/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Living alone?

'Abd-al Latif
09-21-2009, 09:28 PM
:salamext:

What kind of psychological effects can a person suffer from if he lives alone?

This could be anybody such as people in prison, an orphan, or even a person living alone in an apartment etc.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
09-22-2009, 04:33 AM
:wasalamex
i dont think it necessarily has to do with living alone per se, but rather the interaction one has with others.
so if one lives alone and doesn't socialize and see anybody, then yes i think that could be problematic as it could lead to social anxiety disorders where one feels scared and intimidated of people and has trouble socializing and communicating with them.

'Abd-al Latif
09-22-2009, 11:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
:wasalamex
i dont think it necessarily has to do with living alone per se, but rather the interaction one has with others.
so if one lives alone and doesn't socialize and see anybody, then yes i think that could be problematic as it could lead to social anxiety disorders where one feels scared and intimidated of people and has trouble socializing and communicating with them.
Yeah, the socializing part was what I meant since prisoners don't really have anybody visiting them apart from maybe their spouses or close friends, if that.

What kind of effects can this have on the mind of an individual?

Ummu Sufyaan
09-22-2009, 11:55 AM
:sl:
What kind of effects can this have on the mind of an individual?
just note, im not a psychologist or anything but these are my random thoughts.

i think it'll affect a persons psychology in that it'll make a person notice things about themselves that weren't there and that would really affect their mental well being as a result. for example (i know this may seen far fetched )sometimes weird thoughts and opinions about ourselves may creep up upon us if we have too much time on our hands. its like when you have nothing to do and suddenly you find yourself cleaning the house even though it may be already clean.

so, an indiviual in isolation may notice, or more like image negative aspects about them, that weren't there to begin with, due to the fact that they have nothing else to do to preoccupy themselves with.

imagine that you had nobody to talk to and are in isolation. the next best thing would be to talk to yourself, right? the human mind works 24/7! and in isolation it wont be any different. the only difference will be is the way these thoughts, emotions and feelings are expressed and manifested.

but sometimes being alone is the best though as it will awaken your soul to do more ibaadah...

Social isolation is the pervasive withdrawal or avoidance of social contact or communication. It can contribute toward many emotional, behavioural and physical disorders including anxiety, panic attacks, eating disorders, addictions, substance abuse, violent behaviour and overall disease.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_isolation

for more info, just type in "isolation+psychological affects"into google.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Somaiyah
09-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Salam,
I am living alone in an apartment...or well I have my hamster as a company :) And since I talk to this hamster as if he was a real person everyday I guess I must suffer from some serious psychological problems... Otherwise it goes great, I live alone because I am studying far away from where my parents live. I had no option. Besides I am 19 years and it goes great, my sister lives in another apartment 1 minute away from me so if we need eachother we're close. But so far everything goes fine and it's easy to live alone. I have more freedom alone since my family aren't Muslims...

cat eyes
09-22-2009, 11:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by J Aaliyah
Salam,
I am living alone in an apartment...or well I have my hamster as a company :) And since I talk to this hamster as if he was a real person everyday I guess I must suffer from some serious psychological problems... Otherwise it goes great, I live alone because I am studying far away from where my parents live. I had no option. Besides I am 19 years and it goes great, my sister lives in another apartment 1 minute away from me so if we need eachother we're close. But so far everything goes fine and it's easy to live alone. I have more freedom alone since my family aren't Muslims...
lol but your lucky you have your sis living near Alhamdulilah not every1 is that lucky and also its your age. its when you get older thats when it really scares a person when they come into your twenties you will see yourself, for some reason it has an effect in human. i mean you can go and see your friends when there free but at the end of the day your coming home to an empty house :'( its scary feeling.

Salahudeen
09-23-2009, 06:28 AM
it ain't nice waking up and not seeing any1s face or talking to some 1, till you go out. When your living with family you can moan at them to hurry up in the bathroom lol.

'Abd-al Latif
09-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Interesting.

But doesn't living alone ever give you the time to contemplate over the feeling that you're missing something in your life? A feeling incompleteness perhaps?

obedient-muslim
09-23-2009, 10:34 PM
I would love to live alone and experience atleast once how does it feel like but I am sure after a while I'll be packing my goods to go back home due to the loneliness. ;)

alcurad
09-23-2009, 10:51 PM
if for too long, permanent mental damage, if not for too long, the usual ie. depression etc.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-24-2009, 06:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
Interesting.

