/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Advertisements

Beardo
09-12-2009, 01:04 AM
Please be warned... We will within the next few days begin hosting advertisements on every page after every first post. This is in additon to the current top-and-bottom advertisements.

It definitely is a bit upsetting to put up Adverts everywhere, because it makes the site look like a sell-out. On the other hand, it's the only way to pay the monthly fee of $170.

I hope nobody raises an objection to this! If you don't now, I'm pretty sure someone will once the additional adverts get placed. It's doesn't look too pretty. lol...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Beardo
09-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Bump. I'm really sorry, I didn't receive any response from you guys, but I have to implement the new advert spaces today... imsad I don't want it anymore than you do, but this is required, unfortunately. I hope none of you mind.

kashmirshazad
09-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Nah, youre alright, as long as we an win some prizes.

Rabi'ya
09-14-2009, 01:09 PM
:sl:

I dont see any adverts on my pages AT ALL at the moment. not even on the main forum page. inshAllah it wont affect me. or is that wishful thinking :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Beardo
09-14-2009, 01:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya

I dont see any adverts on my pages AT ALL at the moment. not even on the main forum page. inshAllah it wont affect me. or is that wishful thinking :)
It's just wishful thinking lol.

I haven't put it up yet. There'll be three Ads on EVERY page. One on the top, and two between posts. imsad it'll look ugly and make our site look like a sell out. But we have no choice. It's not our fault webservers are fairly new and therefore are still so expensive. :exhausted

Rabi'ya
09-14-2009, 01:22 PM

well as long as they are beneficial ads then no probs :) I mean nothing haraam :)

Danah
09-22-2009, 02:19 PM

I have noticed that lately we had this google ads banner at the top of the forum page.

Well, this list is always keep updating in an automatic way, and I dont think that there is a reliable way to control what kind of ads to show.
I did notice that there are some sites are not proper to be promoted in an Islamic forum like those sites of dating women from your own country ^o)

Do we really need that? I know Google ads pays to the forum for hosting the ads here, but still......:><:

What do you think?

Al-Yasa
09-22-2009, 06:05 PM
its not hurting us

Nájlá
09-22-2009, 06:07 PM
There annoying us though^ :X

Ramadhan
09-22-2009, 06:23 PM
I haven't really noticed them until this was brought up, which means they are not intrusive at all.
Currently it advertises a free islamic jobsite which is probably useful for some people but not intrusive for other at the same time.
I don't see any problem with it at all.

Danah
09-22-2009, 06:43 PM
The ads are not fixed, the list keep refreshing all the time and show any kind of Islamic sites according to the user country
Don't you see any sites for dating women or chatting in your lists??

Güven
09-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Use adblock-plus. You'll never be bothered by them again.

Beardo
09-22-2009, 07:06 PM
I only read the title of this thread, and it should suffice to say that I do not run the adverts. There is a committee running that portion of the site, and the contract is signed. We can release ourselves from the contract anytime, but it'll also mean releasing ourselves from the forum. Unless you have a beter alternative, that is...

Najm
09-22-2009, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
I only read the title of this thread, and it should suffice to say that I do not run the adverts. There is a committee running that portion of the site, and the contract is signed. We can release ourselves from the contract anytime, but it'll also mean releasing ourselves from the forum. Unless you have a beter alternative, that is...
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Yes, release the contract and keep the forum:embarrass

FiAmaaniAllah

Rabi'ya
09-22-2009, 07:37 PM
I have no ads on my page when i log in :?

Najm
09-22-2009, 07:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
Use adblock-plus. You'll never be bothered by them again.

Great! I have installed it! Now what do i do :S

FiAmaaniAllah

Danah
09-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Its up to you brother, its something that I found annoying to be in an Islamic forum (dating Muslim girls ^o)) well, maybe some find it okay I just thought it was my duty to point out to that, nvm :hmm:

format_quote Originally Posted by Najm

same here brother Guven, how to activate it? I run it and restart the firefox as it asked me to do....but still the ads are there!

GuestFellow
09-22-2009, 09:19 PM
What ads? I don't see any...

Güven
09-22-2009, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah

same here brother Guven, how to activate it? I run it and restart the firefox as it asked me to do....but still the ads are there!

do you see that red thing with ABP on it , on the upper right corner?

click on it and switch it on.

or just watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNvb2SjVjjI

Danah
09-22-2009, 09:31 PM
^ yes yes I just figured that out now before reading ur post I will restart the browser now to see if I will get them again or not

Jazak Allah khair

AabiruSabeel
09-23-2009, 03:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm
Alternatively, you can also right click on the ads/images and select Block images from... or Adblock Plus: Block image... and select the appropriate filter.

