/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Moving out of home

Al-Hanbali
09-28-2009, 05:05 PM
:salamext:

I was wondering what are people's opinion of moving out of home to live on campus or renting an apartment etc Would you advise for it/against it etc?

I'm considering moving out and renting a place along with some other brothers; mainly due to the fact that I have to travel around 1.5hrs everyday to and from the Uni, and it is EXHAUSTING!! I'm thinking how I'd cope with such travel during exam periods etc.

??

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
09-28-2009, 05:17 PM
brother what about the food at home and the washed clothes that were always placed to one side in your room?

if you can cope then go but remember to stay with pious people and keep reading the quran beautifully

Al-Hanbali
09-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Yes I know akhee....that's what I'm saying. To be honest, I'd rather stay at home; so much more convinient in many ways.

But seriously, after 3hrs of travel everyday; I'm absolutely knackered!!

IbnAbdulHakim
09-28-2009, 05:25 PM
i got offered a job in cambridge and refused it just because i didnt want to move... i think it'll be too much fitnah for me to live without my family for some reason.

but not everyones the same, if you have practising brothers alongside it might be ok inshAllah :)

i would NEVER make such a decision on my own though...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
crayon
09-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Wa alaikum asalam wa rahmatu Allah wa barakatuhu

That's about how long it takes me on average to go to uni everyday as well. It takes an hour going there, and two hours coming back. I leave the house at 6:30 in the morning, and most days, get back at 8 ish.

Sometimes I think life would be so much easier if I were in the dorms, but other times I don't. I have less responsibility now, all I need to do is study, rather than worry about laundry, cleaning, etc. Plus, if you're living alone, there's going to be extra costs- rent, food, etc., which can be easily avoided by just staying home.

For me personally, since the bus takes me, I get there early in the morning, even when I don't have early classes. So I do most of my studying at uni, then get home and just fall asleep. Plus, there are breaks in between classes, so I study then when I need to. So I guess during exams you'd have to manage to get your work done at uni rather than at home?

BintAbee
09-28-2009, 05:27 PM
:sl:

I've been out of home for studies for almost 3 years now. I would recommend it since travelling is no play. The time used to travel could be put to good use for studying etc. I don't suggest living on campus, (I dunno if it's the same in the UK) because of the food, the activities that you may have to participate in and the atmosphere is not too grand islamically. An apartment would be ideal, with at least one other friend (who has to be chosen quite carefully) :rollseyes:

Just another thing, I dunno if you'll be going home in the weekends, but I sure miss my family quite a bit :( But on the other hand you actually get more time to study when you away from home. They told us here in uni in our first year that the people who get the highest results are those that live on campus, second highest: those that live in apartments on their own/ with friends etc, and unfortunately worst results: those that live at home with their families.

Anyway, whatever you decide may Allah help you and protect you and don't forget to pray Istikhaarah.

:w:

EDIT: just read the other posts now: about the fresh laundry and food lol, if you are away from home, you sure are gonna leran responsibilty and you'll appreciate the fact that you learnt to do those basic chores later on in life. :D

Beardo
09-29-2009, 04:30 AM
Moving out to the apartments can be a good thing or a bad thing. I know one person who completely changed towards Islam Masha'Allah because his roommates were good. But I also know those who became more slack with their Deen. May Allah Ta'ala protect us!

Well, for general advice, cup-a-noodles (they have these in America, not sure about the UK), but they turn up useful during exam times. Cookies, snacks, aand ESPECIALLY granola bars help when you are on the run in the morning. Also, a small rice cooker for lunch/dinner, sandwiches are extremely easy to make, and my mom freezes tens of sandwich bags full of curry so my brother can take it in his suitcase or in his trunk when he is driving to uni...

Yeah, I have no experience personally on this issue. It comes from my brother lol... Hope this helped. :X

Ramadhan
09-29-2009, 08:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Moving out to the apartments can be a good thing or a bad thing. I know one person who completely changed towards Islam Masha'Allah because his roommates were good. But I also know those who became more slack with their Deen. May Allah Ta'ala protect us!
Very true!
I learnt it the hard way :(
So I'd suggest you move in only with people who are good in their deen.

Indeed, may Allah Ta'ala protect us.