But doesn't living alone ever give you the time to contemplate over the feeling that you're missing something in your life? A feeling incompleteness perhaps?
i think it would depend on the person and what (if anything) he/she would preoccupy themselves with. i mean if you have nothing to do, then yes you probably would feel that something is missing.

Somaiyah
09-26-2009, 08:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
lol but your lucky you have your sis living near Alhamdulilah not every1 is that lucky and also its your age. its when you get older thats when it really scares a person when they come into your twenties you will see yourself, for some reason it has an effect in human. i mean you can go and see your friends when there free but at the end of the day your coming home to an empty house :'( its scary feeling.
Sure sometimes I feel very lonely, but when I have been out all day at university and in the city or seeing people, it feels great to come home to a totally quite and empty place and just be alone. That's how I see it. At the same time I am not against marriage lol, but it would affect the studies I believe. What I mean is simply that there are positive and negative sides of both living alone and not living alone. In a couple of years sure I don't want to live alone anymore.

'Abd-al Latif
09-26-2009, 09:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by J Aaliyah
Sure sometimes I feel very lonely..
Could you describe why this is?

Somaiyah
09-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Could you describe why this is?
It's not always funny to have nobody to speak to if something had happened who can't answer you or give advices. Or nobody to cheer you up if you're down or nobody to do funny things with if you're bored. Another person can often help you if something happened or if you're down or bored, but when you're alone you have to deal with everything yourself and just try to be positive anyway. And for me I have some special private problems the past month because I am a convert which I don't really want to tell, but when some things happen all I have is Allah (swt) to talk to or Internet to be on. But sometimes you need contact with a human being who can talk to you back for real and not on Internet.

transition?
09-26-2009, 09:16 PM
There was literary work called the "Necessity of Loneliness." by Gao, translated into English. I feel like we need loneliness to an extent.

That sense of incompleteness, the sense of missing something or someone, the sense of not belonging.....
isn't that what this Dunya is about? The world around isn't the perfect place for us, our final destination is the Jannah (InshaAllah). That when we're alone, we realize what we do have.... Allah (swt). Allah Alone Suffices us. There are good and bad things about the dunya and we will come in contact with the bad things, but we can overcome it, by faith, because we never are alone. We always have Allah (swt).

'Abd-al Latif
09-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Interesting masha'Allah.

So heres a big question. Can human beings live alone and do we really need each other to survive?

Salahudeen
09-27-2009, 09:53 AM
^I think I'd start talking to myself and having conversations with myself, "how are you today squiggle?" "I am well how are you" LOL talking is a great stress relief for me.

ژاله
09-27-2009, 09:58 AM
i would love to live alone for a while if i get a chance, but not for too long like a year or so, that would make me nuts.

Somaiyah
09-27-2009, 12:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
^I think I'd start talking to myself and having conversations with myself, "how are you today squiggle?" "I am well how are you" LOL talking is a great stress relief for me.
Yeah I do that from time to time, and I have just lived alone for one month :statisfie

transition?
09-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Interesting masha'Allah.

So heres a big question. Can human beings live alone and do we really need each other to survive?
To certain extent we do depend on this dunya to survive. Islam's purpose is in a way to balance this dunya and the Hereafter. Muslims, in fact, are meant create a civilization, a caliphate, on Earth.

It reminds me of Maslow's hierarchy of needs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ma...y_of_Needs.svg

But in Islam, when we are lacking in something, we depend on Allah (swt). At moments of imbalance, we keep our "self actualization" or faith(dependence on Allah (swt)) and then we have sabr until Allah creates ease after our hardship.

GuestFellow
09-27-2009, 05:19 PM
I feel like I live alone. I don't talk to anyone at home.

transition?
09-27-2009, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
I feel like I live alone. I don't talk to anyone at home.
Friends are those who benefit our imaan, I believe that's the way Islam recognizes friendship. I don't think it's really friendship as it's considered "Islamic brotherhood" or "Islamic sisterhood." Tell me, now, how many people nowadays actually help us reach Jannah?

