/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do you eat more during Ramadhan?

Rabi Mansur
09-20-2009, 08:36 PM
:sl:

I was just wondering, during Ramadhan do you actually end up eating more food overall because you eat more at night to make up for going without food and drink during the day?

Thanks for your responses.

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
-Elle-
09-20-2009, 08:58 PM

lol that's the thought I have in my head when I start eating, but I never end up eating more than I usually do. Sometimes yes,if it's something I really love,but most of the time, I'm just not that hungry, so I eat until i'm full AlhamdulillAh:statisfie Its more near midnight or 1 am that I get really hungry...

so I eat.Anything and everything:D.

haha hope that answered your question

Aisha20
09-20-2009, 09:00 PM
No.
In sehri i cant even eat well, just have cereal haha and in iftaar (all day i use to say i am goin to eat this and this ...) but when time comes i end up eating just few things. And thats all i eat whole ramadhan!

Misz_Muslimah
09-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Totally agree with you sister Aisha ;D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
09-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Not really. I get sick if I eat too much in general. I lost a lot of weight. =/

A bit too much.

Rabi Mansur
09-21-2009, 01:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Not really. I get sick if I eat too much in general. I lost a lot of weight. =/

A bit too much.

How much did you lose? Just wondering.

Ramadhan
09-21-2009, 01:38 AM
In total i think i ate less.
In the beginning days, I ate more during iftar/night but as my body adjusted, I ate less and less.
Also, I tried to keep my metabolism up by exercising (running, cross training) an hour before iftar.
So, towards the end of ramadan I think I was in the best shape of a long time, but now I've squandered most of it by stuffing my face with all these eid food :)

Humbler_359
09-21-2009, 02:36 AM
:sl: brother and sister,

Happy Eid Mubarak to All of you, it was great journey during Ramadan and we spend alot of times devoting to our Creator Allah (Subhana Wa Taa'la) and increases our knowledges and soul. This year, I ate much less and even less than last year, I was very hungry and grabbed over all delicious foods, Lol.

Regarding to your thread, our beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: "The son of Adam does not fill any vessel worse than his stomach. It is sufficient for the son of Adam to eat a few mouthfuls, to keep him going. If he must do that (fill his stomach), then let him fill one third with food, one third with drink and one third with air.”

The more people eat their fill in this world, the more hungry they will be on the Day of Resurrection.”

Eating Habits of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Extravagance in food and drink during Ramadaan

Eating All You Can this Eid?

Muhaba
09-21-2009, 03:36 AM
one tends to eat more in ramadan simply because of the many hours between sehri and aftar. After ramadan, eating is more balanced. I saw that normally i can lower my intake & lose upto 5 kg a month but in ramadan i wasn't able to. Maybe it had to do with slowing down of metabolic rate? I was able to lose only two kg.

Beardo
09-21-2009, 04:02 AM
I get nervous before Taraweeh, so I don't eat much until Khatam.

But after that... I go all out.

BlackMamba
09-21-2009, 04:09 AM
I usually lose like 5lbs in Ramadan so i guess i eat less overall. There are times throughout the month where I totally go all out, but overall its less.

Ramadhan
09-21-2009, 04:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
one tends to eat more in ramadan simply because of the many hours between sehri and aftar. After ramadan, eating is more balanced. I saw that normally i can lower my intake & lose upto 5 kg a month but in ramadan i wasn't able to. Maybe it had to do with slowing down of metabolic rate? I was able to lose only two kg.
Our metabolic rate definitely slow down during ramadan.

Hayaa
09-21-2009, 07:18 AM

I'd say less overall, but in the middle of Ramadan, I had a crazy obsession with falooda- I had it after taraweeh every day for a week, then eventually got over it.^

Life_Is_Short
05-31-2010, 11:23 PM
Surely, you can't possibly eat as much (at one time) to make up for your regular/normal day intake (breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner) all in one go.

