PDA

View Full Version : Devout Muslim dies after savage beating by 'race-hate' gang



Uthman
09-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Last updated at 1:01 PM on 09th September 2009

A devout Muslim pensioner attacked by a race-hate gang of schoolboys died yesterday.

Ekram Haque, 67, lost his fight for life a week after he was battered to the ground in front of his three-year-old granddaughter, Marian.

As revealed in yesterday's Daily Mail, he suffered horrific head injuries in the assault outside a mosque in Tooting, South-West London, where he had just prayed.

As he and Marian waited for a lift, the gang ran up behind him and clubbed him around the head.

Two other worshippers chased the thugs away but Mr Haque - described by friends as a 'gentle giant' - had suffered horrific head injuries.

His granddaughter has been left 'very shaken and disturbed', said her father, Mr Haque's son Arfan. Graphic images of the attack were caught on CCTV.

Scotland Yard formally launched a murder inquiry after Mr Haque passed away at St George's Hospital, Tooting, where he had been on a life-support machine since the attack.

Police are linking the assault on the retired care worker to a series of other attacks on elderly Asian people near the mosque.

Three of the earlier victims were also pensioners. As local community tensions grew, police stepped up patrols near the Idara E Jaaferiya mosque where Mr Haque was attacked last Monday.

Police say they are treating the attack on Mr Haque as racially motivated.

Arfan, 35, a consumer law adviser, described the incident as 'mindless violence' but urged people in the Muslim community to remain calm.

He said: 'I would urge people in our community to remember that Islam is a peaceful religion and does not condone revenge attacks. If you want to do anything, just pray.

'I have been very impressed how the police have dealt with the attack, and have full confidence in what they are doing.

'Obviously I am concerned for my daughter, who has given a very vivid account of what happened.'

Ekram Haque was born in Calcutta and moved to Belfast in search of work in 1972. He met his wife there and they moved to London in the early 1980s.

Mr Haque originally worked in textiles but later became a warden in a home for the disabled. He retired last year and was looking after Marian on weekdays.

At the time of the attack, he was making final preparations to take her to Pakistan and Australia on holiday.

His son said: 'My father loved living in Britain. He considered himself a Londoner. He was enjoying his retirement and seeing a lot of his granddaughter.

'He was a kind, loving person, who always went out of his way to support anyone who needed support. I just want justice.'

Detective Chief Inspector John McFarlane, from Scotland Yard's homicide and serious crime command, said: 'We urge people who may have been attacked, or who may know who these youths are, to come forward.'

Anyone with information is urged to call the police on 020 8721 4205 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

  • Two youths aged 14 and 15 have appeared before Wimbledon Youth Court accused of committing grievous bodily harm with intent on Mr Haque.
  • They and another boy, aged 12, are also accused of conspiracy to commit GBH and two counts of assault on victims in their 40s and 70s. Another 14-year-old has been charged over the attacks, but has yet to appear in court.

Source
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
09-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Inna lillaahi wa inna ilayhi raaji'oon.

I don't usually post stories from the Daily Mail as a matter of principle, but this one caught me by surprise during Ramadhaan.
Reply

nebula
09-27-2009, 06:50 PM
inna lilaahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon, very sad story
Reply

GreyKode
09-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Uthmān
Inna lillaahi wa inna ilayhi raaji'oon.

I don't usually post stories from the Daily Mail as a matter of principle, but this one caught me by surprise during Ramadhaan.
Inna lillah wa inna ilayhi raji3oon.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
GuestFellow
09-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Inna lillaahi wa inna ilayhi raaji'oon....
Reply

جوري
09-27-2009, 06:58 PM
inna lillah wa'inna ilyhi raji3oon..
have these christian terrorists been brought to justice and main stream media attention?


:w:
Reply

cat eyes
09-27-2009, 07:02 PM
some elders most have got those youths do it because it dose happen they know the youths won't go to an adult prison and probably will get a limited sentence..
Reply

Snowflake
09-27-2009, 07:07 PM
:heated: Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi ra ji'oon. May Allah grant him the highest station in Jannah and punish the evil shaytaans. Ameen

That poor child. I hope she forgets witnessing this awful incident inshaAllah. :(
Reply

GuestFellow
09-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
inna lillah wa'inna ilyhi raji3oon..
have these christian terrorists been brought to justice and main stream media attention?


