/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Who says Muslims can't be Vegetarian?

tresbien
09-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Who says Muslims can't be Vegetarian?to read it pls click on the link
http://www.islamicmedicine.org/food.htm
The Existence of the “Vegetarian Muslim”

By Karima Burns, MH, ND

17/01/2001

The Prophet (SAW) said, “The superiority of 'Aisha to other ladies is like the superiority of Tharid (i.e., a meat and bread dish) to other meals.”

When one first reads the above Hadith, it appears to be non-controversial and simply stated to honor a strong and blessed Muslim woman. However, a vegetarian reading it might have trouble accepting the fact that the Prophet himself (SAW) elevated a meat dish to such a high rank among foods.

On the other hand, vegetarians would be pleased with a Hadith related by Yahya that states that the Prophet (SAW) said, “Beware of meat. It has addictiveness like the addictiveness of wine” (Malik). In this Hadith, it seems that meat does not hold such a high rank, after all; rather, it appears to be among the worst foods we can consume.

So what is the correct perspective regarding meat in Islam? Should Muslims be vegetarians, carnivores, or omnivores?

In the argument for meat, one must note that the Prophet (SAW) himself ate meat; he condoned and even encouraged eating it; and Allah has required sacrificing at the time of Eid-ul-Adha for the purpose of consumption.

The Prophet even considered meat “clean” that, according to the narration of Ibn Abbas, “The Prophet (SAW) ate of the meat of a shoulder (by cutting the meat with his teeth), and then got up and offered the prayer without performing the ablution anew” (Bukhari).

It was also one of the favored foods to be taken on journeys. Jabir bin ‘Abdullah narrates, “During the life time of the Prophet, we used to take the meat of sacrificed animals (as journey food) to Medina” (Bukhari, Hadith No. 474, Vol. 7).

As well, according to the narration of Aisha, meat was also a favored gift. “I never felt so jealous of any woman as I did of Khadija, though she had died three years before the Prophet married me, and that was because I heard him mentioning her too often, and because his Lord had ordered him to give her the glad tidings that she would have a palace in Paradise, made of Qasab, and because he used to slaughter a sheep and distribute its meat among her friends” (Bukhari).

Modern researchers have also begun to favor meat again as an important part of the diet. For years, it was unpopular within the health industry after it was found to contain fats that potentially cause heart disease and obesity, and a structure that requires a longer digestive time and causes constipation and increased body toxicity. However, many experts have now concluded that some vitamins and minerals can only be found sufficiently in meat products, and that most vegetarians will become deficient in these nutrients over time.

Hence, a recent article in Prevention magazine asks, “Does this latest swing back to red meat mean that we’re heading straight for imminent health disaster?” Their answer was, “Not at all. In moderation, lean meats can provide significant health benefits, from preventing vitamin and mineral deficiencies and boosting immunity to building stronger blood.”

In fact, meat does provide many health benefits. Dr. Susan Kleiner, R.D, PhD. and owner of High Performance Nutrition in Mercer Island, Washington says, “People read reports that red meat causes cancer and heart disease so they think they have to stop eating meat. What they don’t realize is that people in these studies eat more than ten ounces a day. Eating three to five ounces a day is considered quite healthful.”

One of the most important nutrients found in abundance in meat is iron – a mineral that boosts the oxygen carrying capacity of blood. Without enough iron, our red blood cells get smaller and we start feeling worn out. Women and athletes are even more at risk for iron deficient anemia, because their bodies use more iron due to menstruation and exercise. In one study, 47 inactive women were enrolled in a 12-week moderate aerobics program. After the 12 weeks, their iron levels showed a significant drop. This could explain why some people who exercise complain that they still feel fatigued even though they “should” feel more energetic from their efforts.

Iron is also found in abundance in dark leafy greens such as spinach or Swiss chard; however, it takes about five cups of uncooked Swiss chard or spinach to equal the iron found in 10 ounces of meat. Realistically, even a person who is willing to eat five cups of greens in a day would not find them available year round, particularly during the winter.

Furthermore, meats contain an iron called heme iron which is fifteen percent more absorbable than non-heme (plant) iron. And consuming heme iron actually helps the absorption of non-heme iron; therefore, it is a good idea to combine foods from the plant and animal kingdoms for the best balance and benefit.

