/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of honey

blazingflames17
09-13-2009, 02:57 AM
The benefits of honey from an Islamic perspective.

SAVE THE BEES!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BoredAgnostic
09-13-2009, 05:20 AM
Lets throw out all medication and replace it with Honey!!

جوري
09-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Oh I know, that anything that comes from the Quran and is of tremendous benefit will be met with nothing but ridicule.. but life is too short to be bored as an agnostic.. so get another hobby...

I wasn't going to comment on this thread, as the benefits of honey go without saying.. but to add to the above, a new role has been found for honey in the treatment of MRSA
MRSA May Succumb to Honey

WEDNESDAY, Sept. 9 -- Manuka honey, known for its anti-microbial properties, might kill MRSA

bacteria.
A new study from the University of Wales Institute-Cardiff suggests that the honey, made solely from flowers found on the New Zealand manuka bush, inhibits several proteins, especially the FabI protein, which is needed for fatty acid biosynthesis. The study was to be presented this week at a meeting in Scotland of the Society for General Microbiology.
MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) is a potentially deadly bacterial infection

that defies many treatments. Most MRSA infections occur in hospitals or other health-care settings.

Proponents of alternative therapies

tout the benefits of manuka honey as a wound dressing, claiming it has substantial anti-microbial benefits. The manuka bush is also known as the tea tree bush, and its oil is used in many toiletries.
The researchers treated MRSA samples with manuka for four hours. They then repeated the experiment with sugar syrup to determine if the anti-microbial effects were caused by sugars in the honey.
After breaking down the bacterial cells, the researchers noted far fewer proteins in the manuka culture, especially FabI. Their absence could help explain manuka honey's method of killing MRSA, they said.
"Manuka and other honeys have been known to have wound healing and anti-bacterial properties for some time," researcher Rowena Jenkins said in a news release from the society.

http://www.drugs.com/news/mrsa-may-s...ney-19771.html

here is a thought.. let's throw out all atheists and agnostics, frankly if they don't come as transplant parts, I can think of no other use for them as functioning members of society!

blazingflames17
09-13-2009, 01:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BoredAgnostic
Lets throw out all medication and replace it with Honey!!
Not the point at all.

Our knowledge isn't even advanced enough yet to do something like that, neither do I think we ever would do something like that.

But hey, the medication that big pharm produces is known for placebos and wanting more more more, great stuff! Just like Chris Rock said, they wanna get you hooked on legal s-word!

Also, the point of the topic was to shine some light on the benefits of honey, not throw everything else away!

Best regards!!!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BoredAgnostic
09-13-2009, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Oh I know, that anything that comes from the Quran and is of tremendous benefit will be met with nothing but ridicule..

My apologies for the flippant comment.

but life is too short to be bored as an agnostic.. so get another hobby...

You're right, working on that :)

I wasn't going to comment on this thread, as the benefits of honey go without saying.. but to add to the above, a new role has been found for honey in the treatment of MRSA
MRSA May Succumb to Honey

WEDNESDAY, Sept. 9 -- Manuka honey, known for its anti-microbial properties, might kill MRSA

bacteria.
A new study from the University of Wales Institute-Cardiff suggests that the honey, made solely from flowers found on the New Zealand manuka bush, inhibits several proteins, especially the FabI protein, which is needed for fatty acid biosynthesis. The study was to be presented this week at a meeting in Scotland of the Society for General Microbiology.
MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) is a potentially deadly bacterial infection

that defies many treatments. Most MRSA infections occur in hospitals or other health-care settings.

Proponents of alternative therapies

tout the benefits of manuka honey as a wound dressing, claiming it has substantial anti-microbial benefits. The manuka bush is also known as the tea tree bush, and its oil is used in many toiletries.
The researchers treated MRSA samples with manuka for four hours. They then repeated the experiment with sugar syrup to determine if the anti-microbial effects were caused by sugars in the honey.
After breaking down the bacterial cells, the researchers noted far fewer proteins in the manuka culture, especially FabI. Their absence could help explain manuka honey's method of killing MRSA, they said.
"Manuka and other honeys have been known to have wound healing and anti-bacterial properties for some time," researcher Rowena Jenkins said in a news release from the society.

http://www.drugs.com/news/mrsa-may-s...ney-19771.html

here is a thought.. let's throw out all atheists and agnostics, frankly if they don't come as transplant parts, I can think of no other use for them as functioning members of society!
Well, everyone's got an opinion! Maybe if we weren't meant to be on earth, then we wouldn't be?