:w:
Nothing on BBC news yet...
Reply

Uthman
09-27-2009, 07:14 PM
:sl:
Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Nothing on BBC news yet...
I doubt there will be now. The Daily Mail article is dated 9th September.
Reply

transition?
09-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Inna lillaahi wa inna ilayhi raaji'oon.

In this cruel death, surely there is beauty.
We ask Allah (swt) to make our last deed our best. From what we know, this man's last deed was prayer and taking care of his grandchildren. May Allah Accept him in to Jannah and raise him with the believers.

A person is raised doing the last thing they were doing, am I correct?
Reply

czgibson
09-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Greetings,

What a horrific story. I can't understand how anyone could behave so callously.

Originally Posted by Gossamer Skye
have these christian terrorists been brought to justice and main stream media attention?
How do you know they're Christians?

Peace
Reply

جوري
09-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by czgibson

How do you know they're Christians?

Peace
What else could they be so I can label them accordingly?
perhaps atheist terrorists?!

all the best
Reply

czgibson
09-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Greetings,
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
What else could they be so I can label them accordingly?
perhaps atheist terrorists?!

all the best
Well, we don't know. That's, erm, the point.

Peace
Reply

GuestFellow
09-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Well lets not label anyone terrorists...lol.
Reply

GuestFellow
09-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye

isn't that in fact what they have done? terrorized a man to death?

:w:
Asslamu Aliakum sister.

I meant until we find out who did it.
Reply

جوري
09-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Asslamu Aliakum sister.

I meant until we find out who did it.
It would have been the natural conclusion had the suspects been named Mohamed or AbduAllah.. I merely point out the double standards?

either way it doesn't matter.. I have always viewed England as a hateful little racist country and it isn't about to change any time soon even with intense PR moves and diligent apprehension of the perpetrators!

:w:
Reply

czgibson
09-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Greetings,
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
It would have been the natural conclusion had the suspects been named Mohamed or AbduAllah.. I merely point out the double standards?
You're imagining them. These criminals haven't attacked anyone in the name of their religion, have they?

Peace
Reply

جوري
09-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,


You're imagining them. These criminals haven't attacked anyone in the name of their religion, have they?

Peace
if not in the name of religion then why target an elderly Muslim?

all the best
Reply

Humbler_359
09-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Ina Lilahe waina Alahirajioon (to Him we belong and to Him we return)...imsad

Racist groups, obviously.
Reply

czgibson
09-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Greetings,
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
if not in the name of religion then why target an elderly Muslim?
You misunderstand. Let's try again:

As far as we know, these unpleasant thugs haven't said things along the lines of "We did it for Jesus" or "We did it because it is is the will of Buddha" or even "We did it because there is no god". Until they do, labelling them as "Christian terrorists", "Buddhist terrorists" or "atheist terrorists" or anything similar is premature at best and inflammatory at worst.

Peace
Reply

جوري
09-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,


You misunderstand. Let's try again:

As far as we know, these unpleasant thugs haven't said things along the lines of "We did it for Jesus" or "We did it because it is is the will of Buddha" or even "We did it because there is no god". Until they do, labelling them as "Christian terrorists", "Buddhist terrorists" or "atheist terrorists" or anything similar is premature at best and inflammatory at worst.

Peace
No, I don't misunderstand.. you are simply a pedant who needs some abstraction and if you are inept at such an acquisition, then perhaps you should take yourself up on your own offer and engage folks who follow your level of 'intellect'? You certainly speak of it often enough, I wonder why you keep at this board engaging the same members?

You've nothing to offer me personally, and I really can do without your occasional self-congratulatory bombast!

If you didn't get it all along, then you won't get it now, spare any further platitudes on the matter!

all the best!
Reply

Muezzin
09-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Inna lillaahi wa inna ilayhi raaji'oon.

Inshallah the culprits will be caught and punished to the full extent of the law.
Reply

czgibson
09-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Greetings,
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
No, I don't misunderstand.. you are simply a pedant who needs some abstraction and if you are inept at such an acquisition, then perhaps you should take yourself up on your own offer and engage folks who follow your level of 'intellect'? You certainly speak of it often enough, I wonder why you keep at this board engaging the same members?

You've nothing to offer me personally, and I really can do without your occasional self-congratulatory bombast!

If you didn't get it all along, then you won't get it now, spare any further platitudes on the matter!

all the best!
I'm sure everyone can draw their own conclusions on the points you raise.