I feel the same way sometimes, but I see it as a blessing. I feel like as long as I'm getting closer to the Hereafter and my faith is increasing. I'm satisfied. At times, it can be disheartening. But either way, it's difficult. You have to deal with people when you with people and when you aren't with people you have to deal with loneliness.

But a great way to get good deeds is establishing relationships and friendships so other people can learn from you and you can learn from them.

Muhaba
09-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Human beings need each other to survive. While some can survive alone longer than others, all need others (family, friends, even a group to belong to). Belongingness needs is one of maslow's five human needs pyramid. If these needs alren't fulfilled the person starts to feel ill, even mentally. Maslow had himself recognized that most of his patients' problems were due to their needs not being fulfilled. Having one's needs fulfilled can improve a person's mental condition & meeting ppl/friends from time to time can improve a person's health, self-esteem, etc. Talking to ppl online may help somewhat but i don't think it can replace face-to-face meeting.

Long periods alone can affect a person in devastatingly while short periods of solitude can be healthy.

Sensory deprivation refers to any major reduction in the amount or variety of sensory stimulation.

What happens when stimulation is greatly reduced? A hint comes from reports by prisoners in solitary confinement, arctic explorers, high-altitude pilots, long-distance truck drivers, and radar operators. When faced with limited or monotonous stimulation, people sometimes have bizarre sensations, dangerous lapses in attention, and distorted perceptions.... On the other hand, brief sensory deprivation induces deep relaxation... causes a large drop in blood pressure, muscle tension, and other signs of stress. Psychologists have also found that mild sensory deprivation can help ppl quit smoking, lose weight, and reduce their use of alcohol and drugs. Psychology - A modular Approach to Mind and Behavior, p. 236

'Abd-al Latif
09-28-2009, 09:06 AM
^

Who is Maslow?

syilla
09-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Sometimes i'm jealouse of those who have lots of friends other than families... their networking is so good, they have lots of information and tips, they are mostly updated with the latest news and stuffs, more able to adapt to different type of humans behaviour and attitude.

If they need any mentor or tips...they sure knows how to find one from friends... and me?? from googling huhuhu....

Muhaba
09-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Brother Abd-Al-Latif, Abraham Maslow (1908-1970) was the founder of humanistic psychology. He described the hierarchy of human needs which consist of physiological needs, safety & security needs, love & belongingness needs, esteem & self esteem needs, and self-actualization needs.

@ Syilla - I get a lot of info from books. i think it's one of the best & most comprehensive source.

Ramadhan
09-28-2009, 01:48 PM
I think short periods of solitory can benefit, as has been explained in the previous posts.
Rasulullah Muhammad SAW used to seek solitude in Hiraa cave many days and nights for a number of years before the first revelation, enabling him to contemplate and worship God without being encumbered by worldly events and influences.

syilla
09-29-2009, 12:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
@ Syilla - I get a lot of info from books. i think it's one of the best & most comprehensive source.
true...you can have lots of information from the books...

but sometimes other people experiences and knowledge share are very much important too...

like the motherhood...huhuhu

transition?
09-29-2009, 02:45 AM
I was thinking more about this.....

Without people, knowledge barely spreads. I mean there is so much you can learn from books. But the Prophet (sws) was a "walking Quran." The beauty of the Quran is shown through people who inspire us to improve ourselves. Social education is key in Islamic living.
How would we get our good deeds? Verily, we were made from different groups so we may come together and benefit from each other right?

In a sense, people are required for growth/development in our lives.

We can't live entirely as a recluse and still become a good Muslim. We are meant to interact and learn from each other. Because between ourselves, lies beauty and affection, which is something Allah (swt) has honored us.

transition?
09-29-2009, 02:47 AM
Human beings need each other to survive. While some can survive alone longer than others, all need others (family, friends, even a group to belong to). Belongingness needs is one of maslow's five human needs pyramid. If these needs alren't fulfilled the person starts to feel ill, even mentally. Maslow had himself recognized that most of his patients' problems were due to their needs not being fulfilled. Having one's needs fulfilled can improve a person's mental condition & meeting ppl/friends from time to time can improve a person's health, self-esteem, etc. Talking to ppl online may help somewhat but i don't think it can replace face-to-face meeting.