To compensate for the deficiency of iron in vegetarian and low meat diets, many people take iron supplements. However, it has been found that consuming many of these supplements can actually be detrimental rather than helpful because most are made from a non-organic iron which is not absorbable by the body, but instead forms deposits over time, which can lead to an increased risk of infections, heart disease and cancer.

Zinc, responsible for supporting the immune system, is another mineral found abundantly in meat. A three-ounce top round, for instance, provides one third of the USRDA (U.S. Recommended Daily Allowance) for zinc, which like iron is more easily absorbable coming from meat than vegetable sources. However, unlike iron, it is not readily available within the plant kingdom. One would have a hard time getting enough zinc in a strictly vegetarian diet unless they were to consume a few cups of pumpkin seeds every day. Therefore, a person who never eats meat would soon become deficient in zinc.

Vitamin B-12 is perhaps the most difficult to obtain nutrient that meat provides, as it is virtually unavailable in the plant kingdom at all. In fact, most doctors recommend that vegans (those that do not eat meat products at all) absolutely need to take a vitamin B-12 supplement. Doctors have noted that many vegetarians feel “fine” for years; then, five or seven years down the road, they suddenly feel fatigued. Strict vegetarians are at high risk for developing “pernicious anemia,” a rare and often fatal disorder resulting from a depletion of B-12 in the system. This is because vitamin B-12, which is stored in the liver, depletes itself over time. Most people who include at least some meat products in their diet, however, will never have this problem. Therefore, most experts advise eating meat at least occasionally in the vegetarian diet.

This view syncs well with the example of the Prophet (SAW). The Qur’an (7:31) says, "Eat and drink, but waste not by excess, for God loves not the prodigals.” Muhammad (SAW) elaborated on this verse when he said (narrated by Yahya), "What is this, Amir al-muminin?”

“We desired meat and I bought some meat for a dirham," Umar said.

"Does one of you want to fill his belly apart from his neighbor or nephew? How can you overlook this ayat: 'You squandered your good things in the life of this world and sought comfort in them' " (Qur’an, 46:20).

In this Hadith, the Prophet (SAW) seems to imply that eating meat in excess is an act of selfishness, and that one should feed any extra meat that they might have to someone who is in need.

Concern for animals prompts many people to be vegetarian. That we should be concerned about animals is obvious in a famous Hadith narrated by Bukhari: Abu Hurairah narrated that the Prophet said, "A man felt very thirsty while he was on the way; there, he came across a well. He went down the well, quenched his thirst, and came out. Meanwhile, he saw a dog panting and licking mud because of excessive thirst. He said to himself, ‘This dog is suffering from thirst as I did.’ So, he went down the well again and filled his shoe with water and watered it. Allah thanked him for that deed and forgave him.” The people said, “O Allah's Apostle! Is there a reward for us in serving the animals?” He replied: “Yes, there is a reward for serving any animate (living being)."

Another Hadith that encourages kind treatment toward animals is that related by Malik that states, "Allah, the Blessed and Exalted, is kind and loves kindness.” We are encouraged to be mild towards animals – even “beasts of burden” which the Prophet instructed the Muslims to spare from traveling through difficult terrain.

Despite these and numerous other Hadith enumerating the virtues of kindness towards animals, it does not follow that they should not be slaughtered. Not only is it permissible for our lawful use, it is also permissible to kill an animal as a protection against danger or evil. Aisha narrated that Allah's Apostle said, "Five kinds of animals are harmful and can be killed in the Haram (Sanctuary). These are the crow, the kite, the scorpion, the mouse and the rabid dog."

The general consensus, amongst the Prophet and modern health experts, is that we should eat meat – at least in moderation – and, while it certainly can become “as addictive as wine,” it holds a high rank amongst foods as long as it is eaten in moderation. Therefore, we can conclude that the best health is enjoyed by those who “Eat of the good things We have provided for your sustenance, but commit no excess therein" (Qur’an, 20:81

PLS PUT SMILE ON THE LIPS OF THE POOR AND NEEDY AND BE GENEROUS.
he Prophet also said: "Give charity without delay, for it stands in the way of calamity." - Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 589

THE IMPORTANCE OF CHARITY

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: "The believer's shade on the Day of Resurrection will be his charity." - Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 604