In any case, hopefully we can all agree that this is a horrific act regardless of the religion of any of the people involved in it.

Peace
Reply

kawaiigardiner
10-01-2009, 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
What else could they be so I can label them accordingly?
perhaps atheist terrorists?!

all the best
Ah, if you haven't realised yet - those of us living in the West are living in a post modern, post christian world with fewer and fewer affiliating themselves with organised religion.
Reply

glo
10-01-2009, 06:25 AM
This is such a tragic story.

I haven't found any news updates, other than three teenagers (14 and 15-year-olds) being charged with murder.

Here is an image of Ekram Haque



And of his granddaughter Marian





I think it is difficult to hear such stories without crying out on the inside "WHY???"
It is horrible to think that in our society there live people (especially young people) who carry within them enough hatred and anger to commit such a pointless and cruel crime!
Reply

glo
10-01-2009, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by czgibson
In any case, hopefully we can all agree that this is a horrific act regardless of the religion of any of the people involved in it.

Peace
Amen to that, czgibson.

(Is it alright to say that to an atheist? :))
Reply

جوري
10-01-2009, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by kawaiigardiner
Ah, if you haven't realised yet - those of us living in the West are living in a post modern, post christian world with fewer and fewer affiliating themselves with organised religion.
That is your own reality. People are prune to seeing what they want see of the world!
until such a time hypocrites free themselves from associating religion with heinous acts, I believe it should be made a Carte Blanche for all, to label the crime of whatever nature to the religious affiliations of the perpetrators whether meek or strong in conviction!
just so the double standards aren't so visible you can scoop it with a spoon~!


all the best
Reply

kawaiigardiner
10-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
That is your own reality. People are prune to seeing what they want see of the world!
until such a time hypocrites free themselves from associating religion with heinous acts, I believe it should be made a Carte Blanche for all, to label the crime of whatever nature to the religious affiliations of the perpetrators whether meek or strong in conviction!
just so the double standards aren't so visible you can scoop it with a spoon~!


all the best
So I assume that you don't claim that the invasion of Iraq by the United States as being part of a 'Christian Crusade' as some Muslims so eloquently put it on youtube? Its interesting how when there is a Muhammad cartoon all hell breaks lose but not a single thing when a Muslim distorts the truth and gives Islam a bad name.
Reply

جوري
10-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by kawaiigardiner
So I assume that you don't claim that the invasion of Iraq by the United States as being part of a 'Christian Crusade' as some Muslims so eloquently put it on youtube? Its interesting how when there is a Muhammad cartoon all hell breaks lose but not a single thing when a Muslim distorts the truth and gives Islam a bad name.
You assume incorrectly. Doesn't logic dictate indeed from what I have just written that I'd and do consider the western invasion of Muslim land a crusade, as it in fact!

It isn't really that covert a statement and further of their own admission

see here:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...tealth-crusade

are you asserting a non-point by stating the obvious?
all hell should break loose indeed when kuffar assault Islam, the same way it does when someone questions the holocaust a five year endeavor from which the Muslims are still made to pay 60 yrs later.

Muslims who 'give Islam a bad name' I believe are held even without trial, again I fail to see your point.
I have to get up for work in four hours, this has been mildly amusing and all, but if we are done here, I'd rather be spared trite observations and derange the topic further by neglecting its essence which is a poor man beaten and murdered by brutes in front of his grandchild!

all the best
Reply

kawaiigardiner
10-01-2009, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
You assume incorrectly. Doesn't logic dictate indeed from what I have just written that I'd and do consider the western invasion of Muslim land a crusade, as it in fact!

It isn't really that covert a statement and further of their own admission

see here:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...tealth-crusade
You West do you now equals the United States of America?

are you asserting a non-point by stating the obvious?
all hell should break loose indeed when kuffar assault Islam, the same way it does when someone questions the holocaust a five year endeavor from which the Muslims are still made to pay 60 yrs later.
Who is making Muslims pay the price - where are Muslims paying the price for the holocaust? How is a Muslim in New York or Chicago affected by something happening on the other side of the world? I suggest you put down Orientalism by Edward Said, you're starting to sound like someone feeling sorry for themselves.