But if we all keep blocking the ads here, would it not affect the revenue for IB?

Najm
09-23-2009, 07:50 PM

JazakiAllah Khair!!!! It works, wow amazing :statisfie

FiAmaaniAllah

Beardo
10-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Well, the advertisements we currently have (one on the top, one on the bottom) is permanant.

However, for those who have been on the forum long enough, are the big black Radio Banners I put up a nuisance or helpful? Do they make you aware of the events, or should I keep them off?

The forum definitely looks cleaner without them in my opinion. :X But at the same time, it's more important for the word to get out... But if at the same time it's making you guys annoyed, I won't put it up anymore.

Another option I have is to make a DISMISSABLE advertisement. So you can click the button and it'll disappear.

Danah
10-28-2009, 02:32 PM
^^ subhanAllah!! this is reminding me of the thread I started about the google ads and how some of them are un-islamic! good that you reconsider that issue brother

I am using the ads blocker that bro Guven suggested in that thread, and I dont see them anymore now

Beardo
10-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Yeah, well, that issue is resolved now though.

By the way, for those who are concerned that blocking adverts will decrease the amount of money we get... Do not worry! Ads are not calculated by the amount of clicks. If the advert appeals to you, go ahead. If not, leave it!

I think I might have mentioned more details in the past as to how the system works but thats about all the information I'm willing to give out.

I'm considering making the treasury viewable to all, but considering that this site is privately owned and we do not accept donations, I suppose it's not necessary.

One thing I am trying to work towards is to make this site owner-less. Owned by the members, for the members, from the members.

Just don't know how to implement that just yet though.

Re.TiReD
11-14-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm sorry but the googles ads after the opening/first posts are really annoying me :><: I'm never ever gonna click on them, they're that annoying. If you leave em at the top I'd click on em once in a while, just to be nice, but now... :exhausted

Anyway thats besides the point, the point is, what was wrong with them being towards the top of the page?

Wassalam

Beardo
11-15-2009, 12:30 AM
Don't click on them if you don't want to. We don't get paid if you click on it anyway.

Someone give her that AdBlocker please?

GuestFellow
11-15-2009, 12:32 AM
I don't even see the advertisement until someone mentions it. Just ignore it...like there was a wedding banner and I didn't even realise that...well when there was a topic about it lol.

Beardo
11-15-2009, 02:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
I don't even see the advertisement until someone mentions it. Just ignore it...like there was a wedding banner and I didn't even realise that...well when there was a topic about it lol.
I honestly still cannot comprehend how you miss it, bro. I accidentally made it humongous as well. :exhausted

Insaanah
12-11-2009, 09:19 PM

Are the Google ads necessary for the functioning of this site?

Some of them are highly inappropriate.

Insaanah
12-12-2009, 11:12 AM

This didn't get answered under forum help and feedback so am posting here, as that might have been the wrong place.

Are the Google ads necessary for the functioning of this site?

Some of them are highly inappropriate for a Muslim website. Eg offering profiles of Ukrainian women, Emails and calls with them, and romantic tours.

Danah
12-12-2009, 11:27 AM
I posted a thread about that few weeks ago, some members were fine with that. They suggested to use ads blockers to not see them. The ads are differ from country to another. Having the ads is one income source for the forum.

I hope we get rid of them soon though.

Insaanah
12-12-2009, 11:38 AM

Jazaakallah for adding to this thread, I didn't know about it.

If theres any way we can avoid such unIslamic, disgusting and dirty ads that would be good.

On another thread as well a brother was so disgusted by one of the adverts he was thinking of not logging in again if he saw them again. Well, as it seems this site can't function without them, I guess I have no choice but to get this adblocker. Does it affect one's computer or internet speed in any way?

Jazaakallah khair.

AabiruSabeel
12-12-2009, 12:08 PM
:wa:

Use Ad Block plus for firefox and right click on the images and select block, or you will find a small tab under right side of the ad with block written on it. Click that.
On another thread as well a brother was so disgusted by one of the adverts he was thinking of not logging in again if he saw them again. Well, as it seems this site can't function without them, I guess I have no choice but to get this adblocker.
The ads usually depend on your country and the content of the webpage. So members from Middle east see different ads than those from the west.
Does it affect one's computer or internet speed in any way?
As far as I know, it does not affect the browsing speed.

