/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Mehndi Allowed or not?

Najm
09-26-2009, 07:26 PM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Is mehndi allowed for groom or bride?

FiAmaaniAllah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
09-26-2009, 07:48 PM
ive never seen henna designs on the groom :O but for the bride there is nothing wrong with her using it as a form of beautification for her wedding

Hayaa
09-26-2009, 08:34 PM
:sl:

for women: http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=1470&CATE=239

for men: http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=3661&CATE=418

Najm
09-27-2009, 05:33 AM

I see, further to my question, i am refering to the occasion of mehndi that takes place couple of days before the wedding in the "asian culture". What does Islam say about this? And would it be ok to have the occasion as long the the groom actually does not applying the henna?

As far as i know the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi WaSalam) or the next best 3 generations never did mehhdi, therefore would it be considered prohibited?

FiAmaaniAllah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
zakirs
09-27-2009, 06:28 AM
I guess only people from sub-continent understand your Q :).

What is meant by an Islamic celebration is a party that is held in accordance with Islamic guidelines, so that it is free of the evils of mixing and women showing their adornments in front of men, and using music and immoral singing, and other things that Allaah has forbidden. These haraam things, unfortunately, are widespread in many Muslim celebrations nowadays, except for those on whom Allaah has mercy.
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/82500 may be this will help ?

Hayaa
09-27-2009, 06:54 AM

Bro Zakir's post brought up excellent points. I think as along as it's within the limits of Islam it should be fine, right? Mehndi's usually take place so the bride and other women can get their henna done before the wedding. It gets out of hand when music/ free-mixing/ etc is involved, though. :\

Allah knows best

Far7an
09-27-2009, 07:50 AM
In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

It is permissible, rather recommended (mandub) to dye the hair of the head (and beard for men) provided the ingredients used in the hair dye are Halal.

Sayyiduna Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Change the old age (white/grey hair), and do not imitate the Jews.” (Sunan Tirmidhi, no.1752 & Sunan Nasa’i)

The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) also stated:

“The best dye to change your old age is Henna (a red plant dye) and Katm (type of grass).” (Sunan Tirmidhi, no. 1753 & others)

There is a difference of opinion among the scholars on whether the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) himself dyed his hair. However Sayyiduna Abu Bakr and Sayyiduna Umar ibn al-Khattab (Allah be pleased with them both) did dye the hair of their head and beard, thus it will be classed as recommended (mandub), if not Sunnah.

The great Hanafi Imam, Ala’ al-Din al-Haskafi states in his Durr al-Mukhtar:

“It is recommended for men to dye their hair (of the head) and beard, even outside war.” (Durr al-Mukhtar, 5: 271)

It is stated in the famous Hanafi Fiqh reference book al-Fatawa al-Hindiyyah:

“The scholars have all unanimously agreed that it is a Sunnah for men to dye the hair of their head and beard with red colour. It is also considered a sign of Muslims.” (5/329)
Fatwa written by Mufti Muhammad ibn Adam.

zakirs
09-27-2009, 10:44 AM
:giggling::giggling: Bro i guess the poster was talking about the custom of "mehendi" get together before marriage :D

Najm
09-27-2009, 01:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zakirs
:giggling::giggling: Bro i guess the poster was talking about the custom of "mehendi" get together before marriage :D

Yep, now explain further....please :embarrass People are deciding this and that without any knowledge of Islam. And ive been told since its my wedding, i would be taking the all sins for any harram that takes place(i.e free mixing etc etc) :cry: is that true???

So if i do a mehendi, and just follow the islamic guidlines, i.e food, be merry, no music, and segragetion, then its ok?

Also, whats the best way to apply segragetion at weddings? I have seen some attempts, but in the end it all goes wrong.

Please advise asap imsad

FiAmaaniAllah

Ummu Sufyaan
09-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Also, whats the best way to apply segragetion at weddings? I have seen some attempts, but in the end it all goes wrong.
have the men and women at 2 different halls?

Najm
09-27-2009, 04:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed

have the men and women at 2 different halls?

Very poor wording on my part. Erm, i believe the hall will serperated into 2 parts, so one part cannot be seen from the other. Thats not the problem...