Muslims who 'give Islam a bad name' I believe are held even without trial, again I fail to see your point.
I have to get up for work in four hours, this has been mildly amusing and all, but if we are done here, I'd rather be spared trite observations and derange the topic further by neglecting its essence which is a poor man beaten and murdered by brutes in front of his grandchild!

all the best
I think that your original post answers the first sentence of that paragraph.
Reply

GreyKode
10-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by kawaiigardiner
So I assume that you don't claim that the invasion of Iraq by the United States as being part of a 'Christian Crusade' as some Muslims so eloquently put it on youtube? Its interesting how when there is a Muhammad cartoon all hell breaks lose but not a single thing when a Muslim distorts the truth and gives Islam a bad name.
No not a christian crusade in the first place, but on the other hand George W bush was a very religious christian, so its not unlikely that part of his plans were influenced by his religious beliefs.
Reply

جوري
10-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by kawaiigardiner
You West do you now equals the United States of America?
That is a question you should pose for yourself as you are the one who made that assertion!


Who is making Muslims pay the price - where are Muslims paying the price for the holocaust? How is a Muslim in New York or Chicago affected by something happening on the other side of the world? I suggest you put down Orientalism by Edward Said, you're starting to sound like someone feeling sorry for themselves.
Muslims are one ummah, what affects folks in Indonesia affects me as an American, as for the rest of your query, like I said I don't have time nor interest to teach you history at 3:20 am, nor am I interested in reading books written by pedants for a particular target audience with substandard intellect.

all the best
Reply

kawaiigardiner
10-01-2009, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
That is a question you should pose for yourself as you are the one who made that assertion!
I never made the assertion because when i talk about the West it includes United States, Europe, Canada and numerous other countries - although one would argue that New Zealand is a pacific country.

Muslims are one ummah, what affects folks in Indonesia affects me as an American, as for the rest of your query, like I said I don't have time nor interest to teach you history at 3:20 am, nor am I interested in reading books written by pedants for a particular target audience with substandard intellect.

all the best
And where is this out pouring for those being killed in Sudan? or the women who are forced to undergo female genital mutilation. Seems rather selective of you as to which crusades you're willing to get behind.
Reply

جوري
10-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by kawaiigardiner
I never made the assertion because when i talk about the West it includes United States, Europe, Canada and numerous other countries - although one would argue that New Zealand is a pacific country.
Really, I must have imagined you writing this then:

Originally Posted by kawaiigardiner
Ah, if you haven't realised yet - those of us living in the West are living in a post modern, post christian world with fewer and fewer affiliating themselves with organised religion.

And where is this out pouring for those being killed in Sudan? or the women who are forced to undergo female genital mutilation. Seems rather selective of you as to which crusades you're willing to get behind.
You are confabulating? Female genital mutilation has nothing to do with Islam and in fact I have personally posted an entire article from Harvard on the matter that goes extensively into the history and epidemiology. Peer reviewed, you are welcome to read it and criticize it in a similar fashion providing us with some of your credentials on the matter, or dedicate yet another thread to it, however you are not welcome to waste my time or meander the thread!

all the best
Reply

Ummu Sufyaan
10-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Ekram Haque, 67, lost his fight for life a week after he was battered to the ground in front of his three-year-old granddaughter, Marian.
omg, can u get any more low ?!
Reply

kawaiigardiner
10-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
omg, can u get any more low ?!
Unfortunately society has become more violent - people caring less and less about each other. Individuals using force, be it violence or political to stifle the rights of others under the guise of 'saving society' and 'for the collective interest'.
Reply

Ummu Sufyaan
10-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by kawaiigardiner
Its interesting how when there is a Muhammad cartoon all hell breaks lose but not a single thing when a Muslim distorts the truth and gives Islam a bad name.
are you for real? Muslims try to clear the misconceptions surrounding what is done in "Islams name" and yet these efforts go ignored by "anti islamist/anti Muslim" who are hell bent on emotively bringing up the same old rubbish, despite it being exaplined so many times.

so if people refuse to listen to the truth, it isnt anyone;s fault but theirs.
Reply

kawaiigardiner
10-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
are you for real? Muslims try to clear the misconceptions surrounding what is done in "Islams name" and yet these efforts go ignored by "anti islamist/anti Muslim" who are hell bent on emotively bringing up the same old rubbish, despite it being exaplined so many times.

so if people refuse to listen to the truth, it isnt anyone;s fault but theirs.
If you spent the time to read what I wrote; the point I was making is why there isn't the same sort of protests against terrorism to the same level as there was when the Muhammad cartoons were published?

