PDA

View Full Version : I'tikaaf

al Amaanah
09-10-2009, 01:28 AM
:salamext:

What is the ruling on i’tikaaf?

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

I’tikaaf is prescribed according to the Qur’aan and Sunnah and scholarly consensus.

In the Qur’aan, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and We commanded Ibraaheem (Abraham) and Ismaa’eel (Ishmael) that they should purify My House (the Ka‘bah at Makkah) for those who are circumambulating it, or staying (I’tikaaf), or bowing or prostrating themselves (there, in prayer)”

[al Baqarah 2:125]

“And do not have sexual relations with them (your wives) while you are in I‘tikaaf (i.e. confining oneself in a mosque for prayers and invocations leaving the worldly activities) in the mosques”

[al Baqarah 2:187]

With regard to the Sunnah, there are many ahaadeeth, such as the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah (radiAllaho 3anhaa) who said that the Prophet (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) used to observe i'tikaaf during the last ten days of Ramadaan until Allaah took his soul, then his wives observed i’tikaaf after he was gone. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2026; Muslim, 1172.

With regard to scholarly consensus, more than one of the scholars narrated that there was scholarly consensus that i’tikaaf is prescribed in sharee’ah, such as al Nawawi, Ibn Qudaamah, Shaykh al Islam Ibn Taymiyah, and others.

See al-Majmoo’, 6/404; al-Mughni, 4/456; Sharh al-‘Umdah, 2/711.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 15/437:

Undoubtedly i’tikaaf in the mosque is an act of worship, and (observing it) in Ramadaan is better than at other times. It is prescribed in Ramadaan and at other times.

Secondly:

The ruling on i’tikaaf

The basic principle is that i’tikaaf is Sunnah, not obligatory, unless one made a vow to do it, in which case it becomes obligatory, because the Prophet (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) said: “Whoever vows to obey Allaah, let him obey Him, and whoever vows to disobey Him, let him not disobey Him.” Narrated by al Bukhaari, 6696.

And ‘Umar (radiAllaho 3anh) said: “O Messenger of Allaah, during the Jaahiliyyah I vowed to observe i’tikaaf for one night in al Masjid al Haraam.” He said: “Fulfil your vow.” (6697).

Ibn al Mundhir said in his book al-Ijmaa’ (p. 53):

They were unanimously agreed that i’tikaaf is Sunnah and is not obligatory unless a man obliges himself to do that by making a vow, in which case it becomes obligatory for him.

See Fiqh al I’tikaaf by Dr Khaalid al-Mushayqih, p. 31.

IslamQA
What is the reward for i’tikaaf?

Praise be to Allaah.

I’tikaaf is prescribed in Islam and it is an act of worship that draws one closer to Allaah.

Once this is established, there are many ahaadeeth which encourage us to draw closer to Allaah by doing naafil acts of worship. The general meaning of these ahaadeeth includes all kinds of worship, including i’tikaaf.

For example, there is the hadeeth qudsi in which Allaah says: “My servant draws not near to Me with anything more loved by Me than the religious duties I have enjoined upon him, and My servant continues to draw near to Me with supererogatory works so that I shall love him. When I love him I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask [something] of Me, I would surely give it to him, and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it.” Narrated by al Bukhaari, 6502.

Secondly:

There are several ahaadeeth which speak of the virtue of i’tikaaf and describe its reward, but they are all weak (da’eef) or fabricated (mawdoo’).

Abu Dawood said: I said to Ahmad (i.e., Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal): Do you know anything about the virtue of i’tikaaf? He said: No, except something weak. Masaa’il Abi Dawood, p. 96.

These ahaadeeth include the following:

1 – Ibn Maajah (1781) narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas that the Messenger of Allaah (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) said concerning the person who observes i’tikaaf: “He is refraining from sin and he will be given a reward like that of one who does all kinds of good deeds.” This was classed as da’eef by al Albaani in Da’eef Ibn Maajah.

2 – al Tabaraani, al Haakim and al Bayhaqi narrated the following from Ibn ‘Abbaas, which they classed as da’eef: The Messenger of Allaah (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) said: “Whoever observes i’tikaaf for one day seeking thereby the Face of Allaah, Allaah will place between him and the Fire three ditches wider than the distance between the east and the west.” This was classed as da’eef by al Albaani in al Silsilah alDa’eefah, 5345.

3 – al Daylami narrated from ‘Aa’ishah that the Prophet (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) said: “Whoever observes i’tikaaf out of faith and in the hope of reward will be forgiven his previous sins.” Classed as da’eef by al Albaani in Da’eef al Jaami’, 5442.

4 – Al Bayhaqi narrated the following report from al-Husayn ibn ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him), which he classed as da’eef: the Messenger of Allaah (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) said: “Whoever observes i’tikaaf for ten days in Ramadaan, that will be equivalent to two Hajjs and two ‘Umrahs. This was mentioned by al Albaani in al Silsilah al Da’eefah (518) where he said: it is mawdoo’ (fabricated).

IslamQA
Conditions of I’tikaaf

Praise be to Allaah.