The Prophet also said: "Every act of goodness is charity." - Sahih Muslim, Hadith 496
EVERY MUSLIM MUST GIVE IN CHARITY

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: "Every Muslim has to give in charity." The people then asked: "(But what) if someone has nothing to give, what should he do?" The Prophet replied: "He should work with his hands and benefit himself and also give in charity (from what he earns)." The people further asked: "If he cannot find even that?" He replied: "He should help the needy who appeal for help." Then the people asked: "If he cannot do (even) that?" The Prophet said finally: "Then he should perform good deeds and keep away from evil deeds, and that will be regarded as charitable deeds." - Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 2, Hadith 524

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
kawaiigardiner
09-26-2009, 02:11 PM
This is from what I have heard; although Muhammad ate meat - he did eat it very seldomly and preferred a more simple diet rather than expensive luxuries (of which meat would most likely would have been a luxury).

Eating too much meat isn't good for you; it causes heart disease, indigestion, and many other ailments that are linked to having a extravagant lifestyle (American obesity being the best example).

For me, I have meat 3 times a week max; it saves money and it makes me eat more vegetables and other good sources of food God has given us to enjoy.

Elizabeth
11-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Thank you so much for this information, I have been a vegetarian for over four years and I was so unsure about what Islam's position on keeping this diet was..

The_Prince
11-02-2009, 11:49 PM
i just had some chicken, tasted real gooddddddd, you missing out!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Elizabeth
11-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Aha I'm glad you enjoyed it but it's not to my taste. :p

Blackpool
11-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Never touched the following foods in my lifetime;

Meat
Eggs
Cheese
Fish

You could say I live on a vegan diet and I'm proud of it!

alcurad
11-03-2009, 12:40 AM
^sheesh man, why? this is beyond understanding..fish practically don't Have brains, eggs are not even developed to feel anything, mean we've been eating for our existence but I can see why, and cheese??

alcurad
11-03-2009, 12:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
^ this is beyond understanding..fish practically don't Have brains, eggs are not even developed to feel anything, mean we've been eating for our existence but I can see why, and cheese??
maybe you're joking?..

Elizabeth
11-03-2009, 12:56 AM
Wow I don't think I could function without eating cheese..It's too delicious!

Woodrow
11-03-2009, 01:29 AM
Many Muslims in the USA are obligated to be vegetarians as Halal meat is not to be found in some areas. Some of us are fortunate to live in farm regions and can raise and slaughter our own assuring it is halal, but we are few and far apart. At the moment I have no food animals being raised and probably will not for a few years, so for the forseeable future I will be living a vegetarian life style except for the rare times I can get halal meat from trusted sources.

Sadly very few Muslims coming to the USA choose to be farmers. They mostly decide to be Doctors. Doctors in a country that already has more Doctors than farmers.

I wonder what is going to happen if we reach the point where there are no Muslim Farmers as everybody wants to be Scholars, Doctors, Engineers, Teachers etc.

Blackpool
11-03-2009, 09:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
^sheesh man, why? this is beyond understanding..fish practically don't Have brains, eggs are not even developed to feel anything, mean we've been eating for our existence but I can see why, and cheese??
Phenylketonuria. It's a very strict diet that I've had since birth so my meals mainly consists of vegetables and my snacks are fruit. The great thing is my cholesterol is absolutely spot on and my weight is healthy. I love it :D

Snowflake
11-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Modern researchers have also begun to favor meat again as an important part of the diet. For years, it was unpopular within the health industry after it was found to contain fats that potentially cause heart disease and obesity, and a structure that requires a longer digestive time and causes constipation and increased body toxicity.
:sl:

Let's not forget that in the times of the Prophet (saw) and before intensive farming, animals grazed on grasses, plants and bushes and their meat was of far better quality than what we eat today. Yet even in the Prophet's (saw) times the meat from the beduoins' sheep was prefered over the meat from a city sheep, due to the beduoins sheep having grazed on wild plants and herbs.

The Prophet (saw) also mentioned which parts of which animal were best along with which foods should not be combined. So while modern researchers now claim meat is good for you after all, we should still take the prophet's advice on food in general. Today people find it strange to eat one or two foods together and a meal often consists of 3-4 different foods at least - not to mention all sorts of beverages consumed with meals. The wrong combination of foods can make a perfectly healthy food harmful to us and make our body weak. Therefore it isn't simply a matter of whether meat is good for us or not. It's the whole way of eating we should be looking at. And what better way to look at it than from the Prophet's point of view in (Healing with the medicine of the Prophet - by Imam Ibn Qayyim al-Jauziyah).

