/* */

PDA

View Full Version : want to translate book from arabic to english

Son Of Wisdom
09-05-2009, 03:53 AM
:sl:
and Ramadan Kareem for all.

Does anyone of you brothers and sisters read before the arabic book "Story of faith , Science, Philosophy and Qur'an" by Nadim al Jisr" ?
is there an english printed translation of this book already?
this is my favorite islamic arabic book and i thought it would be worth if i translate it to english and publish the english version. but i'm not sure if there exists already an english translation of this book.

if not , what are the legal procedures i should do to get permission to translate the book? is it mandatory to get permission from somewhere for translating a given book?
the author of this book sheikh's Nadim al Jisr passed away long time ago.

any advice about this issue would be very welcome.

Ramadan Kareem for all.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
09-06-2009, 06:09 AM
you should call the company that published his book, and see if his next of kin have power of attorney over his affairs.. and of course give acknowledgment in your book..

I have read a couple of books both in Arabic and its translation.. 'The life of Mohammed' I had it in Arabic, I believe it was written by Mohammed hasneen hykal? I no longer have the Arabic version and read it ages ago, then I purchased it a few years ago from Borders in English.. it was stellar.. surprisingly the translator his wife and children were brutally assassinated, and their murderers never brought to justice.. but what a great favor he did to bring such an excellent book to a different audience .. I commend you in advance on your endeavor and wish you the best of luck in it..

Ramadan Mubarak to you

:w:

Hammadjisr
09-06-2009, 09:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Son Of Wisdom
and Ramadan Kareem for all.

Does anyone of you brothers and sisters read before the arabic book "Story of faith , Science, Philosophy and Qur'an" by Nadim al Jisr" ?
is there an english printed translation of this book already?
this is my favorite islamic arabic book and i thought it would be worth if i translate it to english and publish the english version. but i'm not sure if there exists already an english translation of this book.

if not , what are the legal procedures i should do to get permission to translate the book? is it mandatory to get permission from somewhere for translating a given book?
the author of this book sheikh's Nadim al Jisr passed away long time ago.

any advice about this issue would be very welcome.

Ramadan Kareem for all.
Ramadan Mubarak to you all,
I am not actually sure if there is an english translation to this book but I have been told that it was translated to several languages ( i am actually sheik nadim grandson :statisfie). My father and uncles (sheik nadims children) live in tripoli lebanon. We would really be gratefull if you can translate this book into english. I really do not know much about the legal issues though.

Thank you very much for your appreciation of this book. :embarrass

Son Of Wisdom
09-07-2009, 12:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hammadjisr
Ramadan Mubarak to you all,
I am not actually sure if there is an english translation to this book but I have been told that it was translated to several languages ( i am actually sheik nadim grandson :statisfie). My father and uncles (sheik nadims children) live in tripoli lebanon. We would really be gratefull if you can translate this book into english. I really do not know much about the legal issues though.

Thank you very much for your appreciation of this book. :embarrass
bother i'm really very happy to meet one of sheikh Nadim's grandson !
May Allah have mercy of your grand father and reward him for the Great works he did for Islam. May Allah reward him Jannah Inshallah.
Brother ,can you help me gather information on How i can proceed to translate sheikh Nadim's Book into english? I'm really willing to engage in this endeavor if i'm sure my work could be published at the end. Your father's Book is excellent and i thought it should reach the wider audience of English speakers people.

I would be very grateful if you give me some emails or addresses to contact the authorities that could grant me permission to translate sheikh Nadim's Great book.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hammadjisr
09-07-2009, 02:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Son Of Wisdom
bother i'm really very happy to meet one of sheikh Nadim's grandson !
May Allah have mercy of your grand father and reward him for the Great works he did for Islam. May Allah reward him Jannah Inshallah.
Brother ,can you help me gather information on How i can proceed to translate sheikh Nadim's Book into english? I'm really willing to engage in this endeavor if i'm sure my work could be published at the end. Your father's Book is excellent and i thought it should reach the wider audience of English speakers people.

I would be very grateful if you give me some emails or addresses to contact the authorities that could grant me permission to translate sheikh Nadim's Great book.

Thanks you very much. You can contact my cousin he is actually older than me and can help you more. His email is: jisr_nadim85@hotmail.com.
Wish you the best of luck:sl:

Son Of Wisdom
09-07-2009, 09:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
you should call the company that published his book, and see if his next of kin have power of attorney over his affairs.. and of course give acknowledgment in your book..

I have read a couple of books both in Arabic and its translation.. 'The life of Mohammed' I had it in Arabic, I believe it was written by Mohammed hasneen hykal? I no longer have the Arabic version and read it ages ago, then I purchased it a few years ago from Borders in English.. it was stellar.. surprisingly the translator his wife and children were brutally assassinated, and their murderers never brought to justice.. but what a great favor he did to bring such an excellent book to a different audience .. I commend you in advance on your endeavor and wish you the best of luck in it..

Ramadan Mubarak to you

:w:
sorry sister for being late to respond to your message.
I thank you sister for encouraging me for this work i plan to do. and hope Allah would help me do it and finish it in the best possible way. I ask you to pray for me and also for Sheikh Nadim al Jisr May Allah have mercy of his soul.
I recommend everyone knowing Arabic to read the Arabic version of sheikh Nadim's "Story of faith". it's an Excellent Book although requires high concentration and the reader will definitely gain huge knowledge from this Excellent Book.
I also thank Hammad Jisr , grandson of sheikh Nadim , for being so helpful .It was a real joy for me to speak with one of sheikh Nadim's grandsons because i love and respect much this Man . May Allah have mercy of his soul Ameen.

جوري
09-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Jazaka Allah khyran for your acknowledgment..
Insha'Allah I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you endeavor on this amazing project..

Ramadan mubarak

waslaam 3lykoum wr wb

Muhaba
09-07-2009, 11:06 PM
You could contact the book's publisher and ask them about it. I think a book's copyright ends 20 years after the death of the author (not sure about the exact time) after which the book becomes public domain and there is no copyright. Before this time, you need permission of the copyright holder.

Hammadjisr
09-07-2009, 11:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
You could contact the book's publisher and ask them about it. I think a book's copyright ends 20 years after the death of the author (not sure about the exact time) after which the book becomes public domain and there is no copyright. Before this time, you need permission of the copyright holder.

Well, if this is the case you can go in with the translation because sheikh nadim al jisr had died in 1980 29 years ago.

Muhaba
09-08-2009, 06:23 PM
wait , I just checked, it's not 20 years, but 70 years if the copyrightholder was the author. If copyright holder is the publisher, then copyright ends 95 years after date of publication. Best to contact the publisher and ask for permission.

Son Of Wisdom
09-08-2009, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
wait , I just checked, it's not 20 years, but 70 years if the copyrightholder was the author. If copyright holder is the publisher, then copyright ends 95 years after date of publication. Best to contact the publisher and ask for permission.
Thank you sister for helpful information. I have the feeling that this project won't be an easy one. i'll need to spend much time checking the legal issues of translation. i don't want to do illegal work so better be sure everything is right before starting this project. I really want to do this book translation but feel it won't be an easy task imsad

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.