BoredAgnostic
09-13-2009, 04:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by blazingflames17
Not the point at all.

Our knowledge isn't even advanced enough yet to do something like that, neither do I think we ever would do something like that.

But hey, the medication that big pharm produces is known for placebos and wanting more more more, great stuff! Just like Chris Rock said, they wanna get you hooked on legal s-word!

Also, the point of the topic was to shine some light on the benefits of honey, not throw everything else away!

Best regards!!!
Yes, I know. I made an unnecessary comment!

Ramadhan
09-13-2009, 04:33 PM

I beg to differ..
There are other important uses of atheists and agnostics.
For example, they serve as important and constant reminders that we should always be extremely grateful for Allah gives us His hidayah and did not make us one of them. :shudder:

Santoku
09-13-2009, 08:02 PM

I am an agnodtic, and perhaps you can think of no use for me, however as a member of the St John Ambulance I can assure that there are five prople walking round today as a direct result of my actions. I do not know how many are muslims, at least one was, but I think that they and their families might not agree with you that I have no use.

As for the medical benifits of honey in preventing sepsis in wounds that has been know for centuries.

جوري
09-13-2009, 08:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BoredAgnostic
Well, everyone's got an opinion! Maybe if we weren't meant to be on earth, then we wouldn't be?
Indeed, you are meant to be here.. Hope you don't waste it being spitefully corrosive on forums.

format_quote Originally Posted by Santoku
I am an agnodtic, and perhaps you can think of no use for me, however as a member of the St John Ambulance I can assure that there are five prople walking round today as a direct result of my actions. I do not know how many are muslims, at least one was, but I think that they and their families might not agree with you that I have no use.

As for the medical benifits of honey in preventing sepsis in wounds that has been know for centuries.
I need no assurances, whatever you do, you do for your own soul, and doesn't affect me either way whether you function as a productive member of society or spend it being as bum.

The medical benefits of honey are tremendous indeed, this is a thread entitled 'The Benefits of Honey', its benefits on MRSA weren't mentioned, I think it is apropos to introduce to the topic.. and in fact it is more in concert than your vocation or the other lady's sarcasm.

All the best!

Santoku
09-13-2009, 11:14 PM
I need no assurances, whatever you do, you do for your own soul, and doesn't affect me either way whether you function as a productive member of society or spend it being as bum.

The medical benefits of honey are tremendous indeed, this is a thread entitled 'The Benefits of Honey', its benefits on MRSA weren't mentioned, I think it is apropos to introduce to the topic.. and in fact it is more in concert than your vocation or the other lady's sarcasm.

All the best!
I beg to differ, if I were to say that your only use to society was as a spare part kit for agnostics you might also be a bit put out and seek to defend yourself against a baseless charge.

May peace be yours.

جوري
09-14-2009, 12:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Santoku
I beg to differ, if I were to say that your only use to society was as a spare part kit for agnostics you might also be a bit put out and seek to defend yourself against a baseless charge.

May peace be yours.

I am not aggrieved by what you think folks are good or not good for, anymore than many of you (on this forum) peddling the same platitudes have any bearing or consequence on the whole or my opinion in general for you to find it as a vantage point to take out your violin as well point out your laurelses..

It is as the bored one said, an opinion based on my observation on what the majority of you write here, including on this very thread. Something as innocuous as the benefits of honey should illicit not only ignorance but distaste, quite frankly, if you have nothing positive or conducive to the thread from the lowest common denominator then be prepared to handle whatever likewise distasteful comments that shall rain your way.. Perhaps it would make some of you think twice before you rant?

do spare me anymore of your pearls, unless it pertains to the ' Benefits of honey' I assure you all pithy cliches are non-contributory and have been peddled around the globe a hundred times over..

all the best!

