/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos are not seen as forbidden in Shi'a Islam, Confused?

AlexJ90
09-24-2009, 10:20 PM
I understand that tattoos are allowed in Shi'a Islam and are not seen to be against sunnah, as per fatwas by high ranking figures such as Ayatollah Sistani and Ayatollah Khameini have both said its okay.

I have also heard some say its ok, as you can do Wuzu before prayer as its 'under' the skin, not 'over', so you can still have a valid prayer after wuzu.

I understand theres different opinions on this by the way.

Thanks brothers

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IAmZamzam
09-25-2009, 08:49 AM
As I understand it, tattoos are forbidden. I have a couple, but I got them before I became a Muslim. :)

Ramadhan
09-25-2009, 09:09 AM
from Islamqa:

She had a tattoo done before she became Muslim. Is she cursed?
Before I converted to Islam, I got tatooed. I have recently read about a tatooed women being a cursed woman.
Does this apply to me as well? If I become engaged, should I tell my husband about this before hand, in case he does not want to become engaged to a "cursed woman"?.

Praise be to Allaah.

The Muslim must realize that Islam erases any sins that came before it, and indeed Allaah changes them into good deeds, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Except those who repent and believe (in Islamic Monotheism), and do righteous deeds; for those, Allaah will change their sins into good deeds, and Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Furqaan 25:70]

It was narrated that ‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas said: When Allaah put Islam in my heart, I went to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: “Give me your right hand so that I may give you my oath of allegiance.” So he held out his hand, but I held my hand back. He said, “What is the matter, O ‘Amr?” I said, “I want to make a condition.” He said, “What is your condition?” I said, “That I be forgiven.” He said, “Do you not know that Islam wipes out whatever came before it, and that hijrah (migration for the sake of Allaah) wipes out whatever came before it, and that Hajj wipes out whatever came before it?”

(Narrated by Muslim, 121).

This hadeeth indicates that whoever becomes Muslim is forgiven for all the bad deeds that he may have done before he became a Muslim.

Secondly:

It was narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that tattooing is haraam (forbidden).

It was narrated that Abu Juhayfah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does tattoos, the one who has a tattoo done, the one who consumes riba (usury or interest) and the one who pays it, and he forbade the price of a dog and the earnings of a prostitute, and he cursed the image-makers.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5032).

Tattooing is a major sin, but if a person repents from it, Allaah will accept his repentance.

Thirdly:

Modern medicine is able to remove tattoos; the remedy exists so you can easily get rid of it, in sha Allah.

Fourthly:

The curse of the woman who does tattoos is not permanent; rather when a person repents from it, that curse is lifted. So it is a mistake for you to say that you are a cursed woman. Rather we ask Allaah to make you good and righteous.

Fifthly:

Undoubtedly the one who wants to marry you will understand this issue, especially that it was before you became Muslim. Even if it was after you became Muslim, so long as the Muslim has repented from it, he cannot be blamed or called to account for it, rather his bad deeds are changed into good deeds.

And Allaah knows best.

crayon
09-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Shi'a Islam has a wide range of strange beliefs, which is why they are shi'a in the first place. Many of their beliefs and practices differ from mainstream muslims.

Tattoos are without a doubt forbidden.

The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have cursed the tattooer and the tattooed. (Reported by Muslim)

Link

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
YusufNoor
09-25-2009, 12:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlexIslam
I understand that tattoos are allowed in Shi'a Islam and are not seen to be against sunnah, as per fatwas by high ranking figures such as Ayatollah Sistani and Ayatollah Khameini have both said its okay.

I have also heard some say its ok, as you can do Wuzu before prayer as its 'under' the skin, not 'over', so you can still have a valid prayer after wuzu.

Thanks brothers
:sl:

Shi'ism is NOT Islam. it is full of shirk as well as lies about the Sahabah.

they give the attributes of Allah to the 12 Imams. ANY Shiia that understands this and remains Shiia is out of the fold of Islam.

don't waste your time with that stuff. continue to learn about Islam.

:wa:

ChOcCi
09-25-2009, 01:20 PM
hmm, why is it that only tattooed WOMEN will be cursed but not men?

P.S yeah, tattooing is forbidden.

جوري
09-25-2009, 01:50 PM
The ruling applies to both, however in olden times, it was the women who used tattooing more prominently as well making a gap between their teeth as a (sign of beauty) or in general to beautify themselves...

Men didn't go carving a hooters model across their arm, however the women especially the Bedouins did this

and obviously from the pic, you can see for yourself that they still do. I believe however they do it out of ignorance, since the culture is predominant over the religion as is the case with everything else in life...

btw on a separate note: Why are you Muslim? it seems basic knowledge and understanding of your fellow Muslims and/or their culture escapes you, just browsing a few of your posts. You know there is no such thing as compulsion in religion. If you feel that washing for prayer/questioning the validity of western subjugation of women, or feel a hadith is exclusive only of women, I can't understand for the life of me, why you choose Islam as a way of life. You neither understand what it is about, and you seem overtly ashamed of it?!

all the best!

