/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Rulings on praise

Rasema
09-07-2009, 11:51 PM
:sl:
What are the rulings on praise?
I've read hadeeths about it but I don't understand them.
Are there interpretations of hadeeths anywhere,a link?

May Allah,subHana wa Ta'ala, reward you for your time.

Shukran

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rasema
09-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Is it forbidden?

IslamicRevival
09-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Salaam sister

Hammam ibn al-Harith reported that a man began to praise 'Uthman and al-Miqdad went and knelt on his knees and began to throw pebbles in his face, 'Uthman said to him, 'What are you doing?' He said, 'The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "When you see praisers, then throw dust in their faces." [Muslim]

Allah Subhanahu wata'lah has revealed his dislike of arrogance in the Holy Qur'an

And make not your cheek crooked while talking to any one and walk not in the earth struttingly. Undoubtedly Allah loves not any arrogant boaster. (31:18)

...Undoubtedly, He likes not the proud ones. (16:23)

RasulAllah PBUH also warned us against arrogance,

"No one will enter paradise who has an atom's weight of arrogance in his heart."

Allah SWT knows best

Al-Hanbali
09-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Wa 'alaykum Salaam,

'Praise' in what sense; someone praising you or you praising someone else ?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rasema
09-08-2009, 07:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saifur-Rahmaan
Wa 'alaykum Salaam,

'Praise' in what sense; someone praising you or you praising someone else ?
:sl:

Both

I guess what the brother said is sufficient. Except when others praise someone and make them even bigger than what they really are and had done.

Would it be wrong to praise others?

What if someone praises you for something you haven't done or put much efford in?
What is arrogance?
Am I arragant,just worried about my self.

syilla
09-09-2009, 07:24 AM
I've been told that we can only praise someone if we know that the other person won't riya' or anything like it.

It is permissible to praise someone in their presence and in their absence. However, in the situation where one is praising a person in his presence, he should not excessively praise him as that may be a means of him becoming vain and proud.

It is narrated on the authority of Miqdaad ibn al-Aswad that Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] said, ‘When you are faced with those people who praise you excessively, then throw sand onto their faces.’ This Hadith refers to those who excessively praise a person or those who praise in order to gain something.

Rasema
09-09-2009, 03:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
I've been told that we can only praise someone if we know that the other person won't riya' or anything like it.
Shukran sister:statisfie

Al-Hanbali
09-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Something we went through in our al-arbaa'een classes, from the first hadeeth on niyyah (intentions), that if people praise a certain individual, and that person feels pleased by it/has a good feeling, then it is not neccessarily tantamount to riyaa (showing-off), since the Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) was once asked; if a man does a good deed and people praise him for it; the Messenger said:

تلك عاجل بشرى المؤمن
"(This praise is) advanced glad tidings [from Allah] for the believer." [Muslim]

Obviously it goes w/o saying, that person shouldn't then feel pride etc & do righteous deeds in future out of riyaa. Otherwise, nothing wrong with it inshaAllaah.

WaAllaahu A'lam!!

Cabdullahi
09-18-2009, 12:13 AM
mashallah the sister is hungry for knowledge

Rasema
09-18-2009, 02:04 AM
And mashAllah that I have brothers and sisters who can feed me with it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.