/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What are hoor al ayn? Are they angels in an islamic heaven?

blackbeard88
09-16-2009, 12:36 AM
how should i say this, in palestine, i was reading this article about how suicide bombers are motivated to die because of the "hoor al ayn". and i just wanted to know, who or what are they? are they angels, like in christianity there are angels who reside in heaven. is it the same in the quran? and why do so many young men sacrifice themselves for the sake of these creatures? what significance do they hold in islam? how were they created, who created them? did they come from God? are they messengers or spirits?

you can't find any photos of the prophet or the beings that exist in islam. in christianity, all the time and everywhere, there are movies made about Jesus and tv shows about angels and you never see any movies about the prophet's life or any of the beings that exist in the koran. you never see any tv shows where the islamic faith is the focus of the story. all a person hears and sees are the bad and negative aspects about islam. why is that? there needs to be more movies, more photos or atleast more up to date documentaries about islam. you never see any muslim families on shows like dr. phil or oprah. i don't know, there needs to be more positive talk out in the open rather than behind closed doors....just what i think.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
DigitalStorm82
09-16-2009, 03:02 AM
Hoor al ayn are a creation of Allah (God) they are not angels or humans or anything in between.

People blowing themselves is a major misconception about Islam that media portrays... suicide = Hellfire.

I'm no scholar but to answer your question to my understanding. Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) forbade us to create pictures/statues and the likes for we will be asked on judgement day to give life to them and we will not be able to...

Jesus/Moses/Noah as well as the return of prophet Jesus (pbuh) is mentioned in the Quran and yet you see pictures/movies of them due to non-muslims creating them. We as Muslims dare not portray them and their excellence in our limited capacity.

Beliefs and Ideals will exist forever pictures/movies/statues will change over time and probably worshiped.

Believe it or not, in some parts of the world people have created shrines out of saints across all religions and they are being worshiped instead of the One True God. Which is an unforgivable sin, known as "Shirk" - Associating partners with One God.

I hope I have answered your question, I'm sure more knowledgeable brothers/sisters will add/correct my mistakes.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for seeking the truth about Islam rather than believing the television.

Peace

جوري
09-16-2009, 04:35 AM
irst of all, the thing I find mind-boggling about this issue is that the most well-known aspect of paradise to non-muslims is NOT something found in the numerous descriptions of paradise in the Qur'an (which speak primarily of closeness to God, tranquility, beautiful gardens and delightful provisions) nor any of the prophetic statements in Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim, Sunan Abi Dawud and Sunan An-Nasaa'i, the four most authentic ahadith compilations.

Rather the most well-known aspect of paradise to non-muslims is found in a single hadith narrated in Sunan At-Tirmidhi and Sunan Ibn Majah:
The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The martyr has six blessings with Allaah: he will be forgiven from the first drop of blood shed; he will be shown his place in Paradise; he will be protected from the torment of the grave; he will be safe from the greater terror; a crown of dignity will be placed on his head, one ruby of which is better than this world and everything in it; he will be married to seventy-two wives from al-hoor al-‘iyn; and he will intercede for seventy of his relatives.”

Now the hadith may be authentic as it was declared by Imam Al-Albani, or it may not be as indicated by Imam Ibn Al-Qayyim; either way it poses no problem to Muslims. The real problem I see is the outrageous distortion by the media concerning the Islamic concept of paradise. Out of the millions of statements concerning paradise found in the Qur'an and Ahadith, how is it that Non-muslims are most aware of this single statement in a single narration in one of the tertiary sources, concerning the blessings of the martyr? How is it that they are aware of this and NOTHING else?? That is the problem with the media portrayal of Islamic teachings.

You asked:
Is there a hadith regarding men getting 72 virgins when they die?
The hadith is as I have quoted above, but the promise is only for the martyr. And contrary to the media stereotype, the Muslim martyr is NOT the one who goes and blows himself up along with civilians which is categorically prohibited in Islam, the Muslim martyr is one who is killed while attempting to protect the oppressed and striving for justice against the oppressors.

Coming back to the reward in paradise, like I mentioned earlier all the common descriptions in the major sources have been skipped over and this single narration has been isolated and focused on by the media. So where do Islamic sources place emphasis in describing paradise? Let us turn to the Qur'an, the primary and most authoritative source in Islam. Take a look at the Qur'anic descriptions:

39:33-35. And he who brings the Truth and he who confirms (and supports) it - such are the men who do right. They shall have all that they wish for, in the presence of their Lord: such is the reward of those who do good: So that Allah will turn off from them (even) the worst in their deeds and give them their reward according to the best of what they have done.

47:15. (Here is) a Parable of the Garden which the righteous are promised: in it are rivers of water incorruptible; rivers of milk of which the taste never changes; rivers of wine, a joy to those who drink; and rivers of honey pure and clear. In it there are for them all kinds of fruits; and Grace from their Lord. (Can those in such Bliss) be compared to such as shall dwell for ever in the Fire, and be given, to drink, boiling water, so that it cuts up their bowels (to pieces)?

