/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Calais Immigrant Squatter 'Jungle' Bulldozed

Blackpool
09-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Fantastic...

Police have bulldozed a notorious immigrant squatter camp near Calais - detaining hundreds who hoped to slip across the English Channel into Britain.

France's immigration Minister Eric Besson, who visited the site known as "the Jungle", called it a "base camp for human traffickers".

He said he would return the rule of law to the northern French coast, adding: "The law of the jungle cannot last eternally."

The people who camped here - mainly immigrants from Afghanistan - have strained relations between the UK and France and become a symbol of Europe's struggle with illegal immigration.

A total of 278 people - nearly half of them minors - were detained in the first part of the operation, said Pierre de Bousquet de Florian, a Pas-de-Calais region official.

"This operation is not targeting the migrants themselves, it is targeting the logistics of the human traffickers... who exploit them," he said.

The migrants carried bags and blankets as they were led away by police.

Activists opposing the clearance yelled at officers and some formed a human chain around the migrants. Other protesters briefly scuffled with riot police.

Many detainees sobbed as they were loaded onto buses, saying they wanted to stay in the camp and voicing fears about being returned to Afghanistan.

Mr Besson said there was no violence in the operation and all personal belongings were collected and being sorted in the Calais mosque.

Thirty interpreters and a medical team helped authorities and hundreds of temporary beds were arranged for those in custody.

Bulldozers were later brought in to level the maze of makeshift tents built from sticks and sheets of plastic.

Activist group Refugee Action called the police operation "horrific" and inhumane, but agreed the squalid camp should not have been permitted to sprout up in the first place.

The tent city grew after France closed a large Red Cross centre at nearby Sangatte in 2002 under pressure from the UK, which saw it as a magnet for illegal immigrants.

British Home Secretary Alan Johnson said he was "delighted" that the camp was being closed.

The UK has ruled out taking the migrants in, and Mr Johnson said genuine refugees should apply for asylum in the country where they entered the EU.

Mr Besson said other, smaller camps scattered around the region - sheltering Iraqi Kurds and illegal migrants from other trouble spots - would also be cleared out this week.

The detainees were to be sent back to the countries where they entered the European Union.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...Dismantle_Camp

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
09-23-2009, 03:42 PM
:threadapp

Amadeus85
09-23-2009, 03:48 PM
All those humanitarian group members always appear there to defend wrong cases. Useful idiots.

Eric H
09-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Amadeus85;

All those humanitarian group members always appear there to defend wrong cases. Useful idiots
Britain invades Afghanistan and causes death and destruction, it destabilises an already poverty stricken country, causing thousands of refugees. There are two million refugees as a result of the invasion of Iraq.

Britain contributed towards the refugee problem, and they should have a moral responsibility towards these people,

In the spirit of praying for justice for the poor and oppressed

Eric

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The_Prince
09-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Eric summed up the situation perfectly, and took the words right out of my mouth.

Muezzin
09-23-2009, 07:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
British Home Secretary Alan Johnson said he was "delighted" that the camp was being closed.

The UK has ruled out taking the migrants in,
and Mr Johnson said genuine refugees should apply for asylum in the country where they entered the EU.
Does anyone else find the juxtaposition of the sentences I've highlighted to be kind of funny?

'I'm delighted they've closed that camp down! Mostly because they're now very unlikely to come to my country and I don't really care about their future wellbeing!'

Blackpool
09-23-2009, 10:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Does anyone else find the juxtaposition of the sentences I've highlighted to be kind of funny?

'I'm delighted they've closed that camp down! Mostly because they're now very unlikely to come to my country and I don't really care about their future wellbeing!'
Not really. The question is why did they travel through countries such as Ukraine, Poland, Germany and then France to seek life in Britain? All these countries are part of the EU and they could have claimed Asylum there. Why the UK? I know the answer to that and the UK should stand their ground and thanks to the French for doing us the favour. We have too many immigrants in the UK as it is. This island is full, seek elswhere. With the French clamping down on these migrants the UK immigration will fall dramatically.

Eric H
09-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Blackpool;
We have too many immigrants in the UK as it is. This island is full, seek elswhere.
Britain has spent billions of pounds fighting a war in Afghanistan and killing people, we should be able to spend a few million pounds helping people.

Which is better to do shoot them, or give them aid? Britain is a part of the problem, and Britain needs to be a part of the solution too.