Long periods alone can affect a person in devastatingly while short periods of solitude can be healthy.

True, and someone stated above the Prophet is the best example and he took only short periods of solitude.

Luthfox
09-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Sometimes i'm jealouse of those who have lots of friends other than families... their networking is so good, they have lots of information and tips, they are mostly updated with the latest news and stuffs, more able to adapt to different type of humans behaviour and attitude.

I live alone for 4 years in a sort of apartment. And I can't adapt well with friends in my college too. Ang guess what, I'm late about info. However, I often give a portion of my snack to my neighbours and have a simple conversation. Maybe I'm not getting any network or news from that for my future, but... I'm feeling happy.

I do believe that how your environment sees you is not the same with how He sees you. If you're a good person in His eye or if He favors you, then, is there anything He can't do?

'Abd-al Latif
09-29-2009, 02:37 PM

I've been doing research on this topic and I just so happen to come across this article. Any comments?

Advice and guidelines for someone who cannot mix with people and prefers to stay home alone

Q.I cannot bear to mix with people and I prefer to be alone. I feel that I am in a state of distress when I mix with others. The Messenger (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) commanded us to pray in the mosque. What should I do? I would rather not pray than pray in the mosque.

A.Praise be to Allaah.

The situation you are in does not only have to do with praying in the mosque, rather it has to do with other duties which require you to go out of the house, such as upholding ties of kinship, earning money so that you can live, seeking knowledge, enjoining what is good, forbidding what is evil, and so on.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

The fact of the matter is that mixing may sometimes be obligatory or mustahabb. An individual may be enjoined to mix with others sometimes and to remain alone sometimes. That depends on the purpose. If mixing with others is for the purpose of cooperating in righteousness and piety, then it is enjoined; but if it is for the purpose of cooperating in sin and transgression, then it is forbidden. Mixing with Muslims is a kind of worship, as in the case of the five daily prayers, Jumu’ah, Eid, eclipse prayers, prayers for rain and so on. This is something that Allah and His Messenger (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) have enjoined. The same applies to mixing with them on Hajj and when fighting the kuffaar and rebels, even if the leaders of that are evildoers and even if there are some evildoers among the people involved.

The same applies to being involved in gatherings that increase a person's faith, either because he benefits from these gatherings or he can benefit others, and so on.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 10/425

Thus you can see that the way you are is something that is not pleasing to the Lord of the Worlds, and you have to look again at the situation and realise that what you are doing is a trick from the shaytaan who is making your situation and your bad deed look good to you. Beware of him and his tricks, and get ready to fight him, and trust that your Lord will help you by granting victory against him.

If you feel distress when mixing with people, then we can be certain that you will never be better off on your own or in isolation. Rather the wolf eats the sheep that wanders off from the flock and the shaytaan overpowers those who are solitary and do not have helpers to help them obey their Lord or supporters who will support them against the shaytaan and his troops. Even if you find some annoyance in mixing with people, that mixing, if you bear it with patience, is still better than not mixing. The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) praised the one who mixes with people and bears their annoyance with patience.

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: The Messenger of Allaah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “The believer who mixes with people and bears their annoyance with patience will have a greater reward than the one who does not mix with people and does not put up with their annoyance.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (5207) and Ibn Maajah (4032).

Moreover, there is no reason for your isolation and you do not have -- as far as we can see -- any justification for which we would encourage you to remain like that. We feel that any isolation which results in you not praying jumu’ah for prayers in congregation is not acceptable and we do not encourage it.

Some of the reasons for isolation include total corruption of people, lack of people to support you in adhering to the truth, each person admiring his own opinion, and lack of benefit in sincerely advising people. By Allah's grace, none of these are applicable in Muslim societies or even in kaafir societies. We have heard of thousands of kuffaar who are entering the religion of Allah all the time, and we hear of others like them, sinners who have begun to follow the path of guidance. Indeed we find that people are thirsting for those who will quench their thirst and they are hungry for those who will feed them, in spiritual terms of goodness and guidance.