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
05-31-2010, 11:53 PM
I dont eat much in morning neither evening even if i set my mind on something... but i drink aloooooooooot of water (mayb abit less than a camel):skeleton: so thats the main reason why i personally cant eatttt!!:skeleton:

tw009
06-01-2010, 12:32 AM
I get so full after Iftaar that I have a hard time praying Maghrib ;D

Salam:)
07-14-2010, 07:00 AM
Wa alaykum Saalam,
Sometimes in Ramadhan I play sport ):
And I get hungry and thirsty and Eat quiet a lot,
But this Ramadhan Insha'Allah, I will not eat a lot as I have read some Hadith's about how much the Prophet (saw) ate, Insha'Allah if I come accross them I will post them here.

ayesha.ansari
08-04-2010, 09:56 AM
No more eating makes you sleep more and is wasting your time and health. food should be light in Ramadan so that you can worship or do prayers more and easily.

al Iskander
08-05-2010, 10:23 AM
In sha'Allah , this year I hope to eat less than the last .

If I can't , next year .:statisfie

Assalam alaykoum .

Abu Zainab
08-05-2010, 10:35 AM
We tend to eat the most unhealthy foods during Ramadan. I know its impossible to avoid fried delicacies altogether but at least lets try to keep the oil consumption to a minimum. Unhealthy oil is the major cause of many diseases including diabetes, high BP etc. Wherever we can we should substitute frying with baking.

Xx.Cherries.xX
08-13-2010, 03:24 PM
I don't know about you, but i usually can't even get up after i eat :-[

Woodrow
08-13-2010, 03:35 PM

I think too many of us do not really fast, we simply shift the meal times. Sadly we then turn the meal into "PARTY TIME"

If we find we are eating more during Ramadan, perhaps it is time to rethink if we are actually fasting?

cat eyes
08-13-2010, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

I think too many of us do not really fast, we simply shift the meal times. Sadly we then turn the meal into "PARTY TIME"

If we find we are eating more during Ramadan, perhaps it is time to rethink if we are actually fasting?
i agree. i think that people tend to get more greedy about feeding there own bellies during ramadhan then any other time and forgetting about whats important

alhamdulilah i don't over eat. i practically don't eat that much just enough to fill my stomach.

Snowflake
08-13-2010, 10:17 PM
I can't eat much at iftari. My tummy shrinks after all those hours without food. Overall I'm eating less in ramadhan but been having buttery paratahs for suhoor as they keep you going for hours. I'm not faring well this Ramadhan. Severe headaches, fever, chills everything.. hamdulillah just started to ease a while ago but not totally gone. I thank Allah it's a means to wipe away our sins, otherwise I felt like banging my head against the wall.

format_quote Originally Posted by tw009
I get so full after Iftaar that I have a hard time praying Maghrib ;D
Just eat a few dates and have a drink then go to pray first. I guarantee you will feel satisfied on a few dates and a drink. You also feel relaxed knowing you don't have to rush to go to pray.

جوري
08-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Do you eat more during Ramadhan?
No, I use the month to give my body bowel rest and the rest of me spiritual growth if at all possible.. some years I am really feeling it and some years no.. I haven't been able to get into the Ramadan mode yet, but hopefully that will all change soon..

Ğħαrєєвαħ
08-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Aslaamu`Alaaykum

I try to eat as much to fill my stomach, and so that i can pray salaah InshaAllaah
It scares me to think about how i am going to pray if i eat soo much, so like someone posted as the Prophet pbuh adviced to leave room for air.
I agree with brother Woodrow, when it comes to Iftaar "some" of us lose it SubhaanAllaah we forget about the true reasons of fasting and ask ourselves did i really fulfil the reasons of my fast? will this benefit me?

Wa`Alaaykum Salaam

tango92
08-13-2010, 11:04 PM
ive already lost like 4 pounds, every yr i drop nearly a stone. so i reckon i have a gud enough reason to eat a bit extra

Maryan0
08-13-2010, 11:16 PM
I eat way way too much. I guess that defeats the whole point of fasting since it's a time to reflect and learn how people who dont eat much feel. I'll make the intention to eat a little but when I see all the food my resolve leaves.
Salam

Vigno
08-14-2010, 04:10 AM
Asalamu Alekum

Well, absolutely not, I eat less alhamdulilah, just what I need to get power to pray.

