/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wearing scarf but not full hijab

AnonymousPoster
09-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Alot of girls wear scarf but not full hijab - i.e. they will wear short sleeves or will have their neck showing due to the way the scarf is worn.

I know this is not okay, but is it atleast considered better than no scarf at all, or is the girl no different to someone not wearing a scarf?

I ask because i consider someone wearing a scarf, however they wear it, as being more Islamic, more respectfull (although actions are obviously more important), and like they are atleast trying. But is it considered better this way than not wearing a scarf at all?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
09-09-2009, 01:26 AM
wearing it is of course better then not wearing it

but the obligation of covering up the awrah of the woman is still not met

however its definitly the lesser of the evils

Najm
09-09-2009, 01:34 AM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Proper ettiquette of Hijab = No sin

Anything less = Sin

FiAmaaniAllah

cat eyes
09-09-2009, 01:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
Alot of girls wear scarf but not full hijab - i.e. they will wear short sleeves or will have their neck showing due to the way the scarf is worn.

I know this is not okay, but is it atleast considered better than no scarf at all, or is the girl no different to someone not wearing a scarf?

I ask because i consider someone wearing a scarf, however they wear it, as being more Islamic, more respectfull (although actions are obviously more important), and like they are atleast trying. But is it considered better this way than not wearing a scarf at all?
they are missing the whole point of hijab! hijab has to be worn in a modest way. tell them to read over the hadeeths of our beloved prophet mohammad pbuh inshallaah they will be able to distinguish what way hijab is mean't to be worn.. you probably are aware that non musims wear bandana by using a light scarf also so they can be mistaken to be wearing a bandana as a fashion statement so its very important that we do NOT resemble kufir people. when we dress like kufir, nobody can tell we are muslim or not so really its not a little thing that you can simply ignore. as a muslim we have to be careful what we show to others and what we hide. you are not judging them. but i would advise them to study the hadiths to get a deeper understanding of modesty

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
zakirs
09-09-2009, 05:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fighting4Iman
wearing it is of course better then not wearing it

but the obligation of covering up the awrah of the woman is still not met

however its definitly the lesser of the evils
i think i support this ..

Since something is better than nothing.. :)

abu_musab461
09-09-2009, 05:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
they are missing the whole point of hijab! hijab has to be worn in a modest way. tell them to read over the hadeeths of our beloved prophet mohammad pbuh inshallaah they will be able to distinguish what way hijab is mean't to be worn.. you probably are aware that non musims wear bandana by using a light scarf also so they can be mistaken to be wearing a bandana as a fashion statement so its very important that we do NOT resemble kufir people. when we dress like kufir, nobody can tell we are muslim or not so really its not a little thing that you can simply ignore. as a muslim we have to be careful what we show to others and what we hide. you are not judging them. but i would advise them to study the hadiths to get a deeper understanding of modesty
sooo true!!!!

confused
09-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Salam,
just wearing the scarf is not better - wearing no scarf is better. Why??? im not mad its logic, if a girl wears a scarf, and then wears western clothes with it she is advertising Islam, and that is not a good advertisment of Islam to western people.
but if a girl wears no scarf and western clothes, a khaffir will not know whether she is a Muslim or not therfore Islam will not be portrayed as being a "half" religion as it is not, full devotion or none at all please.
JZK

M..x
09-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Salaam. If you ever wear it, wear it properly InshAllah. What is the point of wearing it if tha fardh of hijaab is not met i.e covering of the awrah. I find it really sad to sisters wearing the hijaab like this, like some sort of fashion statement. What kind of message is it giving to other sisters who are contemplating wearing it themselves? Like its okay to wear it like that or something. When it clearly isn't. & Tbh gurls whu wear it REALLY inappropriately are portraying a false and disgraceful image of Muslims & giving them another reason to mock and laugh at us. If you du sumet in tha way of Allah, du it properly. Like when someone gives you haram muney (obtained through ribaa/drugs whatever), you du tha good deed of rejecting it, you dont say 'I'll take a bit and return tha rest', & likewise with tha hijaab, you dont say 'I'll put a coth over my ehad buh show my chest and arms and thing'... Like whats tha point?
Sorry for wafflig got strong views on this kinda thing =P. Hope Allah gives tha sisters guidence =D X

S_87
09-09-2009, 06:04 PM
what would be the point? Ive seen sister wear hijab wear the scarf is on but all arms are showing and they have mid-length skirts/skinny jeans so you can see legs..the arms and legs are just as much awrah as the hair..so if you cover the hair but show your body-not hijab and if you cover your body but not your head-not hijab.

hijab is not just the headscarf

Najm
09-09-2009, 06:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zakirs
i think i support this ..

Since something is better than nothing.. :)

Completely disagree. Islam is not about give or take. What is halal is halal, and what is haram is haram. Hijab is not just a scarf. For the women the hijab is covering their awruh, which everything except their hands and face.

Our Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi WaSalam) was tested when Quraish tried to compromise, and Allah revealed....