32:17. Now no person knows what delights of the eye are kept hidden (in reserve) for them - as a reward for their (good) deeds.

50:31-35. And the Garden will be brought nigh to the Righteous,- no more a thing distant. (A voice will say) "This is what was promised for you,- for every one who turned (to Allah. in sincere repentance, who kept (His Law), "Who feared ((Allah)) Most Gracious Unseen, and brought a heart turned in devotion (to Him): "Enter ye therein in Peace and Security; this is a Day of Eternal Life!" There will be for them therein all that they wish,- and more besides in Our Presence.

54:54-55. As to the Righteous, they will be in the midst of Gardens and Rivers, In an Assembly of Truth, in the Presence of a Sovereign Omnipotent.

39:20. But those who fear Allâh and keep their duty to their Lord (Allâh), for them are built lofty rooms; one above another under which rivers flow (i.e. Paradise). (This is) the Promise of Allâh: and Allâh does not fail in (His) Promise.

51:15-16. As to the Righteous, they will be in the midst of Gardens and Springs, Taking joy in the things which their Lord gives them, because, before then, they lived a good life.

39:73-75. And those who feared their Lord will be led to the Garden in crowds: until behold, they arrive there; its gates will be opened; and its keepers will say: "Peace be upon you! well have ye done! enter ye here, to dwell therein." They will say: "Praise be to Allah, Who has truly fulfilled His Promise to us, and has given us (this) land in heritage: We can dwell in the Garden as we will: how excellent a reward for those who work (righteousness)!" And thou wilt see the angels surrounding the Throne (Divine) on all sides, singing Glory and Praise to their Lord. The Decision between them (at Judgment) will be in (perfect) justice, and the cry (on all sides) will be, "Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds!"

57:18-19. Verily, those who give in charity, men and women, and lend to Allah a goodly loan, it shall be increased manifold (to their credit), and theirs shall be an honourable good reward (i.e. Paradise). And those who believe in (the Oneness of) Allah and His Messengers, they are the sincere lovers of truth. And the martyrs with their Lord, they shall have their reward and their light. But those who disbelieve and deny Our signs, they shall be the dwellers of the blazing Fire.

69:19-24. Then he that will be given his Record in his right hand will say: "Ah here! Read ye my Record! "I did really understand that my Account would (One Day) reach me!" And he will be in a life of Bliss, In a Garden on high, The Fruits whereof (will hang in bunches) low and near. "Eat ye and drink ye, with full satisfaction; because of the (good) that ye sent before you, in the days that are gone!"

33:35. For Muslim men and women,- for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in Charity, for men and women who fast (and deny themselves), for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah.s praise,- for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward.

29:58-59.But those who believe and work deeds of righteousness - to them shall We give a Home in Heaven,- lofty mansions beneath which flow rivers,- to dwell therein for aye;- an excellent reward for those who do (good)!- Those who persevere in patience, and put their trust, in their Lord and Cherisher.

85:11. For those who believe and do righteous deeds, will be Gardens; beneath which rivers flow: That is the great Salvation, (the fulfilment of all desires),

45:30. Then, as to those who believed and did righteous deeds, their Lord will admit them to His Mercy that will be the achievement for all to see.

36:55-58. Verily the Companions of the Garden shall that Day have joy in all that they do; They and their associates will be in groves of (cool) shade, reclining on Thrones (of dignity); (Every) fruit (enjoyment) will be there for them; they shall have whatever they call for; "Peace!" - a word (of salutation) from a Lord Most Merciful!

18:30-31. Indeed, those who have believed and done righteous deeds - indeed, We will not allow to be lost the reward of any who did well in deeds. Those will have gardens of perpetual residence; beneath them rivers will flow. They will be adorned therein with bracelets of gold and will wear green garments of fine silk and brocade, reclining therein on adorned couches. Excellent is the reward, and good is the resting place.

29:7-9. Those who believe and work righteous deeds,- from them shall We blot out all evil (that may be) in them, and We shall reward them according to the best of their deeds. We have enjoined on man kindness to parents: but if they (either of them) strive (to force) thee to join with Me (in worship) anything of which thou hast no knowledge, obey them not. Ye have (all) to return to me, and I will tell you (the truth) of all that ye did. And those who believe and work righteous deeds,- them shall We admit to the company of the Righteous.

88:8-16. (Other) faces that Day will be joyful, Pleased with their striving,- In a Garden on high,Where they shall hear no (word) of vanity: Therein will be a bubbling spring: Therein will be Thrones (of dignity), raised on high, Goblets placed (ready), And cushions set in rows, And rich carpets (all) spread out.