Eric

Blackpool
09-23-2009, 11:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H

Britain has spent billions of pounds fighting a war in Afghanistan and killing people, we should be able to spend a few million pounds helping people.

Which is better to do shoot them, or give them aid? Britain is a part of the problem, and Britain needs to be a part of the solution too.

Eric
We have taken our fair share of migrants in and we have taken more than enough in. The gates should now be closed fully. The war in Afghanistan is being fought by NATO. As I asked, why can they not seek asylum in the EU country that they entered the European Union? What's wrong with Saudi Arabia, Thailand, India etc? Their borders are open... Why Europe?
To me I believe it's a financial thing. In Britain refugees are given cash, a house, a job, a car etc. The government is too soft.

Muezzin
09-24-2009, 11:10 AM
We have taken our fair share of migrants in and we have taken more than enough in. The gates should now be closed fully. The war in Afghanistan is being fought by NATO.
I suppose the Labour government's support of the war was a total, irrelevant coincedence.

No, Labour is reaping what it has sown (or rather, would like to avoid reaping what it has sown).

My sympathies to the French though. All these refugees aren't morally their problem considering the population and the government opposed the war.

Santoku
09-24-2009, 11:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I suppose the Labour government's support of the war was a total, irrelevant coincedence.

No, Labour is reaping what it has sown (or rather, would like to avoid reaping what it has sown).

My sympathies to the French though. All these refugees aren't morally their problem considering the population and the government opposed the war.
Sangatte was initially opened in 1999, to cope with the refugees who were already living rough in the area trying to get through the tunnel to the UK. n other words the problem was there for years before the Afghan invasion.

Muezzin
09-24-2009, 11:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Santoku
Sangatte was initially opened in 1999, to cope with the refugees who were already living rough in the area trying to get through the tunnel to the UK. n other words the problem was there for years before the Afghan invasion.
In that case, refugees/immigrants are ill-informed about the relative strength of the modern British economy.

Amadeus85
09-24-2009, 04:10 PM

Eric
If european goverments lived under this rule,we would have to accept few millions asians and africans a year. I think that Your view of the politics is too idealistic. Beautiful words are easy to say, what about asking Brittons or Frenchmen, whether they want new immigrants or not.

ardianto
09-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Britain invades Afghanistan and causes death and destruction, it destabilises an already poverty stricken country, causing thousands of refugees. There are two million refugees as a result of the invasion of Iraq.

Britain contributed towards the refugee problem, and they should have a moral responsibility towards these people,
Do you mean they want to go to Britain because Britain invaded Afghanistan, made them became refugees, and they ask a responsibility from Britain ?.
If this is their reason, why don't they go to U.S ?.

The_Prince
09-24-2009, 09:10 PM
btw, 6 more new camps have just opened, lol, so they just took out the main base, and simply spread these guys everywhere. good job.

Cabdullahi
09-24-2009, 09:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85
All those humanitarian group members always appear there to defend wrong cases. Useful idiots.

correction : All those totalitarian group members have habitually appeared there to destroy the same innocent people, useful idiots.
:thumbs_up

Eric H
09-25-2009, 09:49 AM
I think that Your view of the politics is too idealistic. Beautiful words are easy to say, what about asking Brittons or Frenchmen, whether they want new immigrants or not.
At some point we shall all have to stand before God, how can I justify my thoughts and actions, when it comes to the poor and the oppressed?

Should I be more worried about the British and French, or should I be more worried about standing before God?

And Jesus said, what you do the least of these brothers of mine, so you do unto me.

In the spirit of paying for justice for the poor and oppressed.

Eric

glo
09-25-2009, 10:03 AM
At some point we shall all have to stand before God, how can I justify my thoughts and actions, when it comes to the poor and the oppressed?

Should I be more worried about the British and French, or should I be more worried about standing before God?

And Jesus said, what you do the least of these brothers of mine, so you do unto me.

Eric
Well said, Eric.

God bless you.

Eric H
09-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Greetings and peace be with you ardianto;

Do you mean they want to go to Britain because Britain invaded Afghanistan, made them became refugees, and they ask a responsibility from Britain ?.
If this is their reason, why don't they go to U.S
I am not exactly sure as to why they should want to came to Briton, but they are all camped out in Calais with that intention, maybe the thought of easy money is one reason.

They are individuals with a story of hardship, suffering, and living through one conflict after another.

