/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is organ donation allowed in Islam?

sharif1979
09-12-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm looking for everybody's views - this appears to be a misinformed topic with a variety of views. I'm doing work in this field and wold appreciate everyone taking 5 minutes to complete this survey on the link below:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...783xBj4g_3d_3d

Please ask lots of people to do this. What does everyone think?

Salaam and than you for your help.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
09-12-2009, 10:04 AM
:sl:

I don't think this is a matter so clear black and white..
How many factors go into organ donation from a scientific not a moral stand point?..
you have to HLA typing, blood typing and after you've covered all your grounds, you will deal with common complication whether GVHD, and anything from hyperacute rejection to delayed type, as well a life time of immunosuppressants as well the probable need of subsequent transplants.. an honest assessment of the life expectancy in organ transplantation is something that is often neglected.. it is not an easy task in medicine and not an easy task in morality as there are equal points to consider.
1- and this is a rational fear of many people ( if I am an organ donor and I am in a major accident, will the doctor's do everything to save me, or will they unplug the cord early to get it while it is still working (seems absurd but it is a common question)
2- who will get the organ. Will it be a financially secured person who has abused their body and now has their pick at the draw, while many others wait and die waiting for not being connected enough!
3- some people don't want to go to their grave disfigured especially women and that is actually a common reason of the difference in suicide means between men and women.
4- There is something by way of devaluing a person once their organ is removed, this has a psychological impact on the mourners.
5- There is a character of desecration to the body with organ removal and that is at odds with Islam.

my personal view though I am not a fan of parting with my own convictions in such a manner.
1- If it is a family member or someone that I personally can choose because I deemed worthy in advance in the case of my death.
2- If it is an organ that will regenerate(liver) or I have two(kidney) of, or can compensate the lack of (blood), are the only cases where I'd consider being a donor, and none other.. in all cases with the exception of blood donation, I'd need to personally assess the person in advance if they are not family.

:w:

ieshia
09-12-2009, 08:45 PM
I took the survey already

About the topic- I don't know why this is really even a debate. Organ donation is perfectly fine.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.