ابن آل مرة
08-14-2010, 06:21 AM
So far, just snack for breaking my fast is sufficient for me alhamdulillah. I just eat 3 dates with almonds(gotta have almonds with it), and water. Allah puts the barakah in that little meal and Im done. If I still need something, I just eat little snack such as pakora and all that lol. I try my best not to eat before taraweeh because its a distraction during the prayer.

Vigno
08-14-2010, 01:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed M.
So far, just snack for breaking my fast is sufficient for me alhamdulillah. I just eat 3 dates with almonds(gotta have almonds with it), and water. Allah puts the barakah in that little meal and Im done. If I still need something, I just eat little snack such as pakora and all that lol. I try my best not to eat before taraweeh because its a distraction during the prayer.
Jazaka Allah khiir Ahmed M, your answer is pretty fascinating =), I hope all muslims think and do like you inshallah

Danah
08-14-2010, 01:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi Mansur

I was just wondering, during Ramadhan do you actually end up eating more food overall because you eat more at night to make up for going without food and drink during the day?

Thanks for your responses.

I am eating less, and I really wondering on those who eat more in Ramadan. Just how can some people keep felling their stomachs all the night like that. Its just sickening the stomach when you need to give it a break.

Vigno
08-14-2010, 07:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah

I am eating less, and I really wondering on those who eat more in Ramadan. Just how can some people keep felling their stomachs all the night like that. Its just sickening the stomach when you need to give it a break.
Precisely!
Here's a bonus from me!
Ramadan's Worldly Desires

Fill fill tummy
Tomorrow is quite sunny,
and we shall feel hungry
Yet have no worry
At night, we receive our bounty
Food and drink, with no boundary
And prayers, we do humbly
Our sleep, with snores sounding
Hearts asleep, yet pounding
Are we alive or dead? A question quite challenging!

cat eyes
08-15-2010, 04:35 PM
we are trying to get through ramadhan without thinking about food for once and seriously these threads are not helping in any way people!!

_Jannah_
08-15-2010, 04:37 PM
we eat less and gain more weight...

Abdul Wahid
08-15-2010, 05:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by _Jannah_
we eat less and gain more weight...
Lol. Gain more weight but your eating less. :hmm:

Alhumdulillah I don't eat that much. After opening the fast with dates and fruit. It's time for Maghrib. Then I l have a light munch after Maghrib.

No use stuffing yourself. You tend to get lazier and Taraweeh would be awkward with a full stomach. Eating less has its benefit. No distractions & you can concentrate better when praying

The best thing is that I don't feel hungry during the day Alhumdulillah.

Neelofar
08-15-2010, 05:50 PM
i eat less [i hope] buh i don't feel any thinner! :p

Abu Zainab
08-15-2010, 11:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Neelofar
i eat less [i hope] buh i don't feel any thinner! :p
Try to do some walking....about 30-40 mins everyday. It will do wonders believe me. And it will make your mood better too.

_Jannah_
08-16-2010, 01:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Wahid
Lol. Gain more weight but your eating less. :hmm:

Alhumdulillah I don't eat that much. After opening the fast with dates and fruit. It's time for Maghrib. Then I l have a light munch after Maghrib.

No use stuffing yourself. You tend to get lazier and Taraweeh would be awkward with a full stomach. Eating less has its benefit. No distractions & you can concentrate better when praying

The best thing is that I don't feel hungry during the day Alhumdulillah.
thats a good plan...normally my mum makes oily-ish foods and she serves it in big portions n we end up eating it all, i think thats y

NadiaR
08-22-2010, 01:57 AM
Salaam... Hope this Ramadan is going GREAT!!

Seeing as we're on about food here, there's an article from productiveramadan.com- control your diet!!