44:51-57. As to the Righteous (they will be) in a position of Security, Among Gardens and Springs; Dressed in fine silk and in rich brocade, they will face each other; So; and We shall join them to Companions with beautiful, big, and lustrous eyes. There can they call for every kind of fruit in peace and security; Nor will they there taste Death, except the first death; and He will preserve them from the Penalty of the Blazing Fire, - As a Bounty from thy Lord! that will be the supreme achievement!

77:41-44 As to the Righteous, they shall be amidst (cool) shades and springs (of water). And (they shall have) fruits,- all they desire. "Eat ye and drink ye to your heart's content: for that ye worked (Righteousness). Thus do We certainly reward the Doers of Good.

66:8. O ye who believe! Turn to Allah with sincere repentance: In the hope that your Lord will remove from you your ills and admit you to Gardens beneath which Rivers flow,- the Day that Allah will not permit to be humiliated the Prophet and those who believe with him. Their Light will run forward before them and by their right hands, while they say, "Our Lord! Perfect our Light for us, and grant us Forgiveness: for Thou hast power over all things.

33:47. Then give the Glad Tidings to the Believers, that they shall have from Allah a very great Bounty.

98:7-8. Those who have faith and do righteous deeds,- they are the best of creatures. Their reward is with Allah. Gardens of Eternity, beneath which rivers flow; they will dwell therein for ever; Allah well pleased with them, and they with Him: all this for such as fear their Lord and Cherisher.

35:33-35. Gardens of Eternity will they enter: therein will they be adorned with bracelets of gold and pearls; and their garments there will be of silk. And they will say: "Praise be to Allah, Who has removed from us (all) sorrow: for our Lord is indeed Oft-Forgiving Ready to appreciate (service): "Who has, out of His Bounty, settled us in a Home that will last: no toil nor sense of weariness shall touch us therein."

19:60-63. Except those who repent, believe and do righteousness; for those will enter Paradise and will not be wronged at all. [Therein are] gardens of perpetual residence which the Most Merciful has promised His servants in the unseen. Indeed, His promise has ever been coming. They will not hear therein any ill speech - only [greetings of] peace - and they will have their provision therein, morning and afternoon. That is Paradise, which We give as inheritance to those of Our servants who were fearing of Allah.

48:5. That He may admit the men and women who believe, to Gardens beneath which rivers flow, to dwell therein for aye, and remove their ills from them;- and that is, in the sight of Allah, the highest achievement (for man)

101:6-7. Then, he whose balance (of good deeds) will be (found) heavy, Will be in a life of good pleasure and satisfaction.

25:10. Blessed is He who, if that were His will, could give thee better (things) than those,- Gardens beneath which rivers flow; and He could give thee palaces (secure to dwell in).

31:8-9.For those who believe and work righteous deeds, there will be Gardens of Bliss,- To dwell therein. The promise of Allah is true: and He is Exalted in Power, Wise.

83:22-28. Truly the Righteous will be in Bliss: On Thrones (of Dignity) will they command a sight (of all things): Thou wilt recognise in their faces the beaming brightness of Bliss. Their thirst will be slaked with Pure Wine sealed: The seal thereof will be Musk: And for this let those aspire, who have aspirations: With it will be (given) a mixture of Tasnim: A spring, from (the waters) whereof drink those Nearest to Allah.

I think that should suffice. Read through these passages which are interspersed throughout the Qur'an, and you will see what the Qur'an focuses on. Most of the time God simply mentions that the believers will have the mercy and forgiveness of God and will be in His presence, praising Him, the greatest of paradise's rewards. But since human beings live in a physical world of physical pleasures, a physical incentive is quite motivating for the human especially when they are sacrificing their desires and pleasures in this life to strive to do what is right. So in some passages God describes the joys of paradise for the believers to be motivated. When doing so, God reminds the believer that the bounties of paradise are beyond one's imagination (32:17) and one will have whatever they desire (39:34). Without a doubt, the most frequently mentioned physical description of paradise is the flowing rivers. In the passages where more details are provided, the fruits and drinks of paradise are most often mentioned, as well as the beautiful mansions and palaces, the absence of any ill-speech, the abundance of praises and greetings of peace, and then loving companionship.

I could go through the Ahadith and pull out the common descriptions but the same emphasis is given. When one realizes where Islam places the emphasis in describing paradise, one can recognize the terrible distortion in constantly singling out a narration on 72 virgins for martyrs as though it is the only thing in paradise. No doubt there will be physical pleasures in paradise as confirmed by the Qur'an and Ahadith, but we need to focus on what the Qur'an and Ahadith focus on.

As for the notion that the hûr in paradise are grapes, this is a false notion which contradicts the Qur'an and Ahadith. The loving companionship believing men and believing women will enjoy in paradise is confirmed by the Islamic texts, but again, the focus is on being in the company of God. After that, the believers will have whatever physical pleasures they desire, as a reward for striving continuously to perform righteous deeds.

