/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Feeding non-Muslims during Ramadan

glo
09-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Is it permissible for a Muslim to give food to non-Muslims during the daylight hours at Ramadan?

A couple of years ago, my physio colleague and I visited a Muslim family with a profoundly disabled daughter. It was Ramadan, and the wife had started preparing the iftar meal.
Her husband offered us food. I tried to decline, knowing that they were fasting. He persisted with his offer in a very generous and caring way ... and we ended up enjoying some wonderful samosas.

Even after all that time I remember the hospitality and generosity (not to mention the wonderful food) with great warmth and gratitude.
The whole experience showed me Islam and Muslims in a very positive light - yet I have since heard Muslims say that by offering food to non-Muslims during the fasting period they would become guilty of enticing non-believers to commit sin.

What are your thoughts and comments? (If possible with references to hadith or Qu'ran)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
09-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks for approving this thread. :bump1:

aadil77
05-31-2010, 09:42 PM
woh how old is this thread

yes of course its permissable thats just normal hospitality, since you're not muslim it wouldn't apply to you I think?

Amat Allah
05-31-2010, 11:02 PM
In The Name of Allah The Most Compassionate The Most Merciful

we are all the slaves and servants of Allah and The commandments and orders of Allah came to us all so, leaving the commandments of Allah and disobeying Allah will make us fall in sins and every sin has its punishment ,the rulings of Shariaa are for all the slaves and servants of Allah whether they were Muslims or not...

and Allah says: "Help you one another in Al-Birr and At-Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression. And fear Allah. Verily, Allah is Severe in punishment. (2) "

Surat Al Maa`edah

so, are we going to help our non muslim brothers and sisters in sining by eating during the day in Ramadaan ? may Allah guid us all to the truth Ameen

I think that noble and respected brother didn`t know the ruling in this may Allah forgive him Ameen

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible for a Muslim to offer food during the day in Ramadaan unless that is to a person who is excused for not fasting, such as one who is sick or travelling. But if he has no excuse then it is not permissible to give him food, whether he is a Muslim or a kaafir.

As for giving food to a Muslim who does not have an excuse, that is clear, because he is sinning by not fasting, and it is not permissible to help him in his sin.

As for the non-Muslim, he is also sinning by not fasting in Ramadaan, because the minor issues of sharee’ah are addressed to the kuffaar as is indicated by the evidence, and this is the view of the majority of scholars. What is meant by the minor issues of sharee’ah being addressed to the kuffaar is that the kuffaar are obliged to pray and fast and do all duties, just as they are obliged to observe the basic principle, which is to believe. So the kaafir will be called to account on both counts, the basic principle and the minor issues, and he will be punished for failing to observe the minor issues just as he will be punished for failing to observe the basic principle, even though observing the minor issue is not valid unless the basic principle is first observed.

So the kaafir who is able to fast must fast, just as he must become Muslim. If he does not fast then he is sinning by breaking the fast. Hence it is not permissible to help him in this sin, rather he should be left to prepare his food for himself.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The correct view which is followed by the scholars and the majority is that the minor issues of sharee’ah are addressed to the kuffaar, and silk is forbidden for them just as it is forbidden to the Muslims. End quote from Sharh Muslim, 14/39.

Al-Ramli (may Allaah have mercy on him) narrated in Nihaayat al-Muhtaaj (5/274) that the scholars ruled that it is haraam to sell food to kaafirs during the day in Ramadaan.
and Allah knows the best

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
06-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Salaam/Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by Amat Allah
are we going to help our non muslim brothers and sisters in sining by eating during the day in Ramadaan ?

but can we force non-Muslims to fast ? Prophet Muhammed pbuh did not allow any non-Muslims to eat during the day of Ramadan ?

Amat Allah
06-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Bismellahi irrahmani irraheem , Tawakkalna Alaa Allah...

My dear sister , I didn`t say : you take a gun and aim at their heads so you would keep a watchful eye on them and when they put only a bit in their mouths just shoot ...

please, my sweet heart understand _may Allah be pleased with you Ameen_ and let the Book of Allah , The Sunnah of His Messanger (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and The way of his companions (may Allah be pleased with them) who followed his way and guidance be the scale here...

These are the limits of Allah, and it is our duty and the obligation to not violate them and not to transgress the limits ordained by Allah under any circumstances and by feeding others during the day in Ramadan whether being Muslims or not with no reasons or Legitimate excuses ,you are transgresses the limit of Allah which is the prohibition of eating during the day in Ramadan...

Allah says: "And whoever transgresses the limits ordained by Allah, then such are the Zalimun (wrong-doers, etc.). (229) "

Surat Al Baqarah , 229.

If they were originaly eating from their own food which they brought with them then they disobyed Allah by them selves and without my help and at that time I would give them advices , reminders and explain for them the limits and the rulings of the Islamic law, but won`t force them to vomit or fast or help them to disobey Allah Al Mighty by giving them food during the day in Ramadan...

in shaa Allah you understood and I believe that Allah says:

" and whoever honours the sacred things of Allah, then that is better for him with his Lord."

Surat Al Hajj,30

"And whosoever honours the Symbols of Allah, then it is truly from the piety of the heart. (32) "

Surat Al Hajj, 32.

and Allah ordered us to judge with His Book between all mankind not only Muslims my precious sister , and He says:

"Surely, We have sent down to you (O Muhammad SAW) the Book (this Quran) in truth that you might judge between men by that which Allah has shown you (i.e. has taught you through Divine Inspiration), so be not a pleader for the treacherous. (105) "

Surat An`nisaa`a, 105.

So, as I said before the rulings of the shari`aa are for everyone in this world not only Muslims...

and forcing others to be Muslims or to fast pray or whatever won`t ever be a solution and that would make others hate Islam and run away from it...and acting like this is not from Islam at all, and whenever someone forces others to be Muslims by any means then that one is voilating the Law of Allah Al Mighty...

"There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the Right Path has become distinct from the wrong path. Whoever disbelieves in Taghut and believes in Allah, then he has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that will never break. And Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower. (256) "

Surat Al Baqarah ,256.

I only have The Book of Allah and His Messanger`s Sunnah to rule with ,remind by and explain for others , if they want to take them, then Alhamdulillah they took the truth happiness true guidance and success in this life and in the hereafter but if refuzing them ,then Allah says:

"Say: "Obey Allah and obey the Messenger, but if you turn away, he (Messenger Muhammad SAW) is only responsible for the duty placed on him (i.e. to convey Allah's Message) and you for that placed on you. If you obey him, you shall be on the right guidance. The Messenger's duty is only to convey (the message) in a clear way (i.e. to preach in a plain way)." (54)"

Surat An`noor, 54.

and Allah knows the best...

may Allah guide us all before standing before Him in the Day of Judgement ...Ameeen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.