You should seek refuge with Allah (may He be Glorified and Exalted) from Satan and supplicate to Him repeatedly so that He may protect you from these evil insinuations. You should be keen on performing acts of worship which bring you closer to Allah (may He be Exalted). You should also avoid violating the prohibitions that He declared and keep yourself aloof from evil company. You should bear with patience whatever befalls you so that perhaps Allah (may He be Exalted) will guide you to the path of truth and protect you from following the path of delusion. May Allah guide us all towards that which is loving and pleasing to Him.

May Allah grant us success and peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family and companions.

Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta

Ansariyah
09-04-2009, 01:25 AM
The Noble Qur'an - An-Nisa 4:29

...And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allah is Most Merciful to you.

The Prophet saws said, "Whoever purposely throws himself from a mountain and kills himself, will be in the (Hell) Fire falling down into it and abiding therein perpetually forever; and whoever drinks poison and kills himself with it, he will be carrying his poison in his hand and drinking it in the (Hell) Fire wherein he will abide eternally forever; and whoever kills himself with an iron weapon, will be carrying that weapon in his hand and stabbing his abdomen with it in the (Hell) Fire wherein he will abide eternally forever. (Bukhari)

cat eyes
09-04-2009, 01:35 AM
also i would like 2 add 2 that great post by the brother. If you ever think about suicide. Think about your loved one etc family, brothers and sisters who you are intending to leave behind

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Alphadude
09-04-2009, 01:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umar^111
Response: Suicide is when a person kills himself intentionally by whatever means. This is haraam and regarded as amongst the major sins, and likewise included in the general statement of Allaah (Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala):

{And whoever kills a believer intentionally, his recompense is Hell to abide therein, and the Wrath and the Curse of Allaah are upon him, and a great punishment is prepared for him}, [Soorah an-Nisaa, Aayah 93].

And it is established from the Sunnah on the authority of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) who said:

((Indeed, whoever (intentionally) kills himself, then certainly he will be punished in the Fire of Hell, wherein he shall dwell forever)), [Bukhaaree (5778) and Muslim (109 and 110)].

In reality, the one who commits suicide, generally does so because of his desperate situation, either as a direct result of an act of Allaah or a human being. So you find him unable to cope with that which has afflicted him, and in actual fact he is like one who is calling for help from the scorching heat of the fire. So he has progressed from that which was tough (bad) to that which is worse. And if he was patient, then Allaah would have assisted him in dealing with the difficulty.

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
Kayfa Nu'aalij Waaqi'unaa al-Aleem - Page 120

Suicide

Fatwa No. 10914

Q: For more than a year I have been suffering from the stress of a horrible mental conflict which ended up with me contemplating suicide . Even though I have the courage to do it, I fear that I may incur the displeasure of Allah (may He be Exalted) if my life ended in this way.

There is a variety of reasons, both related to this life and the Hereafter. Since my early childhood I have been a sort of 'ill-fated' person, if I may use the term. After finishing intermediate school, the financial conditions of my family meant that I could not complete my university studies like the rest of my brothers, sisters, and all my friends. Six years ago I packed up my luggage and left Egypt hoping that Allah (may He be Exalted) would make it up for me. Amazingly enough,

( Part No : 3, Page No: 537)

after six years of hard work, I could not even save enough money to get married. I used to endure it patiently knowing that Allah (may He be Exalted) is on the side of those who are patient. However, I could not stand being patient any longer. I started to experience a state of mental break-down. I was no longer able to endure my own shadow moving with me wherever I went. I used to restrain myself from treading the path of Satan who would prompt me to commit immoral acts. Now I feel I am not the person I used to be. I fear that Satan may tempt me to commit theft or adultery. I have always hoped to die after a blameless life. Therefore, I would rather commit suicide than do an act that is displeasing to Allah (may He be Exalted). Is it permissible for me to do that? Allah (may He be Praised) knows best that I intend to do this for His sake. Please guide me. May Allah reward and protect you and guide your steps. May His peace, mercy and blessings be upon you. I hope that your reply will be in accordance with the teachings of the Qur'an and Sunnah (whatever is reported from the Prophet).

A: It is not permissible for you to attempt suicide because it is Islamically prohibited and is considered one of the major sins. Allah (may He be Exalted) says:Surah Al-Nisa', 4: 29 And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allâh is Most Merciful to you. It has been authentically narrated that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:

( Part No : 3, Page No: 538)

Verily your blood, your property, and your honour are as sacred and inviolable. The Prophet (peace be upon him) also said: "He who kills himself with something, will be tormented with it on the Day of Resurrection." This Hadith is agreed upon ( narrated by Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

You should know that your preferring to die while not committing an act that displeases Allah (may He be Exalted) is an evil insinuation that is prompted by Satan. You should seek refuge with Allah (may He be Glorified and Exalted) from Satan and supplicate to Him repeatedly so that He may protect you from these evil insinuations. You should be keen on performing acts of worship which bring you closer to Allah (may He be Exalted). You should also avoid violating the prohibitions that He declared and keep yourself aloof from evil company. You should bear with patience whatever befalls you so that perhaps Allah (may He be Exalted) will guide you to the path of truth and protect you from following the path of delusion. May Allah guide us all towards that which is loving and pleasing to Him.

May Allah grant us success and peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family and companions.

Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta
thats why i didnt commite suicide bcoz i didnt wanted to go to hell :embarrass

Eric H
09-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Greetings and peace be with you khalid84;

thats why i didnt commite suicide bcoz i didnt wanted to go to hell
When you encourage and try and help others, then you also help to heal yourself.

Fear of God is the start of Wisdom, and you are now travelling down that road. Searching for a loving, merciful, and forgiving God will help you grow in wisdom.

We are all very special to God, and he has said that he will never place a burden on any of us that is too great. You need faith and trust in God that this is true.

Life is a journey always one day at a time, knowing that our God holds each and every one of us in the palm of his hand.

In the spirit of searching for a loving, merciful and forgiving God

Eric

- IqRa -
09-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Committing Suicide Is Not a Way Out!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.