:wa:

although Muhammad ate meat - he did eat it very seldomly and preferred a more simple diet rather than expensive luxuries (of which meat would most likely would have been a luxury).
Correct!

Asiyaah
12-03-2009, 02:41 AM
Asalaam 'Alaykum everyone, I found this page to be a great information on vegetarian Muslims and the Islamic duty to be compassionate to animals:
http://www.ivu.org/news/1-96/muslim.html

ruk
12-19-2009, 07:49 AM
In the name of Allah (The Glorified and Exalted),

Islam is a way of life in service to Allah (God). The purpose of sending a Messenger to mankind is to tell people what is right and wrong and what they may or may not do.

Islam is a religion of balance and moderation, not extreme to either the left or right. We are taught kindness to animals, etc. But going to the extent of becoming a vegetarian is an extreme not condoned by Allah (The Exalted). One must eat animal meat from time to time if one can afford to. And Muslims must participate in slaying goats or other animals during the time of Eid-Al Adha because this part of our religion.

Outlawing certain things for oneself when it is not mentioned in the Qur'an or hadith, is contradictory to obedience toward Allah (The Glorified) and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). There is a story in which the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) had made honey forbidden for himself, and Allah (The Exalted) sent a Qur'anic verse telling His Messenger to not forbid anything that the Almighty has allowed, "O prophet! Why do you forbid (for yourself) that which Allah has allowed to you, seeking to please your wives? And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful" [66:1].

"And why should you not eat of that (meat) on which Allah's Name has been pronounced (at the time of slaughtering the animal), while He has explained to you in detail what is forbidden to you, except under compulsion of necessity? And surely many do lead (mankind) astray by their own desires through lack of knowledge. Certainly your Lord knows best the transgressors." [6:119]

Creating laws for oneself is a kind of insulting the Creator (may He be Glorified) and thinking, "I know better than Allah (God) about what is right and wrong for mankind's well-being."

It is not permissible for any Muslim to be a vegetarian, one must seek to find halaal meat. The following websites are helpful, there are also others online in Canada, US, UK:

1) http://www.midamarhalal.com/index.asp

2) http://www.myhalalmeat.com/webshop/c...?section=about

3) Browse restaurants and stores on the right:
http://www.zabihah.com/

* Please do not spread the website links of deviant groups, with their lack of proper Islamic studies from a credited Islamic university, who simply follow their own liberal beliefs because of the society they were raised in. One can not believe everything that is simply placed on the internet, or else you will become misguided.

And Allah (The Glorified and Exalted) Knows Best.

Pomak
12-20-2009, 12:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ruk
In the name of Allah (The Glorified and Exalted),

Islam is a way of life in service to Allah (God). The purpose of sending a Messenger to mankind is to tell people what is right and wrong and what they may or may not do.

Islam is a religion of balance and moderation, not extreme to either the left or right. We are taught kindness to animals, etc. But going to the extent of becoming a vegetarian is an extreme not condoned by Allah (The Exalted). One must eat animal meat from time to time if one can afford to. And Muslims must participate in slaying goats or other animals during the time of Eid-Al Adha because this part of our religion.

Outlawing certain things for oneself when it is not mentioned in the Qur'an or hadith, is contradictory to obedience toward Allah (The Glorified) and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). There is a story in which the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) had made honey forbidden for himself, and Allah (The Exalted) sent a Qur'anic verse telling His Messenger to not forbid anything that the Almighty has allowed, "O prophet! Why do you forbid (for yourself) that which Allah has allowed to you, seeking to please your wives? And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful" [66:1].

"And why should you not eat of that (meat) on which Allah's Name has been pronounced (at the time of slaughtering the animal), while He has explained to you in detail what is forbidden to you, except under compulsion of necessity? And surely many do lead (mankind) astray by their own desires through lack of knowledge. Certainly your Lord knows best the transgressors." [6:119]

Creating laws for oneself is a kind of insulting the Creator (may He be Glorified) and thinking, "I know better than Allah (God) about what is right and wrong for mankind's well-being."