I was asking how does the bride and groom, get together after all the food has been served etc etc? :exhausted

Waiting patiently for advise :embarrass

FiAmaaniAllah

MSalman
09-27-2009, 06:15 PM

first, this comes from hindu culture

second, what is the point of it? why need to dedicate a special night for this where groom or his side goes over to bride home etc.? Why cannot the bride side do it in their home without so much commotion?

third, Islamic party has to be free of all evil sins: gender mixing, music, etc. If we take this out from mehndi (hina) tradition, what is left in it?

fourthly, this comes under ghuloo (extravagance): spending of money and time.

fithly, as for bride using it to beautify herself then there is nothing wrong in that as the fatawas above say that, insha'Allah.

and Allah knows best

Najm
09-27-2009, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamiclife

first, this comes from hindu culture

second, what is the point of it? why need to dedicate a special night for this where groom or his side goes over to bride home etc.? Why cannot the bride side do it in their home without so much commotion?

third, Islamic party has to be free of all evil sins: gender mixing, music, etc. If we take this out from mehndi (hina) tradition, what is left in it?

fourthly, this comes under ghuloo (extravagance): spending of money and time.

fithly, as for bride using it to beautify herself then there is nothing wrong in that as the fatawas above say that, insha'Allah.

and Allah knows best

Respected Brother, I agree with all your comments.

As far as im aware, the plan set for my "mehndi" that our people come over to our place and have food. Simply like a invite you would give to your relatives. And i believe this is going to happen for the bride side. In this sense would it be ok?

Further, if this would not be ok, what would be the best way of stopping it( and other stuff that may happen at the wedding?)?? As the elderlys have taken over, in this and that etc etc, i.e things are out of my hand.

FiAmaaniAllah

Ayesha_Hanif
09-27-2009, 06:26 PM
i actually wanted to know if the mehndi is from the sunnah? ive herd it ok for men to use in there beard. but what about women to use it? is it from sunnah? if so can i have the daleel. jazakullah

BlissfullyJaded
09-27-2009, 09:04 PM

Henna isn't a new form of adornment. Like kohl, it does go way back, and Arab brides used to adorn themselves with it just as Indian / Pakistani's do.

"What we think with regard to temporary tattoos is that they come under the same ruling as dyeing with henna, if they are done in the manner mentioned in the question and not in the way that is forbidden. This permissibility is subject to several conditions:

1- That the drawing should be temporary and will disappear, and not permanent

2- She should not put any drawings of animate beings

3- She should not appear with that adornment before non-mahram men

4- Those colours and dyes should not be harmful to the skin

5- There should be no resemblance to immoral or kaafir women

6- She should not put any drawings of symbols that venerate deviant religions, corrupt beliefs or misguided ways

7- If it is done by someone else, it should be another woman and it should not be put on any place that is ‘awrah.

If these conditions are met, we do not see any reason why she should not adorn herself with it. "
Source

Ummu Sufyaan
09-28-2009, 07:32 AM
:wasalamex
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm

Very poor wording on my part. Erm, i believe the hall will serperated into 2 parts, so one part cannot be seen from the other. Thats not the problem...

I was asking how does the bride and groom, get together after all the food has been served etc etc? :exhausted

Waiting patiently for advise :embarrass

FiAmaaniAllah
wait until everyone's gone ?

MSalman
09-28-2009, 02:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm

Respected Brother, I agree with all your comments.

As far as im aware, the plan set for my "mehndi" that our people come over to our place and have food. Simply like a invite you would give to your relatives. And i believe this is going to happen for the bride side. In this sense would it be ok?
:wa:

If it is what you are saying then that is fine, insha'Allah. You're inviting your relatives to enjoy some time and food with your family. Cultural things are allowed in Islam as long as they do not oppose Islam, and/or open doors to sins. Even the whole mehndi thing is fine if some women from your household go to bride's house to give some mehndi and/or decorate her hands, etc. But you and I both know that this is not how it usually takes place in out culture: there is lots of commotion about it, gender mixing, music, lots of money wasted on looks & other unnecessary things etc.

It is even permissible for women to sing wedding related poems/traditional songs accompanied with beating of duff. But obviously this has to be done separately by women among themselves.

sometime we tend to be too harsh and sometime too lenient so we need to be balanced, insha'Allah

and Allah knows best

zakirs
09-28-2009, 04:58 PM
The Q&a i quoted above says that celebration of wedding is permitted if it is inside the rulings of Islam.So just make sure there is no music, no dancing , no free mixing of genders and also invite lot of poor people for food time ;) their blessings would also help in case you made any sins unknowingly.

Regarding how do bride and groom get together , Sorry bro you have to consider an imam :( .

Oh and i totally forgot all the best for your wedding :):):)

Najm
10-02-2009, 09:27 PM

JazakAllah Khair for all the advice, it has been helpful and inshaAllah i'll to put it into practice :)

FiAmaaniAllah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.