One of the most frequently asked questions by Muslims to nutrition experts is how can I workout and eat properly while I am fasting? Most people see the blessed month of Ramadan as a time when they will surely lose strength and or muscle mass and some people think that the best they can do is “maintain” their weight/muscles during this month.
This cannot be further from the truth. In fact, if you use some of the strategies I am about to share with you, you can make some of your best gains during this month!

It’s all about maximizing nutrient uptake, maintaining proper hydration, and modifying key fat burning/muscle building hormones in your favor during this month. And of course PREPARATION—If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail!

Plus, how can you truly maximize this month spiritually if your body is sick, tired, and your mind isn’t sharp?

First of all, let’s look at what happens to your body during Ramadan. While you are fasting, obviously you become more dehydrated at rest—but actually less than if you had exercised aerobically for over an hour (so exercise causes greater dehydration for that time period versus fasting). Your main metabolic fuel source for bodily function during fasting is mainly fat, which is a good thing. So the goals during Ramadhan are to maximize metabolism (even though your metabolism will slow down due to less frequent meals), preserve and enhance as much lean muscle mass as possible (which will inherently increase metabolic rate and allow you to burn more calories at rest), and maximize your workout (both cardio and weight training).

During Ramadan, depending on your goals, I really recommend that you limit cardio to 2 days a week at the most. This is again to preserve as much lean muscle tissue as possible. There is actually research showing the health benefits of fasting. It is truly a physical purification. According to a study published in the reputable European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the researchers concluded that “no detrimental effects on health have as yet been directly attributed to negative water balance at the levels that may be produced in Ramadan.” Other research has actually shown cardiovascular benefits of fasting during Ramadan—that is if you can avoid the IBS (no, not irritable bowel syndrome) but the dreaded Iftar Binging Syndrome! It is vital to eat moderate to small meals even after iftar.

Ok, enough of the background, let’s get to the meat of it! I am going to set the record straight here.
The best time to do a weight training workout is NOT while fasting.
This can create way too much muscle breakdown.Training while in a state of dehydration can decrease strength significantly. Training while you are fasting can actually be more detrimental than beneficial!

The best time to weight train during Ramadhan is after Taraweh prayers at night.
This will ensure that you will have several meals and plenty of water in your system before going to the gym. This will also allow you to consume your all-important post workout meal or shake which is essential to muscle growth and even fat loss. If this is too late then the next best time to weight train is about 1 hour after Iftar before taraweh prayer. You could do a short but intense 30 minute workout.

The best time to do cardio work for maximum fat loss is before suhur. Of course, most people I know will not want to get up at around 3: 30 AM and do cardio! If youCAN pull this off then the best thing to do is get up and drink plenty of water with a cup of coffee, green tea, or oolong tea, wait 30 minutes and perform 30-45 minutes of moderate intensity cardio work like a brisk walk on a treadmill.

Short, high intensity cardio like SPRINTING IS ACTUALLY GREAT TO DO DURING RAMADAN. It takes less than 10 minutes and provides maximum benefit in terms of fat burning and lean muscle preservation! This isn’t “driving miss Daisy” cardio—its very intensive-Ex. Sprint for 20-30 sec at full speed (like a dog is chasing you!) and walk for 1 min. Do 4-5 cycles like that and you’re good! Start slow of course and work your way up.
[DISCLAIMER: The content of this article is for information purposes only. Please consult a physician before starting any nutrition, training, or supplementation program]

Part 2--- read it on productiveramadan.com

Subscirbe for daily articles and productivity tips--- you dont want to miss out!

Woodrow
08-22-2010, 02:48 AM

A few things are bothering me. Rather then addressing them I will just ask a few questions.

1. What is meant by fasting?

2. Is switching the meal time from a daylight hour to a night time hour truly fasting?

3. How can we have Iftar, support our fasting?

4, Does fasting really mean Iftar is "PARTY TIME"

أحمد
08-22-2010, 02:59 AM

I think some of us maybe eating more during Ramadhan than in other months; for some it means eating twice a day instead of once.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.