You also seem to ignore several post following that one post - cherry picking for the sake of selective outrage.
Reply

Ummu Sufyaan
10-01-2009, 01:02 PM
If you spent the time to read what I wrote; the point I was making is why there isn't the same sort of protests against terrorism to the same level as there was when the Muhammad cartoons were published?
i read what you wrote. it seems like you have missed my point. i dont see how the points in my previous post are invalid. what difference does it make in which way an issue is tackled. as long as it is, then who cares. as i said, if people choose to remain un-educated, its no ones fault but their own. you dont have to scream at the top of your lungs and march the streets to denounce something and get your point across.
think outside the box, rather then cherry pick.
Reply

The_Prince
10-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by kawaiigardiner
If you spent the time to read what I wrote; the point I was making is why there isn't the same sort of protests against terrorism to the same level as there was when the Muhammad cartoons were published?

You also seem to ignore several post following that one post - cherry picking for the sake of selective outrage.
why isnt there so much western outrage when innocent iraqis or afghanis are killed by western troops. or when israel kills thousands of civillians, why isnt there so much outrage and sympathy and moments of silence similar to when a 7-7 happens etc?

ppl like you just talk too much crap.
Reply

GuestFellow
10-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by The_Prince
why isnt there so much western outrage when innocent iraqis or afghanis are killed by western troops. or when israel kills thousands of civillians, why isnt there so much outrage and sympathy and moments of silence similar to when a 7-7 happens etc?

ppl like you just talk too much crap.
Yeah. Israel continues to breaks international law and Western politicians don't seem to speak against them. In fact they support them and continue to ignore Human Rights reports on the events taking place in Gaza and the West Bank.

Same with the My Lai Massacre. Some westerners shockingly still manage to find excuse for what those American soldiers did to those civilians.
Reply

TestData
10-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
It would have been the natural conclusion had the suspects been named Mohamed or AbduAllah.. I merely point out the double standards?
:w:
There have been some recent examples in the british press that I think relate to this:

1) A bosnian girl working in a bar (serving alcohol) took her employer to court for discrimination as she refused to wear the revealing dress. She claimed it was degrading.

In the press (london papers) all the headlines started with MUSLIM GIRL *****

It was enough that she was bosnian and had a muslim sounding name to start the headline MUSLIM. To your average non muslim it would seem the muslims are at it again, causing trouble.

I mean she was working in a bar selling alcohol! if she didnt want to wear the dress because she was a muslim she wouldnt be working in the bar in the first place.
Reply

Muezzin
10-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Question: What does all this have to do with the article in the first post?

Answer: Nothing.

Solution: Return to the topic.

Aside: I could really go for a strawberry milkshake right now.
Reply

glo
10-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Muezzin
Question: What does all this have to do with the article in the first post?

Answer: Nothing.

Solution: Return to the topic.

Aside: I could really go for a strawberry milkshake right now.
I think emotions run high when people hear horrendous stories such as this - and people are likely to respond emotionally and passionately, and say things they otherwise might not.

Perhaps, rather than allowing further accusations and arguments, the thread should be closed.

May God bless Ekram Haque, may he give peace to his family, and wisdom and understanding to all who are affected by this.
Reply

kawaiigardiner
10-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by The_Prince
why isnt there so much western outrage when innocent iraqis or afghanis are killed by western troops. or when israel kills thousands of civillians, why isnt there so much outrage and sympathy and moments of silence similar to when a 7-7 happens etc?

ppl like you just talk too much crap.
There is no outrage! no outrage! do you even watch television, read a news paper or look at websites. The fact that the New Zealand government for the last 9 years was revelling in the fact that it was against the war in Iraq, the maintaining of the nuclear free policy etc.

Btw, nice how you ignore the what 'western' troops give - then again, hating westerners is a whole lot easier than actually educating yourself.
Reply

kawaiigardiner
10-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Yeah. Israel continues to breaks international law and Western politicians don't seem to speak against them. In fact they support them and continue to ignore Human Rights reports on the events taking place in Gaza and the West Bank.

Same with the My Lai Massacre. Some westerners shockingly still manage to find excuse for what those American soldiers did to those civilians.
Not a single thing said about the many gays murdered by the state or by their fellow countrymen in Muslim majority countries.

