/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pictures in Islam

Rasema
09-28-2009, 10:26 PM
:salamext: family

I've read about pictures being banned in Islam. I would like something in basic English though.

Many of us claim to be the followers of the sunna but you have some weird avatars family;D

As far as I know is that anything of animals and humans that is pencil drawn or clay make is not permitted. However, some say that photographs are....

I'm a little doubtful about photographs being permitted?

I know that photographs of humans are banned, then how will photographs be allowed?

Children are pemitted to have toys made of an image of animals and humans due to the hadeeth that allows it. Correct me please...

Thank you

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
09-29-2009, 03:15 AM
banned? pictures aren't 'banned'.. no one is going to persecute you if you paint, rather it is a prohibition to your own discretion.

my understanding of camera images is that you are not to take obscene photos, you are capturing Allah swt's creation, not mimicking it.. thus it is allowed..

and Allah swt knows best but you may certainly confirm that from a scholar, you need passport photos and driver's licenses, I hazard think of how that all will work out if it is 'banned'

:w:

جوري
09-29-2009, 03:17 AM

Name of Questioner
Majid - United Kingdom

Title
Running a Photo Studio

Question
As-Salamu `alaykum. Can I start a photo studio in which I develop and print the photos as well as take photos and videos in functions and marriages, or should I confine myself to passport photos only?

Date
03/May/2004

Name of Counsellor
Mohamed El-Moctar El-Shinqiti

Topic
Drawing & Photography

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Brother, we do really hold your question in high esteem, for it reflects your care to earn your living via lawful means. May Allah help you lead a righteous life and support you with abundant halal (lawful) provision!

Regarding your question, you are not required to confine your work to passport photos. Though you should observe Islamic rules of morality and decency, your work can be extended to other functions as long as there is no violation to the rules of Shari`ah.

Sheikh Muhammad Al-Mukhtar Al-Shinqiti, Director of the Islamic Center of South Plains, Lubbock, Texas, states:

"You don’t have to minimize your work to taking passport photos. Many families are committed and they do Islamic marriages or functions that do not show haram (unlawful) scenes. You can do that for sure.

As for taking photos in marriages where women are not dressing properly, it is haram for you to take pictures or videotape them, but if you can arrange for a female photographer to take, print, and develop pictures, that can be permissible."

You can also read:

Fatwa on Photography

If you are still in need of more information, don't hesitate to contact us. Do keep in touch. May Allah guide us all to the straight path!

Allah Almighty knows best.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503548392

Rasema
09-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Wa alakum salam

I appreciate you taking time to reply.

Thank you.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MSalman
09-29-2009, 08:53 PM
as-salamu alaykum

1 - drawing pictures of animated beings - this is undoubtfully haraam due to many ahadith. Some ulama have said that if the drawn picture is missing some limbs (i.e., face, mouth eyes, etc.) then that does not fall under the prohibition category
2 - taking pictures of animated beings using digital cameras, this is a contemporary issue; thus, the contemporary scholars differed over it. Some said it is haraam whereas others said that it is haraam only if they are printed on paper.
3 - the ulama have said that it is permissible to draw or taking pictures of animated being in extreme/necessity cases: passports, licenses, educational purposes, crime scenes and such situations.

You can find many detail fatawas on Islamqa on this subject. When I say scholars then I am talking about genuine scholars not those who have give shadd opinions and generalize the rulings upon extreme cases.

It is really a mute point to generalize the whole ruling while basing it on extreme cases. It is like saying "It is permissible to lie since it is permissible to lie in three cases".

and Allah knows best

Danah
09-29-2009, 09:14 PM
:sl:

About photography issue you may find this helpful:

Islam Question and Answer - Taking pictures of student activities with a video camera and digital camera

Keeping pictures on cell phones

Rasema
09-30-2009, 01:47 AM

Thanks to all of you. I will read these,InshAllah, as soon as possible.

Brother,:sl: could you elaborate this?
You can find many detail fatawas on Islamqa on this subject. When I say scholars then I am talking about genuine scholars not those who have give shadd opinions and generalize the rulings upon extreme cases.
I see what you mean, in a way, but these are the scholars I have the most reverence for.

