/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Secret

kwolney01
09-30-2009, 11:35 PM
As Salaamu Alakium brothers and sisters! :)

I've recently started reading a book called, The Secret by Rhonda Byrne.

I've heard a lot of good things about this book and how it's changed peoples life's.

The book talks about "The Secret" which is the law of attraction (law of nature) and how our feelings and thoughts attract things in our lives. The book states that we attract everything that comes into our lives by what we are thinking. Like attracts like. Bad thoughts/feelings = bad things Good thoughts/feelings = good things.

I'm fascinated by this book and what it's stating on the law of attraction. I wanted to get the opinion of my brothers and sisters in Islam and ask what you all think about this.

Does simply thinking about something good bring you good things? Does Islam say anything about this concept?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
09-30-2009, 11:55 PM
its a pointless book thats written by a materialistic author for materialistic people i saw the thread title and instantly thought this must be about that book

Oprah was raving about it ......need i say more?
it also appeared on the compilation of videos called arrivals talking about the influence of the book and its deception

its centered around the notion of listening to ones desire when it calls and we muslim know too well what happens when that is done

mustafaisb
10-01-2009, 12:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
its a pointless book thats written by a materialistic author for materialistic people i saw the thread title and instantly thought this must be about that book

Oprah was raving about it ......need i say more?
it also appeared on the compilation of videos called arrivals talking about the influence of the book and its deception

its centered around the notion of listening to ones desire when it calls and we muslim know too well what happens when that is done
:sl: Couldn't have said it better myself. Just want to add one more thing. Sister think about the claim the book is making. The law of attraction states that if only you think positively, good things will happen. So does that mean that people in Africa will achieve wealth and prosperity if only they had thought good thoughts all the time and not negative thoughts. How can constantly thinking positive thoughts attract good things? I don't get it. Wanting good things in life means working hard, planning ahead, and never letting any set backs bring you down. Now positive thinking is good, but The Secret takes it to a ideological extreme and this in fact can be harmful for a person. :wa:

kwolney01
10-01-2009, 02:30 AM
You both make great points. I've only read a fourth of the book and I've noticed that the author is VERY materialistic. Everything's about getting money and a huge house. I know as Muslims we are not supposed to be materialistic and I agree with what both of you are saying.

And yes, simply thinking about something won't give you it, it comes with planning as well as asking Allah for it.

Positive thinking is very good for our well being and that's probably what I'll take from this book. It is a little much to think that by simply thinking of something you'll get everything you've ever wanted. hehe

Thanks bros!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sampharo
10-01-2009, 03:44 PM
The Secret actually DOES work, however for those non-believers who were destined to receive everything and anything they wanted in this life since they will have nothing in the next.

God says in the holy Quran: "And were it not that [with the prospect of boundless riches before them] all people would become one [evil] community, We might indeed have provided for those who [now] deny the Most Gracious, roofs of silver for their houses, and [silver] stairways whereon to ascend," [43:33]

The prophet -pbuh- said: "This life is the disbeliever's heaven and the believer's hell, and the afterlife is the disbeliever's hell and believer's heaven"

Disbelievers are provided with comfortable lives and little hardship because this is their heavens, enjoyment. They believe in karma because it DOES actually work for them. Anyone does something nice, gets it quickly given back in return, so that they have nothing to claim any mercy with in the afterlife.

Companions of the prophet on the other hand were always stricken with hardships and tests, and they used to feel good about them, because God said about believers: "Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil), but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere," and they know that the more hardship they withstand, the more the reward in the afterlife. That is real faith and God help us to come close to their strength of faith.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.