"They wish that you should compromise (in religion out of courtesy) with them, so they (too) would compromise with you. And (O Muhammad SAW) obey you not everyone Hallaf Mahin (the one who swears much, and is a liar or is worthless). [68:9-10]
FiAmaaniAllah

Cabdullahi
09-09-2009, 06:22 PM
i think some sister's are stuck between choosing to dress modestly which is looked down upon in the west but is part of the islamic faith and choosing to dress in a modernised fashion to be accepted more in society
the by-product of that leads to the half and half mix..styles that are in tune with latest 'eeew' fashion and a small see through hijab but not always so, to retain somewhat of the islamic modesty

inshallah we all are guided to the right path ameen

Sari
09-09-2009, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by confused
Salam,
just wearing the scarf is not better - wearing no scarf is better. Why??? im not mad its logic, if a girl wears a scarf, and then wears western clothes with it she is advertising Islam, and that is not a good advertisment of Islam to western people.
but if a girl wears no scarf and western clothes, a khaffir will not know whether she is a Muslim or not therfore Islam will not be portrayed as being a "half" religion as it is not, full devotion or none at all please.
JZK
I know what you meant to say but wearing "western clothes" itself is not bad, you can wear western clothes and fulfil the requirements of hijab. A long skirt, long sleeves, high neck etc and not tight fitting.

I think people who wear only the scarf, while not in proper hijab, are atleast closer to it than people who don't wear it at all, and who later in life may take longer to achieve full hijab.

zakirs
09-09-2009, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm

Completely disagree. Islam is not about give or take. What is halal is halal, and what is haram is haram. Hijab is not just a scarf. For the women the hijab is covering their awruh, which everything except their hands and face.

Our Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi WaSalam) was tested when Quraish tried to compromise, and Allah revealed....

"They wish that you should compromise (in religion out of courtesy) with them, so they (too) would compromise with you. And (O Muhammad SAW) obey you not everyone Hallaf Mahin (the one who swears much, and is a liar or is worthless). [68:9-10]
FiAmaaniAllah
yes bro i accept your point.. but shouldn't we be starting slowly . Indeed scarf is not the permanent solution but we should take into account the persons fears and so on..

glo
09-09-2009, 08:45 PM
I have observed many of the Pakistani muslimahs in our community to wear a scarf loosly draped around their heads. I always wonder about that, because the scarf seems to move all the time, and requires endless adjustments.

The Muslimah social worker in our office wears her hijab wrapped and pinned in place - that seems much more practical and stays in place perfectly.

Pk_#2
09-09-2009, 08:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I have observed many of the Pakistani muslimahs in our community to wear a scarf loosly draped around their heads. I always wonder about that, because the scarf seems to move all the time, and requires endless adjustments.

The Muslimah social worker in our office wears her hijab wrapped and pinned in place - that seems much more practical and stays in place perfectly.
Hmm...:statisfie

The Muslimah social worker is cooteness!
The Pakistani Muslimahs in ur community are...getting there :p

glo
09-09-2009, 08:50 PM
My social work colleague has shown me how to wear the perfect hijab! :)

Pk_#2
09-09-2009, 08:54 PM
My social work colleague has shown me how to wear the perfect hijab! :)
She sounds like a really nice person to work with, you're lucky to be around nice people,

So do you wear a hijab now? Or you were just trying? You can knit one if you like, works wonders in the winter :p

glo
09-09-2009, 09:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pk_#2
She sounds like a really nice person to work with, you're lucky to be around nice people,

So do you wear a hijab now? Or you were just trying? You can knit one if you like, works wonders in the winter :p
No, I don't wear hijab ... I only did when I visited the local masjid together with my church.

Wearing hijab made my head feel very hot indeed ... so I don't think I will need to knit one ... :D

Sari
09-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Yes many Pakistanis wear their scarf in that manner, it is also often see through. Unfortunately within SOME Pakistani communities and families culture has overtaken their religious perspective.

These cultural practices applies to all other ethnicities too ofcourse, but this specific problem is one you see in Pakistanis.

S_87
09-09-2009, 11:25 PM

if its a long rectangular scarf generally see through and matching the dress they are wearing then this is a 'dupatta' and generally more cultural than religious..

IbnAbdulHakim
09-09-2009, 11:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm

FiAmaaniAllah

talk about going off a tangent and misunderstanding the topic completely...

^ she asked whats better - no headscarf or headscarf - and i said whilst it doesnt fulfil the requirements of hijaab (covering the awrah) it most certainly is better then flaunting the hair completely as its LESSER OF TWO EVILS (ie less sin then not covering hair but still sin !)

hope thats clear now inshAllaah :)

Assalamu Alaikum

Najm
09-10-2009, 05:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fighting4Iman
talk about going off a tangent and misunderstanding the topic completely...

^ she asked whats better - no headscarf or headscarf - and i said whilst it doesnt fulfil the requirements of hijaab (covering the awrah) it most certainly is better then flaunting the hair completely as its LESSER OF TWO EVILS (ie less sin then not covering hair but still sin !)

hope thats clear now inshAllaah :)

Assalamu Alaikum

Tangent, hmmm i did that at A levels, anways inshaAllah try reading it again.

To her question.............well my answer/post still remains the same, there is no compromise when it comes to halal and haram.

So in short, its NEITHER, as NEITHER fufill the requirements, and NEITHER should be chosen as an answer.

FiAmaaniAllah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.