AlexJ90
09-25-2009, 02:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
The ruling applies to both, however in olden times, it was the women who used tattooing more prominently as well making a gap between their teeth as a (sign of beauty) or in general to beautify themselves...

Men didn't go carving a hooters model across their arm, however the women especially the Bedouins did this

and obviously from the pic, you can see for yourself that they still do. I believe however they do it out of ignorance, since the culture is predominant over the religion as is the case with everything else in life...

btw on a separate note: Why are you Muslim? it seems basic knowledge and understanding of your fellow Muslims and/or their culture escapes you, just browsing a few of your posts. You know there is no such thing as compulsion in religion. If you feel that washing for prayer/questioning the validity of western subjugation of women, or feel a hadith is exclusive only of women, I can't understand for the life of me, why you choose Islam as a way of life. You neither understand what it is about, and you seem overtly ashamed of it?!

all the best!
this account is used by many users my friend..roughly 6-8 people use my account to ask questions, and theyre all interested in islam.:thumbs_up

Salahudeen
09-25-2009, 02:16 PM
^ I think she was talking to chocci, alexislam.

AlexJ90
09-25-2009, 02:16 PM
In al-Saheehayn it is narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “May Allaah curse the women who do tattoos and those for whom tattoos are done, those who pluck their eyebrows and those who file their teeth for the purpose of beautification and alter the creation of Allaah.” (al-Bukhaari, al-Libaas, 5587; Muslim, al-Libaas, 5538)

Why isnt the Male specifically stated in that quote? Why only female?.. Regardless of olden times or not, shoudnt it say MEN AND WOMEN are not allowed. (As there are many things i have read in hadiths that men can do and women cant)

- IqRa -
09-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Maybe because only women did it at that time?

I don't know, sorry.

جوري
09-25-2009, 02:34 PM
this account is used by many users my friend..roughly 6-8 people use my account to ask questions, and theyre all interested in islam.:thumbs_up
I was addressing chocci!

:w:

AlexJ90
09-25-2009, 02:40 PM
In al-Saheehayn it is narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “May Allaah curse the women who do tattoos and those for whom tattoos are done, those who pluck their eyebrows and those who file their teeth for the purpose of beautification and alter the creation of Allaah.” (al-Bukhaari, al-Libaas, 5587; Muslim, al-Libaas, 5538)

Why isnt the Male specifically stated in that quote? Why only female?.. Regardless of olden times or not, shoudnt it say MEN AND WOMEN are not allowed. (As there are many things i have read in hadiths that men can do and women cant)

anybody?

جوري
09-25-2009, 02:41 PM

Rather, the women are NOT exempt from the disallowance.
However, tattooing back then as stated, cited and picture presented, was more prevalent amongst women!

& Allah swt knows best!

MSalman
09-25-2009, 02:53 PM

anybody?
many times only men are addressed when the ruling is general and applied to both genders. so akhee why are you over-reacting? Do you think the scholars, who understood what the hadith meant and derived ruling from it, were not able to notice what a layman like yourself has noticed?

Allah says in the Qur'an that ask the people of knowldge if you do not know. Since a fatawa has been given to you from the people of knowledge, who understood what the hadith really meant, why do you not submit to it?

I wanted to say something else but I would rather have husn al-dhan for you, allhamdulillah.

and Allah knows best

AlexJ90
09-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the reply sister. Do you know if there is any mentioning of tattoos specifically in the holy quran?

Thanks.

ChOcCi
09-25-2009, 02:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
I was addressing chocci!

Hey dude, that was just a simple question out of curiosity.. I in no way was questioning Islam's beliefs. Seriously, no need to overreact.. I just like to raise controversial topics.. its part of my nature but believe me, im Muslim by heart and will be so all the way.

AlexJ90
09-25-2009, 02:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Shi'a Islam has a wide range of strange beliefs, which is why they are shi'a in the first place. Many of their beliefs and practices differ from mainstream muslims.

Tattoos are without a doubt forbidden.

The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have cursed the tattooer and the tattooed. (Reported by Muslim)

Link
I wonder what Ayatollah Sistani would say if i told him how can you allow this if there is a hadith against it?

I really wonder what his reply would be..

Ramadhan
09-25-2009, 03:23 PM
^ my bet is he wouldn't flinch at all
obviously you have little knowledge about shia

ardianto
09-25-2009, 03:44 PM

Thanks brothers
Although some Shia scholars say tattoos are makrooh, tattoos are not forbidden in Shia. Even some Shias believe certain tattoos such as tattoo of Imam Ali's sword or lion can gives them a good protection. During Soviet-Afghan Mujahidin war, some Shia mujahidins made tattoos of Quranic ayaah on their bodies.

However, in Sunni tattoos are haram.

YusufNoor
09-25-2009, 07:38 PM
I wonder what Ayatollah Sistani would say if i told him how can you allow this if there is a hadith against it?

I really wonder what his reply would be..

:sl:

Akhi,

you missed the part about what the Shiia say about the Sahabah. BECAUSE of their stance on them, they don't take hadeeth from the ones they curse. THUS they end up with their own books of hadeeth.

my advice is to IGNORE the shiia, and concentrate on Islam.

:wa:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.