View Full Version : Want That Job? 6 Body Language Tips

جوري
09-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Want That Job? 6 Body Language Tips

Filed under: Employment Trends, Interview Tips, Career Advice Print Article
Posted Feb 17th 2009 3:48PM
Reviewed September, 2009
Janine Driver, "Lyin' Tamer"
Reading and understanding body language is critical to your success in a job interview. Non-verbal communication equips you to understand what an interviewer is thinking, helping you tweak your body language to get them to like you ... and offer you the job!

1. The wet fish vs. the bone crusher

The handshake tells a story about each of us. Do you shake hands softly? Do you come in from the top and deliver a "bone crusher?" Aggressive people have firm handshakes; those with low self-esteem have limp, "wet fish" handshakes.
A great handshake is a three-step process:

• Make sure your hands are clean and adequately manicured.
  • Ensure hands are warm and free of perspiration.
  • Execute your handshake professionally and politely, with a firm grip and a warm smile.

2. The eyes have it

What's considered an appropriate amount of eye contact may vary in different countries. In North America, 60 percent eye contact is a safe figure -- one that can give hiring managers a feeling of comfort about you. More eye contact than this and you may seem too intense; any less and you risk appearing disinterested.
Eye contact tips:

• When you meet the interviewer, look her right in the eyes, then think to yourself, "Wow, so great to finally meet you!" This will make you smile, and she'll pick up on your positive mood. When we look at someone we find interesting, our pupils dilate, a phenomenon the other person instinctively picks up on.
  • During a job interview, keep your eye contact in the upside-down triangle area of your interviewer's face: from the left eyebrow, to the nose, back up to the right eyebrow. Warning: Staring at a person's lips is considered sexual, while looking at their forehead is considered condescending.

More Telling Features:

3. Get it straight

Posture is an important thing to master on an interview: Get your posture straight and your confidence will elevate with it. Next time you notice you are feeling a bit down, pay attention to how you are sitting or standing. Chances are you'll be slouched over with your shoulders drooping down and inward. This collapses the chest and inhibits breathing, which can make you feel nervous or uncomfortable.

4. Get a "head" of the game

When you want to feel confident and self-assured during an interview, keep your head level, both horizontally and vertically. Also assume this position when your goal is to be taken seriously. Conversely, when you want to be friendly and in the listening, receptive mode, tilt your head just a little to one side or other.

5. Arms lend a hand, too

Arms offer clues as to how open and receptive we are, so keep your arms to the side of your body. This shows you are not scared to take on whatever comes your way. Quieter people tend to move their arms away from their body less often than outgoing people, who use their arms with big movements. Keep gestures within the frame of your body, or you'll risk being seen as out of control. Avoid the negative action of crossing your arms during the interview.
Here are two common perceptions of hand gestures:

• Palms slightly up and outward: open and friendly
  • Palm-down gestures: dominant and possibly aggressive

6. Get a leg up on the competition

Our legs tend to move around a lot more than normal when we are nervous, stressed or being deceptive. As a result, try to keep them as still as possible during the interview. You should not cross your legs during a job interview, as it creates a barrier between you and the interviewer and may lead to fidgeting. When you cross your ankle at the knee, this is known as the "figure four," and is generally perceived as the most defensive leg cross.
Next: Body Language Photo Gallery >>

Janine Driver, Lyin' Tamer, is a body language & deception detection expert, author, and contributor to NBC's Today Show. Janine offers her signature training to Fortune 500 companies across the globe, to give them an edge in the game of life! For your free mini-course on "Body Language Business Bloopers Successful People Avoid at All Costs" visit www.lyintamer.com today.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2009/02/17/want-that-job-6-body-language-tips/?ncid=AOLCOMMjobsDYNLprim0001&icid=main|htmlws-main|dl4|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fjobs.aol.com%2Farticle s%2F2009%2F02%2F17%2Fwant-that-job-6-body-language-tips%2F%3Fncid%3DAOLCOMMjobsDYNLprim0001

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
kwolney01
09-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Great tips sis, I have an interview for a internship and this will defiantly help.

Body language really does give a lot of information about the person and how they are feeling at that time.

Cabdullahi
09-25-2009, 09:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kwolney01

Body language really does give a lot of information about the person and how they are feeling at that time.
yes you are right but manicure doesn't!

referring to the line
'' Make sure your hands are clean and adequately manicured.''

Salahudeen
09-25-2009, 09:26 PM
great tips sis

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Danah
09-25-2009, 09:29 PM
:sl:

Good post and better for someone like me who is looking for a job recently

some tips will not work for me......I had done some interviews in Uni with some professors but I felt so nervous because they themselves couldnt look at my face as a whole but only FOCUS on my eyes since I wear a niqab.....that make me feel very nervous that I couldnt even keep the eye contact with them <_<

Its interesting to play both roles on the interview, I remember last semester I was the interviewer of My Professor and we were acting that I am a project manager and he was a company boss who want me to draw a plan for him.....and it was very stressful one but at least I knew how to corner the one I interview with questions in order to get what I want from him. It turns good and Alhumdulilah I got a good grade at that interview as an interviewer :)

Off topic note: plz everyone, make duaa that I will find a job as soon as possible, I cant stand staying at home doing nothing T_T

student12322
09-25-2009, 09:29 PM
if i was interviewing someone i honestly wouldnt care if the person gave me a firm handshake or kept eye contact or head level etc.

just be yourself and if the employer is clever they will see you are an honest and hardworking person who should be employed.

student12322
09-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Y am i a limited member lol

Hayaa
09-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Jazakillah khair for that! I'll keep 'em in mind for the future! =]

format_quote Originally Posted by student12322
Y am i a limited member lol
You need a minimum of 50 posts to be a full member and have access to certain advantages.

Muezzin
09-26-2009, 03:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
yes you are right but manicure doesn't!

referring to the line
'' Make sure your hands are clean and adequately manicured.''
I think the writer means 'make sure you've cut your finger nails'.

Bad personal hygiene can hurts one's chances.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.