Woodrow
12-12-2009, 01:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel

Use Ad Block plus for firefox and right click on the images and select block, or you will find a small tab under right side of the ad with block written on it. Click that.
The ads usually depend on your country and the content of the webpage. So members from Middle east see different ads than those from the west.
As far as I know, it does not affect the browsing speed.
For browsers I use Firefox, Cometbird and Chrome. All depending on what sites I am going to be visiting. I find that for here Firefox with the adbloc plug in does not affect the PC and works. However, I disabled it as I see the need for the ads. I simply do not click on any I have no interest in. If I do see an ad for something I have use or need for I would click on it.

Ads are a necessity, unless a person has the personal funds to afford the cost of keeping a website on line. Advertising is a necessity if one is engaged in any type of media. But it need not become something evil. Once a website is established and has a high rsponce to ads, the greater the selection, of advertisers, become available.

Beardo
12-12-2009, 04:48 PM
In case you haven't notced, we've closed donations for IslamicBoard a few weeks after I joined the staff. Alhamdulillah, now we only accept donations towards JannahRelief.com, for our suffering Muslim brothers and sisters.

As for the Google Ads, i haven't seen anything inappropriate. However, if you do, please PM me with the contents of the Ad so I may pass it over to the Jannah Network Advertising Department. (would me calling it JNAD sound more professional? :P )

As for Ads itself, they are completely necessary unless you can offer us a few thousand dollars a year. Even then, we won't accept it. One of my personal goals for the Jannah Network and IslamicBoard is to manage it without asking for donations or from my parents. So far, it's going well Alhamdulillah.

Your Duas are definitely appreciated.

brotherubaid
12-12-2009, 08:14 PM
i completely understand that teh website needs to ahve adds to support the cost of having it up, i just hope there was a way to avoid indecent adds , like women wearing indecent clothes or women in general , Allahul Mustaan , there have been some very disgusting adds that popped in. I hope it can be resolved, else im sure some members will have to leave , i personaly would really have to call it off , im sure ther are ways t oavoid adds , my younger brother was telling me that on Mozilla firefox one can completely block all adds on the page so thats a good option, but im too used to iexplorer and some people might not have firefox , i will chec kif it really works like my brother is telling me than thats a good solution to it all , it would be great to get rid of all the adds this way.

Insaanah
12-12-2009, 10:25 PM

As for the Google Ads, i haven't seen anything inappropriate. However, if you do, please PM me with the contents of the Ad so I may pass it over to the Jannah Network Advertising Department.
Done. And if I see any more of that nature, I will let you know.

As for Ads itself, they are completely necessary unless you can offer us a few thousand dollars a year. Even then, we won't accept it. One of my personal goals for the Jannah Network and IslamicBoard is to manage it without asking for donations or from my parents. So far, it's going well Alhamdulillah.
That is very big of you. May Allah accept that kind intention in your heart. Ameen.

Your Duas are definitely appreciated.
InshaAllah will make du'aa. Also will make du'aa that you can keep going without ads or money! Where there is a good intention, I pray that Allah will make a way. Ameen.

Beardo
12-12-2009, 11:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by brotherubaid
i completely understand that teh website needs to ahve adds to support the cost of having it up, i just hope there was a way to avoid indecent adds , like women wearing indecent clothes or women in general , Allahul Mustaan , there have been some very disgusting adds that popped in. I hope it can be resolved, else im sure some members will have to leave , i personaly would really have to call it off , im sure ther are ways t oavoid adds , my younger brother was telling me that on Mozilla firefox one can completely block all adds on the page so thats a good option, but im too used to iexplorer and some people might not have firefox , i will chec kif it really works like my brother is telling me than thats a good solution to it all , it would be great to get rid of all the adds this way.
I totally understand. I've been talking to the Advertising department since July 10th, and Masha'Allah, they've been controlling it quite a bit. As I said, as soon as you see an indecent Ad, just PM me and I will pass it on.

A special Jazakallah to InsaneInsaan for doing just that. :)

ژاله
12-13-2009, 02:16 PM
so who on the forum wants to marry neha, anu or rahul? :hmm:
they all look hindu by the way :><:

MuslimahBarb
12-13-2009, 02:49 PM

Like Sr Danah said I think it all depends on where you are. I haven't seen anything remotely indecent on the ads, just ads for muxlim, an islamic investment firm and some other Islamic site. I don't think I have seen a dating site advertised on the ad banner when I have visited.

Raaina
12-13-2009, 02:54 PM
I guess I must have this Ad blocker already, i've never seen any google adds here.

MuslimahBarb
12-13-2009, 03:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
I guess I must have this Ad blocker already, i've never seen any google adds here.

Most likely you do. :D

czgibson
12-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
I'm the same. Over the years I must have programmed my eyes to ignore adverts automatically. I've never clicked on one and never consciously bought anything that I'd seen in an advert.