A related question concerning the reward of women in paradise versus the reward of men in paradise has been answered here:
http://www.islamicboard.com/akhira-h...-paradise.html (What will women get in Paradise?)

I hope this helps.
:w: __________________
The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:
"Surely I was sent to perfect the qualities of righteous character" [Musnad Ahmad, Muwatta Mâlik]

Visit Ansâr Al-'Adl's personal page HERE.
http://www.islamicboard.com/clarific...tml#post292596

to address your other Q's quickly.
Taking statues to depict anything honorable or holy is frowned upon in Islam and is actually akin to paganism!
just because the west does it and thinks it is ok to mock or depict everything doesn't mean that the Muslim world should follow in that same league.

salacious and obscene shows like springer and montel and phile mcgraw who by the way failed to complete the conditions imposed as disciplinary sanctions by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists in 1989 and is technically giving advise only with a bachelors are like wise an abomination although I can't say that there is a shortage of them in the Arab world get yourself satellite TV and you'll see them equally humiliate themselves in public.

as for not seeing enough positive things about Muslims, well I am not sure the west is interested.. and to combat that wouldn't be akin to having a show where people come up and talk nonsense on national TV!

all the best

//-Asif-\\
09-16-2009, 07:41 PM
The Hur-Al Ayn are mentioned in the Qur'an as big eyed beautiful, virgin damsels that will be in Paradise as a reward for believers. It's not specified whether they're angels or not but they may just be a different creation or maybe similar to humans or a mixture of humans/angels since their beauty is unimaginable.

The young men and suicide bombers are motivated by those that brainwash them into sacrificing their lives and blowing themselves up so they could die in the name of Islam and are deluded into thinking that they will be rewarded instant Paradise and be given Hur-Al Ayn. I'm guessing that's where the "72 Virgin" bull came from. It's nowhere in the Qur'an.

Of course they were created by Allah, who creates all things and He only knows how he created them. They seem to have no other purpose but as a reward and pleasure for those in Paradise. In the Qur'an, it says that Hur-Al Ayn will wed themselves to residents in Paradise.

Islam doesn't allow the creation or depiction of images of Prophets, angels and such because no one knows truely what they look like so it's a disrespectful and prohibited act. There was a movie on the Prophet (pbuh) called "The Message" where no dipiction of him was seen.

And being in America where Muslims are the minority and are misunderstood and even viewed negatively, its no surprise that only negative stories are brought up and images and the like. If the general public is not informed correctly on something, they'll have a skewed view of it. Simple as that.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
zakirs
09-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Since you asked about movies, documentaries..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...muhammad&hl=en

Watch this .. this is Legacy of Muhammed peace be upon him.

Regarding hooral ayn they are angels in paradise.The people who kill themselves in palestine aren't doing for angels but they are trying to fight against oppression against their homeland.Which i would assume you know about.

blackbeard88
09-17-2009, 12:08 AM
ok, Goss, don't take it so personal.....a question is a question. no need to blast me because i'm an outsider. let's be clear here, i'm not a muslim and i was wanting to find answers about your religion beyond what i've been told. i come in peace, ok. i didn't come to argue or diss you or your beliefs. in my life, i don't pray and haven't prayed to anything for a very long time. i mean when i was younger i did, but it's been a long time since i've actually "talked" to God. i used to be somewhat spiritual but i'm not even that anymore. so if my questions seem offensive or downright ignorant, sorry. so let me apologize to you before hand.

but so far i've gotten some pretty good and thorough answers. and i appreciate that, thank you for taking the time and for having patience with me. i don't know which direction to go in spiritually, i was curious as to how your faith has fullfilled your lives. i'm gradually beginning to put everything into perspective now. i'm beginning to see that there are some boundaries that i shouldn't cross and whenever it comes to religion, people tend to get touchy or upset if something was said wrong or asked in a wrong way. when i first came to this site, i did have a somewhat negative view of muslims. i mean, i wasn't hateful but there were a lot of things i didn't understand. now i'm beginning to get the gist of who muslims are, their faith, their beliefs. i see how a lot of you are very devoted to islam. and i didn't know islam was a lifestyle, i couldn't see how someone could be so devoted to just one thing. it's hard for me to concentrate on just one thing. so in a way, just from your answers, i have learned a lot. i'm beginning to see what is truthful and what isn't. whether islam is for me, personally, i don't know. let's just say, i got more reading and searching to do.....

it's difficult to go through life without direction or guidance, no one should go through life alone....and that's my response.

zakirs
09-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Peace :),

Sorry if that post by skye sis hurt you , but i am pretty sure she did it in good spirit :).
Regarding your situation.. Try learning more about islam and ask us anything you want to know about

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.