It is not permissible for any Muslim to be a vegetarian, one must seek to find halaal meat. The following websites are helpful, there are also others online in Canada, US, UK:

1) http://www.midamarhalal.com/index.asp

2) http://www.myhalalmeat.com/webshop/c...?section=about

3) Browse restaurants and stores on the right:
http://www.zabihah.com/

* Please do not spread the website links of deviant groups, with their lack of proper Islamic studies from a credited Islamic university, who simply follow their own liberal beliefs because of the society they were raised in. One can not believe everything that is simply placed on the internet, or else you will become misguided.

And Allah (The Glorified and Exalted) Knows Best.
To be fair I've had people(Muslims) justify not eating meat because the way the meat is killed is more often than not not that humane. Esp chickens, even if those are free range they are usually stuffed with drugs to make em grow super fast.

Disclaimer: I eat meat

Woodrow
12-20-2009, 01:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pomak
To be fair I've had people(Muslims) justify not eating meat because the way the meat is killed is more often than not not that humane. Esp chickens, even if those are free range they are usually stuffed with drugs to make em grow super fast.

Disclaimer: I eat meat

I live in one of the largest Beef producing regions in the world, yet halal beef is almost non-existent here. About the only halal meat I can find I have to get in Fargo. There is a Muslim family near Fargo that raises goats and sell it in the Asian Market, but the herd is still small and they only slaughter about one goat a month. Not much meat for the Muslim Population in ND. May not be many of us, but one goat doesn't go very far. He is the only source of meat, that I can be certain is halal. There are a few stores in Bismarck and Fargo that claim to sell Halal meat, but I have doubts about it being halal, so I don't buy it.

So until I can raise my own, I guess I will be predominatly vegetarian.

bamboozled
03-05-2010, 11:20 PM
This video answers every single question or point mentioned here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC9bt...eature=related

there are slightly better quality versions avaiable if you are preperred to do a youtube search, but mashallah, he answers everything in like a minute. Love his opening statement!!!!!!!!!!!

PreciousMuham
03-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Whats wrong with pigs?

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-14-2010, 06:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PreciousMuham
Whats wrong with pigs?
It's too late to ask that question, you nincompoop!!!! After your account being disabled for what you've done yesterday...;D;D;D

Italianguy
03-14-2010, 06:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PreciousMuham
Whats wrong with pigs?
His way of life indicates Muslim and he says, whats wrong with pigs??^o) Is he joking or something?

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-14-2010, 06:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
His way of life indicates Muslim and he says, whats wrong with pigs??^o) Is he joking or something?
Hey, his way of life is not Muslim...He was one of the jerks who made fake accounts to spam and upload some very offending links...:raging::raging::raging: Now guess why his account is disabled...:D the same day he created. With just one post, his account is disabled...lol

tresbien
03-14-2010, 02:16 PM
http://www.islamicmedicine.org/food.htm

Italianguy
03-14-2010, 02:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmajid
Hey, his way of life is not Muslim...He was one of the jerks who made fake accounts to spam and upload some very offending links...:raging::raging::raging: Now guess why his account is disabled...:D the same day he created. With just one post, his account is disabled...lol
Oh wow, I didn't even notice he only had one post.^o) what a bum;D H'e not going to make allot of friends doing that here.;D

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Oh wow, I didn't even notice he only had one post.^o) what a bum;D H'e not going to make allot of friends doing that here.;D
His chapter's closed...kicked out of the forums...;D;D;D
We're going offtopic...:embarrass:embarrass:embarrass

Italianguy
03-14-2010, 04:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmajid
His chapter's closed...kicked out of the forums...;D;D;D
We're going offtopic...:embarrass:embarrass:embarrass
Sorry, back on topic then mate. Has anybody really answered the question yet? Can a Muslim be a vegetarian? Does it say you have to eat meat in the Qur'an or hadiths?

Ramadhan
03-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Of course a muslim can be a vegetarian.
Did you not read thread title?

A muslim can be strictly vegetarian.
a muslim can be strictly carnivore.
there is no limit.
The limit is that you don't eat food that has been made haram (such as pig and animals that have been killed without mentioning the name of Allah or has been killed in a way that is forbidden in the Qur'an).
Regarding eating, There is also a sunnah that says you should eat when you are hungry and stop eating before you are full.

