/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Envy that is permissible

syilla
10-02-2009, 09:15 AM
:salamext:

During my schooldays i always been told that in Islam it is good to envy those person who have higher knowledge and practice what he knows.

and also i found this

Ibn Mas`ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:
The Prophet (PBUH) said, "Envy is permitted only in two cases: A man whom Allah gives wealth, and he disposes of it rightfully, and a man to whom
Allah gives knowledge which he applies and teaches it.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: According to Imam An-Nawawi's explanation, the word Hasad
(jealousy) is used in the sense of Ghibtah i.e., envy. In Islam, jealousy is
forbidden and is held unlawful. The reason being that one who is jealous wants that the person, who possesses the quality of which he is jealous, be deprived of that quality.

Envy is permissible for the reason that when one seems that a person has been graced by Allah with certain gifts and qualities, he also desires to be blessed with those gifts.

In the latter case, he does not grumble and grieve but eagerly prays to Allah for those gifts. `Knowledge' here stands for the knowledge of the Qur'an and Hadith because this knowledge alone is beneficial for man, and it is through this knowledge that correct judgements can be made among the people. This Hadith has an inducement for acquiring useful knowledge along with wealth to spend in the ways ordained by Allah.
Can anyone care to explain?

Thanks in advance.

Wassallam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- IqRa -
10-02-2009, 12:54 PM
So what are we explaining here exactly?

M.B
10-02-2009, 08:55 PM
:sl:

confused

:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
10-02-2009, 09:47 PM
well sis i see it this way

its hard to hate a mans riches and want it to decrease when your always seeing him spend it in the way of Allaah.

and its hard to hate a man for his islamic good deeds and knowledge when his always using it in the way of Allaah.

therefore these are permissable and does not come under jelousy (because you dont want that taken away from theM).

i hope that makes slight sense...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
OurIslamic
10-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Hmm, I never knew that.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.