/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Stranger

Innocent Soul
09-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Assalamualaikum
"A few months before I was born, my dad met a stranger who was new to our small Tennessee town. From the beginning, Dad was fascinated with this enchanting newcomer, and soon invited him to live with our family. The stranger was quickly accepted and was around to welcome me into the world a few months later.

As I grew up I never questioned his place in our family. In my young mind, each member had a special niche. My brother, Yusuf, five years my senior,was my example. Samya, my younger sister, gave me an opportunity to play 'big brother' and develop the art of teasing. My parents were complementary instructors-- Mom taught me to love Allah, and Dad taught me to how to obey Him. But the stranger was our storyteller. He could weave the most fascinating tales. Adventures, mysteries and comedies were daily conversations. He could hold our whole family spell-bound for hours each evening. If I wanted to know about politics, history, or science, he knew it.

He knew about the past and seemed to understood the present. The pictures he could draw were so life like that I would often laugh or cry as I watched. He was like a friend to the whole family. He took Dad, Yusuf and me to our first major league baseball game. He was always encouraging us to see the movies and he even made arrangements to introduce us to several famous people.

The stranger was an incessant talker. Dad didn' t seem to mind-but sometimes Mom would quietly get up-- while the rest of us were enthralled with one of his stories of faraway places-- go to her room, read the Qur'aan.

I wonder now if she ever prayed that the stranger would leave. You see, my dad ruled our household with certain moral convictions. But this stranger never felt obligation to honor them. Profanity, for example, was not allowed in our house-- not from us, from our friends, or adults. Our longtime visitor,however, used occasional four letter words that burned my ears and made Dad squirm.. To my knowledge the stranger was never confronted. My dad was a teatotaler who didn't permit alcohol in his home - not even for cooking.

But the stranger felt like we needed exposure and enlightened us to other ways of life. He offered us beer and other alcoholic beverages often.

He made cigarettes look tasty, cigars manly, and pipes distinguished. He talked freely (probably too much too freely) about sex. His comments were sometimes blatant, sometimes suggestive, and generally embarrassing.

I know now that my early concepts of the man-woman relationship were influenced by the stranger.

As I look back, I believe it was Allah's Mercy that the stranger did not influence us more. Time after time he opposed the values of my parents. Yet he was seldom rebuked and never asked to leave. More than thirty years have passed since the stranger moved in with the young family on Morningside Drive.

He is not nearly so intriguing to my Dad as he was in those early years. But if I were to walk into my parents' den today, you would still see him sitting over in a corner, waiting for someone to listen to him talk and watch him draw his pictures.

His name you ask?

We called him TV.

It makes you think, doesn't it...

(Taken from www.Islamcan.com):statisfie

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
09-28-2009, 06:01 AM
This is a very critical, and true, perspective of TV.
Jazakallah for the reminder

ardianto
09-28-2009, 06:39 AM
There is a stranger in my house, in Bandung, Indonesia.

He often draw pictures of sexy women, he often tell stories of free sex in West. He often tell newest gossips of celebrities, full of backbiting, of course. He offered cigarettes as an important thing for men, although he never offered alcoholic drink to us.
In simple word, he has a bad behavior. Yes, I can understand if some people say "Kick this stranger out of your home !".

But I will never do that, because this stranger also has a good side. He tell me many information about 'what happen in the world'. He gives me many knowledge. He tell me what people say, he tell me what politician says, he tell me what Ulema says, and he never forget to remind us when maghrib time has comes with saying azan maghrib (Don't forget, this stranger is in Indonesia, not in Tennessee).

And also, he can entertain me. He can makes me laugh with his comedy, he can makes me smile when he draw cartoons. He show me how Christiano Ronaldo makes a goal, how Valentino Rossi won the race. He inspired me with many inspirational stories about people who struggle for reach their dreams.

I will never kick him out because this stranger never forced me to watch him. I have a choice to watch or not watch him.

PS : Actually there are four strangers in my house. :D

Amriki
09-28-2009, 09:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
There is a stranger in my house, in Bandung, Indonesia.

He often draw pictures of sexy women, he often tell stories of free sex in West. He often tell newest gossips of celebrities, full of backbiting, of course. He offered cigarettes as an important thing for men, although he never offered alcoholic drink to us.
In simple word, he has a bad behavior. Yes, I can understand if some people say "Kick this stranger out of your home !".

But I will never do that, because this stranger also has a good side. He tell me many information about 'what happen in the world'. He gives me many knowledge. He tell me what people say, he tell me what politician says, he tell me what Ulema says, and he never forget to remind us when maghrib time has comes with saying azan maghrib (Don't forget, this stranger is in Indonesia, not in Tennessee).