Italianguy
03-14-2010, 09:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
Of course a muslim can be a vegetarian.
Did you not read thread title?

A muslim can be strictly vegetarian.
a muslim can be strictly carnivore.
there is no limit.
The limit is that you don't eat food that has been made haram (such as pig and animals that have been killed without mentioning the name of Allah or has been killed in a way that is forbidden in the Qur'an).
Regarding eating, There is also a sunnah that says you should eat when you are hungry and stop eating before you are full.
What makes a type of food halal food? Like, how it is cooked or something? Or how it's packaged?

I may be reading your qoute wrong, but you said pig unless it is killed without mentioning the name of Allah? Does that mean pork is ok if mentioned to Allah? I am going with no, but i was just asking, again I may have read your words wrong.

God be with you.

Ramadhan
03-14-2010, 10:25 PM
What makes a type of food halal food? Like, how it is cooked or something? Or how it's packaged?

I may be reading your qoute wrong, but you said pig unless it is killed without mentioning the name of Allah? Does that mean pork is ok if mentioned to Allah? I am going with no, but i was just asking, again I may have read your words wrong.

God be with you.
Unlike kosher food, whose regulation are quite complex, halal food requirement are very easy to follow, as Islam does not make things difficult.

With regard to food, the Qur’aan forbids some foods and mentions them in detail, and some others are mentioned in the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

The Qur’aan mentions some general principles that have to do with food, then all of that is explained in detail in the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Some of the issues that are discussed in detail in the Qur’aan are the following. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم): ‘I find not in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be Maytah (a dead animal) or blood poured forth (by slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of swine (pork); for that surely, is impure or impious (unlawful) meat (of an animal) which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah (or has been slaughtered for idols, or on which Allaah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering). But whosoever is forced by necessity without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits; (for him) certainly, your Lord is Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful’”

[al-An’aam 6:145]

“Forbidden to you (for food) are: Al‑Maitah (the dead animals — cattle — beast not slaughtered), blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which Allaah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering (that which has been slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah, or has been slaughtered for idols) and that which has been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by the goring of horns — and that which has been (partly) eaten by a wild animal — unless you are able to slaughter it (before its death) ‑ and that which is sacrificed (slaughtered) on An‑Nusub (stone‑altars). (Forbidden) also is to use arrows seeking luck or decision; (all) that is Fisqun (disobedience of Allaah and sin)”

[al-Maa’idah 5:3]

With regard to some principles, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and eat and drink but waste not by extravagance, certainly He (Allaah) likes not Al‑Musrifoon (those who waste by extravagance)”

[al-A’raaf 7:31]

This prohibition on extravagance in eating and drinking is general in meaning and does not apply to any particular type of food or drink.

pig meat in any form is haram.

“He has forbidden you only Al Maitah (meat of a dead animal), blood, the flesh of swine, and any animal which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah (or has been slaughtered for idols or on which Allaah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering). But if one is forced by necessity, without wilful disobedience, and not transgressing, then, Allaah is Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful

[al-Nahl 16:115]

all plants are halal, unless they are poisonous or detrimental to your health.

Animals must be killed in the most merciful way, and that means by swift slaughter with very sharp blade. If it is killed by any other forms (such as clubbing or electrocution, then it is haram)

all which comes from the sea are halal:
--------------------------------
Are there any types of seafood that Muslims are not permitted to eat?
Please forgive me for my ignorance in this matter. I am very interested in learning the ways of Islam. My question concerns dietary rulings. What types of fish and seafood are permissible?
Thank you for your help.

Praise be to Allaah.

Among the blessings that Allaah has bestowed upon us is the fact that He has made our religion easy for us, and has not made it too difficult or unbearable. He has allowed us many things that were forbidden according to previously-revealed laws. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… Allaah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you…” [al-Baqarah 2:185].

Hence all kinds of food from the sea are permissible, whether they are plants or animals, alive or dead. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel…” [al-Maa’idah 5:96]. Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “ Sayduhu (lit. hunting, pursuit) refers to whatever is taken from it alive, and ta’aamuhu (lit. its food) means whatever is taken dead.”

There are a few things – certain types of water animals – which some scholars exclude from the permission outlined above. These are:

Crocodiles. The correct view is that eating these is not allowed, because they have fangs and live on land – even though they may spend a lot of time in the water – so precedence should be given to the reason for forbidding it (it is a land animal that has fangs).

