/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Muslims' Website

Nur-ud-Dean
09-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Asalaamu alaikum,

My name is Nur-ud-Dean, a five-year convert to Islam. I have developed a website trying to address the practical and spiritual needs of new Muslims in the UK:
New Muslim Dhikr

Hopefully it will be a good source of information and interest.

Let me know what you think. I know there are many websites for New Muslims, but none of them seem to cover everything that's required. That's our aim. We need people to get involved, give suggestions and contribute.

Nur-ud-Dean

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nur-ud-Dean
09-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Features include:
- information on Islam
- information on Sufis and dhikr
- details of dhikr gatherings
- Arabic study
- forums

...and more...

zeerina
09-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Salam Brother

I find that many 'new Muslim' websites dont address the challenges that new Muslims encounter when they come to the deen. Converts can have issues around alcohol, drugs, sex and I a simple 'just stop doing it' isnt going to cut it. Also converts can come across prejudice when they go to a mosque, the place they should find warmth! Judgements made on not only the colour of your skin but on the clothes you may be wearing even if they are modest. Do you intend to address these issues such as these on your website?

Nur-ud-Dean
09-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Wa salaams.

I agree with you that most NM websites are inadequate - that's why I've started my own! I really want it to provide everything that a new convert needs.

Regarding those specific issues, I agree that they need to be addressed much more realistically. I'm not going to pretend that I've provided that yet. Would you like to help us? I'm really looking for people to develop it with me according to the needs they identify.

It sounds like you've got clear ideas about what's needed - share them!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
frindlymuslim
09-28-2009, 10:43 AM
The Religion Of Islam

Deen Show

zeerina
09-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Yes Brother I will help you any way I can
Would send you my email address but cant send a private msg cos Ive not posted enough!

Nur-ud-Dean
09-28-2009, 08:21 PM
admin@newmuslimdhikr.co.uk

kwolney01
09-28-2009, 08:48 PM
This is a great idea brother! I'm a convert also and I do believe that a website needs to be more well rounded for a convert. There are a lot of changes that occur when you convert and it would be great to have something on the website that speaks on coping with your conversion. Also, maybe some helpful tips on telling your family and friends about your conversion. I had a hard time telling my family and it just ended up that they already knew I had converted before I even told them!

The website looks great brother. Maybe you can add a little more in the Arabic section and maybe a little more detail in the prayer section. I know I had a hard time learning how to pray and pronouncing the words, if you could find something on that, that would be really useful. Some converts may not have someone close to them who can teach them.

Jazak Allah Khair

Nur-ud-Dean
09-28-2009, 09:00 PM
That's a really good idea. Maybe if we start another thread on conversion tips, then write an article based on that? Maybe you'd like to take charge of that task - I'd be happy to make you an Editor on the site if you're interested in contributing that sort of stuff. If I do everything myself it'll take forever - and not be very good!

Inshallah the Arabic section will be comprehensive, over time - what specifically did you have in mind?

zeerina
09-28-2009, 09:05 PM
That sounds like a great idea.

Nur-ud-Dean
09-28-2009, 09:21 PM
That's decided then!

__________________________________________________ __________
Friendly Muslim:
I tried to reply to your message but apparently I cannot send PMs yet. So here is my response to your question, 'Why Sufism?'

The criticisms made of Sufi beliefs in the website you mention do not ring true: there may be Sufis who believe those things, but they do not represent mainstream thought, any more than Osama bin Laden is the mouthpiece for Muslims around the world. You can't believe everything you read.

Why did I join the Sufis? For the same reason I joined Islam; because I wanted truth and nearness to God. I have travelled and tasted the various flavours of Islam; some were bitter, others mild, but the Sufi lifestyle seemed most authentic to my heart. And that's an organ I've learned to trust. Being a Sufi boils down to one simple thing: to make the remembrance of Allah part of everything you do, right down to each breath.

If there's anything more specific you want to talk about why not start a dedicated thread?

frindlymuslim
09-29-2009, 06:58 AM

helping people around the world convert to Islam and Learn their Islam

Nur-ud-Dean
09-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Could you elaborate? Are you saying that this website you've posted is enough?

frindlymuslim
09-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Sure there are areas not covered by this website, so, you can create new idea and do your website areas not covered

Al Mu'minaat
09-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Aslamalakium wa rahmatulah wa barakatu...

Maashlalah brother.. i think the website is great.. but i would highly recommend you 2 add audio quran.. lectures ( for example: sheik Yusuf Estes) .. but apart from that mashallah.. great web :p

Nur-ud-Dean
09-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Agreed, audio and video are on their way - as soon as I get to it!

If you have links to particularly good resources that would be great.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.