/* */

PDA

View Full Version : French Muslims suprised by first TV advert for halal food

Uthman
09-23-2009, 09:08 PM
The power of the Islamic purse has broken new ground in France with the country's first primetime TV advertisement for halal food.

In a surprising development for a country poised to ban the burka, the advert for the first time directly targets France's five million Muslims, offering them microwaveable paella, lasagna and shepherd's pie prepared in accordance with Islamic law.

To make meat halal or permissible, an animal or poultry has to be slaughtered in a ritual way known as Zibah.

Such adverts had previously been only been shown on Arabic satellite channels viewable in the country.

In the advert, broadcast on TF1, France's most-watched channel, as well as rival M6 and digital terrestrial channels, a middle class French Muslim couple rush to a supermarket shelf stocked with Zakia Halal, a brand of Panzani, the food group, as they seek food with which to break their fast during Ramadan.

The husband, who is pushing the trolley, says: "Yes, yes, we eat halal".

"Yes, Zakia halal," adds his wife, miming a "z" for Zorro.

The £260,000 campaign hopes to cash in on a huge halal market estimated to be worth more than £3 billion this year in France, and which is growing at 15 per cent per year. According to one recent study by Solis, an ethnic market research company, almost 94 per cent of French people of North African descent buy halal products.

Reaction among French Muslims was a mixture of surprise and incredulity. "It's the first time I've seen so [many Arabs] in an advert. It proves that Arabs and Muslims are starting to become an economic force to be reckoned with in France," read one posting on the French Muslim website Bladi.net.

"They must have paid TF1 a fortune to show that," said a second user. "The director general's going to get fired tomorrow," warned a third.

According to an Ifop poll released last week, 70 per cent of French Muslims observe Ramadan, the ninth month of the Islamic year, in which a fast is held from sunrise to sunset. It began last Friday.

France's Muslims have been in the spotlight in recent weeks following controversy over the head-to-toe burka, which President Nicolas Sarkozy has said is not welcome in France, and the burkini – a cover-all swimming costume. A French Muslim woman was banned from her local public swimming pool for wearing one earlier this month.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
09-23-2009, 09:09 PM
I must say, it doesn't sound like a great advert.

Beardo
09-23-2009, 09:20 PM
The other day I saw a Muslim product being advertised...

"100% Zabihah Halaal!" So I was thinking... Is there such thing as 50% halaal zabihah? I mean, seriously. It's either Halaal or not HAlaal. What's up with the percentage?

...would 99.9% be halaal?

Danah
09-23-2009, 09:25 PM
huh!
Is this coming as an attempt to make people forget what they did regarding the burka issue?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Najm
09-23-2009, 09:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
The other day I saw a Muslim product being advertised...

"100% Zabihah Halaal!" So I was thinking... Is there such thing as 50% halaal zabihah? I mean, seriously. It's either Halaal or not HAlaal. What's up with the percentage?

...would 99.9% be halaal?

AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Lol your soo funny. Made me laugh.

I guess 99.9% would still be haraam :embarrass

FiAmaaniAllah

aadil77
09-23-2009, 10:19 PM
I'd laugh if the food turned out to be haraam

The_Prince
09-24-2009, 12:48 AM
money talks. if we pay these losers millions for the niqab they wud also allow that, these ppl will sell their own mothers for money.

جوري
09-25-2009, 01:18 AM
^^ lol, I have heard that line once before in my life, money talks and bull **** walks.. . I have never used it but was always so amused by it!
It is certainly not untrue.. if French stores were benefiting in lieu of Muslim shops frok niqab it would most certainly not just be allowed but encouraged.. It is the reason those big name designers like YSL and Hermes design for Dubai and KSA shows.. pls look at who is sitting at the boards at Hermes .. You might just be surprised..

Muslims hold very high positions in the most prominent places, just not sure why someone always has them on a leash.. they become too worldly and forget their ummah and it doesn't matter how high up they soar, they other compromise their religion or kowtow to get by ..

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.