:wa:

Rasema
09-30-2009, 07:36 PM
It is really a mute point to generalize the whole ruling while basing it on extreme cases. It is like saying "It is permissible to lie since it is permissible to lie in three cases".
Are you putting them down?Because you appear to be sarcastic. Sorry, but it upsets me.

kawaiigardiner
10-01-2009, 03:09 AM
Unfortunately the gates of ijtihad were closed in the 10th century and every since then every Fatwa has been an attempt to retrofit a prior 'similar' known as taqlid. Ijtihad is still being done as part of Jaʿfarī Fiqh but you find that many rulings are little more than polemics against the West and non-Muslims under the guise of 'keeping Islam pure'.

Getting back to the question at hand; to ask whether pictures are allowed is like asking "how long is a piece of string".

MSalman
10-01-2009, 03:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rasema
Brother,:sl: could you elaborate this?

I see what you mean, in a way, but these are the scholars I have the most reverence for.

sister our love and respect for scholars should not come in the way of following truth. Our job is to make sure that we ask the scholars who are known for their knowledge and piety and if two scholars differ among themselves then we refer to the one who has more knowledge and piety. We also need to make sure that we do not follow the errors of scholars. If it was a valid difference of opinion then you would not have seen me replying. However, the view by contemporary scholars that it is permissible to take pictures with the intention of printing them out in all cases is an invalid/shadd opinion. Allah Azz wa Jal says in the Qur'an: "O ye who believe! Obey Allah and obey the Messenger and those charged with authority among you. If ye differ in anything among yourselves, refer it to Allah and His Messenger if ye do believe in Allah and the Last Day: that is best, and most suitable for final determination" [Surah an-Nisa (4):59 - interpretation of the meaning]

and Allah knows best

format_quote Originally Posted by Rasema
Are you putting them down?Because you appear to be sarcastic. Sorry, but it upsets me.
sister, may Allah perserve you, I did not meant to upset you or trying to look or put down these scholars. allhamdulillah, I am just a layman and I am nothing in comparison to these scholars. My point is that we should not be buying shadd or invalid opinions of any scholars. The reason I brought up the lying argument is to show that these contemporary scholars opinions on taking pictures, who say it is permissible, is based on a flawed premise and generalization.

format_quote Originally Posted by kawaiigardiner
Unfortunately the gates of ijtihad were closed in the 10th century
is this wikipedia speaking? Where did you get this from. This is an academic crime in broad day light; the doors of ijtihad are never closed!

and every since then every Fatwa has been an attempt to retrofit a prior 'similar' known as taqlid.
WRONG; you need to some history lesson. Many different kinds of mujthaid emerged after the so called 'doors of ijtihad closed' era and many other scholars made ijtihad in many different rulings.

I can go on but let us not hijack the thread

Getting back to the question at hand; to ask whether pictures are allowed is like asking "how long is a piece of string".
to a kafir anything regarding Islamic ruling is alien

Rasema
10-03-2009, 02:51 PM

sister our love and respect for scholars should not come in the way of following truth. Our job is to make sure that we ask the scholars who are known for their knowledge and piety and if two scholars differ among themselves then we refer to the one who has more knowledge and piety. We also need to make sure that we do not follow the errors of scholars. If it was a valid difference of opinion then you would not have seen me replying. However, the view by contemporary scholars that it is permissible to take pictures with the intention of printing them out in all cases is an invalid/shadd opinion. Allah Azz wa Jal says in the Qur'an: "O ye who believe! Obey Allah and obey the Messenger and those charged with authority among you. If ye differ in anything among yourselves, refer it to Allah and His Messenger if ye do believe in Allah and the Last Day: that is best, and most suitable for final determination" [Surah an-Nisa (4):59 - interpretation of the meaning]
You can just tell me to not follow them blindly.
We belong to a perfect religion. A definition of a Muslim is someone who submits himself to the will of God. We should try our best to follow Allah's commands. Now, in order for someone to not fall into fitna we stay at home. In order to not fall in drawing something we don't use things that are close to drawings. Please don't dig into this example. I hope you know what I mean. Like sister skye said:
rather it is a prohibition to your own discretion.
This is why I respect these scholars the most.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.