As for your justification for isolation, namely shar’i knowledge, we do not think this is the case. You are preferring isolation to the kind of mixing that is obligatory, so if you are neglecting Islamic duties because of this isolation of yours, what kind of sha’i knowledge do you have so that we could tell you to keep away from people and focus on obeying your Lord and preserving your religious commitment? Hence Abu Sulaymaan al-Khattaabi (may Allah have mercy on him) said: Isolation only benefits scholars and wise men, but it is the most harmful of things for the ignorant. And he narrated from Ibraaheem that he said to Mugheerah: Acquire deep understanding of Islam, then you can isolate yourself.

See: al-‘Azlah by al-Khattaabi, p. 225

As you have written to us -- and we appreciate that -- this means that you are still holding on to a thread and the beginning of the right way to bring you out of this fatal loneliness. You have entered the world of the Internet, which is millions of times greater than your small world that you have forsaken. In this vast world there is far more evil than in your forsaken world. So beware of that, for how much temptation it has caused to righteous people and how much evil it has caused to righteous and chaste women.

Strive to do the acts of worship which Allah has enjoined on you, first and foremost among which is praying in congregation in the mosque. In the answer to question number 120 you will find the evidence for this duty. You also have to earn permissible income so as to protect your dignity and spare you from having to ask of people, and so that you can honour your parents and take care of them and help them to buy what they need or help them to get to the places they want to go, and uphold ties of kinship with your family and relatives.

You should remember that this world will never be free of hardships, worries and distress. If you want a place where there is none of these things, with complete happiness and ease, a good life and the pleasure of Allah, then you will find that in the Paradise of Allah in the Hereafter. So strive for that Day and rid yourself of that which may cause you distress in this world by reducing your involvement in it; ask Allah to help you to attain that, and remember that isolating oneself is nothing more than being alone with the Shaytaan, and it will only bring you more worries and distress. Do you not see that the punishment of imprisonment is painful for the free man, and the worst form of it is solitary confinement? So how can you prefer for yourself that which prisoners would sacrifice that which is most dear to them in order to escape?

We ask Allah to guide you to the truth and to help you to follow the path of the righteous among His slaves; were it not for the fact that Allah decreed that they should mix with people and establish acts of worship, we and you would not have known Islam or had the honour of belonging to it. So become one of the troops of Islam, wield your weapon in the face of your shaytaan and make up for what you have missed by striving hard and doing acts of worship on a solid basis.

And Allah is the source of strength.

Islam Q&A

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/126845

Al Mu'minaat
09-29-2009, 02:48 PM

This could be anybody such as people in prison, an orphan, or even a person living alone in an apartment etc.
Aslamlakium wa rahamtulah wa barakatu..

I dont really know, i think it's depression or anxiety.. but the cure for this is in this quote, i think it's in the quran:

"In the rememberance of ALlah, do hearts find peace".. :statisfie

Muhaba
09-29-2009, 04:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by transition?
In a sense, people are required for growth/development in our lives.

We can't live entirely as a recluse and still become a good Muslim. We are meant to interact and learn from each other. Because between ourselves, lies beauty and affection, which is something Allah (swt) has honored us.
yes & what i wrote in my first post.

cat eyes
09-29-2009, 05:51 PM

are you plaining to live alone bro?:)

'Abd-al Latif
09-29-2009, 09:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
are you plaining to live alone bro?:)
No, just something I want to research on.

Muhaba
09-29-2009, 11:57 PM
What kind of information are you looking for?

'Abd-al Latif
09-30-2009, 12:06 AM
What kind of information are you looking for?
I want to know the physical and psychological effects of living alone. I want to have a better idea of how prisoners feel when they are in locked up in solitary confinement and what not.

Or even just to gain a better understanding of the negative effects of excessive solitude.

Muhaba
09-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Here's one article about effects of sensory deprivation. http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle3209803.ece

If you search for "long-term effects of sensory deprivation" you can find others.

syilla
09-30-2009, 01:12 AM
Jazakallah khayr for sharing with us the article... i've learnt alot from it :)

Ummu Sufyaan
09-30-2009, 11:28 AM
I've been doing research on this topic and I just so happen to come across this article. Any comments?
I cannot bear to mix with people and I prefer to be alone. I feel that I am in a state of distress when I mix with others. The Messenger (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) commanded us to pray in the mosque. What should I do? I would rather not pray than pray in the mosque.
it sounds like he/she is very timid.