I've been getting some irritation recently from ads that take ages to download, so I'll be trying the Adblocker that Guven suggested - thanks for that.

Peace

OurIslamic
12-13-2009, 04:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
You probably just have javascript unabled.

OurIslamic
12-13-2009, 04:45 PM

I have noticed that lately we had this google ads banner at the top of the forum page.

Well, this list is always keep updating in an automatic way, and I dont think that there is a reliable way to control what kind of ads to show.
I did notice that there are some sites are not proper to be promoted in an Islamic forum like those sites of dating women from your own country ^o)

Do we really need that? I know Google ads pays to the forum for hosting the ads here, but still......:><:

What do you think?
1. Each time a google ad is clicked, the site brings revenue.

2. The "advertisement" is according to the content on the page.

3. I've already given Rashad a way to control the content of the ad (yes, it can be controlled) but it's a little hard for him to do anything since he relies heavily on his 'advertising department'.

4. Take a look at http://ourislamic.com (it's my personal site, an Islamic website and I am just using it as an example). Regardless of what page you're on, you won't see any innappropriate ads. I can guarantee that.

If you need any help (anyone) I'm ad adsense expert :P

brotherubaid
12-13-2009, 04:46 PM
what i usually see is the Ummah jobs add on top , thats what im getting right now , n im in middle east , what made me really upset was an add for some sort of online game i guess with a very indecent pic of a female , نسأل الله العفو والعافية وااله المستعان

InshahAllah if something like that or some other indecent stuff pops up i will definetly send u a PM brother. واستغفر الله انه كان غفارا

Beardo
12-13-2009, 05:14 PM
what i usually see is the Ummah jobs add on top , thats what im getting right now , n im in middle east , what made me really upset was an add for some sort of online game i guess with a very indecent pic of a female , نسأل الله العفو والعافية وااله المستعان

InshahAllah if something like that or some other indecent stuff pops up i will definetly send u a PM brother. واستغفر الله انه كان غفارا
Astaghfirullah.... imsad How'd that happen?! Yes, please let me know nextt ime.

Danah
12-13-2009, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by OurIslamic
1. Each time a google ad is clicked, the site brings revenue.

2. The "advertisement" is according to the content on the page.

3. I've already given Rashad a way to control the content of the ad (yes, it can be controlled) but it's a little hard for him to do anything since he relies heavily on his 'advertising department'.

4. Take a look at http://ourislamic.com (it's my personal site, an Islamic website and I am just using it as an example). Regardless of what page you're on, you won't see any innappropriate ads. I can guarantee that.

If you need any help (anyone) I'm ad adsense expert :P
Actually I used the ads blocker long time ago since I realized that we wont get rid of them here.....so I don't see ads in your site either :)

The ads cant be fully controlled and will never be, because the ads list that google use are dynamic so what you see today might not be seen tomorrow or after a week or a month, unless someone is ready to stay 24/7 online to check every new ads they add......then it will be a different story.

I used to be in another Islamic forum and the same ads problem was there, the admin asked the members to report any inappropriate ads to him....later on he realized that its a hard job to keep blocking the inappropriate sites from the list because they are dynamic so he just removed it all.
brother Ubaid, if you use firefox browser just add the ads blocker give yourself a break from all that thing.

brother Rashad, I sincerely pray that you will get a better income very soon so you wont need any ads from google inshaAllah.......jazakAllah khair for the hard work

OurIslamic
12-13-2009, 11:57 PM
The ads cant be fully controlled and will never be, because the ads list that google use are dynamic so what you see today might not be seen tomorrow or after a week or a month, unless someone is ready to stay 24/7 online to check every new ads they add......then it will be a different story.
You can filter categories..

Categories I'm currently filtering:
- Cosmetic Procedures & Body Modification
- Dating
- Sexual & Reproductive Health
- Sexually Suggestive
- Video Games (Casual & Online)

Categories I allow:
- Drugs & Supplements
- Get Rich Quick
- Politics
- Religion
- Ringtones & Downloadables
- Weight Loss

Advertisers aren't going to put their ads in the incorrect category, as their targeted traffic would get messed up, and they'd be wasting money.

Also, google check to make sure that the ads are in the proper categories.

Danah
12-14-2009, 06:08 AM
^ yes that might help a little, but still
Take for example the religion category, do all what had been advertised under that section is proper? I mean in terms of aqeedah and such...it keep promoting for sites that you are not sure whether they are trustworthy and promote islam in it's true form or not.

Fטлку
12-14-2009, 03:37 PM
And what are the rules of this forum regarding 'find a life partner' ads with ugly pictures on them..
I feel like making fun of the dudes and dudettes on it and it's all your fault :mmokay:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.