Pk_#2
09-29-2009, 10:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saifur-Rahmaan
:salamext:
Wa'alaykum As salaam Wa RahmatuAllah wa barakatuhu

I was wondering what are people's opinion of moving out of home to live on campus or renting an apartment etc?
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

I'm considering moving out and renting a place along with some other brothers;
Omr hell no, na waii blaaaaaaaaaad, what if they're gay, then what :'( Why are you doing this to your poor Muslim soul?

mainly due to the fact that I have to travel around 1.5hrs everyday to and from the Uni, and it is EXHAUSTING!!
Be a MAN already :hiding: How are you gonna become a future Mujahid if you can't walk to the uni and back?

I'm thinking how I'd cope with such travel during exam periods etc.
InshaAllaah you'll be fine, it's called Jihaad-ul-Excercise, just walk double faster on Exam days than you normally do or wake up an hour earlier,

Toodles.

GuestFellow
09-29-2009, 10:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pk_#2

Omr hell no, na waii blaaaaaaaaaad, what if they're gay, then what :'( Why are you doing this to your poor Muslim soul?
O_o

Ah yeah I was going to say something like that. If you are going to move be careful of non-Muslims and some of their bad influences.

The college I go to students drink alcohol and enjoy getting drunk. Disgusting.

BintAbee
09-29-2009, 10:50 AM

I'm sure brother Saifur-Rahmaan is gonna make sure he lives with good Muslims, Insha Allah :hmm:

:w:

sshuraimno1fan
09-30-2009, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fighting4Iman
i got offered a job in cambridge and refused it just because i didnt want to move... i think it'll be too much fitnah for me to live without my family for some reason.

but not everyones the same, if you have practising brothers alongside it might be ok inshAllah :)

i would NEVER make such a decision on my own though...
too true there's quite alot of fitnahs and it all depends on you as an individual if u know u wont get into it then go coz i know of girls that butter wouldnt melt and have gone uni and got up 2 allsorts...u just got to keep your imaan strong...

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Get married and dorm with your wife.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-30-2009, 09:07 PM
On a serious note..it's a tough decision. Commuting isn't fun, but that lifestyle has its benefits. Dorming isn't fun, but it also has it's benefits. You need to weigh that with your family and decide.

Cabdullahi
09-30-2009, 09:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maalik
thats an intelligent idea

marry 3 if you can, one ''career girl'' to accompany you outside on campus , the second ''lubna the driver'' for pick ups and drop-offs the third a house master to clean and cook for when you come back home tired

you'll get straight A's !! rest assured

Re.TiReD
09-30-2009, 10:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maalik
;D

I dunno, it takes me half an hour only but there are days where it takes me an hour getting there and an hour getting back....2 years on and I'm still alive, surprisingly =D alhamdulillah.

Basically, if its only the time it takes thats worrying you, then dont fret its minor, plus I find the train journey relaxing after a hard long day at uni...

Wasslam

Al-Hanbali
09-30-2009, 10:35 PM
JazaakumuAllaahu khayran to everyone for the comments.

So I guess during exams you'd have to manage to get your work done at uni rather than at home?
Yup, I think I should really utilise the free time at Uni; that way I'd have less work at home & can recuperate :X

Omr hell no, na waii blaaaaaaaaaad, what if they're gay, then what Why are you doing this to your poor Muslim soul?
If I were to be move out, it would be with Muslims inshaAllaah.

Be a MAN already How are you gonna become a future Mujahid if you can't walk to the uni and back?
Yh, good point actually.

That would be the ideal option....not sure its the realistic option. :p

Basically, if its only the time it takes thats worrying you, then dont fret its minor, plus I find the train journey relaxing after a hard long day at uni...
Packed like sardines on the tube with people who forgot to put deodrant on in the morning is +o(.

Anyhow, I think like Maalik said, I just need to weigh it out. At the mo, kinda leaning towards 'not moving out' :hmm:

syilla
10-01-2009, 01:52 AM
Just make 30 lists of good things and bad things... see how many you can write it down.

But for me, this is the time you can learn to be independent and appreciate your mother's cooking more. And give it a try for a year...then if you don't like it you can always move back to your family's house :)

Ummu Sufyaan
10-01-2009, 10:46 AM
if you get homesick really easily, do not move out.
commuting 3 hrs stinks, but missing your family, is even stinker. buy some kind of air vehicle/helicopter and travel with that.

Be a MAN already How are you gonna become a future Mujahid if you can't walk to the uni and back?
and i second that.

I'm thinking how I'd cope with such travel during exam periods etc.
would it be possible to hire out a place during exam periods? or move in with a close friend who lives with near the university?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.