I want to know the physical and psychological effects of living alone. I want to have a better idea of how prisoners feel when they are in locked up in solitary confinement and what not.

Or even just to gain a better understanding of the negative effects of excessive solitude.
you should really get in touch with a canceler or something to give you a more clear and correct opinion. i have no doubt that research and studies would have been done concerning these issues so the councilor would give a more accurate perspective. just explain what you are interested in and see if they are available for an appointment or something. im not sure if they let other then their patients in, but i think it would be worth a shot.

alternatively, you could look up studies yourself (maybe you could ask the councilor when you see them for what exactly to look up?) that have been conducted on people in isolation, namely prisons. im sure there would be something good available.

Luthfox
09-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Advice and guidelines for someone who cannot mix with people and prefers to stay home alone

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle3209803.ece
Subhanallah, people is given their own path and their own solution. Jazakallah Khayr.

'Abd-al Latif
10-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Q: Is it better for one to seclude himself from the people, or to mix with them?

A: This issue – even though the people have differed over it, either partially or entirely – the reality of it is that mixing with the people is sometimes obligatory or recommended. The same individual can sometimes be commanded to mix with others, and can at other times be commanded to seclude himself.

Mixing, if it involves cooperation upon good and piety, is obligatory, and if it involves cooperation upon sin and transgression, is forbidden. Mixing with the Muslims for the purpose of congregational acts of worship, such as the five prayers, the Friday prayer, the ‘Eid prayer, the eclipse prayer, the prayer for rain (istisqa’), etc., is from what Allah and His Messenger commanded…

…likewise, a gathering in which the worshipper can increase his faith – either because of it benefiting him, or his being of benefit to it – is of the same category.

However, a person must have time by himself to engage in supplication, remembrance, prayer, reflection, taking himself to account, and rectifying his heart. These are issues that nobody else can participate with him in, and these are affairs that need to be seen to on an individual basis, whether that be at home or otherwise, as Tawus said: “How excellent of a refuge is the home! In it, one can restrain his gaze and his tongue.”

So, choosing to mix with people unrestrictedly is wrong, and choosing to seclude yourself from people unrestrictedly is wrong.

[‘Majmu' al-Fatawa'; 10/218]

http://portraitofatraveller.wordpress.com/

Ummu Sufyaan
01-20-2010, 03:32 AM
here is something kind of related :(

. . . I usually awaken at the sound of the guard's clanking keys as he does his rounds through the unit. Ever since an inmate committed suicide down here a few weeks ago, rounds have become more frequent to ensure nobody else follows suit. Isolation can be quite difficult to cope with, and some simply cannot.

After two weeks, I finally became accustomed to waking up in a prison cell. At first, my surroundings - the metal sink/ toilet, the steel bed frame, the cold temperature, the constant clanking of keys and shackle chains coming from the hallway - served as reality checks as to where I was after I expected to see the familiar sights of my bedroom. This is no longer the case. I rub my eyes; looking around, my cell is pitch black except for the pale orange flow of the floodlights that dot the perimeter of the prison, faintly creeping in through the narrow window that looks out towards the razor-wired fence that customarily surrounds most prisons around the world.

My first order of business is to find out the time, since watches, clocks, calendars, etc. are all forbidden down here. I rush out of bed to catch the guard before he leaves the unit, calling out to him from behind my cell door: "Hey, C.O. (correctional officer)! Time?" "Four." Perfect, as it leaves me a good hour and a half to pray before Fajr time comes in. After being used to depending on an alarm clock to wake up. I've managed to wake up early nearly every morning and been able to take advantage of the well-known pre-dawn blessings, thanks to Allah, without one here.

After performing wudu', I begin to pray. I don't stop until I hear the guard make three more rounds - my signal that the hour and a half until Fajr time has passed (each round is 30 min).

