/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Niqab, Fact V Fiction

Uthman
09-24-2009, 08:26 PM
From MuslimMatters:

By Fatima Barkatulla

How much do you really know about the niqab? An insider guide to common misconceptions.

1. The niqab is a symbol of female subjugation.

None of the niqab-wearing women who I know, wear it because they have been forced to. They see it as an act of devotion to their Creator: the culmination of a spiritual journey. In fact most of them are women who were born and brought up in the UK; many are White or Afro-Caribbean Muslim converts to Islam who have chosen to observe it. The hijab, niqab and abaya are outer garments and are worn only when outdoors or in the presence of men who are not close relatives and so, contrary to popular belief, underneath their robes, in family and female-only settings Muslim women are often very fashion conscious and outgoing. They dress in everyday clothing; they get their hair done, go on holiday and even buy lingerie!

2. Women who wear the niqab cannot possibly contribute to society

People are surprised to hear that niqab-wearers come from varied vocational backgrounds. They include doctors, teachers, dentists, authors, social workers, university graduates, lecturers and more. They usually prefer to work in a female environment and so would not wear the face-veil all the time. Other women say that wearing the niqab actually makes them feel more comfortable when they are working with men. It is ironic that the very women who are the subject of debate are far from being a burden on society: they don’t get drunk and disorderly, don’t smoke and are likely to be very good citizens. Many of them are full-time mothers who take pride in raising well-educated children who will be an asset to British society.

3. The niqab isn’t in the Qur’an

The Qur’anic worldview presents a complete system of living, which permeates the daily lives of observant Muslims. This includes everything from rituals of personal hygiene, advice on neighbourly behaviour and animal rights to regulations for dress. Some women see the niqab as a religious obligation, others, as an act of worship following in the footsteps of notable Muslim women of the past. Numerous verses in the Qur’an contain directives for Muslim women’s dress, amongst them:

“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the Believers to draw their outer garments all over their bodies. That will be better, so that they may be known and so as not to be annoyed, and God is Ever-forgiving, Most Merciful.” (33:59)

The Qur’an was interpreted by the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and his disciples and their teachings form the basis of Islamic law. There are two orthodox schools of thought with regards to the interpretation of this verse. One orthodox interpretation is that it means covering the whole body including the face. The other school of thought is that, though not obligatory, covering the face is a virtue.

Read more here...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Beardo
09-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Beautiful article, Masha'Allah Brother Uthman. Jazakumullah for sharing.

I really believe that those who wear Niqaab contribute more to society than those who do not. They are doing a service by promoting non-lust, and most of them are also running side businesses on-line and serving the women-folk of the community. They are not "detained" or "unequal" at all. It is a wise choice they decided to take on, Masha'Allah, and we should respect that.

There was a YouTube video I posted here (which I found out was posted a few times) about a debate between a person who does not wear Hijaab, a person that does wear Hijaab, and a person that wears Niqaab. I believe it was on BBC. Very interesting, Masha'Allah. :D

Ummu Sufyaan
09-25-2009, 07:50 AM
:sl:
jazakallahu khair for sharing...i've read this one before...inshallah i intend on writing up my own clarifications regarding this issue.

there is also the "women who wear niqab have trouble socializing" misconception which is ridiculous because one's tone of voice is also important when interacting with others, not just seeing their facial expressions, etc. so sounding friendly would in turn welcome friendless, etc, the same it would be like without wearing the face veil.

realistically speaking, how close do we pay attention to the a persons expression on their face when we talk to them anyway :?

also hand expressions/gestures can still used, and it's not like a niqaabi is being deprived and/or are incapable of making use of that medium of interacting.

Bottom line: you dont always need to see someones face to interact with them so a niqaab is not a barrier to socializing imo.

Uthman
09-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Wa Iyyakum. Good points!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pygoscelis
10-29-2009, 03:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
There was a YouTube video I posted here (which I found out was posted a few times) about a debate between a person who does not wear Hijaab, a person that does wear Hijaab, and a person that wears Niqaab. I believe it was on BBC. Very interesting, Masha'Allah. :D
I've always wanted to see a debate between a muslim and a nudist. Two such extremes would make for a fascinating conversation. I bet they'd both come to the table with dozens of wrong assumptions about the other.

Italianguy
10-29-2009, 03:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
From MuslimMatters:

By Fatima Barkatulla

How much do you really know about the niqab? An insider guide to common misconceptions.

1. The niqab is a symbol of female subjugation.

None of the niqab-wearing women who I know, wear it because they have been forced to. They see it as an act of devotion to their Creator: the culmination of a spiritual journey. In fact most of them are women who were born and brought up in the UK; many are White or Afro-Caribbean Muslim converts to Islam who have chosen to observe it. The hijab, niqab and abaya are outer garments and are worn only when outdoors or in the presence of men who are not close relatives and so, contrary to popular belief, underneath their robes, in family and female-only settings Muslim women are often very fashion conscious and outgoing. They dress in everyday clothing; they get their hair done, go on holiday and even buy lingerie!