Frogs. It is not permitted to eat them because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade killing them, as is reported in the hadeeth of ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Uthmaan, who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the killing of frogs. (Narrated by Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Maajah; see also Saheeh al-Jaami, 6970). The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it.

Some scholars exclude sea snakes, but the correct view is that as they live nowhere except in the water, we are permitted to eat them, because of the general nature of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves …” [al-Maa’idah 5:96].

Otters and turtles. The correct view is that to be on the safe side, it is permissible to eat them after slaughtering them properly, because they live both on land and in the sea. Here the rule is that in the case of animals that live both on land and in the sea, the rules concerning land animals should be given precedence, to be on the safe side, so they must be slaughtered properly, except for crabs which do not need to be slaughtered, even though they live both on land and in the sea, because they do not have blood.

Everything that can cause harm is forbidden as food, even if it comes from the sea, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allaah is Most Merciful to you.” [al-Nisa’ 4:29] and: “… and do not throw yourselves into destruction…” [al-Baqarah 2:195].

(See al-Mughni, 11/83; Haashiyah al-Rawd, 7/430; Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/197; and Ahkaam al-At’imah by al-Fawzaan).

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
-------------------------

And Allah SWT warns people who make things halal become haram:

“O you who believe! Make not unlawful the tayyibaat (all that is good) which Allaah has made lawful to you, and transgress not. Verily, Allaah does not like the transgressors.” [al-Maa’idah 5:87]

“Say: ‘Who has forbidden the adornment with clothes given by Allaah, which He has produced for His slaves, and al-Tayyibaat [all kinds of halaal (lawful) things] of food?’ Say: ‘They are, in the life of this world, for those who believe, (and) exclusively for them (believers) on the Day of Resurrection (the disbelievers will not share them).’ Thus We explain the aayaat (Islamic law) in detail for people who have knowledge.” [al-A‘raaf 7:32]

“Say: ‘Tell me, what provision Allaah has sent down to you! And you have made of it lawful and unlawful.’ Say: ‘has Allaah permitted you (to do so), or do you invent a lie against Allaah?’” [Yoonus 10:59]

Allaah has also warned His slave against forbidding anything without knowledge. He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“And say not concerning that which your tongues put forth falsely: ‘This is lawful and this is forbidden,’ so as to invent lies against Allaah. Verily, those who invent lies against Allaah will never prosper.” [al-Nahl 16:116]

Italianguy
03-14-2010, 10:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
Unlike kosher food, whose regulation are quite complex, halal food requirement are very easy to follow, as Islam does not make things difficult.

With regard to food, the Qur’aan forbids some foods and mentions them in detail, and some others are mentioned in the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

The Qur’aan mentions some general principles that have to do with food, then all of that is explained in detail in the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Some of the issues that are discussed in detail in the Qur’aan are the following. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم): ‘I find not in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be Maytah (a dead animal) or blood poured forth (by slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of swine (pork); for that surely, is impure or impious (unlawful) meat (of an animal) which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah (or has been slaughtered for idols, or on which Allaah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering). But whosoever is forced by necessity without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits; (for him) certainly, your Lord is Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful’”

[al-An’aam 6:145]

“Forbidden to you (for food) are: Al‑Maitah (the dead animals — cattle — beast not slaughtered), blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which Allaah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering (that which has been slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah, or has been slaughtered for idols) and that which has been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by the goring of horns — and that which has been (partly) eaten by a wild animal — unless you are able to slaughter it (before its death) ‑ and that which is sacrificed (slaughtered) on An‑Nusub (stone‑altars). (Forbidden) also is to use arrows seeking luck or decision; (all) that is Fisqun (disobedience of Allaah and sin)”

[al-Maa’idah 5:3]

With regard to some principles, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and eat and drink but waste not by extravagance, certainly He (Allaah) likes not Al‑Musrifoon (those who waste by extravagance)”

[al-A’raaf 7:31]

This prohibition on extravagance in eating and drinking is general in meaning and does not apply to any particular type of food or drink.

pig meat in any form is haram.