Thus begins my days as a prisoner here at the Plymouth Correctional Facility. An essential part of staying strong in prison was to first establish a personalized and stimulating schedule for my days and nights to do away with the routine and bland pattern of life in here. In his memoir, Nelson Mandela says: "Prison life is about routine: each day like the one before; each week like the one before it, so that the months and years blend into each other... Losing a sense of time is an easy way to lose one's grip and even one's sanity." So, this helps in distinguishing one hour from the other, one day from the other, maintaining a sense of connection to reality. The second aspect of having your own personal schedule is to maintain your own humanity and individuality. Again, Mandela says: " Prison is designed to break one's spirit and destroy one's resolve. To do this, the authorities attempt to exploit every weakness, demolish every initiative, negate all signs of individuality - all with the idea of stamping out that spark that makes each of us human and each of us who we are... Ultimately, we had to create our own lives in prison." And this is exactly what I am experiencing here. Prison, I've found, is like a vacuum. It sucks away whatever life, relations, pleasures, tasks, concerns, etc. you had on the outside and replaces it with nothing - nothing except what you decide to replace it with. I've found that the main struggle in prison is to avoid being sucked into that void, which is the very nature and essence of the place! A writer to me summed it up quite well, saying: "... the whole point of the constrictions that the prison puts on people is to erase part of - if not all - their identities to consume them as part of an institutionary machine which rotates on exact hours in exact locations. Forcing out choices mean forcing out of personalities and ideas. Thus, within the prison system, that makes sense, because this is the goal..."

The challenge is to counter this within the confines of the narrow limitations that my conditions here force upon me. I realized early on that since I had very little in here, I would have to learn to make the best of it. I would have to learn to extract every last ounce of benefit, pleasure, and strength from whatever was available. As they say, I would have to take (sour) lemons and make lemonade. This is a maximum security prison, which means it's not like in the movies where I can go outside to an open yard to lift weights, play baseball, or work in a metal shop. Rather, every minute aspect of life here is incredibly supervised and regulated. Strip searches are constant. Shake downs are random. I am restricted to limitations in my daily affairs that are often devoid of logic, to the extent that a plastic bag used to collect trash in our cells is considered to be contraband and is forbidden. Nothing comes in or goes out except regular mail. From the moment I was booked to the moment I will be released ( O Allah, hasten it), I will never set foot out in the open without a barrier between me and the sky. Even when I leave the prison for a court hearing, I am loaded into the van in the prison garage and am unloaded in the court garage, fully shackled the entire time

This all applies to general population prisoners, but these population units are quite relaxed compared to Unit G. Unit G (the isolation unit) is a prison within the prison, and this is where I've been since first arriving. I am on lockdown 23 hrs. each day, which means I'm let out for an hour a day (population gets eight hrs.); I'm in solitary (population inmates have cellmates); my hour outside my cell is spent alone as well. So, it is an existence devoid of substantial human contact (population inmates have 150 other inmates in their respective units to socialize with for the duration of those eight hours). "Recreation time" consists of the freedom to take a shower, make a collect call to preapproved numbers, or walk around the unit. This is the way it is ever day, 365 days a year. الحمد لله

What does a person have to do to merit being kept down here? Some are down here for temporary discipline time for assaulting staff of fellow inmates, possession of homemade weapons, or generally exhibiting violent behavior such that they are a danger to others. Some are here to be protected from others because they fall into one of the three categories most hated & despised by even the worst criminals: rapists, child molesters, and informants. Inmates who fall into one of these three categories are universally hated across the prison, and are more often than not physically attacked, and I have seen the scars & injuries to prove it. These inmates are under what we call 'Protective Custody,' and one such inmate was just brought in last week. He is accused of raping a five year-old girl, being arrested for it, released on bail, and then raping a three year old girl. Needless to say, he is not very well-liked, especially with those who themselves have young children. Even though these guys are brought down for their safety, the other inmates here have come up with some rather creative ways of making life miserable for them. More on that later, in sha' Allah. Then you have guys like me who are here with the vague excuse that my being in isolation will "contribute to the safe and effective functionality of the facility," even though I've never been violent or involved in violence of any kind throughout my life. Admitted murderers, arsonists, home invaders, and armed robbers walk around in population; about two years ago, there was a guy brought in who'd killed a homeless man, cut off his hands, took them to a local bar, and proudly displayed them to all around him. He was not considered too dangerous to remain in population...

So, it is through these lenses that my experiences here are to be perceived. This is an environment where your senses and perceptions cannot help but to be altered and sensitized.