2. Women who wear the niqab cannot possibly contribute to society

People are surprised to hear that niqab-wearers come from varied vocational backgrounds. They include doctors, teachers, dentists, authors, social workers, university graduates, lecturers and more. They usually prefer to work in a female environment and so would not wear the face-veil all the time. Other women say that wearing the niqab actually makes them feel more comfortable when they are working with men. It is ironic that the very women who are the subject of debate are far from being a burden on society: they don’t get drunk and disorderly, don’t smoke and are likely to be very good citizens. Many of them are full-time mothers who take pride in raising well-educated children who will be an asset to British society.

3. The niqab isn’t in the Qur’an

The Qur’anic worldview presents a complete system of living, which permeates the daily lives of observant Muslims. This includes everything from rituals of personal hygiene, advice on neighbourly behaviour and animal rights to regulations for dress. Some women see the niqab as a religious obligation, others, as an act of worship following in the footsteps of notable Muslim women of the past. Numerous verses in the Qur’an contain directives for Muslim women’s dress, amongst them:

“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the Believers to draw their outer garments all over their bodies. That will be better, so that they may be known and so as not to be annoyed, and God is Ever-forgiving, Most Merciful.” (33:59)

The Qur’an was interpreted by the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and his disciples and their teachings form the basis of Islamic law. There are two orthodox schools of thought with regards to the interpretation of this verse. One orthodox interpretation is that it means covering the whole body including the face. The other school of thought is that, though not obligatory, covering the face is a virtue.

Read more here...
My Nonna always wore a veil and she was Roman catholic! she always covered herself from head to toe, always! Especially in the Church. Our Bible tells us women should not speak in church and if thier head is uncoverd during worship the must shave off thier hair!, wich is also bad. I dont remember her covering her face fully? I don't as a Christian find it undermining at all i think christians should practice this more! My wife now covers her head in church( we sure get some looks) I also pray with my hands positioned like a Muslim ( to catch God's grace ) the people in the church probably think we are confused Muslims. lol, No offense.

ardianto
10-29-2009, 04:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
My Nonna always wore a veil and she was Roman catholic! she always covered herself from head to toe, always!
Do you mean Catholic style veil ?.

I have seen in some movies, Catholic women covered their faces. But they wore veil that different than Muslim women veil.

Italianguy
10-29-2009, 04:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Do you mean Catholic style veil ?.

I have seen in some movies, Catholic women covered their faces. But they wore veil that different than Muslim women veil.
No not like the flying Nunn,lol. she wore either a white or black cloth type veil that wraped around her shoulders over the top of her head and around the bottom of her chin. When she spoke to my Nonno (grandfather) she would hold the bottom half over her mouth. She also wore clothing similar to a Salwarkami she hand made everything herself, and she mostly wore black. You probably have never seen the movie "the Godfather" its a mobster movie but in the begining of part 2 you see an Italian woman trying to talk a boss out of killing her son and she wears something very similar to what a Muslim woman wears? They toned it down in the movie a little bit because italian women said amerikans would think they were oppressed. Thanks

ardianto
10-29-2009, 05:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
No not like the flying Nunn,lol. she wore either a white or black cloth type veil that wraped around her shoulders over the top of her head and around the bottom of her chin. When she spoke to my Nonno (grandfather) she would hold the bottom half over her mouth. She also wore clothing similar to a Salwarkami she hand made everything herself, and she mostly wore black. You probably have never seen the movie "the Godfather" its a mobster movie but in the begining of part 2 you see an Italian woman trying to talk a boss out of killing her son and she wears something very similar to what a Muslim woman wears? They toned it down in the movie a little bit because italian women said amerikans would think they were oppressed. Thanks
Who said i talk about "the Godfather" movie. :D

I think I make a misunderstanding, but that's because my English is not good. I talk about covering face, not hair, and flying nun doesn't cover her face.

I have seen in movies, when visit a burial procession, Catholic / Christian women cover their faces with 'black net', that's what I mean with Catholic style veil. Of course, that's different than Muslim. It's easy to recognize who is woman behind this 'black net' because this is semi transparent. But Muslims full veil is not semi transparent, and people maybe cannot recognize woman behind this full veil. This is becomes a problem between a Muslim woman and people in non-Muslim land.

Once again, brother. I never thinking all Italian in America are mobster, and also I never thinking all mobster in America are Italian. In fact, the famous Ben Siegel and Meyer Lansky were not Italians.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.