And also, he can entertain me. He can makes me laugh with his comedy, he can makes me smile when he draw cartoons. He show me how Christiano Ronaldo makes a goal, how Valentino Rossi won the race. He inspired me with many inspirational stories about people who struggle for reach their dreams.

I will never kick him out because this stranger never forced me to watch him. I have a choice to watch or not watch him.

PS : Actually there are four strangers in my house. :D
Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Salaam alaykum,
Tell me, how many hours a day do you spend studying your religion?
And how many hours a day do you watch TV?
How much of it is halal? how much is OBVIOUS HARAAM?!
Read your own post above, and picture yourself answering to Allah for your choices on the Last Day.

What does struggling to reach your DUNYA dreams have to do with Islam?
Nothing, it is the way of Shaitan.
Allahu alim, maybe Allah will place you with Ronaldo and Valentino on Youm ad Deen, because on that day you will be with those you love.
Where do you think they will be?
You are NOT FREE to do as you choose, you are a SLAVE of Allah, and as a slave you MUST do as you are told.

There are 4 televisions in a Muslim house?
In my house there are none.
You, your family, your children will inevitably be corrupted by this fitna machine.

I ask Allah to open your heart to the truth and return you to the Straight Path.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al Ansari
09-28-2009, 10:41 AM
^
assalaamu 'alaikum

I could not agree more. Allaahu Akbar!

Ramadhan
09-28-2009, 11:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amriki

Salaam alaykum,
Read your own post above, and picture yourself answering to Allah for your choices on the Last Day.

Allahu alim, maybe Allah will place you with Ronaldo and Valentino on Youm ad Deen, because on that day you will be with those you love.
You are NOT FREE to do as you choose, you are a SLAVE of Allah, and as a slave you MUST do as you are told.

You, your family, your children will inevitably be corrupted by this fitna machine.

I ask Allah to open your heart to the truth and return you to the Straight Path.
:wa:

Calm down brother.
no need to be so judgmental.
brother Ardianto was telling us that he has televisions in his house, but if you care to read his post carefully, he mentioned that he chooses selectively and only watches programs that are not causing fitna (news program, indonesian comedy, halaal sports - soccer and motorcycle racing, islamic programs - which are plenty in Indonesian television networks).
You don't know how he lives his life, for all you know he performs far more ibada than you do and do many more good deeds than the rest of us, so please refrain yourself from making such strong statement against him.

Television is not haraam, and if you think television is haraam, then you have no business posting online as well.

Allah SWT knows best.

Fטлку
09-28-2009, 11:37 AM
:omg: Why are you getting so worked up about it?
:hiding:
PS, Nice post, Safiyah! :D
Too bad I can't give any reps :(

Innocent Soul
09-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Brother naidamar is right.
Even I also watch t.v and sometimes watch movies.

Ramadhan
09-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I apologize if I sound too harsh in my defense of brother ardianto

ardianto
09-28-2009, 05:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amriki

Salaam alaykum,
Wa alaikumsalam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh.
Thanks for your reply, brother.

How many hours a day I spend for studying Islam ?.
Sometime longer than hours that I spend for watch TV. I am honest about it.
I am watching TV only certain programs like news or general knowledge or science and sometime talk show, but not every talk show because certain talk show is close to gossip show. And I never watch music programs or non Islamic movies, at least since a year ago.
If I say TV is not haraam because in my prespective, TV itself is halal. There are many haram programs on TV, I know. But there are many halal programs which we can get many information or knowledge including Islamic knowledge. There are some Islamic programs on my TV. We can select program that we need or we want to watch.

Please forget my words about Ronaldo or Rossi. I was not totally serious when I wrote it. Please forgive my rude jokes. When I wrote about people who reach their dream, that was not about Ronaldo or Rossi, but I have seen on TV many success stories about people who can reach their dreams, and that's inspiring me to do something better. And those persons were including some Muslim persons.

There are three TVs in the main house and one in the office. I am working at home. Those TV are not 'on' in every hour. I know maybe that is too much, but actually more than one TV in house is normal in some Indonesian houses.

Jazak Allahu khairan. Thank you very much, brother.

At last, everyone, please forgive me if my first post was offend you.
Frankly, I am disagree with some brothers who say TV is haraam. And I am totally agree with brothers who say we can watch TV but we must select the program. TV has a bad side and has a good side.

We cannot ban TV because if we ban TV we would lose many information, we would lose many knowledge. As Muslim, we need more information, we need more knowledge if we are want to taking back our glory like hundreds years ago. But of course, we must protect ourselves with Iman when we watch TV for prevent us from shaytan.

Muezzin
09-28-2009, 06:13 PM
I think a more relevant twist would be to make the 'stranger' a computer with Internet access.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.