Sanguis Deus
09-17-2009, 03:43 PM
If the honey's not filtered too much, it really helps with hay fever.

Gator
09-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Just a heads up. Don't give honey to a kid under 1 year old. Chance of infant botulism.

Najm
09-24-2009, 08:23 PM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

I wanted to know whats the best way of having honey??

What i do is use honey as a spread for my toasted bread :embarrass

FiAmaaniAllah

Caller الداعي
09-24-2009, 08:24 PM
jazakallah khair

جوري
09-24-2009, 09:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm

I wanted to know whats the best way of having honey??

What i do is use honey as a spread for my toasted bread :embarrass

FiAmaaniAllah
There are many ways that I personally enjoy honey..

directly out of these straws mixed with black seed..

you can also have it on top of cereal with bananas, or on top of waffles.. sometimes I have it dissolved in cold water with a slice of lemon.. there is no wrong way to have it :D
just depends on your preference :statisfie

:w:

ibnHussein
09-24-2009, 09:09 PM
thats not a good idea...:hmm:

جوري
09-24-2009, 09:15 PM
care to elaborate oh one post wonder?

Najm
09-24-2009, 09:53 PM

you can also have it on top of cereal with bananas, or on top of waffles.. sometimes I have it dissolved in cold water with a slice of lemon.. there is no wrong way to have it :D

WOW
!! Do they have these straws at tesco's or something? I want to get some now!!! :statisfie

So with cold water, how many teaspoons of honey and what type of lemon :embarrass

FiAmaaniAllah

جوري
09-24-2009, 10:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm

WOW
!! Do they have these straws at tesco's or something? I want to get some now!!! :statisfie

So with cold water, how many teaspoons of honey and what type of lemon :embarrass

FiAmaaniAllah
aslamu 3lykoum wr wb akhi..

I get them from this website

http://www.herbalremedies.com/black-...ey-sticks.html

and I am sure there is similar in England but those guys deliver every where. If I were you I'd get the big size..

I dissolve honey in little water, I use one of those 'shot glasses'
similar to this:

but obviously you don't have to do it that way at all.. I just love almost frozen water sweetened with honey, as far as I know, I am the only one in my family who has it this way.
My dad has honey on his cereal.

You can also sweeten your tea with it instead of sugar..

I use just a regular slice of lemon..

this much

Hope that gives you some ideas insha'Allah.. but I know the possibilities are endless...

you can also have it drizzled on top of waffles instead of syrup with some fruits

جوري
09-24-2009, 10:13 PM
just to add to above, I sometimes use one of those honey/black seed straws in bergamot tea (aged earl gray) to sweeten in lieu of sugar

I have to say that is entirely an acquired taste and very agreeable to my personal taste buds, but tea is about personal pleasure, so it might not be agreeable with everyone.. it is very soothing however, to me personally..

Nancy
09-25-2009, 03:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sanguis Deus
If the honey's not filtered too much, it really helps with hay fever.
Whenever I catch a cold or hay fever I take four spoons of honey and I'm cured the next day, subhan allah. It's true I advice all my friends and family to take it too when they are sick.

Nancy
09-28-2009, 03:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gator
Just a heads up. Don't give honey to a kid under 1 year old. Chance of infant botulism.
Subhan allah I didn't know that !
Alhamdolellah

Ramadhan
09-28-2009, 05:57 AM
I normally just have one large spoonful scoop of honey every morning cause I love the taste of honey :)
and I substitute sugar with honey in my coffee and tea.

I also take encapsulated blackseed oil daily, and I'd love to have those honey straws here, but none available.

Iris
10-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Yeah I've heard about the benefits of blackseed...never knew encapsulated forms of it are available, i'll have to check it out at my pharmacy!! Is it advisable to consume it daily though??

zakirs
10-26-2009, 03:47 PM

You just made me hungry :(
And international shipping costs 21$ :(:(:(:(:(

oh and btw Woodrow uncle wood be having more info on honey :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.