It is prescribed to observe i’tikaaf in a mosque in which prayers in congregation are held. If the mu’takif is one of those for whom Jumu’ah is obligatory and the period of his i’tikaaf will include a Friday, it is better for him to stay in a mosque where Jumu’ah prayer is observed.

It is not a condition for him or her to be fasting.

The Sunnah is for the mu’takif not to visit any sick person during his i'tikaaf, or to accept any invitation, attend to his family’s needs, attend any funeral or go to work outside the mosque, because it was proven that ‘Aa’ishah (radiAllaho 3anhaa) said: “The Sunnah for the mu’takif is not to visit any sick person, or attend any funeral, or touch or be intimate with any woman, or go out for any reason except those which cannot be avoided.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 2473.

Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas, Fataawa al-Lajnah, 10/410
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
al Amaanah
09-11-2009, 04:29 AM

Can women sit for I'tikaaf in a mosque in the last ten days of Ramadan?

Praise be to Allaah.

Yes, it is permissible for a woman to observe i’tikaaf in the mosque during the last ten days of Ramadaan.

Indeed, i'tikaaf is Sunnah for both men and women, and the Mothers of the Believers (may Allaah be pleased with them [i.e., the wives of the Prophet (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam)] used to observe i’tikaaf with the Prophet (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) during his lifetime, and after he passed away.

Al Bukhaari (2026) and Muslim (1172) narrated from ‘Aa’ishah (radiAllaho 3anhaa), the wife of the Prophet salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam), that the Prophet (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) used to spend the last ten nights of Ramadaan in i'tikaaf until he passed away, then his wives observed i'tikaaf after he died.

It says in ‘Awn al Ma’bood:

This indicates that women are the same as men when it comes to i'tikaaf.

Shaykh ‘Abd al ‘Azeez ibn Baaz (ra7imahullah) said:

I’tikaaf is Sunnah for both men and women, because it was proven that the Prophet (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) used to observe i'tikaaf during Ramadaan, and finally he settled on i'tikaaf during the last ten days, and some of his wives used to observe i'tikaaf with him, then they observed i’tikaaf after he died. The place for i’tikaaf is the mosque in which prayers in congregation are performed.

From the internet website of Shaykh Ibn Baaz.

And Allaah knows best.

IslamQA

Nora.
09-11-2009, 04:36 AM
Thank you very much Ukhti :)

May allah reward you

جزاك الباري جناته

al Amaanah
09-11-2009, 05:17 AM

^ Allahomma ameen, wa iyyaaki ukht. : )

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
al Amaanah
09-11-2009, 07:04 AM

Why have the Muslims forsaken i’tikaaf, even though it is the Sunnah of the Prophet (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam)? What is the purpose of i’tikaaf?

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

I’tikaaf is one of the confirmed Sunnahs which the Prophet (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) did regularly.

See the evidence for its being prescribed in the answer to question no. 48999.

This Sunnah has disappeared from the lives of the Muslims apart from those on whom Allaah has mercy. It is like many Sunnahs which the Muslims have virtually forsaken.

There are several reasons for this, including the following:

1- Weakness of faith in many hearts

2- Increased focus on worldly pleasures and desires, which leads to an inability to keep away from them even for a short time.

3- Lack on interest in Paradise on the part of many, and their inclination towards leisure and relaxation, so that they do not want to put up with the hardship of i’tikaaf even for the sake of earning Allaah’s pleasure.

Whoever understands the significance of Paradise and the greatness of its delights will sacrifice his life and that which is most precious to him in order to attain it. The Prophet salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) said: “The reward of Allaah is precious, the reward of Allaah is Paradise.” Narrated by al Tirmidhi and classed as saheeh by al Albaani, 2450.

4- Many people pay lip-service to the love of the Prophet (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam), without acting upon it and implementing various aspects of the Sunnah, including i’tikaaf. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Indeed in the Messenger of Allaah (Muhammad) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes for (the Meeting with) Allaah and the Last Day, and remembers Allaah much”

[al Ahzaab 33:21]

Ibn Katheer said (3/756):

This verse represents a major principle: that we should follow the example of the Messenger of Allaah (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) in word and deed in all situations.

Some of the salaf (early generations of Islam) found it odd that people did not observe i’tikaaf even the Prophet (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) persisted in doing so. Ibn Shihaab al Zuhri said: It is strange that the Muslims have given up i’tikaaf when the Prophet (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) did not give it up from the time he entered Madeenah until Allaah took him (in death).

Secondly:

The i’tikaaf which the Prophet (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) always observed at the end of his life is i’tikaaf during the last ten days of Ramadaan. These few days may indeed be regarded as an intensive course of spiritual education which brings immediate positive results in a person’s life during the days and nights of Ramadaan and in the coming days, until the next Ramadaan comes.

How great is the Muslims’ need to revive this Sunnah and establish it in the proper manner, as the Messenger of Allaah (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) and his companions used to observe it.

How great will be the success of those who adhere to the Sunnah after the ummah has neglected it and become corrupt.

Thirdly:

The basic goal of the Prophet’s i’tikaaf was to seek Laylat al Qadr.