Then again, using your benchmark - only heterosexual muslim men have any value in this world.
Reply

Ummu Sufyaan
10-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by kawaiigardiner
There is no outrage! no outrage! do you even watch television, read a news paper or look at websites. The fact that the New Zealand government for the last 9 years was revelling in the fact that it was against the war in Iraq, the maintaining of the nuclear free policy etc.
did you even read his post? he said: "so much" out rage not "no" out rage.

Btw, nice how you ignore the what 'western' troops give - then again, hating westerners is a whole lot easier than actually educating yourself.
yes you're right, the stealing of wealth, and other such atrocities committed by western soldiers have been ignored. but then, pointing the finger and shifting the blame is a whole lot easier then educating yourself.


Originally Posted by kawaiigardiner
Not a single thing said about the many gays murdered by the state or by their fellow countrymen in Muslim majority countries.
sodomy is a sin, so its going to get dealt with accordingly. like wise, murder is a "sin" according to the law in most (if not all) civil societies, so that likewise will get its penalty. different sets of laws in different societies are implemented. so, your arguments holds up to no scrutiny.
Reply

joedawun
10-02-2009, 06:49 PM
To return to the original subject, this crime is a terrible tragedy and it is painful to read this story. I feel sad for the family to lose Mr Hague in such a brutal, hateful and heartless way.

I hope that the animals who committed this hate driven crime suffer the full weight of the law for the evil they have done to an innocent person. I pray that the community learns from this and people learn a lesson of love and tolerance from this horrible episode.

Originally Posted by Uthmān
Last updated at 1:01 PM on 09th September 2009

A devout Muslim pensioner attacked by a race-hate gang of schoolboys died yesterday.

Ekram Haque, 67, lost his fight for life a week after he was battered to the ground in front of his three-year-old granddaughter, Marian.

As revealed in yesterday's Daily Mail, he suffered horrific head injuries in the assault outside a mosque in Tooting, South-West London, where he had just prayed.

As he and Marian waited for a lift, the gang ran up behind him and clubbed him around the head.

Two other worshippers chased the thugs away but Mr Haque - described by friends as a 'gentle giant' - had suffered horrific head injuries.

His granddaughter has been left 'very shaken and disturbed', said her father, Mr Haque's son Arfan. Graphic images of the attack were caught on CCTV.

Scotland Yard formally launched a murder inquiry after Mr Haque passed away at St George's Hospital, Tooting, where he had been on a life-support machine since the attack.

Police are linking the assault on the retired care worker to a series of other attacks on elderly Asian people near the mosque.

Three of the earlier victims were also pensioners. As local community tensions grew, police stepped up patrols near the Idara E Jaaferiya mosque where Mr Haque was attacked last Monday.

Police say they are treating the attack on Mr Haque as racially motivated.

Arfan, 35, a consumer law adviser, described the incident as 'mindless violence' but urged people in the Muslim community to remain calm.

He said: 'I would urge people in our community to remember that Islam is a peaceful religion and does not condone revenge attacks. If you want to do anything, just pray.

'I have been very impressed how the police have dealt with the attack, and have full confidence in what they are doing.

'Obviously I am concerned for my daughter, who has given a very vivid account of what happened.'

Ekram Haque was born in Calcutta and moved to Belfast in search of work in 1972. He met his wife there and they moved to London in the early 1980s.

Mr Haque originally worked in textiles but later became a warden in a home for the disabled. He retired last year and was looking after Marian on weekdays.

At the time of the attack, he was making final preparations to take her to Pakistan and Australia on holiday.

His son said: 'My father loved living in Britain. He considered himself a Londoner. He was enjoying his retirement and seeing a lot of his granddaughter.

'He was a kind, loving person, who always went out of his way to support anyone who needed support. I just want justice.'

Detective Chief Inspector John McFarlane, from Scotland Yard's homicide and serious crime command, said: 'We urge people who may have been attacked, or who may know who these youths are, to come forward.'

Anyone with information is urged to call the police on 020 8721 4205 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

  • Two youths aged 14 and 15 have appeared before Wimbledon Youth Court accused of committing grievous bodily harm with intent on Mr Haque.
  • They and another boy, aged 12, are also accused of conspiracy to commit GBH and two counts of assault on victims in their 40s and 70s. Another 14-year-old has been charged over the attacks, but has yet to appear in court.

Source
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-22-2010, 10:45 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2008, 06:26 AM
  3. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-22-2007, 03:03 AM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-13-2006, 04:52 PM
  5. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-16-2006, 06:44 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!