Briton is a major player in the present conflict, and we cannot and should not wash our hands of all responsibility. The Afghan farmers, shopkeepers, factory workers, did not want Briton to invade their country, they had nothing to do with 9 / 11, but they are suffering.

Briton has spent billions of pounds in this conflict, they should spend the same amount of money in restoring justice and peace for these people.

You will never look into the eyes of anyone who does not matter to God, and I believe the poor and oppressed people are our sin against God.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people.

Eric

KAding
09-25-2009, 03:45 PM

Eric
Actually, that is incorrect. Since 2002, when the US and its allies started to get involved in Afghanistan 5 million refugees (yes, million) have returned to the country. You have to keep in mind that Afghanistan was already in a civil war pre-9/11.

http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/v...page=49e486eb6

Amadeus85
09-25-2009, 04:47 PM

Eric

So a follower of Christ should invite millions of immigrants to his country and in effect change the cultural, religious structure of this country, until the followers of Christ become egzotic minority. What about our commitment to the unchagable idea of christian state, eternal order of the popes. Especially that You are a catholic as i remember.

KAding
09-26-2009, 12:24 AM

Actually, the UK has already spent close to a billion on development aid to Afghanistan since 2001.

http://www.dfid.gov.uk/Where-we-work...or-Challenges/
Having spent over £600 million since 2001, DFID spent £143 million there in 2008–09, making the UK the second largest bilateral donor after the US. We will provide a further £510 million in development assistance from 2009–10 to 2012–13, which will bring the amount pledged or spent by all UK government departments on aid to Afghanistan since 2001 to more than £1.65 billion.

Alphadude
09-26-2009, 01:05 AM
i have read this in newspaper i dont know what to say i mean england is full of refugees how much more can they take ? and all of them are heading to uk no were else if they are in danger then they can seek asylum in there iswell as they told them they can seek asylum there but no they wanna come to england i dont understand and the supporters are with them they can tell them if there lifes are in danger in afghanistan they can stay there or go some were else why uk?

ardianto
09-26-2009, 05:40 PM
To me I believe it's a financial thing. In Britain refugees are given cash, a house, a job, a car etc. The government is too soft.
Really ?.
I shall register myself as a refugee and go to Britain. :D

Just kidding. I never want to leave my country. But those Afghans are not kidding. They have heard many good stories from earlier immigrants who live in Britain and that makes them want to go there. I don't know much about immigrants in Britain, but I think they are not living in refugees camp like Palestinian in Lebanon.

You are not wrong, they chose Britain because financial thing. They want to have a better life, and actually this is normal.

But, yes, I can understand if too many immigrants becomes a problem for British.

Alphadude
09-28-2009, 01:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Really ?.
I shall register myself as a refugee and go to Britain. :D

Just kidding. I never want to leave my country. But those Afghans are not kidding. They have heard many good stories from earlier immigrants who live in Britain and that makes them want to go there. I don't know much about immigrants in Britain, but I think they are not living in refugees camp like Palestinian in Lebanon.

You are not wrong, they chose Britain because financial thing. They want to have a better life, and actually this is normal.

But, yes, I can understand if too many immigrants becomes a problem for British.
u should register ur self 2 lol and yes you get all those things :D but some may not the one who are refused

nocturnal
09-28-2009, 01:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Actually, the UK has already spent close to a billion on development aid to Afghanistan since 2001.
I think you need to look at the issue in comparative terms. You can't invade a country, massacre its people, ovethrow the government (albeit an unelected one with an uncompromising policy towards the West), use indiscriminate bombing against civilians to try and pacify an insurgency and then, when faced with legitimate criticism, retort with "but they've spent close to £1 billion on development."

With regard to the money that has been expended on development, all that money is essentially misappropriated by the very same warlords installed by the occupation forces because they are the only ones who exhibit evidently enough docility towards Western strategic goals.

This notion of somehow Afghanistan being a benevolent crusade, one that has at its core the purportedly sacred duty of bringing Al Qa'ida to accout for 9/11 has been discredited about as much as if not more than Iraq.

Osama bin Laden himself asserted in a recent audio release to the US public, that the fundamental cause of confrontation between the West and the Muslim world is the unjustifiable support extended to the zionist government in its continued occupation of Palestine. Al Qaid'a is calling for total disengagement from the task of propping up israel to the point where it is now brimming with enough nuclear warheads to spark an arms race.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.