Muslim (1167) narrated that Abu Sa’eed al Khudri (radiAllaho 3anh) said: The Messenger of Allaah (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) observed i’tikaaf during the first ten days of Ramadaan, then he observed i’tikaaf during the middle ten days in a small tent at the door of which was a reed mat. He took the mat in his hand and lifted it. Then he put his head out and spoke to the people, and they came close to him. He said: “I observed i’tikaaf during the first ten days seeking this night, then I observed i’tikaaf during the middle ten days. Then someone came and said to me that it is in the last ten days, so whoever among you wishes to observe i’tikaaf let him do so.” So the people observed i’tikaaf with him.

This hadeeth teaches us a number of things:

1- That the basic goal of the i’tikaaf of the Prophet (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) was to seek Laylat al Qadr and to prepare to spend that night in worship. That is because of the great virtue of that night of which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “The Night of Al Qadr (Decree) is better than a thousand months (i.e. worshipping Allaah in that night is better than worshipping Him a thousand months, i.e. 83 years and 4 months)” [al Qadr 97:3].

2- The Prophet (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) strove to seek that night before he was told when it is. So he started with the first ten days, then he observed it during the middle ten, then he continued to observe i'tikaaf during the last ten days, when he was told that it is in the last ten days. This is the utmost effort to seek Laylat al Qadr.

3- The Sahaabah (radiAllaho 3anhumaa) followed the Messenger of Allaah (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam), because they started i’tikaaf and continued with him until the end of the month, because they were so keen to follow his example.

4- The Messenger of Allaah (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) was compassionate towards his companions and showed mercy to them, because he knew that i’tikaaf was difficult for them. So he gave them the choice between staying with him or of leaving, and said: “…so whoever among you wishes to observe i’tikaaf let him do so.”

There are other aims of i’tikaaf as well, including the following:

1- Being alone with Allaah and cutting oneself off from people if possible, so that one may focus completely on Allaah.

2- Renewing oneself spiritual by focusing totally on Allaah.

3- Cutting oneself off completely in order to worship Allaah with prayer, du’aa’, dhikr and reading Qur’aan.

4- Protecting one’s fast from everything that may affect it of whims and desires.

5- Reducing permissible worldly pleasures and refraining from many of them even though one is able to enjoy them.

See al I’tikaaf Nazrah Tarbawiyyah by Dr. ‘Abd al Lateef Balto.

IslamQA

Beardo
09-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Jazakumullah for sharing. Unfortunately, the masjid where I lead could not find anyone to do the I'tikaaf. Though, it's more of a Musallah actually...

al Amaanah
09-11-2009, 07:22 AM

Is it permissible for one who is observing i’tikaaf to go out of the mosque?

I would like to know how i’tikaaf is to be done in the mosque during the last ten days of Ramadaan, noting that I work and my work finishes at 2 p.m. Do I have to stay in the mosque all the time?

Praise be to Allaah.

If the mu’takif (person observing i’tikaaf) goes out of the mosque, his i’tikaaf is invalidated, because i’tikaaf means staying in the mosque to worship Allaah.

That applies unless the mu’takif goes out for an unavoidable reason, such as to relieve himself, to do wudoo’ or ghusl, or to bring food if he does not have anyone to bring food to the mosque for him, and other similar matters which cannot be avoided and which cannot be done in the mosque.

Al Bukhaari (2092) and Muslim (297) narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (radiAllaho 3anhaa) said: The Messenger of Allaah (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) used not to enter the house except for things that a person needs when he was observing i’tikaaf.

Ibn Qudaamah (ra7imahullah) said in al Mughni (4/466):

What is meant by things that a person needs is to urinate and defecate, because every person need to do that. Similarly, he also needs to eat and drink. If he does not have anyone who can bring him food and drink, then he may go out to get them if he needs to. For everything that he cannot do without and cannot do in the mosque, he may go out for that purpose, and that does not invalidate his i’tikaaf, so long as he does not take a long time doing it.

If the mu’takif goes out to do his work, this is something that invalidates i’tikaaf.

The Standing Committee was asked:

Is it permissible for the mu’takif to visit someone who is sick or to accept an invitation or to attend to his family’s needs or to attend a funeral or to go to work?

They replied:

The Sunnah is that the mu’takif should not visit one who is sick during his i’tikaaf, or accept any invitation, or attend to his family’s needs, or attend any funeral, or go to work outside the mosque, because it was proven that ‘Aa’ishah (radiAllaho 3anhaa) said: “The Sunnah is for the mu’takif not to visit any sick person, or attend any funeral, or touch his wife or be intimate with her, or to go out for any purpose except those which cannot be avoided.”

Narrated by Abu Dawood, 2473.

Fataawa al Lajnah al Daa’imah, 10/410.

IslamQA

syilla
09-11-2009, 07:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Jazakumullah for sharing. Unfortunately, the masjid where I lead could not find anyone to do the I'tikaaf. Though, it's more of a Musallah actually...
No one? does the masjid has a community? i mean like a volunteer or something like it? You can always create a timetable flyer and send it to the muslims around the area.

The masjid infront of my house even do the sahr... (they collect money from everyone the area) :D

al Amaanah
09-11-2009, 07:34 AM

^ ameen, wa iyyaaka akh.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.