/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic prayers at the Capitol

Uthman
10-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Thousands of Muslims gather for 'A Day of Islamic Unity' meant to show the 'peace, beauty' of their religion. Some conservatives and Christians objected to the event.

September 26, 2009

Reporting from Washington - Thousands of Muslims, prostrating themselves in prayer, gathered just feet from the Capitol on Friday for "A Day of Islamic Unity," an event intended to showcase what organizers called the "peace, beauty and solidarity" of Islam.

Hassen Abdellah, a lawyer and president of the Dar-ul-Islam Mosque in Elizabeth, N.J., said he was inspired to organize the event by President Obama's attempt to reach out to Muslims in his inaugural address.

"We should also extend our hand," Abdellah said.

The turnout fell far short of the 50,000 predicted, but the crowd was energetic as participants rolled out variegated prayer mats and plastic tarps in front of the Capitol, where Obama's inauguration was held in January.

"We can show the world that not all Muslims hate America," said Habib Beyah, who came from New Jersey with his son to participate. "Not all Muslims are terrorists. Not all Muslims are extremists."

Beyah expressed his pride in the United States. "We don't believe in Sharia," he said, referring to Islamic law. "This is the United States. We were born here, and we will die here."

Some conservative and Christian groups objected to the gathering. About 50 people waved signs with statements such as "Trust Jesus" and handed out fliers in small demonstrations outside the prayer area.

"When Islam is weak, they will be the religion of peace," said Rusty Thomas, a minister who traveled from Waco, Texas, with Operation Save America to protest the event. "When they get the upper hand, out comes the sword."

Other conservative groups highlighted the fact that Abdellah was one of the lawyers for Mahmud Abouhalima, who was convicted of conspiracy in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing.

Abdellah brushed off the criticism, noting that accused criminals have a constitutional right to legal counsel.

Several Muslim leaders said the presence of a small but vocal opposition was expected.

The event was just "another example of Muslim participation in society," said Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations. "What is noteworthy is that when Muslims seek to participate in society, they are going to face a small minority of bigots and racists."

Abdellah agreed. "Muslims aren't here to take over the country," he said. "They're here to help make it better."

Muslims gather in front of the Capitol as part of “A Day of Islamic Unity,” inspired by President Obama’s reaching out to Muslims in his inauguration address. (Mandel Ngan, AFP/Getty Images / September 25, 2009)

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
10-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Great idea. But...
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
Beyah expressed his pride in the United States. "We don't believe in Sharia," he said, referring to Islamic law.
...Oh dear. +o(

GuestFellow
10-01-2009, 05:51 PM
^ Yup. Nationalism is not a good thing.

I do not understand why people are proud of where they are born. They have no control over it. How can you be proud of something when you have no control over it? O_o

About 50 people waved signs with statements such as "Trust Jesus" and handed out fliers in small demonstrations outside the prayer area.
LOL

kwolney01
10-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Wow, I live in the U.S and I didn't know about this? That's sad :(

I think it's great that Muslims did this, yes one said they do not believe in Shariah law but that is one person not the whole. Plenty of Muslims living in Shariah law countries and do not follow it correctly. Let's give our brothers and sisters some support, instead of pointing out the flaws. :D

Thanks for sharing.

Jazak Allah Khair

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
10-01-2009, 06:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kwolney01
Jazak Allah Khair
Wa Iyyaakum. And JazakAllahu Khayran for the naseeha!

Amadeus85
10-02-2009, 11:32 AM
I hope that the place is already cleaned and prepared, because next week wiccans will have their "Day of Prayer" at Capitol. Nonetheless, they dont have much time, as scientologists are appearing there just hour after wiccans. Tom Cruise and John Travolta will be there too as scientoligists. Next day the place must be ready for the coming of Jedi believers, probably about 4 thousands people. Police suspects small but loud counter- protest from far right wing Darth Vader fan club. Freedom, equality,brotherhood. My heart is floorishing. Make love, not war.

convert
10-02-2009, 11:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by kwolney01
Wow, I live in the U.S and I didn't know about this? That's sad :(

I think it's great that Muslims did this, yes one said they do not believe in Shariah law but that is one person not the whole. Plenty of Muslims living in Shariah law countries and do not follow it correctly. Let's give our brothers and sisters some support, instead of pointing out the flaws. :D

Thanks for sharing.

Jazak Allah Khair
I wholeheartedly disagree. As a brother was telling me last week: "What is the point of this? To show numbers? If so, isn't that what the Eid salaat is for? The only other reason is to get on the good side of the US and there is already too much flag worship amongst muslims as it is."

S_87
10-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Beyah expressed his pride in the United States. "We don't believe in Sharia,"
:sl:

kafirs...
wonder if the way they are facing is really the qiblah TBH

YusufNoor
10-02-2009, 02:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

kafirs...
wonder if the way they are facing is really the qiblah TBH

it appears that the Capitol was their Qibla....

:wa:

rpwelton
10-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Every time Uthman posts an article I get more worried for our ummah, as I realize the sad state of affairs we're in, where extremists on both sides (modernists and those who take innocent lives) are given loud voices.

Jazak Allah khayrn for your efforts in keeping us apprised on the news abroad (although DC is not far from where I am).

GuestFellow
10-02-2009, 04:04 PM
^ I think some Muslims are trying to show the kaffir that Islam is good and peaceful...however we are trying to please them at the same time and this conflicts with our views.

We need to be firm with our views whether they like it or not.

rpwelton
10-02-2009, 04:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
^ I think some Muslims are trying to show the kaffir that Islam is good and peaceful...however we are trying to please them at the same time and this conflicts with our views.

We need to be firm with our views whether they like it or not.
Agreed. Prayers openly are fine. But the article denotes the idea that the organizers are looking to appease the US people by disavowing shari'ah and showing pride for their country.

We need to show Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance, but not at the expense of our deen and dignity.

north_malaysian
10-03-2009, 05:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85
I hope that the place is already cleaned and prepared, because next week wiccans will have their "Day of Prayer" at Capitol. Nonetheless, they dont have much time, as scientologists are appearing there just hour after wiccans. Tom Cruise and John Travolta will be there too as scientoligists. Next day the place must be ready for the coming of Jedi believers, probably about 4 thousands people. Police suspects small but loud counter- protest from far right wing Darth Vader fan club. Freedom, equality,brotherhood. My heart is floorishing. Make love, not war.
and those in "Trust Jesus" group have to camp there for days in order to give more and more fliers...

north_malaysian
10-03-2009, 05:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor

it appears that the Capitol was their Qibla....

:wa:
maybe it's was intentionally built facing Mecca... in case when we "conquered" USA, the Capitol would be turned into a mosque... (dont take this seriously)

Amadeus85
10-03-2009, 04:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
maybe it's was intentionally built facing Mecca... in case when we "conquered" USA, the Capitol would be turned into a mosque... (dont take this seriously)
Pheww!, Good that I read this sentence to the end, because I was just going to call to mister Barrack Hussein Obama about this. You are lucky one NM.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.