/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can i call myself a follower of islam..but not muslim?

AlexJ90
09-13-2009, 05:56 PM
To me islam is a way of life...If i were to call it a religion...then woudlnt islam be listed into a 'group'...which consists of other religions?...religions that differ so much from islam?

Isit possible to say that religion is wrong...but islam is the way of life...and its far more than just a religion.

If you follow islam...the quran...everything perfectly... and not call your self muslim...or say islam is a 'religion'...

is that okay?

Thanks brothers.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
rpwelton
09-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Deen is an arabic word that means more than just religion, as you have pointed out it really means "way of life". Islam is the deen that Allah has prescribed for us, and Muslims are ones who submit to that way.

We often say Islam is a religion because it is the easiest way to grasp the concept in the English language (not sure about other languages).

If you follow Islam, the Qur'an and the example of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) then you are a Muslim and should call yourself as such.

Sampharo
09-13-2009, 07:14 PM
If you make the declaration (shahada) and pronounce God as one and Mohamed as his prophet, then you are a muslim and following Islam as a way of life becomes a natural expectation and duty. So if you have declared, why wouldn't you want to call yourself a muslim?

Do not confuse God's religion with man-made replicas that were created for the personal profit and power-hoarding of specific groups of people. Islam is not about inner peace and happiness, it's about worshipping God and going to heaven while having inner peace and happiness, and Quranic text says specifically that you do identify yourself as someone who submitted and surrendered to God's will (muslim).

God knows best.

Beardo
09-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Can I call myself an apple, but not a fruit?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
09-13-2009, 08:39 PM
^lol

The fact that Islam as a religion is a complete way of life shows that it is the perfect religion which encompasses all human needs and situations. This to me just proves that all other religions are deficient and incomplete. So why wouldn't you want the best?

zakirs
09-14-2009, 09:04 AM
If you meant if you could secretly follow islam ( as in not telling your relatives ) , yes you can till you are comfortable and brave enough.

alcurad
09-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Islam is not a way of life, it is a religion, religion is the broader term.

Christianity is a religion, and Islam is not?
this seems more like a reaction to the negative connotations that Western society attaches to 'religion' per se rather than a legitimate reason.

Sampharo
09-14-2009, 10:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad

this seems more like a reaction to the negative connotations that Western society attaches to 'religion' per se rather than a legitimate reason.
I kind of agree as well to this.

It might at first seemed that in terms of language, as rpwelton put it, it encompasses a religion AS WELL AS mode of living and therefore we're broadening the concept, where-as western concept of the word religion would be what church a person follows and only that.

But it isn't appropriate really to "sweeten" or "mitigate" Islam. Would you be looking at a "lighter" version or something? Wanting to adopt the spiritual side only? Thinking of practicing the directives but not committing to the worship? Or are you just trying to avoid being called Muslim for fear of negative connotation in your society?

The only thing is if you fear for your life and well-being, yes it's allowed to hide your faith (but that means that after a while you should be making hijra to a place where you can practice Islam freely). But the others are completely forbidden in Islam and will get you nothing. Faith without prayer and fasting, no good. Staying away from what Islam said is bad for you but not committing to the creed, no good. Adopting the obligations gradually, yes you can do so and acceptable, but you need to be prepared to accept the obligations as a whole while teaching yourself how to practice them one by one and adopt them when you can.

May God grant you guidance.

Beardo
09-15-2009, 01:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad

What's wrong with Islam being a way of life AND a religion? Well, a religion is a way of life. But is a way of life a religion? Not necessarily.

Unlike other religions, Islam goes into details on how to carry about our daily duties. So I wouldn't consider it wrong to say Islam is a way of life. But I would consider it wrong if you said Islam is not a religion, because it is. And you'll be confusing others when you say it is not a religion.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.