/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Libyan President

crayon
09-23-2009, 05:16 PM

Muammar Gaddafi speaks at the UN general assembly in New York. Photograph: Jason Szenes/EPA

Muammar Gaddafi threw the UN general assembly into chaos today when he effectively hijacked the podium to make a rambling, unscripted speech.
The Libyan leader had been scheduled to speak for 15 minutes but spoke for over an hour and a half, in a wide-ranging, passionate address which took in the UN security council, the assassination of US president John F Kennedy, Somali piracy and a theory that swine flu was created for military purposes.
Gaddafi took to the rostrum at 4pm, prompting several UN delegates to leave the hall. When they tentatively returned 30 minutes later, expecting the Libyan to have finished, he was only a third of the way into his speech.
Gaddafi, who frequently broke off to pore over pages of notes, said the security council should be called "the terror council", saying: "We cannot have the security council under countries which have nuclear powers. This is terrorism itself."
The Libyan leader, who arrived in New York yesterday, also called for a permanent seat on the security council for the African Union - prompting applause from a handful of African states - and invited anyone who disagreed with him to an impromptu debate on the general assembly floor.
An hour into his speech, Gaddafi complained at some length about being jet-lagged from the 10-hour flight to New York, and having to get up early for the general assembly. Dressed in long brown robes and wearing a black hat, Libya's leader gesticulated with his speech papers - revealing his notes to be handwritten, at a variety of angles and in various colours, on pieces of paper torn from a notebook.
He eventually left the floor at 5.33pm, having promoted his website, Gaddafi Speaks.
Gordon Brown had been due to speak at the end of the morning session, but it is not clear if that will still happen.
Despite the mind-numbing length of his speech Gaddafi failed to break the all time record set by Cuban leader Fidel Castro in 1960, at four and a half hours.
link

Anyone catch the speech just made by the Libyan president at the UN general assembly? I’d never heard of this guy before today, and I caught an image of him giving the speech and got curious.

I think he made a couple of valid points in his speech, but I can’t remember exactly what they were, because the entire time I was distracted by the thought of how crazy he is.

I was watching the speech in English at first, where he sounds quasi normal, but when I began watching it in Arabic I was just like “Whoa.”. He is really a very interesting character.

What are your thoughts on him and/or his speech?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
09-23-2009, 05:38 PM
:threadapp

Cabdullahi
09-23-2009, 05:41 PM
maamar qadhafi let me guess did he have sun glasses on, indoors?

he does make good points but he's been in libya for a long time

but watch out for ahmedinejad he should speak at the assembly

Ramadhan
09-24-2009, 04:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
maamar qadhafi let me guess did he have sun glasses on, indoors?
That's also for Kim Jong Il:
"I come in peace, earthlings"

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
09-24-2009, 05:28 AM
It was frikin hilarious like watching Britney spears talk.. the man is schizophrenic and is really doing more harm than good.. however, he is loved by his people, for he lives in tents (every where he goes) guarded by women and has given his wealth to fellow country men, in other words, any money from oils, instead of pocketing it like the rest of the Arab world despots, he actually gives to the people, in case you were wondering why he has been there for as long as he has...

:w:

Sampharo
09-24-2009, 12:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
I think he made a couple of valid points in his speech, but I can’t remember exactly what they were, because the entire time I was distracted by the thought of how crazy he is.

What are your thoughts on him and/or his speech?
The guy is a full-fledged nincompoop that aged well! :D The valid points he makes are as probable as hitting one specific wall in a room when he's just spinning around and letting go of headless chickens, gotta happen at some point.

Don't forget he was the one who wrote the "Green Book" in which he declared that the Islamic Shariah laws are human laws and can be substituted for human better judgement, that the prophet -pbuh- is a postal worker and no tradition or speech should be taken from him, and that Kaaba is the last idol on Earth! He is so out there that when he said "I wish I wasn't Arab" the Arabs responded "so do we!".

crayon
09-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Interesting replies, thank you all!

The more I learn about him the more intrigued I am! How can someone like that be in charge of a country?!

جوري
09-24-2009, 04:27 PM
I imagine it has to do with the fact that he isn't hoarding money..
presidents that live like the 'common man' appeal to the populace.. even if they are completely absurd!

:w:

O2K
09-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Gadafi's pan arabism and islamism bothers me some. But one has to love his speech last night. It was great! Have to love his tenting as well

Ramadhan
09-24-2009, 11:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Interesting replies, thank you all!

The more I learn about him the more intrigued I am! How can someone like that be in charge of a country?!

Have you already forgotten that George "Dubya" Bush was in charge of United States of America for 8 years?

Humbler_359
09-25-2009, 01:55 AM
:wa: Crayon,

Hope all is well with you, how was your fasting? :D

He was the first person who told Western countries and world that Pakistan Scientists were helping Libya on Nuclear Technology secretly in the past. He pointed finger at Pakistan, Western countries asked Gaddafi to give up nuclear ambitions, he did in order to make them happier.

Link

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.