/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Charities

aamirsaab
09-25-2009, 08:44 AM
:sl:
Do any of you know of any charities for prostitutes. Preferably paypal ones so I can pay over the net instantly. I'd like to donate to that cause, as I'm firmly against prostitution (I think it is absolutely terrible that some young and adult women are forced into this diabolical act and there doesn't seem to be enough hoo-hah about it: it's freakin prostitution!) and this is really the only way I can do anything about it.

There must be some charities going towards removing or at least helping the victims of this crime, no? So if anyone knows of any, could they please reply with details, thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
09-25-2009, 10:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Prostitutes. Preferably paypal ones so I can pay over the net instantly.

on serious note there should be a charity for struggling single women not just prostitutes that only men should contribute to help make their lives more livable

glo
09-25-2009, 01:41 PM
That's a great cause to support, Aamirsaab!

I have done some googling, but there don't seem to be many charities around ...

Here is an interesting UK article:
“There’s a knock at the door of the project. A young girl is standing there. Her pimp has cut off the tops of her fingers. We take her to hospital.”

This is one vivid memory of Theresa Cumbers, who retired earlier this year from the Magdalene Group charity that helps prostitutes get out of the profession.

[...]

Home Office figures show that up to 70 per cent of prostitutes spent time in care, 45 per cent report sexual abuse and 85 per cent physical abuse within their families.(1)

Many are homeless and up to 95 per cent of street prostitutes are on heroin or crack. Over the past 10 years, 48 women
working as prostitutes have been murdered in the UK, according to figures from the Women’s Library in London.

Liz Kelly, professor of sexualised violence and director of the child and woman abuse studies unit at London Metropolitan
University, describes prostitutes as “really troubled and struggling women who do not control their own lives”.

Tracy Kennett was one of them until she got out, with the help of the Magdalene Group in Norwich, cited by the Home Office
as an example of good practice (see Prostitution: What is it really like).
Following on from the article, here is the website of The Magdalene Group in Norfolk.

You can support them through ongoing membership or donation. See here.

"Tonight in the UK, up to 5,000 young people will be exploited by prostitution, from all backgrounds, many coerced by pimps"

Laila01x
09-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Im at work at the moment - im a researcher - so i will deffo find some if there are any. i will look for you tonight - inshallah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ieshia
09-25-2009, 06:21 PM
I don't think that is the best way to help prostitution. It might help a few few, and i mean very few women get out of it but once they're adults and have been doing this for a while it becomes a way of life. Just like most beggars out there. The problem still isn't with the women who are prostitutes, the people who deserved to be punished are the people from that girl's household who did her wrong. I'm very interested in social science and in my criminology class we learn why criminals do certain things and that is what we learned about prostitutes. To give a real life example, there was a young girl who had been raped by her mom's boyfriend, then again by her mom's second, third and fourth boyfriend. One day she just gets sick of it and runs away from home at the age of 15, now she's sitting on the side of the road and gets hungry, but she can no longer go to her mother's kitchen to get the food. So she sits there and thinks, she can't get a job cause she barely even went to school because her mom was a crackhead anyway who didn't care about her child's education, so therefore she has no skills. Plus she's too young to get a job anyway. Now there is only one thing she can do to get money so she sells her body. One day she gets arrested for that crime and the cops throw her in jail, but a juvenile officer looks deeper into the case, goes to her home and finds the real problem is there, and not with her. So they release the girl and put her into a foster home where she had nice siblings and parents who respected her. People didn't barge into the bathroom when she was there, she wasn't harassed or raped in any way and people truly cared for her. The cops went to go check on this girl 6 months later and saw she was trying out for her school's volleyball team and doing good at school.

Now the point of my long story was, for people to think twice before bad mouthing these poor women, and the OP is trying to do the right thing by helping them. What i want to let the OP know is, you can't help the grown women much, because prostitution is all they've known if they have been doing this for long enough and they couldn't learn anything because they didn't get as lucky as the girl in the story who had the opportunity to learn something else about the world. What you can do is help out households of girls coming from these places, or like someone said help out single mothers or women who fall into a similar category. I help raising money for abused women a lot. You should look into YWCA, they help women and by donating to them, will help them keep women from falling into prostitution.

Laila01x
09-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Had a look around on websits - to be frank there aint that many...but i found the same one glo did

http://www.themagdalenegroup.org.uk/

glo
09-25-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm a bit shocked that there aren't more charities for this cause out there ...

Ieshia, I disagree with your view that grown women cannot learn to break the cycle of prostitution and start a new life, but they probably need material, emotional and practical support to do so.

ieshia
09-25-2009, 07:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I'm a bit shocked that there aren't more charities for this cause out there ...

Ieshia, I disagree with your view that grown women cannot learn to break the cycle of prostitution and start a new life, but they probably need material, emotional and practical support to do so.
I didn't say that you can't change any. There are a few who will but very few, unless you continue to provide them with money. The whole thing with, give a man a fish and feed him for a day but teach a man to fish will feed him for a life time wouldn't work for many of them. Most will not be willing to learn to fish anymore but they will stay away from prostitution as long as you keep giving them the fish. It's not about what you think will happen, this is based on how it is and human behavior.

Laila01x
09-25-2009, 07:36 PM
I personally feel charities are are good stepping stone in helping these women move away from postitution. However, they will obviosuly require psychological help in order for them to move fully away from this form of behaviour. There should be more Government funding to help build centres for people to feel comfortable to walk and talk and gain sufficient help.

ieshia
09-25-2009, 07:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Laila01x
I personally feel charities are are good stepping stone in helping these women move away from postitution. However, they will obviosuly require psychological help in order for them to move fully away from this form of behaviour. There should be more Government funding to help build centres for people to feel comfortable to walk and talk and gain sufficient help.
There are many in the United States. There's room for more women seeking help too but a lot are either just afraid, ashamed or they just don't realize that there is a problem so they become arrogant. I have volunteered to help women but yes there should definitely be more and more people should help out. One big thing is to get women in need to be aware of these things.

cat eyes
09-25-2009, 08:14 PM
i think its a good charity considering the amount of women who leave there bad home life in there country they get trapped into this way of life its true and not many people know this they get tricked into it by people claiming to be rich buisness men giving them promises that i will take you to europe illegally an i will get you into a colege and you can have your own apartment with other women so when they go there illegally so because of the fact they are illegal. what can they do? they are desperate. they don't want to go back to there horrible home life either so they are trapped also. they get beaten up also to stay while others get use to that way of life. people don't seem to understand either the struggles they would have had in there own country so they would do anything. that woman believes she will not get a better life and that this is her life. also is there any charity for children who get kidnapped and forced into prostitution?

Laila01x
09-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Not that im aware of cat eyes. They are more likely to go seek help from children that have been abused and recommendations are done accordingly

Jazakallah

aamirsaab
09-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Tried that magdalene group but apparently they are unable to receive any money. I'll try again later.

Kind of worrying that there aren't many more charities on this matter, though. Still, at least there is one you guys have found. I'll give it a few days, maybe there is an error in their system that needs rectifiying or something. Then I'll try donating again.

Jazakallah kheir to everyone who responded and gave any info.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.