“He has forbidden you only Al Maitah (meat of a dead animal), blood, the flesh of swine, and any animal which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah (or has been slaughtered for idols or on which Allaah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering). But if one is forced by necessity, without wilful disobedience, and not transgressing, then, Allaah is Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful

[al-Nahl 16:115]

all plants are halal, unless they are poisonous or detrimental to your health.

Animals must be killed in the most merciful way, and that means by swift slaughter with very sharp blade. If it is killed by any other forms (such as clubbing or electrocution, then it is haram)

all which comes from the sea are halal:
--------------------------------
Are there any types of seafood that Muslims are not permitted to eat?
Please forgive me for my ignorance in this matter. I am very interested in learning the ways of Islam. My question concerns dietary rulings. What types of fish and seafood are permissible?
Thank you for your help.

Praise be to Allaah.

Among the blessings that Allaah has bestowed upon us is the fact that He has made our religion easy for us, and has not made it too difficult or unbearable. He has allowed us many things that were forbidden according to previously-revealed laws. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… Allaah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you…” [al-Baqarah 2:185].

Hence all kinds of food from the sea are permissible, whether they are plants or animals, alive or dead. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel…” [al-Maa’idah 5:96]. Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “ Sayduhu (lit. hunting, pursuit) refers to whatever is taken from it alive, and ta’aamuhu (lit. its food) means whatever is taken dead.”

There are a few things – certain types of water animals – which some scholars exclude from the permission outlined above. These are:

Crocodiles. The correct view is that eating these is not allowed, because they have fangs and live on land – even though they may spend a lot of time in the water – so precedence should be given to the reason for forbidding it (it is a land animal that has fangs).

Frogs. It is not permitted to eat them because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade killing them, as is reported in the hadeeth of ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Uthmaan, who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the killing of frogs. (Narrated by Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Maajah; see also Saheeh al-Jaami, 6970). The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it.

Some scholars exclude sea snakes, but the correct view is that as they live nowhere except in the water, we are permitted to eat them, because of the general nature of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves …” [al-Maa’idah 5:96].

Otters and turtles. The correct view is that to be on the safe side, it is permissible to eat them after slaughtering them properly, because they live both on land and in the sea. Here the rule is that in the case of animals that live both on land and in the sea, the rules concerning land animals should be given precedence, to be on the safe side, so they must be slaughtered properly, except for crabs which do not need to be slaughtered, even though they live both on land and in the sea, because they do not have blood.

Everything that can cause harm is forbidden as food, even if it comes from the sea, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allaah is Most Merciful to you.” [al-Nisa’ 4:29] and: “… and do not throw yourselves into destruction…” [al-Baqarah 2:195].

(See al-Mughni, 11/83; Haashiyah al-Rawd, 7/430; Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/197; and Ahkaam al-At’imah by al-Fawzaan).

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
-------------------------

And Allah SWT warns people who make things halal become haram:

“O you who believe! Make not unlawful the tayyibaat (all that is good) which Allaah has made lawful to you, and transgress not. Verily, Allaah does not like the transgressors.” [al-Maa’idah 5:87]

“Say: ‘Who has forbidden the adornment with clothes given by Allaah, which He has produced for His slaves, and al-Tayyibaat [all kinds of halaal (lawful) things] of food?’ Say: ‘They are, in the life of this world, for those who believe, (and) exclusively for them (believers) on the Day of Resurrection (the disbelievers will not share them).’ Thus We explain the aayaat (Islamic law) in detail for people who have knowledge.” [al-A‘raaf 7:32]

“Say: ‘Tell me, what provision Allaah has sent down to you! And you have made of it lawful and unlawful.’ Say: ‘has Allaah permitted you (to do so), or do you invent a lie against Allaah?’” [Yoonus 10:59]

Allaah has also warned His slave against forbidding anything without knowledge. He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“And say not concerning that which your tongues put forth falsely: ‘This is lawful and this is forbidden,’ so as to invent lies against Allaah. Verily, those who invent lies against Allaah will never prosper.” [al-Nahl 16:116]
Thank you for that extensive reply! God be with you.

OurIslamic
03-19-2010, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
i just had some chicken, tasted real gooddddddd, you missing out!
Lol, that's mean.

Esther462
03-19-2010, 07:10 PM
I eat halal meat when I have time to travel to my big town that sells it, just over an hour away from my house. I buy loads and frezze it but I only do that when I can aford it. The rest of my time I eat veg and quron and it all tates good.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.