/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Not being able to pray in Ramadhan

Sari
09-10-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm really dreading not being able to pray in the last week or so of Ramadhan. Not being able to fast, read salaat or read Quran leaves you feeling pretty useless and bad. I know i can pray tasbeeh but i pray tasbeeh all the time on the go, it doesn't seem enough as a proper form of devoted worship and it's not going to fill my time properly the way salaat and Quran does.

What else can i do?

I'm sorry I can't post this in the sisters section due to low post count.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nora.
09-11-2009, 02:24 AM
السلام عليكم :)

Not being able to fast, read salaat or read Quran
you can recite Quran but be careful don't touch it .. put it on the table :) that's what we always do .

With regard to the menstruating woman reading Qur’aan, if she is looking at it or thinking of it in her heart, without speaking the words out loud, there is nothing wrong with that, such as if the Mus-haf is placed there, and she looks at the verses and reads them in her heart. Al-Nawawi said in Sharh Muslim: it is permissible and there is no difference of scholarly opinion on this point.

But if she is reciting it out loud, the majority of scholars are of the view that this is not allowed.

Al-Bukhaari, Ibn Jareer, al-Tabari and Ibn al-Mundhir said it is permissible, and this was also narrated from Maalik and from al-Shaafa’i in his former view. That was narrated from them in Fath al-Baari. And al-Bukhaari narrated in a mu’allaq report from Ibraheem al-Nakha’i that there is nothing wrong with her reciting a verse.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said in al-Fataawa: There is no report saying that she should not read Qur’aan. The hadeeth “No menstruating woman or person who is junub should recite anything from the Qur’aan” is a weak hadeeth, according to the consensus of the scholars who are well-versed in hadeeth. Women used to menstruate at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and if reading was haraam for them as prayer is, this would have been something that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained to his ummah and the Mothers of the Believers would have known that, and it would have been something that they told to the people. But since no one narrated any prohibition concerning that from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), it is not permissible to regard it as haraam, since it is known that he did not forbid that, and as he did not forbid that despite the fact that menstruation was widespread at his time, it is known that it is not haraam. End quote.

Since we know that there is a difference of opinion among the scholars concerning this, what should be said is: it is better for a menstruating woman not to recite Qur'aan out loud except when there is need for that, such as if she is a teacher and she needs to teach her students, or in the case of an exam when the student needs to recite in order to be tested, and so on.
the whole fatwa

and you can also listen to lectures ,dhikr, takbeer, saying Subhaan-Allaah, praising Allaah, saying Bismillaah when eating and so on, and reading hadeeth, fiqh and du’aa’s, or saying Ameen to du’aa’s, and listening to Qur’aan, none of these things are forbidden

Proud of Islam
09-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Don't be sad, sis.. All females are the same, but we still have ways to have rewards, as what Nora mentioned..

format_quote Originally Posted by Nora.
you can recite Quran but be careful don't touch it .. put it on the table :)
Or she can read the Quran electronically from the computer :sunny:

Your relation with Allah shouldn't stop at any time.. You are always able to raise your hands and make dua'a.. If you used to pray night prayers, you can still wake up at night to say Athkar (Remembrances) & make dua'as from heart..

----------------------------------------------------------------

Longing for the Paradise (Al-Jannah) where the endless happiness…

Sari
09-11-2009, 08:03 PM
It would be quite awkward to get the Quran and somehow place it and handle the pages without touching it, so i will avoid doing that. If someone worse gloves or used a cloth then would that be counted as not touching? I have a teeny tiny book which has Yaseen and Surah Mulk in it, which i suppose i could handle more easily without touching directly. Although praying without moving your lips does feel quite weak and like you're not praying properly.

I know i can still make dua and do zikr, it just feels like i won't have much focus to the days and especially in the last 10 days when lalatul Qadr is.
Am i right in thinking i can touch all other kitabs and read all other duas?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nora.
09-12-2009, 02:02 AM
yes you can wear gloves or use cloth in order to not touch the Quran ..

In Saheeh-ul-Bukhaaree, from a hadeeth of Aboo Moosaa, that the Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu'alaihiwasallam said:

ýIf an ýabd (slave of Allaah) is ill or upon a journey, Allaah the Exalted writes for him the reward for the like of that which he used to do when healthy or as a residentý

And menstruation is an illness and preventer which stops the one who has it from doing that which she would normally do while well. So when it comes to her and she has a surplus of acts of worship and has the habit of performing acts of obedience, menstruation does not prevent her from attaining them - indeed for her is the reward the like of that which she used to do while she was well.