... I lay awake after praying, waiting for breakfast to arrive. The guards wake everyone up by slamming open the beanholes (small slits in our cell doors) through which they slide in all of our meals. I eat every meal alone, in my cell. After breakfast, I pray Fajr, and then proceed to the window to await one of the few true pleasures I have come to enjoy in here: watching the Sunrise. See, I spent the first 63 days here in cell #103. Cell #103 had the misfortune of having its window blocked by the gray wall of the adjacent wing of the unit. This meant that there was almost no access to sunlight. Furthermore, the cell was directly underneath the unit's air vent, which for some odd reason was blasting cold air 24/7 despite us being in the midst of a series of snow storms! Needless to say, it was an unpleasant experience to be locked in a cell, three paces by four, for 23 hrs. a day with no sunlight (there is no light switch, and cell lights don't come on until late afternoon), in near arctic temperatures! I had my eye on cell #108, which was in the far corner of the unit and that I could always see immersed in sunlight. For months, I put in written request after request to be moved into it, since it was usually empty. I came to realize that the prison functions like the military: very hierarchical in structure where little gets done unless you speak directly to those on top. So I was able to get my request to the unit captain, who is actually a decent individual who has a reputation for being true to his word. Later that day, i was buzzed in 103: "Mehanna, pack up your ★#@*. You're going to 108."

When I entered the cell, I was so overjoyed that I immediately performed a prostration of gratitude (sajdat shukr) to Allah. Remember what I said: in here, your senses and perceptions are altered. Your balance of what brings your mood up/ down changes. At that moment, I couldn't believe that I was finally in a cell with sunshine, where I didn't have to wear four layers of clothes to keep warm, and where, best of all, I had a perfect view of the sky & surrounding trees. I've always loved to be outdoors and enjoy nature, so at that moment, I felt like the most fortunate man on Earth. no more gray cement wall in my face 24 hrs. a day...

So, as I have done every morning since, I stand at the window and just stare. I stare at the trees, I stare at the dark blue horizon turning pink as the Sun slowly crawls up. I stare and wait patiently, anticipating one of the few times for me to lay eyes on the Sun in over two months ( I had seen it twice before when I was allowed into the cage). Finally, there it was. In this world of concrete, metal, and glass; this cesspool of vulgarity and filth devoid of any warmth, freedom, or beauty; in this bastion of captivity that suffocates the dignity of man, I was witnessing a blessing and relief. I cannot justly describe what I felt as the vivid colors of this scene - Sun, sky, clouds, trees - painted themselves before my eyes. This was a sweet reminder of life - it was something in common with life back home, and that made it all the sweeter. As I mentioned at the beginning: "I would have to learn to extract every last ounce of benefit, pleasure, and strength from whatever was available." It is at this time every day that I feel much khusu', and thus take the chance to engage in dhikr and du'a'. From the first day in that cell that I witnessed this simple, credible, daily occurrence that I now saw as anything but simple, I gained a new perspective on the verse of Surat Ibrahim, v. 32: {"And He has made the Sun and the Moon, both following their orbits, to be of service to you."}

I also take this daily event as a glad tiding and reminder that after every period of darkness, there must come a light so bright and overwhelming that darkness and its forces are nowhere to be found.

As the Sun fully appears, I turn my sight to the trees and land beyond the razor-wired fence. They have their own story to tell. I bring my mind back 400 years in the past, and I try to imagine the original inhabitants of this land as they traversed the very forests i am gazing at all those long centuries ago. See, the Mayflower landed here. Plymouth Rock is just a stone's throw from here. Plymouth Plantation, the earliest colony established in this region originally owned and inhabited by these Indian natives, is also very close by.

Whenever I look out at those forests that now lay silent, I try to imagine what those natives thought to themselves - if they had any idea at all what was about to befall them - upon first sighting these strange, foreign guests. I also think to myself that it was the descendants of these very guests who built the prison from which I now sit and pen these words.

The forests behind the razor-wired fence tell a story. It is a story that I'm not completely unfamiliar with.

(To be continued, إن شاء الله)

طارق مهنا

Tariq Mehanna

Friday 15th of Muharram 1431/

1st of January 2010

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.