Do not be upset for the Messenger sallallaahu'alaihiwasallam made clear to his Companions while they were performing jihaad, that he who was desiring to perform jihaad with a sincere intention for this, and nothing prevented him except for a genuine excuse, then indeed for him is reward the like of those who went out for jihad, without any difference. For Al-Bukhaaree reports from a hadeeth of Anas that that the Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu'alaihiwasallam said:

ýIndeed in Madeenah there are some men, you do not traverse a valley nor pass along a path, except that they share with you in the reward. They were prevented by a genuine excuse.

to answer the second question .:
yes you can read any books and Dua'a ..even The explanation of the Quran you don't have to wear gloves..

and also According to a very direct and explicit hadeeth about what we should do on the Night of al-Qadr:

'Aa'ishah asked, "O Messenger of Allaah, what do I do if I catch Laylat al-Qadr?"

He said, "Say: O Allaah, you are 'Afuww (All-Pardoning), and you love to pardon, so pardon me."

Hope that be clear to you :)

Don't forget me from your Dua'a

Your sister in Islam ,
Nora

S_87
09-12-2009, 10:47 AM
where does it say u can wear gloves and touch? i always thought you couldnt...?

sister sari, totally know what you mean, definitely not the same

Muslim Woman
09-12-2009, 11:39 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Sari
I'm really dreading not being able to pray in the last week or so of Ramadhan. .
useful links:

..the point is not that women are "not allowed to" pray and fast but are rather exempted from observing prayer and fasting at such times, because such two duties are difficult and demand much effort.

In this regard, we should bear in mind that one of the basic goals of Islamic Shari`ah is to remove harm and difficulty from people's lives. The many texts of the Qur'an and Sunnah serve as a support for this, giving one clear message that Almighty Allah does not intend to place any difficulty on the shoulders of His servants.
This has led many Muslim scholars to reach a very great maxim that summarizes a lot of things in this regard; it goes, "difficulty brings ease," meaning that when a person is experiencing anything difficult, Islam will give him some concessions that make life easy for him.
Under this maxim, we can understand why a traveler is exempted from fasting, why a sick person is allowed not to fast, why a handicapped person is allowed to observe prayer while sitting down, and why a pregnant woman or a woman who is breast-feeding is entitled to break her fasting. All this is meant to remove hardship and difficulty away from people, because this is one of the highest objectives of Islam.
Another important point to be highlighted here is that, while experiencing their menses, women are exempted from fasting and prayer only, but still, they can observe other forms of worship like remembrance of Allah and making du`aa' (supplication.)
http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/...AskAboutIslamE

God Wants Ease for You

Keeping Connection with God During Menstruation

..... Islam does not ask the Muslim woman to give up her spiritualities or pursuit of Islamic knowledge during this time either. While it is true that she cannot perform ritual prayers, Tawaf (circumambulation of the Ka`bah) and fasting; however, she is not prohibited from listening to tapes of the Qur'an, or from listening to someone else recite it.

She may even recite the verses to herself silently. She can still pray, through du`aa’ (supplication), and can still repeat the praises of Allah Almighty (perform dhikr during this time as well. There is also nothing to stop her from reading Islamic texts outside of the Qur'an, including hadith.

These are some means by which you can keep the connection with Allah Almighty and I'm quite sure that you are to find other means. You just need to believe that the menstruation is a means by which a Muslim woman is to gain rewards from Allah Almighty

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/...AskAboutIslamE

Misz_Muslimah
09-12-2009, 12:08 PM
I prefer using this website where it looks like a proper quran but online
http://www.reciter.org/

Hope you find it useful :)

Bub
09-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Im confused bec my mother says im allowed touch Qur'Ran but its translate in english thou as i do not know arabic

Rabi'ya
09-12-2009, 12:35 PM
:sl:

I was under the impression from previous threads similar to this that so long as it is not the pure Quraan in its entirety then it is permissible to touch it. Lik I have Juz Amma in a seperate book and I still read that at the times when I cannot touch Quraan. I also have surah Yasin and other extracts from the Quraan. Sometimes if I am with my husband and I want to read other parts of the Quraan at time when it is not permissible to touch it, he will open the page for me, then i call him to turn the page. lol. its work alhamdulillah.

Alternatively I read online, and I have a lot of Quraan on my phone which I can listen to and read along with.

Sis, its not like we absolutely CANNOT touch or read Quraan at that tim of month. there are plenty of options available to us. Look on the bright side :)

I pray inshAllah you won;t feel bad and will find ways to feel at ease inshAllah.

PS - and with regards to sister Sari's post, The only thing I have heard is that if yo NEED(and i stress need) to move the quraan from one palce to another and you are during that time of month then one can wrap the Quraan in a cloth so as not to touch it. or wear gloves for this purpose but isn't this only when touching the cover of the Quraan, not the inside pages? Hope someone can clarify inshAllah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.